howardxu_23

Enjoying this game so far, so further tips?

21 comments in this topic

Players
446 posts
897 battles

Recently started playing this because of my friend invited me to there, and have just unlocked the fuso in grinding the ijn bb line cause Yamato ( yes I may have rushed t3 and 4 a bit, but who wants to play a massively power creeped Kawachi with guns that make a vid game shotgun look like a sniper rifle and that is better off being a giant torpedo and the myogi which imo makes a better torpedo cause same reason as Kawachi guns, except less “pellets” per blast but better speed). So far my impression of the game is good, grind is slightly a bit on the harsh side but torlarable(no pain, no gain, cause end goal is Yamato)

Basically played by throwing things at the wall to see what sticks, so charged in 1v 5 and died horribly serveral times early on(still do it every now and then, cause my situational awareness is limited to on the spot events, but is getting better) realised the hard way that standard naval warfare tactics are all out of the window in here( real life say show as much of your side as possible to bring all guns to bear...you can imagine what happened next xP) eyeballing shells at first for a month before actually using the crosshair to aim once I realised what it is, and not just a cool decoration on screen. Found my love in bbs, with a side of carriers/ Russian cruisers cause a) my brother showed an intrest in this game,  b) Russian bias( just saw a Russian t1 gunboat back when I’m playing t1 basically solo 4 other ships) Learnt how to angle vs targets, 

Recently did my first attempted carry in a Kongō, but still lost cause no idea where the hell is the last dd lol x). (Thought that the massive masts that the Japanese ships had should be an advantage in daytime spotting over larger distances vs the shorter masts that the cruisers has, or is it actually useless in practice)

so right now I’m wondering if i’m progressing at the game at a healthy rate, or if I should slow down a bit further and play each ship out a bit more, but I’m not sure about this part, since ijn bbs can differ from each tier by a massive amount, especially when I heard fuso is more like you shotgun something and see if it hits, while Nagato has high accuracy, more marksman rifle esq and Kongo being a batlecrusier(fast battleship on tooltip is wrong, I get penned by cruisers on the main belt even when I think the angle should be reasonable, bb shells will often fly right through, battleship in my definition should be able to stop at least cruisers calibire shells from >9km on the main belt reliably regardless on how I derp. That said, still did what I think is reasonably well in there)

any additional tips is welcome, especially in the bb and aiming department( I have heard of aiming at the waterline, upper belt and deck area, but in which situations do you recommend in doing so for ijn bbs, especially considering they can vary quite a bit, and certain enimies)

[WG-EU]
WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,499 posts
11,916 battles
Vor 1 Stunde, howardxu_23 sagte:

any additional tips is welcome, especially in the bb and aiming department( I have heard of aiming at the waterline, upper belt and deck area, but in which situations do you recommend in doing so for ijn bbs, especially considering they can vary quite a bit, and certain enimies)

If you have an enemy ship broadside to you, aim at the waterline. When he angles, it depends. If your gun calibre is > 14,3 * enemy armor, then you can overmatch it from any angle and should still aim at waterline (bow or aft, not side armor). For example Fuso with 356 mm guns can overmatch up to 24mm armor. It helps to look at the armor schemes of ships in your port to see what you can overmatch. If you can't overmatch someone or are not sure, aim at the superstructure or guns. Disabling guns is always helpful and the superstructure is lightly armored and can be damaged from every angle.

Switching to HE is not recommended.

About your progress, I'd recommend you to play more different ship types, at least a little bit. Especially some destroyers since you never tried them, but it's important to know your enemy and what other ship types are capable of.

You don't want to end like those guys creating forum/reddit threads about how OP other ships they never played are :cap_haloween:

To learn even more, I recommend you the HelpMe project on Discord:

Players
2,834 posts
3,151 battles

You seem to be doing OK so far, progressing to a Kongo in 278 battles.

On the aiming department, there is a difference between AP and HE, but you probably know.

Usually shoot AP unless there is a 'paper boat' target, where you know the AP will only have over-penetration.

