You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Hannibalurg

Hood VS Nelson VS Warspite, Captain trainer!

26 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
855 posts

So with the new british DD line being announced i do belive it is time to grind up a new Captain. 

What of the mentioned british BB's would you say would be the most solid choice?

(Based on your personal experiences)

[CATS]
Players
16,875 posts
11,568 battles

I have Nelson and Warspite and use them both.

Both are great fun. Warspite has trollish guns that can take out everything and Nelsons guns are nearly as good with better overmatch and she can soak up damage like a sponge.

• Cool 1

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,423 posts
6,923 battles

Why would you use a battleship to train a DD captain ? :cap_fainting:

Anyway, Nelson for me. Those 406 are damn great.

Players
807 posts
13,840 battles

Just a question: Why dont train a new DD Captain in a DD? 

I have Gallant to so so. Solid DD for T6. If you use a BB, you have to change  skills maybe ...

[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
6,009 battles

Erm, aside from the obvious "why would you train a DD cap in a BB", that shares about none of the skills, are you ok?

Also, belfast?

• Cool 1

1,548 posts
10,140 battles

Play ship where you have elite cpt, and use those points to grind fast DD cpt.. Easy

• Cool 4

Beta Tester
855 posts
18 minutes ago, ShinGetsu said:

Excellent question good sir. For credit gains aswell. 

13 minutes ago, Juanx said:

Erm, aside from the obvious "why would you train a DD cap in a BB", that shares about none of the skills, are you ok?

Also, belfast?

Redistribute points when the DDs come is no issue. And to answer your question: Credits. 

I do not have the legendary overpowered ship called Belfast. 

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
3,289 posts
9,342 battles

Hi all,

The single most important economy change in WoWS that happened in 2017 was introduction of "Elite Captain XP".

Before that we essentially had to train and re-train captains in "Premium" ships for each class and each nation... it was long and tedious process...

So... the single most influential and most important thing each player can do is to have 19 point captain (and have as much of them as possible) and farm the "Elite Captain XP"... this is the best and fastest way of training and re-training the captains (especially when 19 point captain is paired with high tier ship - every game you can earn literaly thousands and thousands of "Elite Captain XP")!!!

Leo "Apollo11"

• Cool 3

Beta Tester
855 posts
4 minutes ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Hi all,

The single most important economy change in WoWS that happened in 2017 was introduction of "Elite Captain XP".

Before that we essentially had to train and re-train captains in "Premium" ships for each class and each nation... it was long and tedious process...

So... the single most influential and most important thing each player can do is to have 19 point captain (and have as much of them as possible) and farm the "Elite Captain XP"... this is the best and fastest way of training and re-training the captains (especially when 19 point captain is paired with high tier ship - every game you can earn literaly thousands and thousands of "Elite Captain XP")!!!

Leo "Apollo11"

I understand and thank you for the reply. But i am combining credit grind and captain trainer. I also think i would want atleast 2 of RN DD's for keeps, so i can just grind up new captains while grinding credits. Should have been clearer on that in original post. Maybe i just used 1 captain to grind elite exp for 2nd captain. But currently i only have 1x19 RN captain, and he is firmly planted in my Firestarter. Maybe just swap him between the ships, since i take it they use more or less the same abilities. But the essence is that i need a good credit grinder. Tier 10 Premium ship camo is good, but i think premium ships gives more Credits. (i do not have DM)

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,423 posts
6,923 battles

I think tier 10 premium camo will net you in average the same as a tier 7 premium honestly. :cap_hmm:

Not even talking about tier 6 premium ship credits gain which is a bit meh.

Only tier 8 and 9 premium really beats the others means of gaining credits.

[HOO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,131 posts

I have Nelson, Hood, DoY & Warspite... And Gallant... If it were to train a commander for the DD-line, I'd say: go for the Gallant, because the BB-skills won't be relevant for a DD-captain.

If it's just to rake in XP (and thus commander XP), go for the Nelson, as that one has the highest damage potential of the ships listed, with it's 9 16" rifles, the super-heal and the very strong HE & AP. Of all those ships, the Nelson has the highest average XP in my account. It also prints credits comfortably, and is downright fun to play. The Gallant has its own captain, but the 4 BB's all share the same 19pt commander, which I circle around between it and the Lion when needed. PT, EL, HA, EM, AR, SI, FP, CE

• Nelson: 1248
  • Warspite: 945
  • Hood: 1159
  • DoY: 1149
  • (Gallant: 1058)

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
3,289 posts
9,342 battles

Hi all,

8 minutes ago, Hannibalurg said:

I understand and thank you for the reply. But i am combining credit grind and captain trainer. I also think i would want atleast 2 of RN DD's for keeps, so i can just grind up new captains while grinding credits. Should have been clearer on that in original post. Maybe i just used 1 captain to grind elite exp for 2nd captain. But currently i only have 1x19 RN captain, and he is firmly planted in my Firestarter. Maybe just swap him between the ships, since i take it they use more or less the same abilities. But the essence is that i need a good credit grinder. Tier 10 Premium ship camo is good, but i think premium ships gives more Credits. (i do not have DM)

I think we misunderstood...

The "Elite Captain XP" is universal - it is not bound to any nation / ship class!

So... if you have 19 point captain on some high tier ship (whichever nation and whichever ship class - but beast earners are known so you try to use those primarily) you both earn credits and "Elite Captain XP" - once you have enough you simple use it to train and/or re.train you desired captain...

