Yaskaraxx

Moskva (X) - fore + aft armor 50mm (!)

127 comments in this topic

[N3XUS]
Players
993 posts
23,834 battles

Armor of the Moskva (X) will be buffed in next patch (7.6): fore and aft getting also the 50 mm armor! To me it seems this will make the Moskva a worthy and competative tier X cruiser. Made me decide to play it again because the ships gets more endurance and stamina against the very dangerous heavy weight battleships it faces hightiers.

Strangely I noticed there are not yet any threads about this significant buff/change. I myself never were real great with Moskva (kind of average), so, I leave the commenting to the more experienced experts on this subject. What can we expect re change tactics/strategy for the new Moskva?:cap_cool:

• Bad 1

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
11,568 posts
16,702 battles

Quite frankly I don't see why the buff is needed in the first place. Moskva is a perfectly fine ship.

• Cool 4

[N3XUS]
Players
993 posts
23,834 battles
18 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Quite frankly I don't see why the buff is needed in the first place. Moskva is a perfectly fine ship.

I realy have to disagree on that comment: due to extreme high detectability Moskva takes immense fire-damage almost all the time during battle; so many ships torching and spam-fire it, such a big visible ship they cant miss it. But fire-damage (can be partly healed!) even was never the biggest problem with the ship; the citadelling through the25mm bow, THAT I experienced as the main problem (...and you can not realy heal citadel-hits). Moskva is most of the time a stationary well angled shooter. Redirecting it (=turning away) will expose yr big citadel, so you needed either smoke or a nearby island for it to make a turn. Besides that, battleships could easily rush towards the Moskva because of that 25mm bow-armor doing even the citadels through the bow, easily.

But now we get the 50mm bow and aft armor, so Moskva gets realy more stamina/endurance: battleships cant any longer citadel through that 50mm bow-armor (bounces the Battleship shells). So, no doubt, this will have a significant impact on available tactics/strategies for Moskva at hightiers at hand as from patch 7.6

(Again, I am just an average player, so now I leave it up to the real experts to constructively comment on the Moskva buff; realy curious what their opinion is)

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
11,568 posts
16,702 battles
14 minutes ago, Yaskaraxx said:

Moskva is most of the time a stationary well angled shooter.

I use my Moskva as a roaming cruiser and she works just fine. To use her as a bow on camper is a hilarious mistake in my eyes.

• Cool 2

[N3XUS]
Players
993 posts
23,834 battles
30 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

I use my Moskva as a roaming cruiser and she works just fine. To use her as a bow on camper is a hilarious mistake in my eyes.

Come on, next yr gonna tell me that Moskva is an excellent ship for capping at early stage of battle and that Des Moines is supposed to be a "roaming-ship"???? lollol..maybe yr confused here: we are talking about Moskva....NOT DM Donskoi (re roaming with 25mm + 2x ruddershift upgrades).

Moskva is not stationary as from beginning of the battle (depends on developing circumstances during battle) and when one faces very weak opponent, yes, then you can roam around  far more. But in by far most battles at some point of time Moskva is forced to get angled and get stationary bow-on (otherwise, the battleships destroy it with great ease with citadels) and at that time you get to depend on yr  (buffed) 50mm bow armor which makes it all a bit more tough for battleships to take yr Moskva down. And there is nothing wrong with getting stationary + angled defending an area against enemy ships: you keep busy several enemy ships and you prove to be a tough nut to crack, so to say, benefits yr team significantly.

• Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
11,568 posts
16,702 battles
7 minutes ago, Yaskaraxx said:

we are talking about Moskva

Indeed we are.

And I wasn't aware you need to stay still to angle or to draw fire.

• Cool 2

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
1,712 posts
6,813 battles
27 minutes ago, Ostria74 said:

Omg more WG russian favoritism...

Considering the Moskva is not really sticking out that much in overall statistics, it's kind of a "meh" ship in my eyes. Yes it has lol tier 8 BB HP, yes it has a 50 mm deck, yes it has a very long range radar. I am fully aware of the capabilities of the ship, I just don't find it that special in the focus order as some other tier 10 cruisers. Des Moines is a much more terrifying radar threat and it can abuse terrain much better so dislodging it is trickier. HIV has a higher damage potential and is sonic fast at long range so hitting it can be annoying. Zao is a sneaky flamethrower. Minotaur is extremely sneaky and has scary DPM if it catches you. And the Hindenburg just derps around doing whatever it wants.

The 50 mm bow plating is going to make it a very insane bow tanker, but you still have to deal with high detectibility, low manuverability, not that good DPM and due to the vulnerable citadel and the radar threat it poses you will not be able to get close that much anyways. I still have respect for the Moskva and don't deny it as a threat, but if it were not for that radar I would focus any other cruiser instead.

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,747 posts
7,213 battles
1 hour ago, El2aZeR said:

Pretty much this.

