Server Maintenance - January 18, 6:00 CET (5:00 UTC) Read more... ×
Server Maintenance - January 18, 6:00 CET (5:00 UTC) Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Up_The_Donald

Having a Plan in Random

35 comments in this topic

[PN4VY]
Players
113 posts
6,521 battles

Call me old fashioned but I like a plan.  Having a plan is nice, it's like a reassuring arm around the shoulder.   A warm embrace from an old friend.  Just like me and Yammy Pammy (see other posts).  My old dad used to say "Fail to plan and plan to fail".  He also said a lot of other things...mostly about my mother.  Jeez that man could swear but anyway....where was I?  Oh yes - having a plan.

I like to start most Random battles with a plan.  I'm happy to follow the plans of others if they offer one first - the usual A/B/C/D cap combination etc.  If no one else jumps in then I usually ask the question "What's the plan?" or just "Plan?" if I'm feeling particularly pithy. 

Anyway, the thing that really makes my day is when someone replies with any of the following (individually or in combination):

1.  Don't die.

2.  Kill 'em all.

3.  Cap.

4.  Get 1000 points first. 

5.  Donald note - I can't remember number 5 right now so I will move on to number 6.

6.  Shoot first. 

7.  Win.

8.  Don't lose (actually thought this was the same as 7 but it's a different thing for some people apparently).

These bon-motes make my day.  Without them I would be bereft of any light and humour and hope in my life.  They lift my heart from the gutter of grinding Admiral Halsey and refresh my belief if humanity in all its glory.  At the end of the day it's just so funny.  Really funny.  The funniest thing ever.  That's a fact. 

UpTheDonald.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 6

Beta Tester
622 posts
10,905 battles

'Shoot red things!'

8 is probably a veteran player who still remembers when you could get a draw in this game.

Too many times when a player calls out 'B&C' I have to point out that our DD's are opposite A&B and that we should support them, only to watch him sail off to C anyway. With any luck it's only him who dies there alone, but all too often he lives 'cus half the team has followed him and it's our DD's who die instead.

[RAIN]
Players
104 posts
9,376 battles

Are we going to make this a list of weird aswers to the question: plan? 

If so, I want to add: RUSH B!

Let's see how the the list can get ;)

Players
765 posts
12,173 battles
44 minutes ago, Up_The_Donald said:

7.  Win.

8.  Don't lose (actually thought this was the same as 7 but it's a different thing for some people apparently).

Nope, they're not the same: although extremely rare nowadays (IIRC, I've only had 3 of them in all my battles to date), draws also happen.

With the exception of a couple of maps where I suggest some general approach, I tend to just communicate my initial moves and let people adjust, in particular when playing DDs, CVs or radar RN CLs. I also like plans and adapt to them if they seem sensible, yet keeping self-initiative and flexibility. "Solvitur ambulando" and all that.

Oh, and at least you ask for a plan, others use capital letters so I jokingly interpret it as asking for the Chinese Navy (its official name is People's Liberation Army Navy).

Salute.

Players
161 posts
5,853 battles

A: I'm going to try to hit something before their CV decides to delete me

A: BB's please secure J1 (or whatever the corner is that will put them furthest from any combat)

Players
401 posts
4,767 battles

Something occured to me:

How about an option to draw in the minimap a proposed route instead of calling out a square? There is already a mod that enables tracing routes, although I am still not sure what it does exactly as It's purely client based. Would be nice to know the planned route of a friendly ship instead of the usual lemming tangos...

• Cool 2

[L4GG]
Players
1,530 posts
6,198 battles
6 hours ago, Up_The_Donald said:

Call me old fashioned but I like a plan.  Having a plan is nice, it's like a reassuring arm around the shoulder.   A warm embrace from an old friend.  Just like me and Yammy Pammy (see other posts).  My old dad used to say "Fail to plan and plan to fail".  He also said a lot of other things...mostly about my mother.  Jeez that man could swear but anyway....where was I?  Oh yes - having a plan.

I like to start most Random battles with a plan.  I'm happy to follow the plans of others if they offer one first - the usual A/B/C/D cap combination etc.  If no one else jumps in then I usually ask the question "What's the plan?" or just "Plan?" if I'm feeling particularly pithy. 

Anyway, the thing that really makes my day is when someone replies with any of the following (individually or in combination):

1.  Don't die.

2.  Kill 'em all.

3.  Cap.

5.  Donald note - I can't remember number 5 right now so I will move on to number 6.

6.  Shoot first. 

7.  Win.

These bon-motes make my day.  Without them I would be bereft of any light and humour and hope in my life.  They lift my heart from the gutter of grinding Admiral Halsey and refresh my belief if humanity in all its glory.  At the end of the day it's just so funny.  Really funny.  The funniest thing ever.  That's a fact. 

UpTheDonald.

what about...

Bow in and tank.

Apparently that's too hard to follow.

What your dad said, don't apply here, because...no plan survive after the first contact with the enemy.

[POP]
Players
313 posts
7,657 battles
11 hours ago, Up_The_Donald said:

I usually ask the question "What's the plan?" or just "Plan?"

Don't. You just essentially outsource a critical decision to a potato who might suggest something stupid like "AC" or "AB at Okinawa" or something similarly stupid.

