Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
thiextar

indianapolis vs new orleans

19 comments in this topic

[-AP-]
Players
592 posts
2,686 battles

So based on the fact that we are all about to get a free indi, i was wondering how it compares to the new orleans? What are the biggest differences?

Im a pretty sub-avarege joe still, and cant yet accurately predict a ships difference in playstyle based on the stats shown in-game, so i would love some discussion about the difference of these two ships

cheers

[CATS]
Players
14,730 posts
10,882 battles

They are very similar.

NO has less range and better Rate of Fire.

NO has better close range AA and more HP.

Unless you are able to profit from Radar, Indianapolis is the weaker ship.

• Cool 2

[ONIX]
Players
1,087 posts
9,032 battles

Yup, what ColonetPete said. Differences in stats are pretty small in favour of one ship or the other (usually NO)

The radar on Indianapolis is nice but with a reload of 14+ secs you are not getting more than 2 salvoes off it before it goes to cooldown. And having it doesn't necessarily mean you should play her differently from NO.

[CATS]
Players
14,730 posts
10,882 battles

image.thumb.png.e18377e5fc0a1be867d6c42768885a7b.png

http://maplesyrup.sweet.coocan.jp/wows/ranking/index.htm

You have to consider two things.

Premium ships usually perform better than silver ships since they do not have stock grind, often use high level captains and the players are motivated to play and keep playing the ship.

On the other hand low number of players and games on some premium ships can lead to a greater variability of the weekly results --> the real stats could be higher or even lower.

After considering these points, the Indianapolis does seem a good bit weaker than New Orleans.

Beta Tester
290 posts
3,507 battles

Indianapolis is... meh at best. Its sluggish, no armor and has a huge citadel. The turret rotation is pitiful, but the guns are accurate and with decent range albeit a slow reload.

The radar is nice, but unless you can get your team to shoot at anything radared you wont do much with it really. If any enemy BB so much as looks in your direction you will be blabbed, and you will be blabbed hard. Basically its a turd of a ship, I’d say the pensacola at tier 6 is a better ship than the indianapolis at tier 7.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
736 posts
6,311 battles

I like the Indi, which I bought immediately after my Pensa grind (which I also loved) and reading that she played very similarly, but with a more reliable bow for tanking. I play her like I play DM at tier 10; supporting caps with the radar and shooting (with albeit extremely slow reload) anything in there and beyond. It's AP is capable of devstriking full health broadside cruisers, and taking reliable 5-6k off broadside BBs.

Beta Tester
1,342 posts
5,212 battles
15 minutes ago, Hades_warrior said:

Im still at Omaha. Soon getting Pepsicola and will see if it smells bad or not.

It doesn't. As long as you are aware that the armor is not really much of an improvement over the Omaha tier for tier and the somewhat lazy shells you should enjoy it. The mid range AA is murderous, it handles really well, you get superheavy AP so AP should be your primary ammo and with 10 guns your HE still hurts a lot.

Turret traverse is bad though and you tend to need time in order to rack up big damage numbers since your reload is quite slow. In randoms it is a fun and quite strong ship, in operations it murders everything at the moment.

• Cool 1

Players
62 posts
8,914 battles

It's a worse ship that the New Orleans and the New Orleans isn't that good either, you get it for free it's probably not very good but it may make enough credits and be good enough as a crew trainer to keep. I certainly would never buy the ship but having said that the only good Tier 7 CL's are the Belfast ( you can no longer buy it ) and the Scharnhorst ( not classed as a CL but it plays like one ).

Players
329 posts
12,973 battles

Basing your decision on in-game stats or other people's opinions is always silly. There are so many "great" ships that many of my friends pull amazing stats with (around %70 WR), yet I barely manage %55 or %60 but I never enjoy those games. There's also so many "awful" ships that everybody trashes every time they have a chance, yet I loved and showed exceptional performance in them. I for one, like Indianapolis a lot. It's a shitcake and I like it. It appeals to me. It is not the most hilarious and exceptional of tier 7 cruisers (Atlanta takes the crown here for me), but she has attitude and hits hard. I would suggest Indy over the NO just because it does everything just as good but also brings radar to the party, only that it has to be used wisely, i.e use only when your team or your division can capitalize on it given your fire rate.

