Kreol1q1q

Friedrich der Grosse - What am I missing?

19 comments in this topic

[KUKTP]
Beta Tester
74 posts
3,378 battles

So, I generally heard positive things about this ship, but ever since I got it I just haven't been able to make it work. I've played the Tirpitz ever since she was added into the game, and I think I've done very well in her (though I admit, she is a really player friendly ship to sail), and I've always thought I had the brawling BB playstyle covered. However, I've been having nothing but trouble in the Friedrich, achieving decidedly mediocre results overall. 

I specced the ship as abrawler (just as I've done with all my German BB's since Gneisenau), and have a 19 point captain on her, but I just can't make her work. While I can tank a ton of damage with her, that's all I've found I'm capable of doing. The guns feel terrible to me, even when considering the lackluster performance of the previous German guns. Shooting them, I constantly get flashbacks of how it was playing the tier III BB's years ago - I basically have zero long range efficiency due to the spread, and am only marginally successful in the mid ranges (10-14km). And since it's the high tiers, getting closer than that is very difficult, seeing as all the other BB branches have long range precision guns which pack a significantly greater punch than the german ones. Has my aiming just become crap over time (as I've been playing the game much less than before), or could something else be a problem?

So, as it says in the title, what am I missing about this ship? I'd like to be good in her, so I'd appreciate all advice!

• Cool 1

[TEA]
Players
1,195 posts
4,982 battles

its really crap. when you go from bismarck to the FdG you expect an upscale in performance but you dont get that. FdG is a mess and your right the guns are really off.

If I were you, I would just get the xp for the Kurfurst and move on from the FdG dont keep it a second longer than you need to. In the mean time try to use the FdG as a sniping bb maintain range of 15k from your targets and use AP.

What upgrades do you have mounted on it?

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[GRKEN]
[GRKEN]
Players
626 posts
15,424 battles

Didn't have any issues with the ship, try a survival build probably and stay with your fleet while using concealment when needed to repair.

GK feels even slower and cumbersome than the Bismarck/Tirpitz ones so don't expect cruiser like behaviour, at the same time you'll be put more often in tier x matches and your survival will also vary.

Just because the ship is higher tier it doesn't mean you have to be more aggressive.
Higher tier matches tend to be camp fests in the first 10 min or so :) (sad and boring)...

[IDDQD]
Alpha Tester
3,252 posts
7,272 battles

play it like a bigger Bismarck and you should be more or less fine

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
1,489 posts
5,854 battles
4 hours ago, von_chom said:

play it like a bigger Bismarck and you should be more or less fine

This. Recomending sniping in a ship with 8 unreliable guns is just lol.

Use the 406 with the reload mod and a secondary build. This should be less painful and still fun to play (it was for me) so getting the Kurfurst is not that much of a struggle.

[ONIX]
Players
1,121 posts
9,398 battles
13 hours ago, Kreol1q1q said:

So, I generally heard positive things about this ship, but ever since I got it I just haven't been able to make it work. I've played the Tirpitz ever since she was added into the game, and I think I've done very well in her (though I admit, she is a really player friendly ship to sail), and I've always thought I had the brawling BB playstyle covered. However, I've been having nothing but trouble in the Friedrich, achieving decidedly mediocre results overall. 

I specced the ship as abrawler (just as I've done with all my German BB's since Gneisenau), and have a 19 point captain on her, but I just can't make her work. While I can tank a ton of damage with her, that's all I've found I'm capable of doing. The guns feel terrible to me, even when considering the lackluster performance of the previous German guns. Shooting them, I constantly get flashbacks of how it was playing the tier III BB's years ago - I basically have zero long range efficiency due to the spread, and am only marginally successful in the mid ranges (10-14km). And since it's the high tiers, getting closer than that is very difficult, seeing as all the other BB branches have long range precision guns which pack a significantly greater punch than the german ones. Has my aiming just become crap over time (as I've been playing the game much less than before), or could something else be a problem?

So, as it says in the title, what am I missing about this ship? I'd like to be good in her, so I'd appreciate all advice!

