The_Gearinator

How not to suck at US Cruisers?

11 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
3 posts
726 battles

Hello everyone! 

I played WoWs way back in beta and for a short while after release too. I somehow made it up to Tier 9 US Cruisers as well as T6 on a few other nations lines. I assume back then I didn't suck so much, or had at least a basic idea of how to play. Regardless, I decided to re-download the game on my new PC and have another go recently. Not only is my T9 no longer the Baltimore, but regardless of how I play the Buffalo, and the few ships preceding that I still own, I just suck... a lot. I don't know what I'm doing wrong or how to improve. I've tried looking on Youtube and the forums to get some general idea of how I might be going wrong, but no matter how I seem to try and play, who's advice I try and follow, I still find it excruciatingly difficult to even manage breaking 10k damage. I'm getting both somewhat frustrated and embarrassed at constantly being the bottom 3 people on my team, not only because I almost always loose about 30k silver (give or take 5k depending on the match) but I'm always more of a hindrance to the team winning than I would be where I not there. Hell, I feel the only way that I could be more of a hindrance is if I actively tried to sink friendlies. 

I'm not asking for a master class or anything like that, just tips, tricks and a few pointers to at least get a (might as well be) new player going in the right direction on how to actually be a benefit to the team, and maybe make some silver in the process. 

Anything constructive and helpful is much appreciated, thanks! :D 

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
16,875 posts
11,568 battles

This sounds more like you should restart at Tier II, IV max.

10k is nothing for a Buffalo.You seem to have a problem with aiming.

Beta Tester
3 posts
726 battles
5 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

This sounds more like you should restart at Tier II, IV max.

10k is nothing for a Buffalo.You seem to have a problem with aiming.

I was thinking that, but I'm my lower tiers I'm not too bad. In the likes of the Yubari and Nassau I can fairly easily and regularly rack up 35-55k damage. That's what made me think it was more me not knowing how to play the cruisers. But hey, it's sound advice and after so long off, I might end up just starting a new line to ease myself back in anyway, cheers!

[CMP]
Weekend Tester
513 posts
4,035 battles

Don 't do anything in the first two minutes.  

Give the team time to spot some stuff.  And more importantly it makes sure you're not the first enemy spotted. 

To do well you need to live. Of you need to do sucky passive play to make that happen..... do sucky passive play for a while. T9 cruisers can get deleted very fast. Do play overly carefull while you get the hang of it again.

Players
2,834 posts
3,151 battles
12 hours ago, Hummus said:

Don 't do anything in the first two minutes.  

Give the team time to spot some stuff.  And more importantly it makes sure you're not the first enemy spotted. 

To do well you need to live. Of you need to do sucky passive play to make that happen..... do sucky passive play for a while. T9 cruisers can get deleted very fast. Do play overly carefull while you get the hang of it again.

Follow the DDs, but do not follow them closely or into the cap. 

Follow them for protection, make sure your guns reach ~3km further than the DD.

But hide somewhere behind a mounbtain, and protect the DD when he gets attacked by other cruisers or DDs.

After that, return to the BBs and follow those. Then they attack some other BB, give fire support. 

For the enemy - they cannot aim two ships at the same time. So keep a bit distance from your BB. 

Most likely the enemy will  focus on the BB, so you can focus at the enemy while they keep shooting the BB.

When the enemy BB also has a cruiser with him, then you must shoot that cruiser.

Make sure you are NEVER alone. You are a support ship. DDs can be alone, they are sneaking. 

BBs can be alone (unless there is a CV, then they will get finished). 

[W-C]
Players
517 posts
2,665 battles

@The_Gearinator

Depends a bit if we're talking CA or CL (mostly CA I'm guessing).