Yet everyone else flushes it down the toilet every time she's brought up.....

All this stupid bollocking aside, my point is - quit wasting your time digging up statistics and asking for people's opinions (choose to ignore mine as well if you will), and wait until you receive, only then will you know if it works for you or not. From there onward, it will depend on you what will you make of that ship. 

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
3,207 posts
10,386 battles

Excellent ship to counter Belfasts (once they're smoked up).

Your radar range is 1.4km further than theirs, and your AP shreds them 

• Cool 1

[WGP2W]
Players
1,423 posts
9,971 battles
16 minutes ago, lup3s said:

Excellent ship to counter Belfasts (once they're smoked up).

Your radar range is 1.4km further than theirs, and your AP shreds them 

Its only thing we have left from old pepsicola :(

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles

Indianapolis has the range and radar. New Orleans has basically everything else. Not that Indianapolis is a bad ship, but even with the recent buffs the rudder is slower than New Orleans, so NO is a better heir to the agile Pensacola playstyle. I like both, but they're more different in playstyle than first impressions might suggest.

Players
2,371 posts
6,683 battles
On 21-6-2018 at 9:18 PM, Hades_warrior said:

Im still at Omaha. Soon getting Pepsicola and will see if it smells bad or not.

I play Pepsi a bit as if it were a quick-turning BB with ssllooooowww turret traverse and with no armor whatsoever (generally, don't bother angling, just make yourself a small target, dodge those shells and hope they keep missing). The reload time is like 15 seconds or so?

Pepsis guns are great once they fire and it got nice AA :Smile_great: (both DefAA if you pick that and a fighter).

[BOATY]
Players
550 posts
8,583 battles

New Orleans was tear 8 ship and her dpm is supperior. Indianapolis was better ship than old Pepsi but she went down tier while Indi was left at her former. 

So, Indi is good freemium, but you should get it for free. Perhaps the reason for Indianapolis marathon is her under performance for her current level. 

P. S. Do not even try to compare it to Belfast or Atlanta. These ships are far superior. 

Players
2,173 posts
3,836 battles
43 minutes ago, NothingButTheRain said:

I play Pepsi a bit as if it were a quick-turning BB with ssllooooowww turret traverse and with no armor whatsoever (generally, don't bother angling, just make yourself a small target, dodge those shells and hope they keep missing). The reload time is like 15 seconds or so?

Pepsis guns are great once they fire and it got nice AA :Smile_great: (both DefAA if you pick that and a fighter).

Yea that sucks. Seems like easy to delete ship. I saw once triple Pepsi division on twitch and they all died in first 5 min or so.

Did WG make some changes on Pepsi like they did on most of US cruisers and make them ''heavy''?

Players
2,371 posts
6,683 battles
1 minute ago, Hades_warrior said:

Yea that sucks. Seems like easy to delete ship. I saw once triple Pepsi division on twitch and they all died in first 5 min or so.

Did WG make some changes on Pepsi like they did on most of US cruisers and make them ''heavy''?

Frankly, I think Pepsi is more competitive now then it was before it got downtiered.

If you can handle it's peculiar quirkes, I think Pepsi can be a nice ship to play. But being able to survive in a battle is not something it can be relied on, it's a glass cannon :etc_red_button::fish_boom:

Players
2,173 posts
3,836 battles
18 minutes ago, NothingButTheRain said:

Frankly, I think Pepsi is more competitive now then it was before it got downtiered.

If you can handle it's peculiar quirkes, I think Pepsi can be a nice ship to play. But being able to survive in a battle is not something it can be relied on, it's a glass cannon :etc_red_button::fish_boom:

Thats a good change to hear it. Will give it a shot.

I hope its not so much glassy as the Nurnberg is. That german cancer is magnet for citadels.

This reminds me on Shinonome.. Fast ship with fast rudder shift but slow turning turrents and slow reload.

Sign in to follow this