BTW, I highly recommend "Missouri" and/or "Musashi" with 19 point captain on them so you can earn tremendous amount of both credits and "Elite Captain XP" by using appropriate flags! :Smile_Default:

Leo "Apollo11"

• Cool 1

Players
4,925 posts
6,062 battles

Go for the elite exp. If you have no 19 pt captain, Nelson or Hood. Both are more forgiving in captain skills than Warspite, which wants EM, which the DD line won't need. Hood has allround good soft stats and basically can get away with running a completely unsuitable captain. Compared to Nelson also better turret traverse (though Nelson will go bow on most of the time anyway) and the lack of SI is less repair lost.

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,594 posts
15,898 battles
1 hour ago, ShinGetsu said:

Anyway, Nelson for me. Those 406 are damn great.

Build up the command points as a BB commander and then re speck commander to DDs later. (always free commander re speck at clan battle times.

@Hannibalurg

Shame you don't have Belfast I have a 17 point RN DD commander that I take out in Belfast. Nelson and Warspite are both good.. I don't have the Hood

I have a 10 and a 17 point RN DD commander.

Will make a few more 10 point commanders closer to launch I have more than enough commander XP

But low tier RN CL are not bad as well. I use Danae... Or Leander in OPS

[DC_DK]
Players
2,437 posts
24,624 battles

Personally I use my 19 point KGV commander on Belfast, Warspite, Hood, Nelson and Duke of York. You can't beat the usefulness of elite commander XP.

[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
889 posts
8,363 battles
2 hours ago, Hannibalurg said:

So with the new british DD line being announced i do belive it is time to grind up a new Captain. 

What of the mentioned british BB's would you say would be the most solid choice?

(Based on your personal experiences)

All 3 choices are pretty solid, though I have all 3 ships, have not played them that much.

It is a matter of playstyle, for me Nelson is the most fun.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,453 posts
11,412 battles
2 hours ago, Hannibalurg said:

Maybe i just used 1 captain to grind elite exp for 2nd captain. But currently i only have 1x19 RN captain, and he is firmly planted in my Firestarter. Maybe just swap him between the ships, since i take it they use more or less the same abilities. But the essence is that i need a good credit grinder. Tier 10 Premium ship camo is good, but i think premium ships gives more Credits. (i do not have DM)

Do you have ANY 19point captain (of any nation) that can be put in a ship that grinds credits passably? If so, just stick to that. Elite XP is no more nation-bound than credits are. You can, say, comfortably grind both XP for your RN DDs while also printing credits in Missouri - as long as you have the ship and a 19-point USN captain to put in her.

Players
978 posts
5,904 battles

With mid tier premiums it's not s much which is the "better" trainer, if you want to grind elite or free XP you're better off playing high tier anyway.

So rather it's a question of which ship you like, I can vouch for Warspite being good fun. Hood has trolly guns so I would personally not buy that. Nelson seems good but it gets played by better players on average.

Players
111 posts
4,499 battles

Owning all three of the options -

Nelson - unique playstyle thanks to turret layout. Reliable guns that can hammer cruisers in 1-2 well aimed salvos or simply HE spam angling opponents to death. Heal is ridiculous and gives you the effective ability to return from the dead 2-3 times over. Assuming of course you can disengage from all those opponents you antagonised with HE spam earlier...

Armour not brilliant and citadels from incoming fire are quite a regular thing if you are flanked / not at the right angle. Non-existent torpedo protection and loooooong hull makes a tempting target for CVs and DDs. Lacks decent AA and is pretty slow/ponderous. Still fun in a quirky kind of way.

Hood - wonky guns crewed by cross-eyed gunners who are aiming by pointing the barrels 'somewhere over there'. Frustratingly unreliable in terms of hitting the target - even if you do the shells often bounce at range vs. BBs and some heavier cruisers. On the other hand, at closer ranges you can do plenty of damage to cruisers and lighter BBs. 

On the plus side you are pretty quick in a straight line, have a decent armour scheme and plenty of HP to tank with. It's main redeeming feature in my mind has to be the comedy AA weapons system - e.g. hammer the DFAA button and watch every plane in a 1.2km radius drop from the sky. If you hate CVs with a passion you can spec it to increase the range/power of this instant-death-bubble - but it's situational at best. Having said that, not too many Hoods to be seen in randoms - so occasionally you can come across a CV player who is unaware of this little ability. 'Where did all my planes go?'. 

Warspite - can only repeat the words of everyone above - fun ship to play. It's fairly durable, surprisingly agile and at T6 it's 15" guns pack enough punch to be relevant - can also generally land shots on target with a reasonable degree of accuracy. The only downside is a low top speed (plenty of other slow ships at T6). AA is also distinctly average. 

I would say that it does suffer quite a bit when facing T8s - where your usual strengths of armour and firepower (which were pretty good at T6/7) are negated and the low speed + limited AA really work against you. 

TLDR - Only get the Hood if you expressly want to buy the Hood. Nelson is a solid choice that can be earned just by playing and racking up FXP. Warspite is a fun ship and probably the one out of the three that gives you most value for money.

• Cool 2

Players
1,063 posts
8,054 battles

Well, if you take a DD captain with Superintendent and Concealment Expert, it's not even particularly sucky in a Warspite.

I like that ship with BFT+AFT too, to buff those secondaries, but that's more like icing on the cake. It's one of those ships that's not particularly reliant on captain skills.

Overall I like Warspite best of those three, but all three are fun.

[BABBY]
Beta Tester
1,506 posts
8 hours ago, Juanx said:

Practically everyone puts AR and SI and CE on practically everything which makes a decent enough base coverage in any class.

To OP: I'd mostly repeat Gvozdika, although I'd like to add the caveat that Warspite's AA tends to be distinctly below average because the 8 barrel 2-Pounders get knocked out very often... but so do the main guns, so you can't just slap on the auxiliary armament upgrade.

Beta Tester
2,436 posts
3,322 battles
42 minutes ago, Sturmtiger_304 said:

Duke of York.

//End thread.

Fixed that for you :Smile-_tongue: