Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
thiextar

Sims build for general effectiveness and damage

14 comments in this topic

[-AP-]
Players
725 posts
2,853 battles

so i just got a sims in an american box, and have no clue about its playstyle nor recommended build, only thing i know is its got good guns and decent aa?

Id love some build recommendations as well as recommendations for playstyle in random battles.

Thanks in advance.

Players
4,039 posts
7,546 battles
3 minutes ago, thiextar said:

so i just got a sims in an american box, and have no clue about its playstyle nor recommended build, only thing i know is its got good guns and decent aa?

Id love some build recommendations as well as recommendations for playstyle in random battles.

Thanks in advance.

I use my USN DD captain, be it from Benson, Fletcher or Gearing - they all work just fine with the same build of Priority Target, Last Stand, Survivability Expert, Concealment Expert, Torpedo Armament Expertise, Basic Firing Training and Supernintendo to top it off. You can change SI for Adrenaline and last point into Preventative Maintenance I guess?

Playstyle wise, you contest caps - rapid turning guns and high rof help you there, but as they are infamous Dual Purpose Mortars, they are less than suitable for long range shelling. Torps are more of lol value on Sims thanks to their glacially slow speed and hilarous lack of damage, they reload fast nonetheless. You lay smoke for team and troll CV with Defensive Fire AA

• Cool 2

[NWP]
Players
888 posts
8,173 battles

I would go Prev. Maintainence, Last Stand, Survivability expert, Concealment Expert for the first 10 points

RPF, Sup. Indendent,Adr. Rush. if u have a 19 pointer.

Standar american DD play, I consider it a better Mahan. Good duration of smokes, you have a choice of torpedoes , the long range but slow ones and the shorter range but faster.

Grind for sure the US DD line if u havent already.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
7,577 posts
9,791 battles

First of all, Sims is quirky.

It only got 4 guns, but they have a slightly better reload than their equal tier counterpart so the one gun less (if we assume silver ships go with the usual B hull which means 5 guns) isn't that much of a dip in dpm. It also retains pretty damn good firing angles.

AA is solid, think C hull US DDs. The ruddershift is AMAZEBALLS!

Now, the downsides: her torpedoes are anemic. Both sets of torps have below average torpedo alpha. The longrange ones have downright pitiful damage ... to put it into perspective you might even hit a DD in smoke with two of those torps and not kill it. The longrange ones are also slow as hell, but at the very least they allow you to stealthtorp for what it's worth (don't expect to hit much and expect even less damage though).

The short range torpedoes don't allow you to stealthtorp (only 5,5km range), but they do a bit more damage (still not good, but better) and they're MUCH faster. Combined with the forced proximity at which you will have to launch them, you can expect a lot more hits and thus more damage from those, but you're essentially limited to ambushes around islands or if someone gets too close to your smoke, otherwise those torps are largely useless.

I typically recommend using DFAA on it instead of speedboost, mostly because you already gave up a turret for the better AA anyway so might aswell use it for the gimmick. Against equal tier CVs or lower you're actually quite an unpleasant AA surprise with DFAA on.

Captain specs are fairly synergetic with normal US DDs. You can go for a standard hybrid build, brawler build or if you really, really don't like CVs go full troll AA.

It's mostly a gameplay decision with which torps you wish to play that makes the biggest difference in how to play it. If you like the ambush playstyle of lower tier US DDs like Farragut, you'll have fun in the Sims. If you prefer a more hybrid approach you can do that with the longrange torps, but you ain't going to impress anyone with your torps.

• Cool 3

Players
1,459 posts
15,148 battles

I have BFT + AFT for the AA buff, there is a lot of carriers on this tier. It also buffs the guns, torpedo skills are a waste imo. Plane kills give you decent XP which is even better with the base XP bonus this ship gets.

