Sign in to follow this  
RoseDeSang

About Helena and Dallas

57 comments in this topic

Players
136 posts
10,023 battles

Sorry if wrong location.

For people that already own Cleveland, will thoses ships be available for purchase stock, or we'll need to grind the Omaha then the Dallas to fill the gap ?

[BYOB]
Players
3,506 posts
12,825 battles
Just now, d_Lynn said:

Sorry if wrong location.

For people that already own Cleveland, will thoses ships be available for purchase stock, or we'll need to grind the Omaha then the Dallas to fill the gap ?

You will most likely need to grind them. From the Omaha up.

That's why I rebought the floating citadel to get 46K xp on her.

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
2,433 posts
3,322 battles
48 minutes ago, Aragathor said:

You will most likely need to grind them. From the Omaha up.

That's why I rebought the floating citadel to get 46K xp on her.

As long as you can avoid getting hit the Omaha isn't actually that bad..

• Cool 1

[BYOB]
Players
3,506 posts
12,825 battles
10 minutes ago, lafeel said:

As long as you can avoid getting hit the Omaha isn't actually that bad..

But if you do get hit it's mostly a citadel.

• Funny 1

Beta Tester
2,433 posts
3,322 battles
1 minute ago, Aragathor said:

But if you do get hit it's mostly a citadel.

Repeat after me: If I am trying to rely on my armour in a cruiser, I am doing it wrong.

• Funny 2

[DDGR]
Players
27 posts
4,519 battles
1 hour ago, lafeel said:

Repeat after me: If I am trying to rely on my armour in a cruiser, I am doing it wrong.

EDITED: Repeat after me: If I am trying to rely on my armor in a LIGHT cruiser, I am doing it wrong.

Beta Tester
2,433 posts
3,322 battles
Just now, Muki321 said:

EDITED: Repeat after me: If I am trying to rely on my armor in a LIGHT cruiser, I am doing it wrong.

A lot of the heavy cruisers fall into that category as well, to be fair. Especially the USN and IJN mid tiers.

[DDGR]
Players
27 posts
4,519 battles
2 minutes ago, lafeel said:

A lot of the heavy cruisers fall into that category as well, to be fair. Especially the USN and IJN mid tiers.

true, but usually those ships compensate in other categories (i.e. good, accurate guns, long range, good concealment)

every ship has its strengths and weaknesses, it is up to a player to identify those and utilize them best.

Beta Tester
2,433 posts
3,322 battles
2 minutes ago, Muki321 said:

true, but usually those ships compensate in other categories (i.e. good, accurate guns, long range, good concealment)

every ship has its strengths and weaknesses, it is up to a player to identify those and utilize them best.

Indeed. But that does not mean that that simple statement I made above is any less of a good one to live by as a cruiser driver, light or heavy.

Nb that I am not advocating hiding when you can do more good for your team otherwise, I am talking about maneuvering to avoid shell fire rather than trying to rely on your armor stopping said shell fire.

[DDGR]
Players
27 posts
4,519 battles
11 minutes ago, lafeel said:

Indeed. But that does not mean that that simple statement I made above is any less of a good one to live by as a cruiser driver, light or heavy.

Nb that I am not advocating hiding when you can do more good for your team otherwise, I am talking about maneuvering to avoid shell fire rather than trying to rely on your armor stopping said shell fire.

not bad indeed. I am just being picky about the weighting of this statement in context of CL or CA gameplay (at high tier especially) :)

in principle maneuverability and concealment should always be the primary mean of avoiding damage to a cruiser, of course. armor comes last, but comes in handy.

I still don't regret selling my Neptune for the sake of lack of any armor whatsoever...

Beta Tester
2,433 posts
3,322 battles
1 minute ago, Muki321 said:

not bad indeed. I am just being picky about the weighting of this statement in context of CL or CA gameplay (at high tier especially) :)

in principle maneuverability and concealment should always be the primary mean of avoiding damage to a cruiser, of course. armor comes last

Indeed. Which is why I always take priority target as the first skill. Knowing when you're being aimed at is the first step to knowing when to apply your wasd hax.:Smile_Default:

[DDGR]
Players
27 posts
4,519 battles
3 minutes ago, lafeel said:

Indeed. Which is why I always take priority target as the first skill. Knowing when you're being aimed at is the first step to knowing when to apply your wasd hax.:Smile_Default:

yap. that's a crucial 1st skill for every cruiser captain in my pov

once it blinks start moving around like crazy or hit the first cover until it fades away....

Beta Tester
2,433 posts
3,322 battles
Just now, Muki321 said:

yap. that's a crucial 1st skill for every cruiser captain in my pov

once it blinks start moving around like crazy or hit the first cover until it fades away....

Or just stop shooting for a while if you're far enough away.

[BYOB]
Players
3,506 posts
12,825 battles
2 hours ago, lafeel said:

Laughs in Hindenburg.:Smile_izmena:

After 0.7.6 laughs a bit slower.

