Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Aragathor

Special Upgrade must have list

35 comments in this topic

[BYOB]
Players
3,070 posts
11,033 battles

With the coming of the Arsenal it will be possible to buy special upgrades. Now it is important to know where to put them, as buying them left and right would be dumb.

So, which special upgrades should go on which ship? What are your personal favorites? I'll start with some of the upgrades I use or have seen used:

Perth - Spotting Aircraft Modification 1 and Smoke Generator Modification 1, both really needed to make the ship viable. Hydro mod 1 would be nice to have upgrade, but not as critical as the first two.

LoYang - Hydroacoustic Search Modification 1. Hands down one of the best combos in my opinion, giving an extra 18s of hydro to better kill enemy DDs.

Kidd - Defensive AA Fire Mod 1. Nothing says screw you CV better than this.

Des Moines - Surveillance Radar Mod 1. A competitive staple.

Aigle - Engine Boost Mod 1. 3 minutes of 45kn cruising with Sierra Mike.

• Cool 3

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
2,977 posts
8,585 battles

Hi all,

I got just a  few of those upgrades via SuperContainers in past months...

I use:

• "Surveillance Radar Modification 1" on my "Des Moines"
  • "Hydroacoustic Search Modification 1" on my "Z23" (soon to be "Z46")

Leo "Apollo11"

• Cool 1

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,765 posts
10,662 battles

The improved engine boost is valuable on most DDs, it lets you really use the consumable to get places rather than just receive a quick burst of speed to accelerate from smoke when you realize you counted Radars wrong :Smile-_tongue:

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,844 posts
6,141 battles

Currently i have 3 of the mods. 

Radar mod i put on mt DM so the radar duration is a trolly 56 seconds. 

Got two speed boost mods, one on Harekaze the other on Yugumo. 

Was planing to get the hydro module to slot on the Z52 and one for LoYang. 

A radar mod for Kronny. 

If i have any spare coal after that as Aragathor, smoke gen mod for Perth :Smile_honoring:

[NWP]
Players
888 posts
8,163 battles
1 minute ago, principat121 said:

Engine Boost Special Upgrade fits perfect for french cruisers or battleboats.

Plus Khabarovsk.

[IDDQD]
Alpha Tester
3,230 posts
7,027 battles

spotting plane upgrade for hindenburg ( if you use reload upgrade instead of the range one)

hydro upgrade for minotaur

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
3,207 posts
10,378 battles

Spotter Plane on Yamato or Montana :cap_like:

• Funny 1

[KAKE]
Players
786 posts
2,963 battles

I definitely want to give Hydro mod a try on the German DDs. 

And even if it's been (or will be) nerfed, radar mod is probably still going to be a good choice on pretty much all of the radar cruisers.

Beta Tester
1,844 posts
6,141 battles
1 minute ago, lup3s said:

Spotter Plane on Yamato or Montana :cap_like:

If i see a Yammy with that i know where they got the idea from now :Smile-_tongue:

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
3,207 posts
10,378 battles
3 minutes ago, Major_Damage225 said:

If i see a Yammy with that i know where they got the idea from now :Smile-_tongue:

Tbh I think I use it on my Yamato (I think - I use one of those on a BB but can't really recall which one).

Other upgrades are quite crap anyway .. might as well extend my spotter plane's time in the air

• Funny 1

Beta Tester
1,844 posts
6,141 battles
18 minutes ago, lup3s said:

Tbh I think I use it on my Yamato (I think - I use one of those on a BB but can't really recall which one).

Other upgrades are quite crap anyway .. might as well extend my spotter plane's time in the air

Hmm i always use the fighter, though now that i think of it the topdown view angle can be more useful :cap_yes:

Edit: dose the module slot on the Duca D'Aosta? now thats a ship that would benefit alot from the extended spotter. :cap_tea:

Edited by Major_Damage225

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,296 posts
7,544 battles
11 minutes ago, Major_Damage225 said:

Hmm i always use the fighter, though now that i think of it the topdown view angle can be more useful :cap_yes:

Edit: dose the module slot on the Duca D'Aosta? now thats a ship that would benefit alot from the extended spotter. :cap_tea:

you should be able to slot spotter module on any ship that has a spotter plane. As far as i know only the radar and hydro ones are restricted by Tier.

Don't forget to give the powerful radar module to those ships which have radar as outstanding gimmik like Missouri, Black and PA DDs (if radar is used ofc).

Hydro is also not wrong to slot on most ships that come with hydro.

Smoke and spotter is mostly a Perth thingy though....

• Cool 1

[OCTO]
Players
629 posts
15,141 battles
14 minutes ago, Major_Damage225 said:

It does, and it does help.

• Cool 1

Players
1,509 posts
10,533 battles

Speedboost on Khabarovsk

DFAA mod on Gearing and DesMo

Hydro mod on Lo Yang (dont like it on Z52 because of the already short duration smokes)

Radar on DesMo

Radar on Moskva

Radar on YY

Got a few more surplus hydro, DFAA and other mods that I dont know what to do with 

52 minutes ago, Miessa3 said:

Don't forget to give the powerful radar module to those ships which have radar as outstanding gimmik like Missouri, Black and PA DDs (if radar is used ofc).

