Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Bratwurst_Bob

Scenario: Futility of Naval Station Newport

36 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
169 posts
5,404 battles

Her are some observations of mine, yours may differ. The points I'm making are for the devs and their consideration. To be frank, I don't care how l33t you are at this scenario or what a n00b I'm supposed to be. I'm not angry while typing this, I'm trying to point out things that keep this scenario from working. Or being fun. This is zero fun atm.

• Every enemy ship approaches head on, giving the smallest silhouette possible. Trying to hit & sink them is a pain in the rear, especially in a BB scattering like crazy anyway.
  • I have yet to win a round in this scenario, the sheer volume of ships overwhelms the defenders fast. To try and get as much fire on those slim targets the defenders need to show the broadside while the AI just races towards you and shows the bow. So you are shot to pieces while they just weather the shots.
  • Everything that attacks is fast. All of them. The time it takes to reload is especially in a BB so painstaking slow considering their speed you might get 3 salvos off before they are on you.
  • All of them are armed with torpedoes. Anything that gets near enough will blow you up while you basically sit around in that silly defense perimeter, maybe even hugging that puny repair ship in an attempt to get repairs done.
  • As usual bringing a DD is pointless. I'll not even ogo into the details, just test it for yourself. Might as well bash a pan over my head, just as fun and productive.
  • Even if you somehow reach the final stage you get to fight fresh tier 7 ships. Yep, the frosting on the silly cake. Not only are those few surviving defenders shot to pieces already, now they get to fight off superior forces.
  • The attack waves come too fast to refresh or reposition. Basically they are not only fast but also coming from various directions making a repositioning necessary but impossible since you're still busy finishing off the last ships from the previous wave.
  • Carriers are practically useless. The planes at tier 6 are too slow to keep up with the attackers when it comes to take-off, attack, return, land, rearm.  And as usual the AI reacts not only always correctly but faster than a human to any torpedo drop. And with their fast approach they swerve very fast.
  • Too many attackers. Waaaaaaaaaaaaay too may. How the hell is a random team of 7 ships supposed to survive the combined firepower of that many ships at such short intervals? 
  • Trying to use the islands in front of the perimeter is useless, since the waves attacking will catch you at the wrong angle as soon as the next wave spawns from a different direction. And you will get hit with the combined firepower of everything out there. So you need to stay with the heard to hope not catching too many hits. Which you will anyway, because your teammates die left and rigth, leaving fewer and fewer targets.

I could probably post some more, but that's all for now. Like I said, your opinion might differ, I don't care. Hopefully someone will take this under consideration, thank you.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 2

[HAERT]
[HAERT]
Players
1,183 posts
2,399 battles

The key to this scenario is to take something with good DPM. Nurnburg works well, Cleveland used to.

Don't stray away from the base and this operation is relatively simple to win. The fails I've had on this scenario have all come in random teams when people rush out to meet the enemy.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
3,207 posts
10,386 battles

same guy who thinks Raptor Rescue is too difficult

-> git gud

This Scenario is as easy as any.

CV's weak ? You have to be joking .. right ?? :cap_wander:

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
622 posts
10,945 battles

It's Thursday, it's a new operation and once again there's a 'but mummy it's too hard' whine thread started, regular as clockwork.

So you don't care about our opinions, you don't want our advice, you just want to stamp your little feet until they make it easier. Well with an attitude like that I don't think anyone will be interested in your opinions either.

• Cool 1

[BONI]
Players
1,064 posts
9,340 battles
52 minutes ago, lup3s said:

same guy who thinks Raptor Rescue is too difficult

-> git gud

This Scenario is as easy as any.

It's easy enough to 3-star, much harder than Aegis to 5-star.

• Cool 2

[CAIN]
Players
2,732 posts
10,858 battles
1 hour ago, Bratwurst_Bob said:

Her are some observations of mine, yours may differ. The points I'm making are for the devs and their consideration. To be frank, I don't care how l33t you are at this scenario or what a n00b I'm supposed to be. I'm not angry while typing this, I'm trying to point out things that keep this scenario from working. Or being fun. This is zero fun atm.

