You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Rionage

If supportive actions earn more xp than doing direct dmg.... would WOWS be a very different game?

19 comments in this topic

Players
76 posts

Just trying to imagine if supportive role, such as tanking damage for your team, or spotting enemy constantly, resetting caps etc... would actually give more exp than doing direct damage to enemies.

How do you think WOWS would be different from todays game meta? :cap_money:

Write down below what YOU think WOWS gameplay would be like if this become true. :cap_rambo:

Would there be more teamplay?

Or perhaps more campfest?

Maybe the game meta would be the same as today?

Guys, time to use our imagination !! :cap_hmm:

[CATS]
Players
16,855 posts
11,567 battles

People want to dakka dakka and make boom. It would not change much.

Even now players are leaving caps before they are capped, despite the fact that capping gives good XP and winning gives 50% extra.

Players do not really play reward oriented.

• Cool 3

Beta Tester
2,433 posts
3,322 battles

Hate to say it, but I doubt it. Some players wouldn't change no matter what.

• Cool 2

[BONUS]
Beta Tester
2,741 posts
7,759 battles

I'f I'm in a DD in a cap being radarded and targeted by 5 enemy cruisers while my own team sailed away I'll leave the cap.  Yes.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[SCRUB]
Players
699 posts
12,913 battles

Just a quick question - in WoWp aren't there specific things that earn extra xp for the different classes (fighters, bombers, etc.)? 

Players
76 posts
3 hours ago, Freyr_90 said:

Just a quick question - in WoWp aren't there specific things that earn extra xp for the different classes (fighters, bombers, etc.)? 

Sorry, I dont play WOWP but I dont think they have the same reward system, just like the differences between WOT and WOWS reward systems. Probably not comparable. :cap_hmm:

[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
6,009 battles

Ask yourself: if instead of balancing everything with the lowest common denominator in hand, and instead was geared towards people interested in taking part in such activity, how much better you think the game would be?

Big issue is all that people that "mah fun", while they yolo matches away.

Other points are: you cant cure stupid. This game is coded by WG that has severe issues coding working chat windows so...

• Funny 3

[AMOK]
Players
1,117 posts
6,573 battles

The game/players wouldn't change at all...but it would be less pain in the [edited]for the players who actually care primarily for the objectives and secondarily for dämätsch.

• Cool 4

Players
76 posts
7 minutes ago, Donar79 said:

The game/players wouldn't change at all...but it would be less pain in the [edited]for the players who actually care primarily for the objectives and secondarily for dämätsch.

I think that actually sounds great!!

People can yolo and do dmg which prevents stale and boring game meta, and at the same time ppl who play to the objectives to get the team a win is rewarded far more than those that yolo!! :cap_hmm:

[HOO]
Players
1,241 posts
2,657 battles

What WG could do, is build a different game mode, where team play (supportive actions) was rewarded more than raw damage. The player base then has a choice.

But just changing the reward system of the current modes, will make no difference, simply because most of the current player base don't understand how XP is earned atm.

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
3,057 posts
6,102 battles
4 hours ago, Freyr_90 said:

Yes there are. Ground attack get a rating based on ground targets, fighters get a rating based on planes shot down over friendly caps (I.e. defend)

Regarding a change to xp:

The potatoes who potato at the moment will continue to do so.

The people who "play properly" will continue to do so and maybe get better rewards.

The people who just try to get the most personal gains will do weird stuff to maximise their gains.

Imagine if you will:

"All forces target that destroyer who's capping!"

"Lol no, he's shooting my armour belt - why would I want to kill him, he's getting me loads of potential damage!"

The other point that people tend to skip, is how the system determines a useful action.

Damage and kills are easy. Take damage value, multiply by class/tier = xp value.

How do you work out what is a "useful" smoking of your allies?

Smoking a nearly dead cruiser so he can escape is certainly useful.

Smoking an area so a radar ship can move up is also useful.

Smoking your own team in spawn is really not useful at all

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,256 posts
11,624 battles
2 minutes ago, Xevious_Red said:

Yes there are. Ground attack get a rating based on ground targets, fighters get a rating based on planes shot down over friendly caps (I.e. defend)

Regarding a change to xp:

The potatoes who potato at the moment will continue to do so.

The people who "play properly" will continue to do so and maybe get better rewards.

The people who just try to get the most personal gains will do weird stuff to maximise their gains.

Imagine if you will:

"All forces target that destroyer who's capping!"

"Lol no, he's shooting my armour belt - why would I want to kill him, he's getting me loads of potential damage!"

The other point that people tend to skip, is how the system determines a useful action.

Damage and kills are easy. Take damage value, multiply by class/tier = xp value.