You are missing that as a tier IX you are facing plenty of Yamatos and Montanas with very strong and accurate AP and Des Moines, Zaos and Hindenburgs that can HE spam you to death. And many others obviously.

FdG is a brawler but you need to be extremely careful when to go below the 12km range to make those secondaries work.  At that range the guns are ok. Not superb, but ok. And your armor can withstand some punishment, provided you are not focused. So again, it's all about WHEN to brawl.

• Cool 1

[GURKA]
[GURKA]
Players
2,707 posts
6,951 battles
2 hours ago, ollonborre said:

This. Recomending sniping in a ship with 8 unreliable guns is just lol.

Use the 406 with the reload mod and a secondary build. This should be less painful and still fun to play (it was for me) so getting the Kurfurst is not that much of a struggle.

Ah nice, was wondering, why I should take the 420, because the others performed somehow pretty nice :D

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
1,489 posts
5,854 battles
13 minutes ago, Pikkozoikum said:

Ah nice, was wondering, why I should take the 420, because the others performed somehow pretty nice :D

Yeah the 406 reload faster, does slightly less damage (nothing mayor) but they have better mid to close range penetration where you want to fight anyways. And they are both good for overmatching since the 420 mm don't pass any mayor thresholds. So it is really hard to argue against the 406 on the FDG.

Players
4,906 posts
6,049 battles

Yeah, pretty much just pick the 406s and play it as a larger Bismarck. The FdG certainly is not a great ship, but if you buy into the "High-tier meta shifts and you cannot brawl", you basically get a ship that has no point being played over any other T9 BB. Yes, it still will tier for tier be worse than the mighty Bismarck, but it'll still feel like an actual upgrade, having bigger guns, faster reload (with 406s) and more hp. And if you hang back, you just get farmed, while you curse your guns and get nothing done. FdG kind of is a throwback to the Gneisenau. While Bismarck has not much trouble getting to its comfortable range of 11 km or less, Gneisenau already had the issue that you are absolute crap at range and want to get in close to dominate others with your torpedoes and secondaries, but it easily causes you to overextent. FdG again has this issue and you'll need to be more wary about overextending once again.

Personally, I use on the FdG the same build I use since the Gneisenau, which takes AFT and Manual Secondaries, but gets BoS and SI as 3 pointers. Getting Fire Prevention instead of SI might be an option too, but I absolutely don't see a point of taking BFT on these battleships over BoS. yes, it boosts your secondary damage output from underwhelming to slightly less underwhelming and it boosts your AA from mediocre to okish, but the one aircraft type you hate most (AP DBs) can drop a Des Moines, so why do you think they won't still be able to drop your FdG? BoS meanwhile helps trivialise fires with Damage Control Mod 2 and the -20% fire duration signal. With fire prevention instead of SI, you actually become pretty much the most HE resistant T9 in the game (because FdG has a large part of 80 mm and 50 mm deck that is not penetrated by HE from anything but BBs and Yorck/Hipper/Roon/Hindenburg in the 50 mm section).

[KUKTP]
Beta Tester
74 posts
3,378 battles

Thanks for all the responses guys. I've definitely opted for the 406's, and the ship feels better with them. I've also done a couple of suggested skill changes, to buff my survivability, and again, my experience has improved. 
Not to mention, it's comforting to know that I'm not the only one experiencing this ship's, hm, *peculiarities*. 

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
712 posts

I actually went for the 420s, but I ditched the secondary built for acc mod.

Still had 9,6km secondaries. Kinda worked for me.....and no, didn't kemp da bush. But when u miss BBs from 15km, I felt I needed something to fix that.

But I sold her as soon as I was done.

[BYOB]
Players
3,506 posts
12,814 battles
40 minutes ago, 15JG52Adler said:

biges crap ship on t9.....it is even bigger crap tthann crapy Izumo :)

Don't forget, Izumo is getting some serious buffs according to the dev blog.

FdG confirmed as bottom of the barrel.

