You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
IanH755

Operation Cherry Blossom - Your First thoughts?

158 comments in this topic

Players
1,378 posts
5,380 battles

Hi all,

I've only played this three times (Balti, Kutu, Clev) so far but it's a very fun mission so far. It's just difficult enough that a five star win isn't in any way guaranteed but just easy enough to be hectic fun, especially once the enemy Torp Bombers start arriving in large numbers or when the reduced visibility of the "Night mode" means Cruisers as well as DD''s can pop up at 5-6km range. I've had two 4 Star wins and a 3 Star but my only issue really is that saving the 2 Marine Detachments at the start is incredibly hard due to the lack of gun range on friendly ships so it feels more MM RNG rather than skill based.

In my opinion 152mm 8 second reload ships which have Def AA or Hydro rule this OP (Chappy, Kutu, Clev, Edin etc) as the slower reload of the 203mm ships means that when a bot ship has say 2k health left and you fire, an 8 sec ship "kill steals" from you and that will happen an awful lot so target selection is extremely important and Def AA/Hydro is needed due to the sheer amount of torps and planes around.

Regarding the AA situation, all 3 ships I used have good AA which is needed as the enemy Torp planes seem quite "hard" for the AA to knock down (even with Def AA & Man AA combo on my Kutu with 900dps at 7.2km) until they reach 5km from your ship where they start to melt so I suspect that these aren't T8 planes.

So far the teams I've played on had 1 great team (everyone got 1200-1700XP+), 1 good (everyone got 1000-1700XP+) and 1 mediocre (3 got 1400XP+ and 4 got under 900XP with 1 AFK) yet even with the mediocre team the mission was still achievable to 3 star levels with 3 good players able to drag the other 4 through to success, something which are now no longer able to do in the other Scenario's.

Anyway, here's my best result from the 3 games so far -

shot-18_06.28_13_36.35-0841.thumb.jpg.b1111eb02fd6ab17baaa2993b24d61b9.jpg

• Cool 3

[HOO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,125 posts

Managed a 5-star victory in the first try, with an AFK Baltimore on the team, all the rest were Clevelands and 2 Chapayevs. Fun, albeit a bit bleak scenario. Perfectly tailored for cruisers though, but therefore a bit predictable.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
3,288 posts
9,342 battles

Hi all,

I played 4-5 Operation "Cherry Blossom" thus far and got maximum of 11 kills (and 5 stars 1 time - 4 stars 2 times)... I like it... I am using my "Cleveland" for it and grinding it to full specs... :Smile_Default:

Leo "Apollo11"

[PKTZS]
Weekend Tester
2,410 posts
14,618 battles

Easy, very easy. I'd say that it was harder during PTS.

I was quite surprised to find 3 Zaos, but apparently they only fire a few salvoes before leaving the area.

Players
3,064 posts
13,683 battles

Applause to Wargaming for

a) producing ANY new scenario.

b) for introducing something new into operations - the Night battle.

c) For basing it roughly on a real life event

d) producing something which has obviously given a lot of pleasure to many people.

I've not tried the new op on the live server, but did try it a fair bit on PTS and could not get comfortable with it. My reservations are:

1) I find it difficult to see anything. My eyes are in good condition but affected by deteriorating "night vision" (happens to us older people)

2) It is just a bit TOO hectic for me. It takes stress past the "enjoyable" level into "un-enjoyable"

3) All operations have restrictions, but the "allied cruiser" is slightly annoying, coming as it does after a similar restriction in the last new op "Hermes"

Admittedly this is coming from a grumpy old git who wants to play his German ships! :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 3

[-NFG-]
[-NFG-]
Players
137 posts
6,002 battles

One person using radar as soon as the first !Detected icon pops up is a good idea.  Also hydro at the same time if the ship has it.

• Cool 1

Players
907 posts
11,126 battles

So far I did it with the Cleve and the Baltimore. Not at all statistically relevant number, plus I played the Cleve in my very first time with this scenario, still, I managed to do better with the Baltimore. Shell ballistic is easier to handle,  AP is very much an option due to the almost constant presence of hostile heavy cruisers, plus - while a gimmick - you can more optimally "abuse" the visibility with the reload which is close to the bloom time of the concealment (at night). Even the AA is almost identical(ly good).

Sure, if you can put the DPM where it belongs, CLs probably reign supreme, but it was usually the case with the operations.

As such, I was more impressed by the feeling that the heavy cruiser seems to be rather viable compared to what I thought earlier. I might give it yet another go. It's fun to lob around American Piercing, and the constant shell switching (well beforehand, due to the reload) is an interesting aspect too.

Edit: Also got a secondary kill with the Balti. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Maybe it's just confirmation bias, but sometimes the american cruiser secondaries feel rather accurate even (obviously) without any speccing into them. Managed to do something similar with the Pensacola not to long ago as well.

