Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
IanH755

What will be the effect on player numbers in Ranked/Clan Wars due to the new Arsenal?

18 comments in this topic

Players
1,378 posts
5,380 battles

Hi all,

With the introduction of the new Arsenal feature, which rewards Ranked and Clan Wars much higher than PvP, WG seems to be pushing more people into playing Ranked and Clan Wars as those players will earn their Coal, Oil and Steel at a faster rate than those not playing those modes.

So what effect do people think that will have on the next Ranked and Clan Wars series?

Personally I'm not convinced it's a great idea to massively increase the number of players who may not want to play those modes but feel they have to to earn Coal etc in a quick enough manner compared to PvP earnings. I think lots of players (like myself) will now feel like they have to throw themselves into a game mode they don't like just because of the pressure, real or perceived, that WG has put on them if they want to earn Coal etc to buy say Signals for example. I think that will be a negative experience for both those who don't usually play Ranked/CW and also those who do enjoy those modes yet now have many more unhappy/unskilled players, who feel "forced" to play, potentially on their team leading to a worse experience for everyone.

I like the idea of the Arsenal I really do and I have zero problem with Ships etc being kept behind Steel "skill walls", I just feel that people who want the "cheaper" items like signals/camos etc are going to feel "forced" into game modes they don't like and don't usually play, just to feel like they have a realistic chance of earning enough Coal etc to be able to purchase them, rather than waiting for container drops, missions, SC's etc.

Of course thats just my opinion and I realise others may/will feel differently so I'm happy to debate with folks but lets try and remain respectful of each other.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
889 posts
8,363 battles

Au contraire friend,I think I will never have to go through the bane of Ranked after the new system.

Clan Wars I enjoy anyway

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
169 posts
10,304 battles

I have finally no reason to ever bother with ranked again.

Personally I think that ranked player numbers will go down a little and cw numbers go up.

But that's only based on my opinion of ranked being cancer and cw the only reason to keep playing this game 

• Cool 3

[SCRUB]
Players
1,589 posts
13,507 battles
21 minutes ago, tank276 said:

Au contraire friend,I think I will never have to go through the bane of Ranked after the new system.

Clan Wars I enjoy anyway

This^^

1 minute ago, _Kettenbeisser said:

I have finally no reason to ever bother with ranked again.

Personally I think that ranked player numbers will go down a little and cw numbers go up.

But that's only based on my opinion of ranked being cancer and cw the only reason to keep playing this game 

And this^^

• Cool 2

[TTT]
Players
4,253 posts
7,934 battles

there's also the fact that right now we have no idea what kind of economy WG has planned for Coal at least - we have not seen any missions to earn Coal yet, but that doesnt mean we never will and who knows what amounts those will give (just look at the ridiculous inflation of signals and camos...). And in the same vein, who knows whether they're going to make Steel accessible through means other than just the two we know of right now, although that does seem a little less likely

Players
2,455 posts
3 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

there's also the fact that right now we have no idea what kind of economy WG has planned for Coal at least - we have not seen any missions to earn Coal yet, but that doesnt mean we never will and who knows what amounts those will give (just look at the ridiculous inflation of signals and camos...). And in the same vein, who knows whether they're going to make Steel accessible through means other than just the two we know of right now, although that does seem a little less likely

There is a 5k coal mission up at the moment. :Smile_Default:

[TTT]
Players
4,253 posts
7,934 battles
6 minutes ago, bushwacker001 said:

There is a 5k coal mission up at the moment. :Smile_Default:

oh? derp me then, havent gotten ingame yet and didnt see one announced on the patchnotes :Smile_sceptic:

Beta Tester
4,525 posts
9,851 battles

Well I'll probably try to play to rank 1 again, at least until I've gotten the available ships I can buy with steel, as the "bonus" cammos aren't really something I can find worth my time to go for. (I play CW because it's fun so I'll continue that, ranked is far more of a grind I stop because it ruins my fun). I bet you'll see more capable players who have avoided ranked go there now to get the last bit of steel for some ship or whatnot.

The mayor difference I expect is a lot more people trying CW to get the "easy" steel from the newbie leagues (squall, gale and storm), with a bunch of crying as a result of all the people who thought they could get even higher but hit their skill cap. Those sort of players might also be even more desperate to get to rank 1, but that's a lot harder than just getting to storm.

[HOO]
Players
1,244 posts
2,661 battles

What might change, is that players who never really wanted to join a clan, will now feel they have to to get steel and coal at the higher earning rate

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
4,525 posts
9,851 battles
36 minutes ago, Fat_Maniac said:

What might change, is that players who never really wanted to join a clan, will now feel they have to to get steel and coal at the higher earning rate

You won't really get much more coal if you're in a clan (a very minor chance at the odd extra container from +3% xp)

At most you might push to get into a clan for the reason I already listed, getting a small amount of easy steel from the newbie leagues (there's no change for such a player playing ranked).

Players
1,378 posts
5,380 battles
8 hours ago, AgarwaenME said:

You won't really get much more coal if you're in a clan (a very minor chance at the odd extra container from +3% xp)

Don't you get Oil from playing in a Clan and Oil can be converted to Coal?

Beta Tester
169 posts
10,304 battles
3 hours ago, IanH755 said:

Don't you get Oil from playing in a Clan and Oil can be converted to Coal?

You used to collect all oil for clans in a personal wallet this wallet got converted into coal and you no longer collect personal oil.

Players
1,378 posts
5,380 battles
5 hours ago, _Kettenbeisser said:

You used to collect all oil for clans in a personal wallet this wallet got converted into coal and you no longer collect personal oil.

Thanks for the info, didn't know that!

Players
3,064 posts
13,708 battles

You have to give Wargaming credit for their ingenuity.

While the rest of the world has known how to get oil from coal for a long time (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coal_liquefaction),

Wargaming have found a way to reverse the process! :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 1

[LOTS_]
Players
12 posts
6,525 battles

History showed that MMOs that focused heavy on clans while ignoring casual PVP and PVE suffered drastic drops in player numbers and some eventually died out, so....

Beta Tester
4,525 posts
9,851 battles
43 minutes ago, vaaltra said:

History showed that MMOs that focused heavy on clans while ignoring casual PVP and PVE suffered drastic drops in player numbers and some eventually died out, so....

Really.. which history?

Players
951 posts
8,877 battles
59 minutes ago, vaaltra said:

*cough* Warcraft, CS:GO, CoD, Battlefield, Overwatch, Guildwars, do i need to continue? *cough*

Sign in to follow this