Nevertheless, shooting AP at an angled cruiser is legit (will get massive damage, if you hit).

As where to shoot - I never play IJN-BB, but US-BB and GB-BB. There are differences.

Such as being awfully slow, so once you get in a situation, the only way to get out is if they are all sunk.

Or if you are sunk... so you have to know which situations to avoid. I think that differs in the IJN-BBs.

But the US-BBs and the GB-BBs are a bit tankier.

But the main thing is to know WHAT you are shooting at, a BB is different than a CL or a DD..

So, where to shoot? First of all, WHEN to shoot. Are you detected? Then, shoot. 

But if you are NOT detected, it might be a better option to wait for a better occasion. 

Best situation:

- Some unsuspecting dufus that is standing still;

- preferably broadside;

- preferably a CL;

- prefeably the one that is closest. 

--> if you find a broadside 'parked' cruiser at ~10 km, aim carefully, he is dead. Instakill (unless you are unlucky).

--> CL, this is where you aim at the waterline, to make sure you hit the citadel. Too high and you do not kil him.

--> BB, you aim at the edge of deck/side unless it is a lower tier than you (then treat it as a CL). Damage may vary.

--> if he is not standing still (either BB or CL)

Well then aim giving 'lead'. Aim carefully. It will take time for reload, do not spill the ammo.

Aim at waterline (CL) or edge of deck (BB). 

--> If he is sideways, fire at the deck. The dispersion will do the rest. Or not.

Results will vary, but you can still citadel CL's (and low tier BBs) even if they are full frontal. 

If it is same-tier BB or even higher tier BB, then you may consider using HE.

You can also shoot HE, if you have noticed he just used his repair. If you start a fire it will clock up the damage.

But he can still repair it, so try to get in a position to finish him. 

ALWAYS check if there are no better targets to shoot at...  if you see a CL turning... he will go straight again at some point.

I never use much HE, except at close range cruisers and sometimes a DD at far range, or higher tier battleships.

But you must avoid higher tier BBs like the plague, you can shoot HE at them but they will spank you with AP. 

Best way to get hiegher tier BBs is to make sure they are already fighting with your teammate at the other side so their guns are turned.

Then help your teammate by shooting at them, use HE if they are angled and AP if you can get them broadsided.

With New York and Arizona/N.Mexico I manage to delete CLs and DDs using the AP, at a range of 15 km.

DDs are especially satisfying if you get them at long range. If the enemy have a lot of DDs, it is worth loading HE at the beginning of the game.

Watch carefully where they stop and start to smoke... 2 hits with HE will kill them. 

When shooting HE I usually do not take the full salvo, but I go boom-boom-boom. 

That way I can spread the pellets more, if a DD goes fast in a straight line usually I get them. 

I spread from left to right or a bit more if he is weaving (two or three big HE shells will kill him, usually).

If a DD or CL surprises you them go towards them (at slow speed),  they will have less chance of torpedoeing you.

Shoot at them with the front turrets, and after torpedo has passed swing the rear out to use rear turrets. 

I have surprised many DDs that way... they stand no chance once they lose their torps. 

NEVER get yourself in a situation where you have cruisers to left AND to the right. 

They will burn you down, you shoot one side and the other side can do their thing.

• Cool 2

Players
446 posts
897 battles

Well i do have preimiun during those times, and used the kawachi and myogi as giant tropedos more often then i actually hit something with them(kongo is a oasis once i got through both of them). Also  I find that running away from DD if possible to be much better, since a dd is always followed by several dds or the occasional cruiser, and only moving towards the dd if you have a cruiser/dd with you(that said, the secondary battery is supposed to deal with dds, but often have less then 1/4 the range of the same gun mounted on a cruiser, may as well give use proper manual control of them in the first place) 

Oh started to play some DDs, but since port slots are a limited commodity(playing this completely F2P as of now) so been using my brother's account to play his DDs (he tried the south Carolina and immediately went nope, so more of a cruiser/DD guy) and its pretty amazing how much a tiny boat with torps can influence the entire battle, hence once you're spotted, everyone that is within 12km of you immediately goes into full rape mode. Also showing that BB are little more then giant floating targets, just like in real life, but when they are not busy being one, they will vaporise pretty much anything they  can hit.