• Every enemy ship approaches head on, giving the smallest silhouette possible. Trying to hit & sink them is a pain in the rear, especially in a BB scattering like crazy anyway.
  • I have yet to win a round in this scenario, the sheer volume of ships overwhelms the defenders fast. To try and get as much fire on those slim targets the defenders need to show the broadside while the AI just races towards you and shows the bow. So you are shot to pieces while they just weather the shots.
  • Everything that attacks is fast. All of them. The time it takes to reload is especially in a BB so painstaking slow considering their speed you might get 3 salvos off before they are on you.
  • All of them are armed with torpedoes. Anything that gets near enough will blow you up while you basically sit around in that silly defense perimeter, maybe even hugging that puny repair ship in an attempt to get repairs done.
  • As usual bringing a DD is pointless. I'll not even ogo into the details, just test it for yourself. Might as well bash a pan over my head, just as fun and productive.
  • Even if you somehow reach the final stage you get to fight fresh tier 7 ships. Yep, the frosting on the silly cake. Not only are those few surviving defenders shot to pieces already, now they get to fight off superior forces.
  • The attack waves come too fast to refresh or reposition. Basically they are not only fast but also coming from various directions making a repositioning necessary but impossible since you're still busy finishing off the last ships from the previous wave.
  • Carriers are practically useless. The planes at tier 6 are too slow to keep up with the attackers when it comes to take-off, attack, return, land, rearm.  And as usual the AI reacts not only always correctly but faster than a human to any torpedo drop. And with their fast approach they swerve very fast.
  • Too many attackers. Waaaaaaaaaaaaay too may. How the hell is a random team of 7 ships supposed to survive the combined firepower of that many ships at such short intervals? 
  • Trying to use the islands in front of the perimeter is useless, since the waves attacking will catch you at the wrong angle as soon as the next wave spawns from a different direction. And you will get hit with the combined firepower of everything out there. So you need to stay with the heard to hope not catching too many hits. Which you will anyway, because your teammates die left and rigth, leaving fewer and fewer targets.

I could probably post some more, but that's all for now. Like I said, your opinion might differ, I don't care. Hopefully someone will take this under consideration, thank you.

Don‘t play BBs, play Cruisers instead.

With careful positioning you can exploit the fact that the AI follows the same path. 

Your ship can move, so use the WASD keys now and than and you‘ll be able to stay angled most of the time. 

Don‘t sail towards the enemy, position yourself in a way where you can stay angled and can kite them. 

Try to git gud, once you‘re gud, try to become even gudder. 

If all fails, try playing WoT. 

• Funny 1

[HAERT]
Players
2,103 posts
11 minutes ago, Jethro_Grey said:

Don‘t play BBs, play Cruisers instead.

With careful positioning you can exploit the fact that the AI follows the same path. 

Your ship can move, so use the WASD keys now and than and you‘ll be able to stay angled most of the time. 

Don‘t sail towards the enemy, position yourself in a way where you can stay angled and can kite them. 

Try to git gud, once you‘re gud, try to become even gudder. 

If all fails, try playing WoT. 

I agree with you, it's winnable, but angling is a bit pointless as most of the enemies spam HE. 

Players
1,510 posts
10,542 battles

Be glad you dont play the operation  when all waves were 1 tier higher (final wave was gneisenaus and scharnhorsts with Hippers and Mogamis along).

THAT was hard to 5-star (but possible).

As it is now, it is almost possible to solo-carry to a win in a CV. Getting 5 stars is still hard though, because of the average player quality.

You obviously are doing it wrong if you cant make CVs work. (you need basic skill like knowing how to manual drop and how to stack unrepairable fires though)

CV is the best class for this operation as almost none of the attacking cruisers have worthwhile AA

200k damage games in the Ruyjo are the average for me, the highest I went was 292k i believe.

If CV isnt your thing, pick BB with good speed (french) or 15 inch guns able to overmatch all bows (Bayern, QE) or pick a high DPM cruiser (Leander, nurnberg comes to mind)

Finally you know where the enemty ships spawn and they follow a natural arc around the base. Easy to have all 7 ships in position for each wave in time.

The only real problems can be the DDs crossing the base perimiter by sneaking in undetected and the southernmost cruisers on 3rd wave.

Basically, 

CV deletes the BB in each wave plus the zuiho 

CAs stay inside the perimiter and kill DDs and help with BBs if the CV for some reason [edited] up, otherwise just nail CAs

BBs delete CAs

BBs that can overmatch the nose of CAs: just push up to the perimiter and start the deleting process

Fast BBs: get slightly outside the perimiter in an adjecent corridor and start shooting those flat broadsides, also make sure course is towards the next spawn or towards the base.

Beta Tester
1,850 posts
6,153 battles

Now that DEEPEEMM Cleveland is nolonger a option (was the best ship for ops) i find Buddy is a verry good choice aswell, BB's not so mutch. 

And as others said, the Ai follows a preprogramed course, so once you know the Ai's "habbits"well, ops become targetpractice :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 2

[CAIN]
Players
2,732 posts
10,858 battles
13 minutes ago, BeauNidl3 said:

I agree with you, it's winnable, but angling is a bit pointless as most of the enemies spam HE. 