The buff was unneeded. Moskva was a perfectly fine ship as long as you knew what you were doing with it. Sure, it's a hard ship, and doesn't allows mistakes. That buff will makes it faceroll to play, just like Hindenburg. Dumbing down the gameplay isn't exactly what I fancy the most...

Moskva is a fast ship with awesome gun. It's supposed to be played at long range, taking advantage of its speed to go where it should and support its team, and when the enemy team have cleared a bit, it starts playing agressively and push, using its radar and HP.

Bow-tanking with Moskva is incredibly silly. The ship was never designed to do that. It have quite a big armor belt, and baiting into it can soak shells from even very large calibers.

• Cool 2

[N3XUS]
Players
993 posts
23,834 battles
27 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Indeed we are.

And I wasn't aware you need to stay still to angle or to draw fire.

lol, thats NOT what i said or stated, lol. I said high tiers ya face many realy dangerous battleships with very good skilled/ tricky/smart players..and those guys at some point in time during battle fcaus gonna focus on yr Moskva and they gonna "pin-it-down" forcing it to angle and getting stationary bow-on (otherwise those good players just blast yr Moskva out of the water with citadels, very fast).

(besides that, ohh, I soooooo much would like to face you in enemy team: you with Moskva and me bringing my Alabama!!..I can only wish/hope for that to happen; ...would be so much fun for me!!..well, guess one can only wish/hope...sighhhhhhhhh, lol)

• Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
11,568 posts
16,702 battles
2 hours ago, Yaskaraxx said:

I said high tiers ya face many realy dangerous battleships with very good skilled/ tricky/smart players

Lol no, average players are braindead across all tiers but high tier BBs are a special case in themselves. The chance of meeting a decent high tier BB player is even lower than meeting a decent CV player in my experience.

I fail to see how you can get pinned when you stay mobile all the time in one of the faster cruisers in this game unless you're completely surrounded, at which point you'd be :etc_swear:ed either way. Moskva easily survives even concentrated BB fire when played at mid-long range where she belongs.

Unless ofc you give them an easy target by staying still.

2 hours ago, Yaskaraxx said:

would be so much fun for me!!

Considering both your general performance and your performance in the Alabama I believe this statement to be doubtful at best.

• Cool 1

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,842 posts
4,770 battles

Isn't this buff just so she can do something Stalingrad can't? To make Stalingrad look less OP since it had the 50mm plating removed?

Just on playstyle, it's refreshing to hear Moskva is a mid-range roaming ship. I paused my grind to it because I didn't want a boring bow tanker but now I'm interested again. Having said that, in CW Moskva seems to be a very static and campy ship. I guess this buff will affect CW more than randoms?

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Players
1,276 posts
17,514 battles

i like it, i.e could be a counter to stalingrad

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

Players
2,844 posts
8,281 battles
11 hours ago, ShinGetsu said:

The buff was unneeded. Moskva was a perfectly fine ship as long as you knew what you were doing with it. Sure, it's a hard ship, and doesn't allows mistakes. That buff will makes it faceroll to play, just like Hindenburg. Dumbing down the gameplay isn't exactly what I fancy the most...

Moskva is a fast ship with awesome gun. It's supposed to be played at long range, taking advantage of its speed to go where it should and support its team, and when the enemy team have cleared a bit, it starts playing agressively and push, using its radar and HP.

Bow-tanking with Moskva is incredibly silly. The ship was never designed to do that. It have quite a big armor belt, and baiting into it can soak shells from even very large calibers.

Pretty much this ^^

Makes it even more of a camping fire support in Clan wars.

Even though i don't own one at the moment, I don't hear any complaints about it :Smile_amazed: What i would give for those laser shells at times.  

Russian Players kicking up a fuss I bet.  Buff when none is needed, nice one.

[UTW]
8,747 posts
7,213 battles
29 minutes ago, VC381 said:

Just on playstyle, it's refreshing to hear Moskva is a mid-range roaming ship. I paused my grind to it because I didn't want a boring bow tanker but now I'm interested again. Having said that, in CW Moskva seems to be a very static and campy ship. I guess this buff will affect CW more than randoms?

It plays very much like Donskoi actually. Except it's not as squishy (actually tanks very well if you are good at baiting shots, I completely outplayed a GK at close range 3 days ago) but pay it with the concealment.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[N3XUS]
Players
993 posts
23,834 battles

Anyway, I figure "very rich hunting grounds" await for Moskva (full 50mm armor!) in near future, I mean, WoWS-Food-Chain is kind of:

Mighty Moskva (deadly range-sniper) hunting ----->Des Moines + Clevelands + Seattles + Worcester + Buffalo + Baltimore, which hunt---------> destroyers

Kind of: Moskva will prove to be the savier (knight on the white horse) protecting the many destroyers (..and they will need that)!

So yes, I just purchased the Mighty Moskva (X) again and am eagerly looking forward to next buff patch 7.6:cap_look:---->:cap_cool:--->:cap_rambo:..Gotcha!!!..1x sneaky hiding/luring Des Moins sunk!

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
1,712 posts
6,813 battles

What will be fun is battleship Moskva vs battleship Hindenburg when it gets its legendary module. Even with a 1 sec reload nerf it still has 12 guns with nice RoF and 1/4 HE pen. So I predict a ton of Hindens when the Moskva buff goes through.

Players
112 posts

I don't see the problem.

Bow tanking at range Moskva can already tank insane amounts of AP shells. But closer to the enemy - apart from being burned down - Moskva starts eating AP through the bow. 

How is it a bad thing, that the heaviest cruiser in the game can go a bit closer to the enemy?

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[N3XUS]
Players
993 posts
23,834 battles
5 hours ago, Titan_net said:

I don't see the problem.

Bow tanking at range Moskva can already tank insane amounts of AP shells. But closer to the enemy - apart from being burned down - Moskva starts eating AP through the bow. 

How is it a bad thing, that the heaviest cruiser in the game can go a bit closer to the enemy?

Exactly, yes, with full 50mm armor one can get closer with Moskva (more endurance/stamina). Allways found it a bit strange Moskva having the fore + aft 25mm armor and those parts are easy to hit since Moskva being a real big ship; this actually made the Moskva some 25mm ship at tier 10?? So, this buff was needed + very logical imo in view of the armor the other T10 heavy cruisers have (they already could bounce shells when bow-angled). As from patch 7.6 Moskva (X) can be regarded as a real upgrade compared to DM Donskoi (IX), makes it now realy worth grinding for.

(..... as the saying goes: "A chain is only as strong as its weakest link")

• Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[UTW]
8,747 posts
7,213 battles
6 hours ago, Titan_net said:

I don't see the problem.

Because bow-on is a stupid tactic, and at close range you are supposed to angle and bait shot into your main belt. I just did it with my Moskva today. GK at 8km, he bounced everything because I know how to angle in order to minimize both damage and risks.

Bow-on is simply dumb. There are much better way to influence a match, and buffing the ship so it actually becomes able to bow tank is even dumber.

Learn the ship, don't ask for buff if you don't.

Moskva was and is fine. It's only a matter of getting gud. And that's certainly not a guy that average 30k in his Alabama and 50k in his Moskva that will convinces me otherwise.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Players
112 posts
7 hours ago, ShinGetsu said:

[.. anecdotal evidence..]

Bow-on is simply dumb. There are much better way to influence a match, and buffing the ship so it actually becomes able to bow tank is even dumber.

If bow tanking is dumb and not influencing matches why is it so bad to buff it? Nothing really changes except that Moskva will survive a bit longer in certain situations and Moskva owners will envy Stalingrad owners a bit less.

7 hours ago, ShinGetsu said:

Moskva was and is fine. It's only a matter of getting gud.

Totally fine.. that's why Moskva is the least played TX cruiser on the EU server (apart from Henry).

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[UTW]
8,747 posts
7,213 battles
1 hour ago, Titan_net said:

Totally fine.. that's why Moskva is the least played TX cruiser on the EU server (apart from Henry).

It's a hard ship to do well in. The kind of "hard, but fair". It has tremendous potential in good hands. And that is perfectly fine.

1 hour ago, Titan_net said:

If bow tanking is dumb and not influencing matches why is it so bad to buff it? Nothing really changes except that Moskva will survive a bit longer in certain situations and Moskva owners will envy Stalingrad owners a bit less.

Stalingrad, lol.

Current Stalingrad only has its gun as its saving grace. It got nerfed quite a lot since its first, utterly OP version.

And buffing Moskva is bad because it doesn't need it. What's wrong with having a bit of a challenge ? What's wrong with having ships harder than others ? This buff will makes Moskva able to completely NOPE any BB at close range by playing with a braindead bow-on rush. While doing the same previously forced you to play smart with your angling and basically asked you to outplay your opponent.

Moskva is fast, but not agile. It has very good DPM, one of the best (if not THE BEST) weaponry by combining the best balistic ingame, excellent accuracy, very good AP penetration (citadelled a Richelieu from 16km yesterday, and the 15-17k salvoes at this range on broadside BBs is anything but a rarity,), good fire chance and very decent DPM. It has horrible concealment, but gun range, the balistic to use it, and both 50mm deck armor and a 130mm belt that can tank very high caliber shells with proper angling. It even has a radar which, combined with the balistic, allows to nail DDs at long range quite easily in the later half of the game.

Where do you see the need to buff Moskva in this ? It's quite a well balanced ship. The new Legendary module will makes it even better with the accuracy and range buff combined, though that means sacrificing DPM.

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

[-T-O-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,185 posts
6,367 battles

This ship doesn't need a buff but WG will be WG.

• Bad 1

[N3XUS]
Players
993 posts
23,834 battles
3 hours ago, ShinGetsu said:

Moskva is fast

Yeah, come to think of it: DUCKS are also fast!!!!...so yeah, yr right on there. And Molotow being given Moskva gunzzzzz would be very fine ship at tier 10, since its "Agile", lol (..just ...GID GUD, as you say it, lol).

• Bad 2