[BGNAV]
Players
154 posts
6,034 battles
On 7/11/2018 at 12:23 PM, Aragathor said:

Don't forget, Izumo is getting some serious buffs according to the dev blog.

FdG confirmed as bottom of the barrel.

I actually liked playing both. Izumo is really accurate and punishes enemies hard. FdG is great for winning games as it can get close to or in the caps and chase DDs out (with secondaries, as the main guns probably won't hit them).

In the current meta however I think both are a lot harder to play compared with when I was playing them. Games are full of long range HE spammers that either fire huge shells (RN BBs) or fire very, very fast and have lots of guns (Worcester, I am looking at you!). FdG becomes more and more useless as the distance to your enemies increases and it is extremely hard to close the range while your whole ship is burning on 3-4 places after you just put out 3-4 fires...

• Cool 2

Players
91 posts
5,832 battles

Personally, when i was grinding FdG, i kept my secondary captain, and modded ship for main battery+reload exclusively. Fried is too fragile, to try to approach enemies in TX, and you have to be efficent at range for half of the match. Worked fine for me.

[WASP_]
Players
184 posts
On 26/06/2018 at 12:32 AM, Kreol1q1q said:

God I wish I could help you I'm struggling with this ship myself(46% win rate). No matter what I do I can't seem to get it to work. If I'm not on fire I'm torpedo fodder for DD's. Moreover with the crusty the clown dispersion you don't have any confidence in the guns be they 406 or 420. Sadly I'm not enjoying this ship at all and look upon it as a chore to be gotten out of the way.

[WASP_]
Players
184 posts

Just got rid this ship last night finally got the Kurfurst. My god I've never detested a ship as much as the Grob (Perhaps Dunkerque a close second). One of my final games in the Grob I had a Yamato broadside to me 3.6 Km fired and guess what? not one hit not one. I watched those rounds arch and splash all around that ship but not hit. Needless to say the Yamato had no such handicap as German dispersion and most if not all his rounds found their mark. I know people will say shes a great Brawler etc but brawling is very situational and not all maps will suit such game play. You cant snipe from afar because of the Krusty the clown accuracy, push in too close and your focused out of the game back to port, thats if the Shima wall of skill doesn't get you first. I'm still wondering what advantage that ship had in lue of it's accuracy. I had good games in her for sure. But they were few and far between. Overall I advise  avoid like the plague and free xp past it.

Players
1,877 posts
10,556 battles
On 06/09/2018 at 2:06 AM, Merlin851526 said:

Just got rid this ship last night finally got the Kurfurst. My god I've never detested a ship as much as the Grob (Perhaps Dunkerque a close second). One of my final games in the Grob I had a Yamato broadside to me 3.6 Km fired and guess what? not one hit not one. I watched those rounds arch and splash all around that ship but not hit. Needless to say the Yamato had no such handicap as German dispersion and most if not all his rounds found their mark. I know people will say shes a great Brawler etc but brawling is very situational and not all maps will suit such game play. You cant snipe from afar because of the Krusty the clown accuracy, push in too close and your focused out of the game back to port, thats if the Shima wall of skill doesn't get you first. I'm still wondering what advantage that ship had in lue of it's accuracy. I had good games in her for sure. But they were few and far between. Overall I advise  avoid like the plague and free xp past it.

For me, it was actually pretty ok. You definately need to have good map awareness and know when to push or retreat. My last battle in Freddy I found myself the only ship left on the left flank of islands of ice against 2 clevelands, an amagi and a richelieu. Despite getting constantly shelled at by them for the whole game, i survived and even killed both clevelands while running away and shooting at them from range which leads to my 2nd point on accuracy.

I am frankly kind of suprised with the accuracy of Gross & Fred. I run secondary mods instead of accuracy and im still accurate to hit ships at almost any range, be it 3km or 20km. How many shells hit is another matter xp but not bad enough to frustrate me. The only ship on that line that truely did frustrate me with its accuracy was the Bayern. Can't hit anything without the accuracy mod.