Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
DangerousDave2k

Best ship for 150 hits? (Indianapolis Marathon)

46 comments in this topic

Players
176 posts
4,523 battles

I think I've only had 150+ hits a small number of times so this is going to be tricky. I might not have the best ships to do it in either. I have American cruisers up to T8, French cruisers up to T7, German cruisers up to T7 and American DDs up to T6 (as well as a couple of BB lines but I'm discounting those for this task). No premiums. I'm thinking either Cleveland or Nurnberg? Not ideal.

Players
3,592 posts
7,346 battles

Anything with high rate of fire, Cleveland matches that with considerable salvo weight. Alternatives would be russian destroyers, light cruisers, UK cruisers, Hindenburg, Des Moines. Doable with US DDs as well.

Basically any boat where you can unleash your inner ork

dakka_by_khaotixdemon-d2yekrh.jpg

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
888 posts
8,166 battles
42 minutes ago, DangerousDave2k said:

I think I've only had 150+ hits a small number of times so this is going to be tricky. I might not have the best ships to do it in either. I have American cruisers up to T8, French cruisers up to T7, German cruisers up to T7 and American DDs up to T6 (as well as a couple of BB lines but I'm discounting those for this task). No premiums. I'm thinking either Cleveland or Nurnberg? Not ideal.

Indeed, you have no suitable line for this mission.

I would go Algerie if I was you but Cleveland sounds solid too.

Soviet high tier DDs are ideal for this mission, though I won it yesterday by just playing a Des Moines battle.

[WGP2W]
Players
1,424 posts
9,973 battles

dakka dakka.. did it in minotaur... in 3 minutes...  but if you dont have something with good ROF as they have stated, doesnt matter which one.

[TIPC]
Players
237 posts
10,142 battles

From these probably the Cleveland,because Nürnberg usualy dosent live long enough to stack up numbers,and Cleve just can pull its brain afk

"hug the island and spam (IF)HE" playstyle and do ok.

(Did it in Akizuki btw)

[PKTZS]
Weekend Tester
2,409 posts
14,616 battles
1 hour ago, DangerousDave2k said:

I have American cruisers up to T8 (Cleveland), French cruisers up to T7 (Galissonniere), German cruisers up to T7 (Nürnberg) and American DDs up to T6 (Farragut in smoke)

Try with those.

Players
1,169 posts
9,151 battles

From a theoretical standpoint, arguably the most important figure to look at is the number of shells the ship can fire in a given amount of time. At almost 111 shells per minute, Cleveland is far ahead of your other ships, even if the Commanders of your US DDs had the Basic Firing Training skill.

Another factor is how well you can accomplish the task of hitting enemy ships 150 times, not just inside the time a battle takes, but also while winning the battle in the end.

To put this in practical terms, though I am a fairly bad player, a challenge like this is absolutely doable in my BFT Atlanta which pumps out a third more shells per minute than the Cleveland, even though it has a lot less range and much more situational gameplay. (It might take me a  few games but I'll get there.) In a fairly slow firing DD with only four guns like Fushun (which is very similar to the Russian DDs someone mentioned), I find it nearly impossible to even just pump out 150 aimed shells during the whole game, at least while clinging to some sort of meaningful playing style. (This translates to about 80 hits on a good day.) And if you just sit in smoke with your gunboat DD farming hits all day, it will impair your scouting, capping etc and thus hurt your team's chance of winning.

The next question though is how well you can cope with the gameplay on the higher tiers you will encounter in Cleveland, even though you will be uptiered a lot on every tier in question. Larger maps, more competent players, more dangerous opponents and all that.

WoWs Kadenz.jpg

• Cool 1

Players
1,169 posts
9,151 battles
Vor 1 Stunde, tank276 sagte:

I would go Algerie if I was you but Cleveland sounds solid too.

Seriously? Heavy cruiser, much slower reload and fewer guns?

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
888 posts
8,166 battles
19 minutes ago, Nautical_Metaphor said:

If you know how to kite,yes.

[JRM]
Players
957 posts
13,500 battles

I did it in Atlanta :cap_money: in the end, had few minotaur attempts but win evaded me in those :cap_old: from your Fleet i guess best bet is clevlend, if u struggle u can div up with a us dd that can smoke and spot for u and its easy going, if u dont can it untill tomorrow i can Go out with u in kidd or fletcher if u want

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,196 posts
11,944 battles

Farragut and Cleveland should both work, the former via smoke HE spamming, the later via island hugging HE spamming, however Cleve is probably the more safe solution. I did the mission using Roon using it's patented 455-tanking/kiting playstyle.

[UNICS]
Players
1,211 posts
15,064 battles

embrace the ways of the lolanta

I personally would pick the GS to farm the glass cannons :P

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
2,982 posts
8,609 battles

Hi all,

I did it in my "Belfast"... in 3rd try last night = 295 hits (1st try was victory with 4 kills but with 126 hits - the 2nd was victory with 114 hits - in both cases the enemy was "steamrolled" and I simply didn't have targets to fire at)... :Smile_honoring:

Leo "Apollo11"

[ICI]
[ICI]
Players
583 posts
3,310 battles

Just got it with the Cleveland on the map Neighbours hugging islands 

Players
47 posts
21,165 battles

Tried many times with a Belfast. Got 150 hits but game lost or game won but not enough BBs to shoot at (1-2 per game).

Did it first try with a Cleveland.

Players
152 posts
4,302 battles

did it in a benson or gearing and also took the task from the "1 week free premium time" campaign  that needs 200 gun hits in 1 match.
Hardest part was to get the win since every1 kept yoloing.

Players
269 posts
9,610 battles

I did it in first attempt with Akizuki.I needed to play first only with torps because there was radar too near and I kill shira and bb...when radarship was dead I set smoke and over 150 hits kurfurst from that one smoke.

Players
161 posts
5,853 battles

i used the Cleavland and managed just with 157 with seconds left of the game. , though it was four cap haven map so island camping wasn't very viable and had to skirmish in and out of cover rather than just holding the fire button down

(.and i was not slacking ..or if i was then there 23 people slacking more according to the score board though in the land of the blind the one eyed man can be king too, that may explain it :Smile_Default:)

image.png

Beta Tester
194 posts
5,643 battles
4 hours ago, Nautical_Metaphor said:

The French cruisers aren't a terrible option, one of the ships I tried the mission with was the Charles Martel (I reached 145 hits but got destroyed just before we won:Smile-angry:). They don't have the rate of fire and weight of guns of a light cruiser but they are consistently doing damage throughout the game so provided it isn't a short game the mission is achievable. A light cruiser is still a better pick though.

Sign in to follow this