Players
446 posts
897 battles
39 minutes ago, Asparal said:

Btw Fuso when fully upgraded is one of the best BBs in the game tier by tier.

I say Nagato is better, since I have looked though the wiki and noted that it’s 41cm guns are the biggest, even right up to t9 provided there is no “a wild mushasi”, and I have faced against her serveral times, she can lolpen me through the bow, while I have to either fire HE at hers or wait till she shows me a broadside, and excellent accuracy on Nagato guns vs fuso’s more shotgun esq, which allows here to nagomon(yes I have watch kancolle stuff before, so a bit of a weeb :P) DDs better with a few turrets rather then trying to shotgun it and praying to rng that something hits.

While fuso has 4 guns more then Nagato and fire faster, I’d say how the guns are placed on a ship also can make a difference, Nagato is more traditional battleship in design, so can bring 50% more boom directly ahead, while fuso can only do 33% directly ahead, and 50% if you wiggle a bit more to make the third turret shoot past that enourmous pagoda mast.

that said, vs most other nations of the same tier, she has the most guns that fire the fastest, and losing a turret means you only lose 1/6 vs 1/4 of others, and powerful ap shells.

[GRKEN]
Beta Tester
3,552 posts
8,863 battles

Battleships aren't best for learning game basics like aiming.

With their slow reload they're very bad for practising leading.

Also random dispersion makes it harder to learn correct lead.

You should really play cruisers to tier 4, where they have enough range to practise leading up to 10 second shell flight time.

(and still have protected +1 tier match making)

Different ships have different shell speeds so instead of distance it's best to think use shell flight time as basis for how much you need lead for certain target.

This lists best things you need for having some consistency in hitting:

15 hours ago, howardxu_23 said:

battleship in my definition should be able to stop at least cruisers calibire shells from >9km on the main belt reliably regardless on how I derp.

Only "battleship" with enough protection against about anything from any range was Fort Drum:

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/instant-articles/fort-drum-concrete-battleship.html

• Cool 1

Players
446 posts
897 battles

I did say at least 9km for now, more probably at higher tiers or if I’m facing us heavy cruisers with heavy shells so if I show broadside at under 9km then I expect to be penned, and specifically on the main armor belt, aka the thickest steel apart from turrets.

for the aiming vid, I find that I aim better in a BB mainly because of the slow reload speed, so I can take my time to calculate shot lead with the built in rangefinder, and if I try to do that in a cruiser, I actually lose effective dps, to the point where just eyeballing it and using the previous shell landing point as a guide is better. Also partially the reason why I started on Russian cruisers, higher tiers are more like oversized cruisers or heavily nerfed battleships but with lots of speed and roughly halved reload speed.

Only "battleship" with enough protection against about anything from any range was Fort Drum:

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/instant-articles/fort-drum-concrete-battleship.html

Heard of that, #concreteOp XD. That said, they never actually used >240mm guns(according to the article at least), basically late war cruiser guns, so while it may render them useless, it never mentioned effectiveness vs Kongou’s 356mm guns( I believe that she one of the most active and effective battleship during the war). 460mm is non exsitant since Yamato is not built yet, Nagato is probably somewhere in japan’s waters as well.

Players
446 posts
897 battles

Oh and also stumbled across on how to play those low tier cvs, apparently I find that doing a attack run from the stern is better then head on, or even side on but you take more AA fire as a result since u be chasing the target in question, but shouldn’t matter since most low tier ships has peashooters, only thing I need to be concerned is Texas but still can be dealt with if I really push it

[UNICS]
Players
1,246 posts
15,810 battles

WG Take notes : 

OP How was the t5 match making for you ?