Be the proactive guy and increase your team's winning percentage by stating the way to go before someone snatches the "most stupid plan of the week" -award right in front of them.

• Funny 2

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
1,113 posts
18,119 battles
11 hours ago, Up_The_Donald said:

...]"What's the plan?" or just "Plan?"[...]

#lemmingslose :Smile_trollface:

Players
258 posts
12,285 battles
5 hours ago, Kartoffelmos said:

"If you have a cap advantage, rush into crossfires like a madman!"

I think half the players on the server have this tattoo'd on the back of their left hand. That, or it says, "when in a winning position, press W"

[T_D_G]
Players
380 posts
8,273 battles
12 hours ago, Up_The_Donald said:

1.  Don't die.

2.  Kill 'em all.

3.  Cap.

6.  Shoot first. 

7.  Win.

UpTheDonald.

I had a good laugh with your writing skills.

Im one of those that always starts with a plan and sometimes ask others to follow it, which is rare to happen.

I happen to be a strategic guy Wows wise.

If you want to add me ingame and hsve some fun planning strategies, there you go ^^.

Btw, another thing you usually read is: -- -- dont show broadside.

- stop camping you a**hole

- please dont use HE if you're not playing an UK BB... :D 

• Cool 1

[LOBUZ]
Players
4,327 posts
16,628 battles

My usual response is: we go in do dem kaboom and win EZ. The kaboom part always works but usually some noobs on your team want to test this feature on themselves in the first three minutes.

Beta Tester
1,843 posts
2,580 battles

As the late Helmut Von Moltke said: No plan ever survives first contact with the enemy.

[SCRUB]
Players
7,290 posts
9,510 battles
7 hours ago, EgyptOverseer said:

Something occured to me:

How about an option to draw in the minimap a proposed route instead of calling out a square? There is already a mod that enables tracing routes, although I am still not sure what it does exactly as It's purely client based. Would be nice to know the planned route of a friendly ship instead of the usual lemming tangos...

Problem with a "plan" of any nature is that no plan survives first contact with the enemy.

You plan for the team to go along a specific path and it turns out the entire enemy team goes someplace else, what happens? The smart people on the team naturally turn around because the plan is invalid ... and the potatoes keep sailing because "da plan bruh".

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,843 posts
2,580 battles
4 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

Problem with a "plan" of any nature is that no plan survives first contact with the enemy.

You plan for the team to go along a specific path and it turns out the entire enemy team goes someplace else, what happens? The smart people on the team naturally turn around because the plan is invalid ... and the potatoes keep sailing because "da plan bruh".

You forget that one guy that will always go off on his own just because he thinks he's the best player ever (that, or he's suiciding)

• Cool 1

[COSTS]
Players
31 posts
5,866 battles

14 hours ago, Up_The_Donald said:

...snip...

1.  Don't die.

2.  Kill 'em all.

3.  Cap.

6.  Shoot first. 

7.  Win.

UpTheDonald.

Agree. Plus a few additions:

9. We go left, right ? :Smile_amazed: (omitting the comma adds more "fun"...)

10. Clicking on all possible coordinates on minimap without elaborating exactly what the f*ck they have in mind (if anything - which is often the case).

11. Announcing "this is a loss" right after battle starts (because just looking at the teams tells them in advance what the outcome will be).

12. Constantly b*tch-slapping all F-keys on the keyboard - sometimes spiced up with #10 above.

• Cool 1

Players
944 posts
5,305 battles
14 hours ago, ajb13 said:

Too many times when a player calls out 'B&C' I have to point out that our DD's are opposite A&B and that we should support them, only to watch him sail off to C anyway. With any luck it's only him who dies there alone, but all too often he lives 'cus half the team has followed him and it's our DD's who die instead.

It actually is amazing how often this happens, bonus points if they form a blob behind the same island.

2 hours ago, Andy_the_Cupid_Stunt said:

I think half the players on the server have this tattoo'd on the back of their left hand. That, or it says, "when in a winning position, press W"

Being in  winning position is the signal for rushing in to save their average damage, blame stats for this kind of behavior.

By the way quality humor post OP. The usual troll posts on these forums are boring as hell.

Players
1,537 posts
6,446 battles
8 hours ago, Kartoffelmos said:

"If you have a cap advantage, rush into crossfires like a madman!"

:cap_book:

If I had a quid every time that happened :cap_haloween:

It's a communication's victory if people actually go to the nominated Caps at the beginning.  But alas, even that small scrape of tactics is normally thrown straight out of the window. 

[TIPC]
Players
345 posts
16,140 battles
3 hours ago, Altsak said:

Don't. You just essentially outsource a critical decision to a potato who might suggest something stupid like "AC" or "AB at Okinawa" or something similarly stupid.

Be the proactive guy and increase your team's winning percentage by stating the way to go before someone snatches the "most stupid plan of the week" -award right in front of them.

ajb13 here is yout guy

Edited by cpt_sparrow_jack

Beta Tester
622 posts
10,905 battles
1 hour ago, lafeel said:

You forget that one guy that will always go off on his own just because he thinks he's the best player ever (that, or he's suiciding)

Nah, he's just a real man, and real men only play with themselves :Smile_hiding: