Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
pzkpfwv1d

Minsk - advice needed

28 comments in this topic

[WCWVE]
Players
927 posts
15,059 battles

Does anyone have any useful advice for Minsk - it is fully upgraded and yet with the current preponderance of Radar ships and and those god awful 4km range torpedoes this ship seems to be rather lack lustre 

Players
65 posts
4,847 battles

I just pulled this one.

Completely stock, captain 5k away from being retrained. And my.. 3rd game after the Gnevny.

It's the same as always... Keep at max range, try to pick on isolated battleships, dodge shells with your speed. As a RU DD, you will be always be spotted, no need for CE and radars hardly hurt you anyway.
Try to set as many fires as you can and forget your torps - unless you can bumrush an unsuspecting battleship with 45 knots around a corner, unload torpedoes and watch him waggle his lil guns in your direction while the torps do their work.
Dont try and contest caps at the beginning, do it later once the most threats are dealt with.
Really, I'm not an expert on anything, especially not RU DDs, but I think in this game I had the RU lifestyle point on.

https://replayswows.com/replay/25071#stats

image.png

• Cool 3

[BLITZ]
Players
2,779 posts
10,269 battles

Radar? You should be shooting most of the time (while moving flying), so that shouldn't be a problem.

• Cool 2

[CATS]
Players
20,522 posts
12,567 battles
2 minutes ago, SeeteufeI said:

Radar? You should be shooting most of the time (while moving flying), so that shouldn't be a problem.

Exactly.

Keep the ship moving at top speed all the time. Unless you know for sure that you are not in danger, do not slow down.

• Cool 1

[BLITZ]
Players
2,779 posts
10,269 battles
59 minutes ago, pzkpfwv1d said:

those god awful 4km range torpedoes this ship seems to be rather lack lustre

I got the Leningrad. She has quite good torpedoes compared to Minsk, twice the range. But my damage comes ma(i)nly from the guns. So even with much better torpedoes I tend to use them not that often. Maybe thats a mistake, but I think I do pretty okay in her.

• Cool 1

Players
74 posts
8,846 battles

As others have said, don't rely on the torps, play her as a gunboat and stay on the move constantly.

Also, hope you don't get thrown into T9 MM all the time, as this is, from my own experience, not a whole lot of fun.

MM really seems to hate my Minsk: Both times I tried taking her out I was basically the sacrificial DD in an almost pure T9 match...

Players
74 posts
8,846 battles

Only if you aren't the last DD alive on your team after 5 minutes and at least have to try to make a difference.

Players
743 posts
8,759 battles
32 minutes ago, SeeteufeI said:

I got the Leningrad. She has quite good torpedoes compared to Minsk, twice the range. But my damage comes ma(i)nly from the guns. So even with much better torpedoes I tend to use them not that often. Maybe thats a mistake, but I think I do pretty okay in her.

You can stealth torp, which is a plus. I tend to launch them at closing ships 10 km away and then start shooting as they close to about 4 km. complicates their firing dramatically. 

Does anyone have any useful advice for Minsk - it is fully upgraded and yet with the current preponderance of Radar ships and and those god awful 4km range torpedoes this ship seems to be rather lack lustre 

Go fast, waggle and start fires. I would go IFHE over CE if you have to chose. As others have noted the torps are very situational. T8 you have better torpedoes and even worse detection, but it will still be the guns that do all the damage. It can be very sloid disputing caps with EM, but it is very situational as the turrest are slower tham most cruisers.

[BLITZ]
Players
2,779 posts
10,269 battles
1 minute ago, That_Other_Nid said:

You can stealth torp, which is a plus.

I still prefer gunboating. Torpboat-mode gets enabled when I'm low on HP.

• Cool 1

Players
4,058 posts
7,583 battles
2 hours ago, SeeteufeI said:

Why not use the smoke?  She's quick but those engine boosts don't last forever, she has a decent base range but doesn't have access to the range mod and benefits greatly from CE, so absent a 16 point captain you're going to be limited to 12.2 km, as a T7 she should'nt expect to see much radar, no access to heal so smoke camping surely should be a core part of the gameplay.

[BLITZ]
Players
2,779 posts
10,269 battles
14 minutes ago, Capra76 said:

Why not use the smoke?

I didn't say "Don't use the smoke!!!". ;)

If there's the right situation one could use it of course. I just think speed-tanking helps allies a lot.

I might be spoilt a little bit though, since I don't have to use anything but 19-point commanders fortunately. :Smile_hiding:

Players
4,058 posts
7,583 battles
2 minutes ago, SeeteufeI said:

I didn't say "Don't use the smoke!!!". ;)

If there's the right situation one could use it of course. I just think speed-tanking helps allies a lot.