There is a lot of viable builds for this ship, it depends on your play style. A well-balanced fun to play premium ship and you got it for free, good for you! :cap_win:

Players
269 posts
12,518 battles

I use either my Fletcher/Gearing captain: PM, LS, SE, CE, RL, TAE, AR (though might want BFT for sims rather than TAE)

Or for more AA spec, my Clemson/Kidd captain: PT, LS, BFT, CE, AFT, SI, AR

[-AP-]
Players
725 posts
2,853 battles

Thanks for all the tips and recommendation guys!

bft + aft seems like a decent idea as it buffs both the guns and the aa, only question is: with the shell arcs, would aft help the guns at all? or would i not be able to use the range anyways?

I was also wondering about ifhe and or demo expert, what are your opinions of these skills on the sims?

Based on your recommendations, i think i know aprox how i want to build it, only thing im missing is the viability of aft, ifhe and demo expert.

Players
269 posts
12,518 battles

AFT only good for the AA (that's why I use in the Kidd). Sims has good range anyhow, any more and you'll struggle to hit. I'd only go AFT if you div with a CV. DE is only a small buff, I'd put the skills elsewhere and run both fire signals for a 1% boost.

If I was building a captain purely for Sims I'd probably go: PM, LS, SE, CE, BFT, RL, AR. Possibly drop RL for SI and PT. Depends on your playstyle but I like the info from RL.

Players
4,039 posts
7,546 battles
21 minutes ago, thiextar said:

bft + aft seems like a decent idea as it buffs both the guns and the aa, only question is: with the shell arcs, would aft help the guns at all? or would i not be able to use the range anyways?

I was also wondering about ifhe and or demo expert, what are your opinions of these skills on the sims?

Based on your recommendations, i think i know aprox how i want to build it, only thing im missing is the viability of aft, ifhe and demo expert.

That's shell flight time with AFT. Now imagine shooting at something actively evading. Best described would be "exercise in futility". I find AA range upgrade alone to be enough for "fleet protection", as you won't be knocking many planes anyway.

shot-18.06.20_23.09.57-0468.jpg

IFHE increases HE pen up to and including 27mm, so you can damage hightier cruisers and midtier BBs. Demo works, improves meh fire chance, but your main target are DDs, burning battleboats might bring nice damage numbers... which have little to no actual game impact. Even mythical Khaba needs half the battle to burn somewhat competent battleship, with higher fire chance and volume of fire

• Cool 2

[NWP]
Players
888 posts
8,173 battles
6 hours ago, thiextar said:

IFHE is a rather expensive skill, for me the rewards are not worth it. (in the Sims at least)

Demo expert is a viable choice,yes.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,332 posts
7,649 battles
11 hours ago, thiextar said:

Also if they ever do Tier VII Ranked again you got yourself a fine boat to troll with. (crazy xp modifier) :cap_haloween:

Players
2,417 posts
15,503 battles

Here's 3 Five star US DD builds. :cap_cool:

Ranked (All)

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/0100000000000011010000000000001119

Most competitive but a bit boring. 3 points left for personal preference. (TA+PT for Gearing etc)

Flood and fire. (Mahan to Gearing)

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/1100000000000011011000100000000119

Classic 'annoying US DD' build and most fun for random battles (esp Mahan B hull)

Forget hunting DDs and just spam those 9km torps (sub 60s reload with AR) and guns on larger ships from distance.

AA support (Fletcher, Gearing)

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/0100000000000011010010000000010119

Wouldn't recommend any AA build these days but this one works best in random battles.

AFT is often worthless unless you always run with a CV div mate. Your usually the one spotting planes at 5-6km, you've got no mid range AA to buff (always gets knocked out anyway) and don't need more gun range.

mAA is absolutely essential as your one of the few T7 ships that can counter/deplane Saipan.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
3,096 posts
8,839 battles

Hi all,

5 hours ago, creamgravy said:

Flood and fire. (Mahan to Gearing)

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/1100000000000011011000100000000119

Classic 'annoying US DD' build and most fun for random battles (esp Mahan B hull)

Forget hunting DDs and just spam those 9km torps (sub 60s reload with AR) and guns on larger ships from distance.

This is my "Classic" USN DD captain... he started from "Farragut" and is now on the threshold of "Fletcher"... :Smile_honoring:

Leo "Apollo11"

Sign in to follow this