CL is a good DD + cap support (especially higher tiers w. radar) but you need to take advantage of island cover. Make sure you have an escape route, and be aware of ALL angles you could be spotted from etc. Your biggest problem in cap support is the floaty shells struggle to really reliably hit DD's from more than 10k... but you can still scare them out of the cap. You are a great DD hunter if they don't have close support. If you have to be spotted/in the open, try to position yourself so you are not the most convenient target - don't shove yourself at the back line because you wont be help to anyone. Look around, don't focus too much on one target - you have the ROF and turret traverse to switch targets constantly (to get the most important/convenient one) - and this will help you DoT stack around Damage con.

USN CA is a great anti-CL ship (AP is devastating on broadsides, at least at T6 *cough*), but again, positioning is key. Get used to anticipating manoeuvres and planning ahead with your ammo type. In my limited experience (pepsi), CA is probably the one ship type that is constantly switching AP vs HE... although at low tiers and a cruiser heavy meta I find I'm using AP a lot more than HE. It's true for both sub-classes, but CA in particular gets more potent the longer it lasts in the game - you need to be able to pick your battles. And NEVER show broadside.

Also of vital importance in a cruiser is knowing when NOT to shoot as well as when to!

And use the first 2 minutes to position yourself (without getting spotted), get an understanding of what your team is doing, and plan ahead! 4 times out of 5, the plan will change  straight away, but you need purpose... 

I'm afraid the above is mostly theoretical for me, but it seems to be working... most often failing because of stupid mistakes and not following my own advice :)!

Hope that helps!

Players
2,834 posts
3,151 battles

As for DD's, never shoot whole salvo's unless they are 'parked'. 

Shoot an 'area' where you expect it might go ('pepper' it).. 

You do not have to hit a full salvo to kill or disable him. 

And if you go 'boom-boom-boom'  you can also follow his movements, shooting one bullet every time. 

I do that with BB's as well, when shooting DDs. Then usually they ram an island, get engine blown up, or slow down to hide in smoke.

And that is when you let loose the full salvo. 

In case you do not know, when heavy smoke and flames come out of their piopes the engine is hit.

They can repairt quickly, but of they are hit AGAIN then they have to wait for the next repair. 

Also, NEVER stand still unless you find 'a really great spot'. 

But even in that spot, keep ready to get Tha Fok Outta there once spotted. 

I keep the rudder turned so I will not leave in a straight line, too. 

Lots of times in a BB I have shot just one turret at a CL,

scared the CL (hit or not) then when  it moved, it did so in a straight line.

Expecting that, I just shot the rest of the salvo a bit in front, and usually citadel it. 

Beta Tester
3 posts
726 battles

@BLUB__BLUB, @Rusty_9, @Hummus and @Zimbit

Thank you for all the advice, not gonna lie, after a few days of no replies bar the first one I didn't bother looking again until today. So, sorry I mostly ignored you all until now, but thank you all for the advice! Gonna go and see how it works out for me now, not rushing in, supporting DDs and all that. My main problem was dying very early on, so if I can avoid that then somethings going right at least :Smile_teethhappy: 

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Players
277 posts
6,512 battles

It seems to me that you're positioning in relation to your team and the enemy is what 's causing your early sinking.  You need to pay attention to your teams deployment and your own ships strengths and weaknesses, strengths are those high arcs (means you can shoot over islands allowing you to stay in cover) weaknesses are those high arcs (yeah I know the same :Smile_teethhappy:, long range against anything other than slow BB's is going to be difficult to hit), ergo you want to be relatively close to the cap but with some cover protecting you. 

Honestly I'd go with Colonel Pete's suggestion though and move back down a few tiers.  

You could slowly learn how to position yourself at tier 9 where any mistake normally means at best a huge chunk of your HP lost, at worst an early trip back to port, or you could play a lower tier and learn in an environment where you can survive mistakes a little easier.

[KURLA]
Players
828 posts
17,216 battles

If you are still having problems you could try to upload one or more replays, so the ppl here can give you some hints on what you did wrong or well in those. (only if you're comfortable with it ofc)