Adundaz

New Cadet

7 comments in this topic

[STEG]
Players
2 posts
752 battles

New player just checking inn to say hello.

I am not a big gamer, but I have been playing WOT on console since the release on PS4,

and have just got myself a PC so I could play this game (the day before the announcement of WoWs console).

My twich muscle is not strong so I enjoy games With a little slower pace and that rewards planning, strategy and reasearch.

Reasearch can be a trap though, spending more time watching youtube about a game than actually playing the game.

So far I like Cruisers and Battleships. With Destroyers I have not found the right balance of how hard to push forward.

Got some random questions so here it goes:

-One thing you wish you knew when you started Your naval career?

-The lowest tiers is good for learing to Control the ships, but at what tier does the ships start to feal more "complet"?

-How long do you stay spotted after you break contact?

-Is there a russian bias in WoWs too?

-Any Norwegian clans that accepts noobs?

-What skills If any are universal for for all classes, and what do I og for first?

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
1,491 posts
5,880 battles

Welcome to the game! And to hopefully answer some questions:

- I wished I knew/learned earlier about overmatching and how damage is calculated, luckily there are plenty of ways to know that now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jAaPu_FNLg http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Gunnery_%26_Armor_Penetration

- Tier 5-7 is where most ship lines start to show their national flavour, so getting there you can start to get the handle of your respective nation.

- 20 seconds after you fire your guns, same for every class in the game. So if you break line of sight for more than 20 sec and as long as noone is around you will remain undetected. http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Detection

- I would argue no. Yes there have been some questionable decisions regarding russian ships but when you look at some other ship lines or ships (RN BB's, Belfast, Saipan, König Albert, Kamikaze, Black, to name a few) then claiming Russian bias is a bit meh.

- Not sure, check the clan section and see if you can find one. I know some of the should exist. https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/forum/507-clan-zone/

- No skills are universal for all classes (well, arguably priority target), but some skills are universal for some classes. Like last stand for destroyers, super intendent for battleships and advanced firing training for cruisers. Offcourse this can vary even more between ship lines or even individual ships, but the general build for a battleship for example is either Priority target or Preventive maintenance--> Adrenaline rush/Expert marksman-->Super intendent--> Concealment expert.

Hope this helped a bit, good luck and don't be afraid to return to the forum whenever you have further questions.

[SM0KE]
Players
2,943 posts
6,862 battles
10 hours ago, Ad_Undas said:

-One thing you wish you knew when you started Your naval career?

Not strictly the one thing for me (I already knew about this from WOT), but a lot of people used to miss that you can buy the premium versions of consumables with silver (rather than having to use doubloons), but the system defaults to the gold option.

If you haven't found this already, always set your premium consumables to be renewed with silver.

[SCRUB]
Players
7,998 posts
10,396 battles
11 hours ago, Ad_Undas said:

-How long do you stay spotted after you break contact?

11 hours ago, ollonborre said:

- 20 seconds after you fire your guns, same for every class in the game. So if you break line of sight for more than 20 sec and as long as noone is around you will remain undetected. http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Detection

To expand on that:

You become spotted at the same time as the spotted symbol pops up for you (no delay as in WoT) and you are unspotted the moment the symbol vanishes again. The game notifies you in realtime if you're detected or not, no captain skill needed (anymore) like Sixth Sense or whatever it's called in WoT.

What ollenborre refered to is the detectability penalty after firing your mainguns (which extends your detectability to the same range as your mainguns). That lasts for 20 seconds until it resets back to your default detectability, though you can still become unspotted within those 20 seconds if nothing is within that range or no one has a line of sight on you. It is one of the detectabilty factors, the other ones should be explained in the link he provided (there's also a guide in the newcomer section on this forum).

• Cool 1

Players
2,834 posts
3,151 battles

What I like to do is fire right before I make myself scarse behind a mountain... 

Or, if I can arrange it (and in a cruiser you usually manage this) fire in a arc OVER a mountain. 

When in higher tier games, CV gets more common and you can forget going undetected in a BB. Even in a CL you are usually fooked. 

So these mountains get more important every time. 

Players
4,291 posts
11,774 battles

Welcome OP! Good to see you get your socks wet! I tried to dry my socks in WOT but I sucked beyond the realm of sucking in that game. Made me look like a top ace player in Wow's (which I'm not) compared to that insult to retardation which I managed to pull...

Don't worry too much with the console version of wows. Even Flammu (a true top ace player) doesn't have the slightest clue on how this game could be put on a console.... I can't wrap my brains around it either. Not to scare you: you will learn them all with practice and reading here at the Forum but there are way to many controls on the keyboard in wows.

Anyway: I hope you'll enjoy the floating, hyper steroid tanks! Feel free to ask questions (remember the search option!) on the Forum. There's no such thing as a dumb question. Except the one you don't ask.

Regarding your questions:

1 angling and different ammo types. My second neuron started to fire way too late before I figured that out

2 that's very personal POV dependent. For me it was at T8

3 answered: 20 seconds. Which can seem like an eternity in lots of situations!!

4 I would say no. My general impression of the Rashian sgips is that they have very powerful advantages but also very weak disadvantages (f.e. a cruiser has very hard hitting, optimal shell arc guns. But a broadside cruiser = a dead cruiser from T1 to 10). Battleship Nicolai is deemed OP (which I still vehemently disagree upon. See how "OP" it is when it's getting the attention of a CV but that's another debate). But in every line there are ships considered being very powerful and weak.

5 I'm from Holland. And now we finally getting rid of the PTSD from the Viking raids....

6 That's a tough one. I highly recommend this site: http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc It highly depends on the particular ship. The most "allround" captain skills I can think of are: Priority Target, Adrenaline Rush and Concealment Expert. For CV (carrier) Aircraft Servicing expert perhaps. But I don't advice you to play CV now. I know: have highly criticized CV play (it pains me some people took that personally. That was never my intention). Fact is: the CV play will have a major change coming in the foreseeable future. It'd be a shame if you'd just get the hang of it and suddenly you must relearn the whole thing over. I'd advice you to stick to destroyers, cruisers and battleships for now. Bottom line: inform yourself here on the Forum, compare your playstyle and pick the captain skills you feel best with.