Players
446 posts
897 battles

Sorta okay, but have been thrown into a couple of games where everyone is at least a tier higher then me, the mm as far as im concerned seems to favour t7 bracket as far as I can see. Games where the mm just outright shits on you have happened before, where I was thrown into a t7 dominanted match in the Kongou being the only t5 (other side had a Texas for “balance”) once, and serveral times in the fuso( with the small amount of matches as of writing) into a t8/7 match with me being the only t6 in the team, along with a random guy on the other side. Carriers fare better, but I have seen t5 carriers matched vs t6 carriers when there is 2 carriers per side.

Probably would like to have a more skewed system where there is slightly more lower tiers then higher tiers in a single match, and more emphasis on +1 or -1 tier for all ships as much as possible. That said, certain ships can upteir better then other ships.

Players
2,834 posts
3,151 battles
1 hour ago, howardxu_23 said:

Sorta okay, but have been thrown into a couple of games where everyone is at least a tier higher then me, the mm as far as im concerned seems to favour t7 bracket as far as I can see. Games where the mm just outright shits on you have happened before, where I was thrown into a t7 dominanted match in the Kongou being the only t5 (other side had a Texas for “balance”) once, and serveral times in the fuso( with the small amount of matches as of writing) into a t8/7 match with me being the only t6 in the team, along with a random guy on the other side. Carriers fare better, but I have seen t5 carriers matched vs t6 carriers when there is 2 carriers per side.

Probably would like to have a more skewed system where there is slightly more lower tiers then higher tiers in a single match, and more emphasis on +1 or -1 tier for all ships as much as possible. That said, certain ships can upteir better then other ships.

Hahahaha that happens to me as well, and in T6 ships I get T8.... the only option: grind and learn untill you have T10. 

Dúh. I manage quite good, at least I consider a T7 cruiser and a T8 BB fair trade for my T6 BB... hehehheheh!

Usually, if you manage more than 'a kill for a kill' then it's quite well done, if you play the objectives (that is: if your team wins). 

Players
2,834 posts
3,151 battles

T8 match in my T6 Arizona, I see the enemy (low health) Kidd smoking up when coming around the corner, so...

... I figure 'what the heck nothing else to shoot anyway', I shoot him with 1 turret (with AP), he dead. LOL. 

Dunno where everybody went though, I couldn't keep up hahahaa!

Players
3,418 posts
7,954 battles
On 26-6-2018 at 9:58 PM, howardxu_23 said:

Recently started playing this because of my friend invited me to there, and have just unlocked the fuso in grinding the ijn bb line cause Yamato ( yes I may have rushed t3 and 4 a bit, but who wants to play a massively power creeped Kawachi with guns that make a vid game shotgun look like a sniper rifle and that is better off being a giant torpedo and the myogi which imo makes a better torpedo cause same reason as Kawachi guns, except less “pellets” per blast but better speed). So far my impression of the game is good, grind is slightly a bit on the harsh side but torlarable(no pain, no gain, cause end goal is Yamato)

Basically played by throwing things at the wall to see what sticks, so charged in 1v 5 and died horribly serveral times early on(still do it every now and then, cause my situational awareness is limited to on the spot events, but is getting better) realised the hard way that standard naval warfare tactics are all out of the window in here( real life say show as much of your side as possible to bring all guns to bear...you can imagine what happened next xP) eyeballing shells at first for a month before actually using the crosshair to aim once I realised what it is, and not just a cool decoration on screen. Found my love in bbs, with a side of carriers/ Russian cruisers cause a) my brother showed an intrest in this game,  b) Russian bias( just saw a Russian t1 gunboat back when I’m playing t1 basically solo 4 other ships) Learnt how to angle vs targets, 

Recently did my first attempted carry in a Kongō, but still lost cause no idea where the hell is the last dd lol x). (Thought that the massive masts that the Japanese ships had should be an advantage in daytime spotting over larger distances vs the shorter masts that the cruisers has, or is it actually useless in practice)

so right now I’m wondering if i’m progressing at the game at a healthy rate, or if I should slow down a bit further and play each ship out a bit more, but I’m not sure about this part, since ijn bbs can differ from each tier by a massive amount, especially when I heard fuso is more like you shotgun something and see if it hits, while Nagato has high accuracy, more marksman rifle esq and Kongo being a batlecrusier(fast battleship on tooltip is wrong, I get penned by cruisers on the main belt even when I think the angle should be reasonable, bb shells will often fly right through, battleship in my definition should be able to stop at least cruisers calibire shells from >9km on the main belt reliably regardless on how I derp. That said, still did what I think is reasonably well in there)

So how have you been doing lately?

