You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
ibble_dibble_no6

Name Change on two accounts

7 comments in this topic

Question

Players
14 posts
5,421 battles

i currently have two accounts (main and secondary) on the EU server, and am looking at changing the names on both accounts. i know where to change the name, but one of the name changes would be to one of the accounts former name. so my question is, can this be done? is there a time period between dropping the name from one account and taking it up on the other account?

6 answers to this question

Players
14 posts
5,421 battles

well with not answer being provided. i went ahead and have changed the names on both accounts.

so to answer my question. Yes you can change the name on an account to a former name on another account.

there was a time period between changing names as only had one phone to register to each account to help with the name changes. time period was also to co-inside with email changes too. which are still on going.

[HOO]
Players
1,241 posts
2,657 battles
2 hours ago, ibble_dibble_no6 said:

Yes you can change the name on an account to a former name on another account.

@MrConwayhow come players can reuse names, but clans are not allowed to switch tags or names across a caln group. When I tried this I was told by support a clan name and tag could only ever be used once and if changed to something else they were gone forever.

Surely it;s the same principle with player names . If player A, JoeBloggs changes his name to DaveJonesm and another player B called FredSmith who does not know player A in any form decides to change his name to JoeBloggs, why is that allowed but large clans with multiple tags are not allowed to swap there tag names around ?

Players
14 posts
5,421 battles

@Fat_Maniac my take on what your asking is, and this is only my assumption.

is that there are 10's of thousands of players who over time (be it years in some cases.). wish to change their in-game name as it no longer pertains to them (for whatever reasons). but realised that the name they'd like to use is on another of their accounts (another account for whatever reasons). so they start the process of name changing at the cost of the player doing this. or said player after changing their name doesnt like new name and changes it back. again done at the cost of the player (a money maker for WG as its not cheap for some players). 

in regards to clans and clan tags. i see them (and i believe so did WG at the start of clans being formed) as being more permanent in nature. as it is seen as a name that would stand over a long period of time. (by this i mean years or decades, not days or hours).

or, everything i've just said was hog wash as i found a loophole that WG werent aware of. lol. :P

[HOO]
Players
1,241 posts
2,657 battles
11 hours ago, ibble_dibble_no6 said:

@Fat_Maniac my take on what your asking is, and this is only my assumption.

is that there are 10's of thousands of players who over time (be it years in some cases.). wish to change their in-game name as it no longer pertains to them (for whatever reasons). but realised that the name they'd like to use is on another of their accounts (another account for whatever reasons). so they start the process of name changing at the cost of the player doing this. or said player after changing their name doesnt like new name and changes it back. again done at the cost of the player (a money maker for WG as its not cheap for some players). 

in regards to clans and clan tags. i see them (and i believe so did WG at the start of clans being formed) as being more permanent in nature. as it is seen as a name that would stand over a long period of time. (by this i mean years or decades, not days or hours).

or, everything i've just said was hog wash as i found a loophole that WG werent aware of. lol. :P

Ahh but ....

WG allow any clan to change it's tag and name. Tag change costs 2500 gold, and the tag must never have used before anywhere, even if that tag is currently not used by anyone anywhere, name is free but same as tag  it must never have been used anywhere before ever.

Player name changes also cost 2500, but as long as name is currently not used yuo can take it, even if it has been used somewhere before.

I can understand the logic of clan names to a point - say OMNI abandon the tag, somebody else could take it, and people might think it's the original OMNI clan, but the same can be said of player names.

Why is one allowed but the other not.

[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
2,649 posts
2,440 battles

On 8/2/2018 at 7:44 PM, Fat_Maniac said:

@MrConwayhow come players can reuse names, but clans are not allowed to switch tags or names across a caln group. When I tried this I was told by support a clan name and tag could only ever be used once and if changed to something else they were gone forever.

Surely it;s the same principle with player names . If player A, JoeBloggs changes his name to DaveJonesm and another player B called FredSmith who does not know player A in any form decides to change his name to JoeBloggs, why is that allowed but large clans with multiple tags are not allowed to swap there tag names around ?

Clans have a different level of impact compared to player names, some of them are even immortalized in game by having their names displayed on the map loading screen following clan battles victories.

In our experience it has always been better not to let the clan names be re-used.

• Cool 1

[HOO]
Players
1,241 posts
2,657 battles
1 hour ago, MrConway said:

Clans have a different level of impact compared to player names, some of them are even immortalized in game by having their names displayed on the map loading screen following clan battles victories.

In our experience it has always been better not to let the clan names be re-used.

Ok that is sort of what I expected, as it does make a lot of sense. Thank you for responding :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1