Then again, it's probably just RNGesus telling me "Slide away, let me have some fun too."

Players
3,064 posts
13,683 battles
2 minutes ago, Xanta99 said:

One person using radar as soon as the first !Detected icon pops up is a good idea.  Also hydro at the same time if the ship has it.

Tips on how to play ops are always welcome. :Smile_honoring:

Also   ... nice avatar!

• Cool 1

[DAVY]
Players
778 posts
10,682 battles

The scenario is fun but 5 stars could be challenging with average random team. 

My problem with scenarios is that once 5 star is achieved the actual reward is *meh*. 

[CRU_]
Players
171 posts
6,437 battles

5 star first try, did it with the cleve with 3 other random cleves on the team, and it eats through what the reds throw at it. In all honesty, they must have dialed the difficulty back due to complaints recently about the other ops, because it was a breeze, we only lost 1 ship.

Players
3,064 posts
13,683 battles

Actually to succeed in Operation "Cherry Blossom" you need a polished team to go "hell for leather" for the objectives.

If you find yourself in a poor team the boot is on the other foot of course. (I would not like to be in your shoes in that case - you might be the sole good player). You will need to brush up your performance in order to shine. :Smile_Default:

For those who are wondering what I am raving about ....

[DAVY]
Players
778 posts
10,682 battles
1 hour ago, zengaze said:

5 star first try, did it with the cleve with 3 other random cleves on the team, and it eats through what the reds throw at it. In all honesty, they must have dialed the difficulty back due to complaints recently about the other ops, because it was a breeze, we only lost 1 ship.

Than you were quite lucky as I got 5* on sixth try. On first five tries either to few ships reached on time so they couldn't save onshore troops or more than 3 people died in the torp soup after. 

[JRM]
Players
1,678 posts
15,476 battles

Played 3 times - 1st a 3 star with clevlend, 2nd a defeat due to a bug that stopped the mission counter at some 15min (5min in) and the carrier task force never appeared (played that one with charles martel) and 3rd was 5 star again with cleave... Its fun as its new :Smile_glasses:

[EST]
[EST]
Players
873 posts
19,396 battles

1st thought: Let's do it 5 star 1st try!

2nd Gotta keep out of Myoko torp range or not broadside.

3rd Im sunken noob(got those Myoko torps).

4th I hope those last 4 ships survive.

5th Done, now i can say its easy. :cap_win:

[WG-EU]
[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Community, Alpha Tester
3,435 posts
6,608 battles

Got 5 stars on first try - with Cleveland. Did not really have issue with saving the Marines, I suspect the problem may stem with some teams focusing too much on dodging the DDs and then going after the flanking heavy cruisers - but esp. as the bombardment group starts stationary, if you push enough to be in range when they start you have a chance for few "free" solid hits.

What i found more challenging was teams bunching up around the beachhead and focusing on enemy ships instead of on suppressing the airfields - it is easy enough, but you have to push in to get around the mountains and if team focuses on safe long range plinking on enemy cruisers, they may be too late.

• Cool 3

[UNICS]
Players
3,284 posts
13,006 battles

First game random team, 5 stars not breaking sweat at any time. I wasn't the top scorer. Ships and scoreboard in order:

4 Clevelands

1 Balti

1 Kutuzov

1 Edinburgh

Felt too easy, but might have been lucky with good team.

edit: trying another battle - 6 clevelands + my chapayev..

Beta Tester
1,933 posts
6,260 battles

First game, i landed in a team with SCRUB's, game was fast,they just buldozed through the bots, the operation seems easy. 

4x Kutuzov

1x Cleveland

The others i forgot witch ships were. :Smile_smile:

I'll play a few more tonight, the op is fun. 

• Cool 1

Weekend Tester
612 posts
4 hours ago, Xanta99 said:

You can use radar at the start... DDs are in range.

Players
907 posts
11,126 battles

Easy? It seems so, at least for now. Out of the possible 20 stars of today's games, managed to grab 18.

But say it out loud a few more times, and WG will realize that this is an easy >1400xp for T8 cruisers and they will pull a Narai with this one as well faster than you could shout "Belfast is balanced". :Smile_trollface:

Weekend Tester
612 posts

Easy ?

I lost a game. Aobas were focused, Myokos ignored.

Dead bases, defeat... spring sky wasted.

I decided to carry my teams by sinking aobas asap, so as not to tempt my teammates to shoot them.

[SCRUB]
Players
7,983 posts
10,373 battles

If your team has even just a handful of players who aren't complete potatoes this scenario is laughably easy.

Played this with a couple clanmates and three randoms and it was a boring shooting gallery.