Apparently you're in tier 6 now? Dunno if you're still actively playing, but if so, I can recommend you watch some videos by Flamu.

Here's a somewhat older one for Fuso:

• Cool 1

Players
446 posts
897 battles

1 hour ago, NothingButTheRain said:

So how have you been doing lately?

Apparently you're in tier 6 now? Dunno if you're still actively playing, but if so, I can recommend you watch some videos by Flamu.

So far so good, not playing as much these days due to family gathering, so have keep all my cousins occupied :P. It is also pretty clear on the differences in their life vs mine, since they pretty much do nothing but studying their entire life, so much so they never heard of this, or even anything else really, so much so when I asked one of them about Yamato, she has virtually no clue about that(me::cap_fainting:), till I included the discription that it’s a battleship(also need to explain what the hell a BB is, since she thought BB=that giant Chinese CV:Smile_facepalm:), very big, made by Japan, and fell to a lot of planes, only then she understood what I’m talking about. AND SHE IS NOT EVEN INTRESTED IN THAT. I honestly thought about finding a way to send her to gulag, then decided that it’s not worth it since she would not even know what gulag even is.

Again it proves that video games actually give you more knowledge and even important life skills then schools and books ever give you.

Well as of now, I have reached t5 with all ship classes except for dds, with fuso still being the only t6 as of now. Currently working on getting t6 flat top carrier and getting out of kriov’s stock hull.

also overpens everywhere reeeeeeeeee:Smile-_tongue:

I have seen some vids by flamu, and others, but never actually seen this tactic of just simply charging down the missle with the fuso until you showed me that vid. I have always played it out by following the cruisers to a cap at the sides of the map, then finding a island near a cap and do the swinging the tail thing until they die or we get overrun. Also 9km does sounds extremely close, but with that said the only deletions I have done in the past was basically 8-11km ish range, so may take a look into that.

Still not entirely sure on how to deal with other bbs in a fuso though, yes it has 12 guns but they feel they lack oomph vs even same tier bbs (they are still the same size as kongo’s after all, but need to face even more durable higher tiers. Plus they behave more like a shotgun)

Players
2,834 posts
3,151 battles
27 minutes ago, howardxu_23 said:

Still not entirely sure on how to deal with other bbs in a fuso though, yes it has 12 guns but they feel they lack oomph vs even same tier bbs (they are still the same size as kongo’s after all, but need to face even more durable higher tiers. Plus they behave more like a shotgun)

Other BBs have their weaknesses, you can check them out in the game. 

For example the New Mexico, I was chasing a Fuso but I could never get him.

He was waiting for me to come in reach, fired, and then I could not shoot him in return. 

After he shot, he just disappeared (concelment) and I could not spot him anymore. 

If you shoot long distance HE, you set other BBs on fire. They can put it out but only a few times,

and if you shoot them again on fire, they have to wait before using the repair.

So you can burn down other BBS even if you can't penentrate them. I find Fuso is very good at that.

Players
446 posts
897 battles

BBs using HE? Blasphemy!

jokes aside though, I find that there is no shame in firing he, especially if the most dangerous target is siting sternly bow on to you. 

A good example I had recently involving bb he in battle is a bow on Tirpitz, he has low hp aready from engaging other ships, and there is me in the fuso and a Colorado with me, obviously engaging in a brawl with any German ships is a suicide really(KM ships in a nutshell from my encounters: MUH ARMOR MUH SECONDARIES MUH TORPEDOS MUH IMMORTAL CITADEL).

my first volley: all bounces REEEEEEEE

Colorado engages in a brawl with Tirpitz, got his face stuffed with torps and blew up.

