Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Butterdoll

chapayev, How is it?

13 comments in this topic

[L4GG]
Players
1,719 posts
6,705 battles

So far I'm loving the RU CLs.

I just unlocked chapayev, I didn't bought it yet.

Close to 800 battles with the mighty tanky Buddy (I'm taking a break  from it), I'm really clicking with Shchors my previous exclusive op cl... not anymore :cap_rambo:.

As I was looking to the 25 mm I got excited but then I remembered the small detail of t10 thing.

So, how is it?

tanky as buddy with shchors guns?

or

Just a shchors with a radar?

thank you.

[ENUF]
[ENUF]
Players
360 posts
15,032 battles

Definitely a very good ship, one of my favorites. Fast firing, accurate guns. Use IHFE to increase the damage per salvo, it's worth gold. You're shredding ships with it. The ship itself isn't that sensitive as the Shchors before, but you're dealing with tier 10 enemies too, and that can be painful. Use cover, avoid open water in the beginning. Go closer to islands, use your good radar to help the team against DDs in the caps. It's a very good ship, you'll like it. 

• Cool 1

Beta Tester, In AlfaTesters
546 posts
8,459 battles

The Chapayev is a good RU CL, almost all of its good qualities are in its guns and it can use radar with a range of 11.7km which is useful (with CE and Concealment Mod this is longer than Chapas surface detectability).

Be sure to train your commander with IFHE to improve the penetration of Chapayevs 152mm guns as this calibre don't penetrate very well, but remember that this benefit doesn't extend to the Moskva at T10.

It's maneuverability is poor, it's armor is almost non existent and it has a large citadel so it must be played carefully like Shchors, it doesn't kite very well, so if you can stay out of sight and get the guns firing as often as possible, with IFHE and DE skills you can cause serious havoc with HE at range. Bear in mind that the AP actually has quite good performance also, at point blank range the 12 guns AP salvo can cause serious damage to enemy cruisers and some battleships, although you should preferably avoid this scenario were possible. If something comes within range of your 4km torpedoes then something probably isn't going well.

Good luck!

• Cool 1

[H_FAN]
Players
2,071 posts
25,873 battles

Chapayev is a great ship but demands pref 14 pts cpt at least (ifhe , ce). If you then have the luck to have or recieve Kutuzov in a SC/santas or similar they are an excellent pair, cpt wise, but I play Kutuzov much more once I got that ship.

• Cool 1

[FAILS]
Players
139 posts
13,883 battles

You actually can go with IFHE first on her and add on CE later, since even without CE her detection is lower than her radar range (if equipped with the concealment module). So, even a 10 point-captain is working perfectly fine for starters. She is a very capable second-line support ship and quite good at kiting. Yes, you gain no fire power over the Shchors, but she is more nimble, slightly better armoured, gets radar and the concealment module. I've had the Moskva for quite a while, but never sold the Chapayev, she is just good fun for the occasional game.

• Cool 1

[PUPSI]
Players
94 posts
5,223 battles

Just suggestion ... if you are not in hurry, why not wait for next public test and try it.

You can also experiment with upgrade build and cpt skills to find what suits you best.

• Cool 1

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,414 posts
6,923 battles

Chapayev is one of the radar cruiser I fear the most when in a DD.

Not only its concealment range is better than its radar range, but it got the guns balistic to instantly punish a DD when it presses the radar button.

The radar duration is short and the ship is squishy, but using the radar at the right time means shaving any DD of a good chunk of its health.

• Cool 2

Weekend Tester
769 posts
3,524 battles

If you liked the Buddy and the Shchors then you'll like the Chappy, yes. I loved it, second favourite ship in the line after the Buddy for me (haven't played the Moskva yet). Exact same guns as you had on the Buddy so you should be well acquainted with them and they pair brilliantly with the 11.7km radar because within that range your shell velocity gives you rail guns which can easily hit any DDs you detect. The radar is both a blessing and a curse, though. You absolutely should use it to support your DDs in the caps, but there will be times when doing that will get you into some serious trouble that you might not be able to escape from. Choose your battles wisely!

Much as with the Buddy, Shchors and Donskoi IFHE will be mandatory if you want to use the ship to its full effectiveness, but unlike the two ships that follow it its stealth is still very workable. Its stealth makes it one of the few ships in the game which is able to radar outside of its detection range, which is something that shouldn't be a thing, and that can be a great offensive and defensive tool. Its stealth is still good enough that it can disengage at will, and if you have a DD spotting you preventing you from being able to disengage then he's already well inside of your radar range. And yes, it can burn and melt BBs just as well as its predecessors!

• Cool 2

Players
4,894 posts
6,044 battles

Mostly, the Chapayev is more a Shchors with radar than a Budyonny. You cannot tank shells much. You are a bit better armoured, but with the matchmaking at T8 being what it is, Shchors will crap on T6 BBs, Chapayev can go try avoid getting blapped by Montana or Alsace. The ship handles slightly better than Shchors though (890 m turning radius instead of 900 m, lol) and get decent concealment. Go for IFHE first, CE later, as with concealment mod you get Shchors-grade concealment already and the HE pen is a must, as otherwise you basically rely on hitting superstructure and setting fires, without having any great impact. Even if Chapayev has radar and is good at hitting DDs up to the radar range with ease, it is not a cruiser that can just go near the cap without cover and proper accounting for risks, because it still is way too squishy for tanking BBs. Most of the time, you'll be back to Shchors-style long-range HE spam and kiting to deal with BBs, before you can go in and deal with ships you can actually tank. The radar requires quite a bit of skill to be used efficiently. Keep in mind that you should use it to play the objective, but also don't just think you're some radar bot that can camp behind an island you can't shoot over, being useless for a good few minutes trying to get into that crappy position and getting out of it, just for 20 seconds of radar where possibly noone ever really got an effective shot at the DD (or they might even just hide behind an island). Way too often as a DD, I could really just wait out Chapa radars, because of that.

Also, personally, I found the lack of spotter plane a bit sad, given I ran premium spotter on Shchors for how useful that plane was, but radar is worth it and it is not just an anti-DD weapon. you can also use it at critical times to scout around islands if necessary or in a cyclone, because the absolute worst thing that can happen to you is running into a BB at 8 km.

• Cool 1

Players
5,156 posts
8,071 battles

Chapa is Shchors. With better concealment (10.2km), RU Radar (11.7km, 20s), with fixed 3rd turret firing angle (300 degrees on both rear turrets, or 30 degress from ship axis when firing forward) but its slower by 2kts and "enjoys" T8 MM.

With IFHE, she still kicks [edited]and disappears just like Shchors when caught broadside, so little to no difference there.

Oh and AA is actually decent, so you actually can shoot planes down

• Cool 1

[L4GG]
Players
1,719 posts
6,705 battles

Who? Me?

I'm in no hurry at all, My Shchors captain was my former Orlan captain and I just got my IFHE skill.

thank you.

Buddy it's just my favourite ship until now. The only problem with the Shchors, you can't put pressure on battle line. From what I've seen so far many chappys get blapped near the cap, perhaps because of radar, supporting the dds at close range.

From what I'm reading if it is like the radar will push a Shchors closer to the frey.

thank you guys.

[1DSF]
Beta Tester
1,470 posts
4,556 battles

As many others already wrote it is a good ship!

[TS1]
Players
590 posts
7,618 battles

Since someone mentioned that AP can do serious damage at short ranges I just want to add that all Russian ships over tier 5, including the DDs and possibly even the 130mm guns of the Bogatyr and the Svietlana, have AP works very well at all ranges if you get broadsides at cruisers or BBs.

Sign in to follow this