True, but I still like to angle my ship to present a smaller target area and to avoid the mistake I once made in my Leander... counting on the AI Aoba to shoot HE at me while I turn...it turns out, unlike many players, the AI knows to shoot AP at broadsides. ^^

• Funny 1

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,780 posts
10,685 battles

(...)

51 minutes ago, Bratwurst_Bob said:

Same guy because I play scenarios and give feedback. 

The sad reality of many games is that for them to be fun, you need some measure of skill - how much depends on the game. You might not care how good other players are at this operation or how much of a n00b you seem to be, but the fact is: most of your problems with this scenario (and others as well) boils down to your frustration at lack of success... that, in turn, is the direct effect of your lack of skill. If you could play better, you would be more successful and you would have more fun. Admittedly, getting your stern kicked over and over by bots sounds like something pretty frustrating, unlikely to provide much fun.

And, to talk about things more throughly

BBs in general aren't ideal for operations but from my limited BB experience in NSN - proper positioning and target selection lets you sink enemy ships just right.

While a bad team can make it seem so, the numbers of enemy ships aren't nearly as hard to handle as you describe them - unless the whole team sits deep in the base and starts sniping once the enemy is almost in the game. And then the defense is breached, the final push makes appearance and, yes, THEN the defenses are overwhelmed. But if you defend properly from the start of the scenario, things tend to not go that badly.

Again, BBs aren't really a great pick for operations and therefore require a bit more skill to be effective. If you can't handle them, switch to cruisers.

Bots aren't very good at using torpedoes, though. They are relatively easy to handle. Also, you just complained about enemies never showing broadsides? Guess what they HAVE to do to torp you.

Depends on a DD and how many of them you have. One DD can be a plus. Any more, yes, becomes a burden to the team because you really need reliable firepower and DDs just don't provide that.

There are also allied bots but, anyway - back to the "git gud". Not to mention that even heavy losses in the last phase don't preclude victory. If you manage to protect the base so that the final push appears when scheduled, the scenario is almost won.

Well, the need to hold of the relentless assault is the real difficulty of the scenario - the ability to balance dealing with incoming enemies and retaining flexible positioning to be ready for the next wave is what this scenario is all about. The actual might of the enemy isn't all that much - if they all came from one direction, the scenario would be a simple turkey shooting exercise.

BAD carriers are prectically useless. As always. A good CV player can contribute a lot. As always. And bots react fast but predictably.

Mostly by focusing fire and killing them fast while not taking too much damage in the process. Decent players don't have much problems with doing just that.

The fact that YOU can't use terrain to your advantage successfully doesn't mean that it's impossible (or useless).

TL/DR:

Git gud and then scenarios will be much more fun. The same holds true for PvP, btw.

• Cool 2

[WTFNO]
Players
202 posts
4,708 battles

A quick question:

It seems that you get the allied CV to escort/defend only if you prevent the enemy breach.

Otherwise you get the second enemy CV to sink instead.

At least it went like the 4 times since yesterday, two of each case.

Is it confirmed, and if yes, was it changed from previous iterations ?

Thanks

• Cool 1

Players
1,344 posts
5,355 battles

Played one game in my Molotov today, got a 1 star win with 5 kills and about 120k damage and topped the team score with 700-ish base XP. I died under the focus of about 4 ships while the rest of my team sat behind islands unwilling to fight except for 1 NM BB who can second with 550-ish XP. Eventually they all slowly got picked off one by one until the NM BB finished the game as the last one alive.

There's only so much carrying one single person can do if the majority of the team just don't want to scratch the paint on their shiny pixels ships yet, unlike Co-Op, the amount of epic carrying that single person can do just isn't enough.

I mean I could have played another 10-15 games and won them all with 5 star wins (you never know) but after the disappointment of yet another poor team in Scenarios I just couldn't bring myself to hit the battle button after that and I doubt I'll try it again during this rotation.

Players
773 posts
12,265 battles
4 hours ago, Bratwurst_Bob said:

Huh? Well, if you go with an Independence, anchor yourself to the dock at the inner part of the harbour and only do autodrops then yes, pretty useless. A 122 Ryujo in a forward position has the best possible cycling, only having to fall back in reverse during the third wave if the friendly losses are heavy already.

Targeting DDs in order to prevent a sneak is a key role, like sinking the Izumo with timed attacks and DoT if the perimeter hasn't been breached. The CV is also the only one that can finish off the spawning Zuiho if it sails away out of reach. Knowing in advance which ships use DefAA is also a plus, so you can either avoid or trigger them for later: Yubari, Aobas and Myokos (while KM cruisers are, AFAIK, probably equipped with hydro).