2nd volley: all bounces REEEEEEE

me: screw this im loading HE

tirpiz after 3rd volley:WTFBOOOOM

[HKE]
Beta Tester
646 posts
10,101 battles

Dont write with the people in the forum because they are full of hate. Dont write in the chat because they are children. Just play like you want.

• Bad 1

[WG-EU]
WG Team, WoWs Wiki Team
3,499 posts
11,916 battles
Vor 6 Minuten, Friedrich_Fruchtsaft sagte:

Dont write with the people in the forum because they are full of hate. Dont write in the chat because they are children. Just play like you want.

Go away, bad hater! :Smile-angry:

• Funny 2

Players
446 posts
897 battles
9 minutes ago, Friedrich_Fruchtsaft said:

I can say there are plenty of exceptions though, from my experience so far, both in fourms and in game. That said I have stopped caring about win rate a very long time ago, (even before this game) since as far as I’m concerned, it makes a game far more stressful and salty then it needs to be(seriously, how is a Omaha+ Kirov a fail div? And Kirov is definitely not a bb by any means)

all I care is acquiring Yamato and being decent enough to make a impact.

Players
2,834 posts
3,151 battles
16 hours ago, howardxu_23 said:

BBs using HE? Blasphemy!

jokes aside though, I find that there is no shame in firing he, especially if the most dangerous target is siting sternly bow on to you. 

A good example I had recently involving bb he in battle is a bow on Tirpitz, he has low hp aready from engaging other ships, and there is me in the fuso and a Colorado with me, obviously engaging in a brawl with any German ships is a suicide really(KM ships in a nutshell from my encounters: MUH ARMOR MUH SECONDARIES MUH TORPEDOS MUH IMMORTAL CITADEL).

my first volley: all bounces REEEEEEEE

Colorado engages in a brawl with Tirpitz, got his face stuffed with torps and blew up.

2nd volley: all bounces REEEEEEE

me: screw this im loading HE

tirpiz after 3rd volley:WTFBOOOOM

Yeah this happened to me as well. And like you I stuffed that Derpitz full of HE and yea he went BOOM (I was in the New Mex though).

Usually I shoot AP, did in this case too, long distance - he came nearer amnd nearer and finally I had to d stuff him with HE.

But I had already taken 2/3 of his helalth with long/longish distance AP.

AP is good, even against higher tiers, if you know where to shoot.

Plunging ammo (15-20km) always works (hits deck or superstructure).

Between  10-15km, know where to aim. Superstructure, bow, rear (the 'soft' parts).

Between 5-10 km you might even citadel, if you are lucky and know where to shoot.

The main thing, igf I had been shooting AP at te styart, he'd have healed it all back and I'd have been toast.

But If I had used AP for that last one, I'd have eaten torps. 

HOW I EAT FUSO

Fuso is sort of the same as any other T6BB, but more fragile and lost faster. 

I keep wondering why anyone that is DETECTED, even at 20km, keeps sailing same speed straight line. 

If I see a few of those, I just use the spotter plane (and get more than 20km...) first fire ONE turret.

I know thw AP damage sticks so when he is sailing GOOD broadside I'll fire that... else use HE.

And after one turret is fired, judge the result, then fire the rest. Some lose half the health... 

I dunno why they keep sailing in straight line, maybe they think they are fast enough?

Sure if I shoot with Queen E not all 8 shells will hit. But 2-4 will. After 3 salvos you'll be 1/3 gone.

With AP shots, that cannot be healed... (this is what to do when you have nothing else to shoot).

Countermeasures:

So, if you are spotted/detected, yank the rudder a bit, and vary speed. 

No matter if you are 'behind', and CERTAINLY if you are 'in the fighting line'. 

Also, if you are detected and you don't know who is detecting you, it might be a destroyer. Expect torps!

• Cool 1