Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.
Maihon

US Cruiser Design Question

5 comments in this topic

[TAW]
Players
126 posts
4,635 battles

Have been wondering why in some US Cruisers, that mount both triple and twin main turrets, the triple turret was placed in the B or X position and the twin in the A or Y position i.e. Pensacola & Dallas, from a stability p.o.v. it doesn't seem to make much sense to mount the heavier turret in a higher position? Much appreciated if someone could answer this so I can sleep at night :)

[CATS]
Players
16,855 posts
11,567 battles

That is because of the width of the ship. The ships are too narrow at that position for a bigger turret.

A triple turret would have needed more width, which would have reduced speed or the they would have needed the make the ship longer.

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,842 posts
4,300 battles

Dallas is partly WG fantasy because the project it's based on was an 8-gun ship. It got upgraded to 10 in game and I guess they just blindly copied the Pensacola arrangement.

Interesting point, the barbettes for all four turrets on Pensacola are actually the same diameter. The width restriction is more to do with how fine the underwater hull is around the magazines. Basically the turrets are that way around because it was the only way to make the ship as fast as was required without making it heavier.

One of the early designs for the Lexington class battlecruisers would also have used this turret arrangement for similar reasons, with 14" guns.

Sign in to follow this