Problem is that when you're the only DD in the game (quite frequent at T7) you're much better off keeping your health for the cap battles, so speed tanking might help your team, but one good salvo can take half your health and severly limit your strategic utility so generally I'd say no thanks.

I think it might be a a mis-play to try to use the lower tier RU ships in the same way as Khaba, operating as a pure gunboat in a DD heavy environment is one thing, doing it when you're the only DD in the game is something else.

[TS1]
Players
590 posts
7,618 battles
3 hours ago, Capra76 said:

I think it might be a a mis-play to try to use the lower tier RU ships in the same way as Khaba, operating as a pure gunboat in a DD heavy environment is one thing, doing it when you're the only DD in the game is something else.

Yeah. If you're the ship with the smallest concealment in the match, use it. Go fo the caps. That includes the Kebab and other small cruisers. Though other cruisers have citadels, so they can be quite vulnerable if something comes too close.

Players
186 posts
10,586 battles
20 hours ago, pzkpfwv1d said:

You must be pretty reckless and offensive in that ship to be effective,it means

1.Go in cap,force to smoke ohter dd,then go in his smoke,kill him and spam whatever target.

Sometimes it ends with catastrophy,mostly you get out of it alive.You must remember,in tier 7

you are a killer of dds because of your speed and firepower.

• Bad 1

Players
1,428 posts
2 minutes ago, Wobly_1 said:

You must be pretty reckless and offensive in that ship to be effective,it means

1.Go in cap,force to smoke ohter dd,then go in his smoke,kill him and spam whatever target.

Sometimes it ends with catastrophy,mostly you get out of it alive.You must remember,in tier 7

you are a killer of dds because of your speed and firepower.

That is a pretty bad strategy if you ask me. :Smile_amazed: use you ships speed, agility and gunpower to play some classic russian gunboating at max distance. Easy as that.

• Cool 1

Players
186 posts
10,586 battles
6 minutes ago, GarrusBrutus said:

That is a pretty bad strategy if you ask me. :Smile_amazed: use you ships speed, agility and gunpower to play some classic russian gunboating at max distance. Easy as that.

As a russian gunboat I get as close and personal as I can lol and it works

[CATS]
Players
20,522 posts
12,567 battles

How is that more advantagous to you when fighting US DD compared to fighting them at longer range?

[TS1]
Players
590 posts
7,618 battles
18 minutes ago, Wobly_1 said:

As a russian gunboat I get as close and personal as I can lol and it works

With the flatter arcs I tend to prefer longer distances when fighting other DDs in RU ones. The exception being the Kebab, which has enough firepower, health, armour and heal to gun down any other DD at any range. And even then my preferred distance vs DDs with high arcs depends on how fast I think I need to kill that DD.

[DSPA]
Beta Tester
280 posts

minsk's torps are designed for dd  vs dd close combat having a speed that can surprise many dd captains (especially the us that want to get close and personal) and not for bb use (excluding some rare occasions when the bb captain is a dud)

long rage dd vs dd combat is pretty much useless. I can dance easily between your shots.

[TS1]
Players
590 posts
7,618 battles
Just now, clocky said:

minsk's torps are designed for dd close combat having a speed that can surprise many dd captains and not for bb use (excluding some rare occasions)

That's true. And one of the very few advantages with having short range torps that never see use is that they're virtually always ready when you actually need them. Still, hitting other DDs with torps without taking torps yourself can be tricky if the opponent is at least as good as yourself. And again, the only DD that has torpedoes that can hit other DDs without giving them a lot of reaction time is the Kebab. Not sure about Shima's F3s though since I don't have the ship and I'm too lazy to look up the stats.

Players
186 posts
10,586 battles
10 minutes ago, Runegrem said:

With the flatter arcs I tend to prefer longer distances when fighting other DDs in RU ones. The exception being the Kebab, which has enough firepower, health, armour and heal to gun down any other DD at any range. And even then my preferred distance vs DDs with high arcs depends on how fast I think I need to kill that DD

I can only tell what worked for me and it means in Minsk as op needed advice ,I played exactly

like I said.

Players
186 posts
10,586 battles
21 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

How is that more advantagous to you when fighting US DD compared to fighting them at longer range?

In Minsk Mahan is irrelevant,lets put it that way

[CATS]
Players
20,522 posts
12,567 battles

That is not a good argument. Your argument is basicly your own performance in the ship, which can be looked up and it does not look good.

Sign in to follow this