You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Johmie

Average XP Question

7 comments in this topic

[BOBS3]
[BOBS3]
Players
422 posts

I've seen various people state that Average XP means nothing as it is affected by premium time, flags, camouflages, and so forth, but I'm not sure.

I took a look at some of my ships where I am confident the XP on the ship is the amount of XP I have earned with that ship, I've not converted any XP to free-XP or researched any modules/next ship in the line (since premium or Tier X), and for those I worked out the average XP times the number of battles for both Co-Op and Random battles. Which meant I had to dismiss a few ships as those had also been played in operations and there's no summary of number of battles / average XP for that game mode. And in each case the amount of XP on the ship was a lot higher than the averages times the numbers of battles; about as much higher as if I took those averages as being the base-XP and then accounted for the fact I'm running a premium account and have been fortunate with getting good camouflages from supercontainers.

Plus when I've been working my way up a ship line I've estimated how many games I have before I can unlock the next ship on the same basis of taking the average XP as being base and then accounting for the effects of premium and camouflage, and this has been roughly accurate. Which was one reason why I was puzzled enough to check and be asking now.

So how is the Average XP affected by the premium time etc.? If it was the average after modifiers then there wouldn't be the difference in the totals and it would have taken me much longer to get to the next ship, but people seem confident that it is affected somehow.

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,634 posts
8,541 battles

It's only affected by premium account status. None of the other bonuses count.

• Cool 4

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
9,163 posts
14,968 battles

It should be noted that each ship has its own XP modifier too, meaning some will naturally earn more exp than others despite doing the same thing.

• Cool 1

[BOBS3]
[BOBS3]
Players
422 posts

Hmm, okay. Does seem like if average was base-xp that would fit the figures, but on the other hand I do participate in Public Tests and the special-signals earned from those can really boost the XP. So those and Equal Speed Charlie London likely account for the rest of the difference. And I can see how premium time affecting it would make it worthless for the stat-arguing as people would have a different mix of how many of those games in that ship were premium or not.

Shame though. Looks like I'm even worse in the Missouri than I thought. :Smile-_tongue:

[TOXIC]
Players
4,450 posts
11,402 battles
24 minutes ago, Johmie said:

Hmm, okay. Does seem like if average was base-xp that would fit the figures, but on the other hand I do participate in Public Tests and the special-signals earned from those can really boost the XP. So those and Equal Speed Charlie London likely account for the rest of the difference. And I can see how premium time affecting it would make it worthless for the stat-arguing as people would have a different mix of how many of those games in that ship were premium or not.

Shame though. Looks like I'm even worse in the Missouri than I thought. :Smile-_tongue:

The only real stat that can tell you how good you are is solo winrate (divisions mess things up so it's less reliable for comparison with others or your own past) . Even comparing things like damage or kills or k/d ratio is useless because it often tells more about the style of play, not quality.

The one problem with winrate is that you need a sh*tload of battles for it to mean something. Other stats are useless but they acquire their (extremely low) level of usefulness faster. 80% winrate from 10 battles means nothing, very high aaverage damage from 10 battles suggests that at least you can shoot.

• Cool 2

[BOBS3]
[BOBS3]
Players
422 posts

Ouch, I suddenly realised why people thought I was asking about this. My puzzlement was born from the forum arguments where one person tries to waggle their stats to show they know what they are talking about and someone else tells them those are bad or meaningless. So I wasn’t sure why the average XP was being dismissed in such cases. 

So my thanks to @Nechrom (which I should have said before) for the information about it being only premium and my thanks to @El2aZeR and @eliastion for the extra information and my apologies for the misunderstanding. Though it was a fortunate misunderstanding as although I know I have long since plateaued at a little below-average overall I had been mislead by individual ships where a higher proportion of the games had been with premium time, and therefore the average-XP had been inflated.

I think I will look on the bright side though; if I haven't been doing that much better in those ships then it means my performance in other ships isn't so dire by comparison. :Smile_child:

[-NFG-]
[-NFG-]
Players
137 posts
6,002 battles

Average XP is hugely affected by tier played.  Higher tiers are higher XP per game, so it is meaningless without taking into account average tier.

The same also applies to average damage, since ships have more HP at higher tiers and do more damage per hit.