How do you work out what is a "useful" smoking of your allies?

Smoking a nearly dead cruiser so he can escape is certainly useful.

Smoking an area so a radar ship can move up is also useful.

Smoking your own team in spawn is really not useful at all

That part would be quite easy, I imagine, it could use the same check that Priority Target uses to determine how many enemies are aiming at the ship before it got smoked.

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
3,057 posts
6,102 battles
27 minutes ago, xxNihilanxx said:

That part would be quite easy, I imagine, it could use the same check that Priority Target uses to determine how many enemies are aiming at the ship before it got smoked.

That would certainly cover saving a team mate that is being peppered. What about situations where you want to move a (currently undetected) des moines up to a cap? Smoking a route to the cap is a very useful contribution, loved by radar ships everywhere.

However if the reward was based on how many people were targeting them, then doing this would gain you zero xp (as they are currently undetected).

It would also have some oddities - if I'm driving around in my khaba, keeping the agro on me, happily plunking away and not in any need of saving, and I drive through a smoke cloud and lose PT for a few seconds. Does whoever put the smoke down suddenly get a bunch of XP for "saving me"

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,256 posts
11,624 battles
4 hours ago, Xevious_Red said:

That would certainly cover saving a team mate that is being peppered. What about situations where you want to move a (currently undetected) des moines up to a cap? Smoking a route to the cap is a very useful contribution, loved by radar ships everywhere.

However if the reward was based on how many people were targeting them, then doing this would gain you zero xp (as they are currently undetected).

It would also have some oddities - if I'm driving around in my khaba, keeping the agro on me, happily plunking away and not in any need of saving, and I drive through a smoke cloud and lose PT for a few seconds. Does whoever put the smoke down suddenly get a bunch of XP for "saving me"

Yeah, fair points.

I guess, then, that we have to rely on the win XP bonus to cover rewards for teamplay as the side that exhibits the best teamplay has an inherent likelihood of also being the winning side.

[NOHE]
[NOHE]
Players
239 posts
5,227 battles
3 hours ago, _ramrus_ said:

As if there is something wrong in wanting to fight instead of sitting in cap looking at the timer...

There isn't anything wrong with it per se, but when it comes back to bite the entire team in the rear, then there is a problem.

This happens all too often.

Players
3,093 posts
9,555 battles
17 hours ago, Rionage said:

Just trying to imagine if supportive role, such as tanking damage for your team, or spotting enemy constantly, resetting caps etc... would actually give more exp than doing direct damage to enemies.

How do you think WOWS would be different from todays game meta? :cap_money:

Write down below what YOU think WOWS gameplay would be like if this become true. :cap_rambo:

Would there be more teamplay?

Or perhaps more campfest?

Maybe the game meta would be the same as today?

Guys, time to use our imagination !! :cap_hmm:

At the moment the given xp is a joke regarding how to gain it.

Now it feels like World of Warship Camper.....

WG made big failures to give so much xp to direct damage.

I love my bbs but you are fu....ed because less for tanking damage and try to play for the team.

I saw so many campers doing nothing for the team, played like big pussies and at the end they were in the upper level of the xp list.

WG and balancing isnt working......

Players
430 posts
4,209 battles

My 2c.

For supportive actions to earn MORE xp than direct dmg - NO!

For supportive actions being competitive with direct dmg in terms of XP earnings - YES PLEASE!

If playing for the win was as effective in terms of XP gains as pure damage dealing, this would mean that more team-oriented players would move up the ship ranks faster than selfish players. This should be further compounded by the fact, that statistically they should have higher winrate owing to their play style, which would further increase their XP gains vs the more selfish players. In time, there would be more better players at high tiers, because they reach there more quickly, which could trigger a move towards an overall healthier meta, where people actually try to play for the win and use their ship in a way that benefits the whole team. One can dream, can't he???

Beta Tester
855 posts

Play excatly as you want to play. Some people enjoy playing lone wolf, others enjoy trying for teamwork. 

If one of the gamestyles frustrates you just switch it around. 

Fact of the matter is that you are only a factor of 1 in a valuepool of 12, and there is only so much you can do over time. Surely certain games you can carry and be the posterchild and have your 15 minutes. But overtime you will on avrg. have the ability to have high impact in 8.3% of your games, and you will not win every one of those either.

Point is that if you want to play very teamoriented, do some decent plays (or high winrate) you just find a few likeminded friends and go at it in a division. Because if you remain solo you will end up between 45-55% winrate, and where you end up is pretty much  RNG. 

How EXP/Credits are awarded will not change anytime soon, much easier to hook up with some friends :)