• Funny 4

Beta Tester
2,433 posts
3,322 battles
1 minute ago, Aragathor said:

There are exceptions to every rule (including this one)

[JR-IT]
Alpha Tester
872 posts
7,547 battles
On 26/6/2018 at 7:13 PM, Aragathor said:

When you will get  the legendary  upgrade you will laugh harder,  way harder

[BYOB]
Players
3,506 posts
12,825 battles
1 hour ago, Flavio1997 said:

When you will get  the legendary  upgrade you will laugh harder,  way harder

I will laugh in fireproof mode. :cap_haloween:

[OCTO]
Players
895 posts
16,947 battles

Without opening another topic....

Are Dallas and Helena any good? Is it worth going back to Omaha and grinding? 

P.S. I have Cleveland.

Thx!

Beta Tester
2,433 posts
3,322 battles
2 minutes ago, Zen71_sniper said:

Without opening another topic....

P.S. I have Cleveland.

Thx!

Consensus of the testers is that the Helena is very good indeed. Jury seems out on the Dallas.

• Cool 1

[BYOB]
Players
3,506 posts
12,825 battles
6 hours ago, Zen71_sniper said:

After playing Dallas I'm certain it's worse than the LaGal and I hated the French boat (De Grasse is better). Dallas has no range and at the same time no standoff capability (torps), so anyone can just rush you and sink your sorry a$$. You have no armor, even Leander has better armored sections than you. The AA is only a bit better than the other T6 cruisers. So effectively you have no strengths but a lot of weak points.

Haven't played the Helena yet, but she looks like a T7 Mogami.

EDIT:

Let me revise my previous opinion about the Dallas. This ship is complete and utter sh!t! It's a weak T5 cruiser that masquerades as a T6. It's worse than the Emerald, because Emerald at least has smoke and torps.

Good job at balancing WG!

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
9,203 posts
14,969 battles

- playing Helena for the first time

- free exp every module because I'm not a pleb

- only 14,6km range T_T

- open fire

- 6k unsaturated HE damage, oh my

- every salvo a fire

- several salvos yield double fires

- 15 shell AP salvo obliterates everything at close range

- holy :etc_swear:

- triggers good old T7 Mogami memories

Save to say I can see why she only gets 14,6km range. I imagine that's gonna make her very uncomfy for inexperienced players (and I wouldn't be surprised at all if WG buffs her range by ~500m in the future). Don't be fooled tho, she's ludicrously deadly in the hands of an expert.

Be aware that like Atlanta she benefits from a plethora of captain skills which you're unlikely to have if you're just starting out. IFHE + CE combo alone is more points than you'll ever have at this stage.

• Cool 3

[PKTZS]
Weekend Tester
2,410 posts
14,618 battles

Dallas is so nerfed "because Cleveland" that it hurts. Fewer guns with less range, weaker AAA, smaller secondary battery, less armour, less health points, HE is useless without IFHE, AP is weak unless suicidal range.

Only improvement over old T6 Cleveland is concealment. The rest is all worse. Cleveland was not so OP. It was strong, but if you looked at the general stats, the only thing that was overpowered was the AAA. Budyonny is/was, in general, stronger than Cleveland.

• Cool 3

[BYOB]
Players
3,506 posts
12,825 battles
Just now, JapLance said:

Dallas is so nerfed "because Cleveland" that it hurts. Fewer guns with less range, weaker AAA, smaller secondary battery, less armour, less health points, HE is useless without IFHE, AP is weak unless suicidal range.

Only improvement over old T6 Cleveland is concealment. The rest is all worse. Cleveland was not so OP. It was strong, but if you looked at the general stats, the only thing that was overpowered was the AAA. Budyonny is/was, in general, stronger than Cleveland.

Now everything is stronger than Dallas, even the overnerfed Pensacola.

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,842 posts
4,300 battles
10 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

- playing Helena for the first time

- free exp every module because I'm not a pleb

- only 14,6km range T_T

- open fire

- 6k unsaturated HE damage, oh my

- every salvo a fire

- several salvos yield double fires

- 15 shell AP salvo obliterates everything at close range

- holy :etc_swear:

- triggers good old T7 Mogami memories

Save to say I can see why she only gets 14,6km range. I imagine that's gonna make her very uncomfy for inexperienced players (and I wouldn't be surprised at all if WG buffs her range by ~500m in the future). Don't be fooled tho, she's ludicrously deadly in the hands of an expert.

Be aware that like Atlanta she benefits from a plethora of captain skills which you're unlikely to have if you're just starting out. IFHE + CE combo alone is more points than you'll ever have at this stage.

Sounds exactly as dirty as I expected from looking at the stats. I'm hugely looking forward to this ship :cap_like: when I'll actually have time to grind it is another matter...

[CU]
Players
313 posts
3,478 battles

First impressions of the Dallas, don't reverse out from an island, broadside to a North Cal, even with full HP as you will get dev striked off the planet. I can only think he wanted to commit suicide.

Sign in to follow this