Salute.

• Cool 1

[CU]
Players
133 posts
12,880 battles

Oh. Wish I had seen this before I posted about enemy getting an extra CV cos nothing for your planes to shoot mid to late game if you play cv. Oops.

*edit* 5 stars first try with Independance. Had a couple of pretty good players on team tho.

Players
382 posts
2 hours ago, AmiralPotato said:

A quick question:

It seems that you get the allied CV to escort/defend only if you prevent the enemy breach.

Otherwise you get the second enemy CV to sink instead.

At least it went like the 4 times since yesterday, two of each case.

Is it confirmed, and if yes, was it changed from previous iterations ?

Thanks

As far as I remember it has always worked that way, from when it and the other three original scenarios were first tested on the PTS. Prevent the breach and have to save the carrier, have things be breached and enemy attack gets triggered. Fortunately it does seem like the carrier spawns the same side of the map as the wave of cruisers and destroyers that most often (in my experience) cause the breach so whichever side of the map you have gone to desperately prevent their charge is the correct side also to equally desperately try to prevent the carrier's destruction (one of the few things that feels more difficult since they tweaked things).

I'd also defend Bratwurst_Bob a little. Even with scenarios having a little degree of randomness they do go smoother the more you play them and get the feel for them, so can be hard to remember what it was like before you got the feel for them. I don't think I've managed to "git gud" but practice makes perfect adequate in my case for scenarios. :Smile-_tongue:

• Cool 1

[PKTZS]
Weekend Tester
2,408 posts
14,616 battles

Don't bother.

Just like last week, WG has removed the missions to get rewards for 5 stars and 3 stars in operations, so no decent player that has already 5-stared this operation is going to bother. What you have left playing are 90% potatoes of the worst kind that hide the whole game, or die in the first wave.

Players
1,344 posts
5,355 battles

Well broke my own self imposed "no try" limit and had another go but this time in my Huanghe with it's rolling smoke cloud for cover and TRB for surprising Bots around islands. Did 130k and 5 kills for 1200 base XP and the Assistant achievement for a 3 star win.

I also had a very enlightening conversation with the full health Fuso sat in the health-regen area as he told me with a straight face that avoiding damage in a BB was a "skill", while all the remaining cruisers were now dead which lost all our DPM and the chance of a higher win. He's played 6K+ battles and is a 42% WR player with an average damage of 24k overall and only 30k average damage in the 2300+ TX games he's played - Guess I should listen to the expert!

After that I've stopped playing again :Smile_facepalm:

[WJDE]
Beta Tester
479 posts
8,299 battles

Inferior meatbags can't handle superior programmink! Sooner or later wows bots will become fully sentient shipgirls and then robowaifus! FEEL THE MIGHT OF YOUR FUTURE OVERLORDS!

I mean, uh, oh no, this is so sad.

Oh, and this:

Full human team:

hhhOCa4.jpg?1

GLORIOUS WAIFUBOT CARRY:

UBrD9hD.jpg?1

[CU]
Players
133 posts
12,880 battles
2 hours ago, orzel286 said:

Inferior meatbags can't handle superior programmink! Sooner or later wows bots will become fully sentient shipgirls and then robowaifus! FEEL THE MIGHT OF YOUR FUTURE OVERLORDS!

I mean, uh, oh no, this is so sad.

Oh, and this:

Hide contents

Full human team:

hhhOCa4.jpg?1

GLORIOUS WAIFUBOT CARRY:

UBrD9hD.jpg?1

Hilarious (tho second one not so terrible).

Players
235 posts
9,849 battles
On ‎21‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 1:27 PM, Bratwurst_Bob said:

Image result for samuel johnson meme

• Boring 2

Beta Tester
622 posts
10,945 battles

image.thumb.png.f27fb38069707f0ad2d49532d7a0284b.png

image.thumb.png.6e0bff82000a1d8bbe0ee591b4df798c.png

• Carriers are practically useless.

image.thumb.png.5444c039ae75869c59e4a2acdf3f67e5.png

They seem to be doing fine to me.

Players
161 posts
5,853 battles
On 6/21/2018 at 2:52 PM, GulvkluderGuld said:

BBs that can overmatch the nose of CAs: just push up to the perimiter and start the deleting process

where do i buy this dispersion buff where hitting the nose of a bow on CA happens with a t6 BB more than one in 4 salvos please?  

Beta Tester
564 posts
3,550 battles
8 hours ago, Lord_Holland_of_Wessex said:

Image result for samuel johnson meme

Apple products.

Wat8.jpg

Also please use WASD hacks for a 80% increased success rate.

Sign in to follow this