Hydro is also not wrong to slot on most ships that come with hydro.

Smoke and spotter is mostly a Perth thingy though....

You cant slot Radar mod on Missouri, because reasons :/ 

(just think of how monstrous that ship would get)

[SM0KE]
Players
2,068 posts
5,838 battles
3 hours ago, Aragathor said:

Perth - Spotting Aircraft Modification 1 and Smoke Generator Modification 1, both really needed to make the ship viable. Hydro mod 1 would be nice to have upgrade, but not as critical as the first two.

I've tended to struggle with Perth (mainly, I suspect, because I suck); might try sticking the suggested mods on, and making a serious attempt to get the hang of her...

[WGP2W]
Players
1,420 posts
9,957 battles

Yo, consider that Radar module is getting nerfed... from 40% to 20%... so it is still good but not by that huge marking....

Also IMHO those prices are expensive, most hardcore players have between 12-15k oil.... and you can buy only 3,4 of those... I have no idea for people who open 1 or 2 containers daily (average even less) can get....  but ok

[SCRUB]
Players
7,298 posts
9,517 battles

Personally I actually prefer not to slot the hydro upgrade on DDs like my Lo Yang or the Z-52. Reason being that the longer active time also means a slower cycling rate (i.e.: longer downtime until I can pair hydro and smoke again), plus the base duration is already long enough to comfortably deter/push DDs out of caps or whatever you need it to at the moment.

Otherwise, I might grab myself a Smoke upgrade for the Huang-He and the rest essentially just goes towards Radar upgrades at first (since SC RNG keeps throwing everything except radar upgrades at me, bloody DCP and Spotter Plane upgrades everywhere).

• Cool 1

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,765 posts
10,662 battles
5 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

Personally I actually prefer not to slot the hydro upgrade on DDs like my Lo Yang or the Z-52. Reason being that the longer active time also means a slower cycling rate (i.e.: longer downtime until I can pair hydro and smoke again), plus the base duration is already long enough to comfortably deter/push DDs out of caps or whatever you need it to at the moment.

This. It's a very important thing to consider. I don't have Hydro DDs, but this is the thing with Hydro - the active time tends to be long enough and it's more common to think "damn, I wish the cooldown was a bit shorter" than "damn, I wish it was active a bit longer". It depends, of course, and there are times when you use every second of active Hydro time and wish there were more - but usually the thing you need more is for the Hydro to be off CD once you need it again. And CD only starts counting down once the active time ends.

[BYOB]
Players
3,070 posts
11,033 battles
16 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

I've tended to struggle with Perth (mainly, I suspect, because I suck); might try sticking the suggested mods on, and making a serious attempt to get the hang of her...

The Smoke Generator mod works wonders. If only it would also reduce the reload time of the smoke...

14 minutes ago, Boris_MNE said:

Also IMHO those prices are expensive, most hardcore players have between 12-15k oil.... and you can buy only 3,4 of those... I have no idea for people who open 1 or 2 containers daily (average even less) can get....  but ok

Afaik the Dev Blog has an entry which states that there will be a new category of daily crate called "More Resources" with a guaranteed coal drop. If you go for 3 a day (3x300) you can get one special upgrade a month and then some.

• Cool 1

[T_I_W]
Players
139 posts
8,865 battles

running the smoke mod on gearing is a bundle of laughs, you can really draw massive lines of long lasting smoke to break up line of sight and assist your team (wait this is a team game?!?!)

speedboost mod on gearing also seems quite nice to me since i almost never face CVs and speed is one of the biggest flaws in gearing

before the shooting from smoke detection change happened this was pretty overpowered since you could hide half your team in a huge smoke cloud and the enemy wouldnt have a clue the amount of ships coming to sink them...

a bit situational now perhaps but i find it useful to save BBs who are gettign focused too hard and its glorius when combined with a des moines

• Cool 1

[OCTO]
Players
629 posts
15,141 battles

Radar - for obvious reasons, wherever you can

Engine Boost - I actually run it on IJN DDs (Akizuki, Shinonome, Yugumo and Shiratsuyu) , French cruisers and Leningrad

Hydro - mainly on German DDs

Players
166 posts
8,944 battles
4 hours ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:
  • "Hydroacoustic Search Modification 1" on my "Z23" (soon to be "Z46")

It is waste of space on z23 mate,same about z46

[ADRIA]
Players
4,214 posts
6,775 battles

Spotting Aircraft Mod on Montana (or even on the previous US BBs) is pretty great. Not for the range, if you're using SA for range you're doing something wrong. It's the elevated view to accurately fire over islands and against smokescreens, you're absolutely superb at that. Also you can spot a full stealth build Conq out up to 16.3km range with it. And also you can combine it with the 2x planes capt skill to prevent losing it due to nearby enemy AA / to make sure they always spot enemy Conqs before you could surface-spot them

Radar mod on Yueyang is pretty useful, current 28s radar or even post-nerf (if they go through with it) 24s radar isn't bad at all. Great in CB, absolutely dominating in Randoms. Then again - name 1 radar ship which isn't made better by mounting the radar mod

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this