Server Maintenance - January 18, 6:00 CET (5:00 UTC) Read more... ×
Server Maintenance - January 18, 6:00 CET (5:00 UTC) Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
UANick

Mikasa is lackluster!

34 comments in this topic

[SPQR_]
Players
2 posts
5,425 battles

Hello WG,

I have recently bought Mikasa, your premium ship, because I wanted to play with older pre-dreadnought ships, but what a disappointment it is! This ship is deliberately(?) made to be inferior in all aspects except secondary guns which have so small range that they are seldom used, before you are torpedoed or gang-destroyed.

This ship was very powerful for its era and you have to make it better not only for realism reasons but because you ask money for it! I don't want to play with this ship anymore because it ruins my statistics and is not fun at all. I don't understand why when I hit something after skillfully aiming, I do so little damage, while cruisers and destroyers dance around and shoot like maniacs and inflict more damage per hit. Why when I hit a cruiser or destroyer right to the heart of their middle and from the side I do only 750 damage ? The problem is intensified with no damage at all(!!!) when matchmaking often puts me to play versus dreadnought battleships which I cannot harm at all with armour piercing shells and only hope to ignite some fire. 

This ship is very slow, very difficult to aim her guns and even the most skillful captain feels very disappointed playing her because she feels penaltized versus all other ships.

Mikasa is a premium ship, a historical ship which you sell. I think there is some kind of bug or inconsistency you have to fix. I propose the following improvements.

- Increase the main gun penetration and overall damage about +10-15%. 
- Increase secondary guns +1 km.

These two simple things can make this ship very enjoying to play, and much more profitable for you and any player that wishes to buy it for having fun and earning some xp and credits.

My 2 cents,

Nick

• Cool 4
  • Funny 2

[BYOB]
Players
3,060 posts
11,002 battles

What this ship needs is just access to Aiming System Mod. 0.

But don't expect WG to do anything. They think the ship is fine.

• Cool 3

[ONE2]
Players
2,389 posts
14,348 battles

One trick you can use with Mikasa... Use HE instead of AP for main guns against most ships so you will not get over-penetrations. Will kill most DD instantly. Also many of the Cruisers actually take more damage that way. You will need to make sure you have at least a 10 point captain and take both the basic and advanced firing training skills to maximize secondary range and effect, also mount the " Mike Yankee Soxisix " signal flag, if you got them for a bit more buff to those secondaries. :Smile_Default:

But yeah, you are totally right, Mikasa does need some love...:cap_old:

Oh yeah, you are totally right @Aragathor

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
1,113 posts
18,126 battles
13 minutes ago, UANick said:

[...]

This ship was very powerful for its era and you have to make it better not only for realism reasons but because you ask money for it! ...]

lost me there at the latest, also...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3MVXQYq2BDS35_-aBxY0

kinda curious how @Boris_MNE feels on the matter :Smile_trollface::Smile_hiding:

[POI--]
Players
3,863 posts
5,006 battles
41 minutes ago, UANick said:

This ship was very powerful for its era and you have to make it better not only for realism reasons but because you ask money for it!

It's the best BB at its tier already!

• Cool 2
  • Funny 16

Beta Tester
1,838 posts
6,133 battles

Soo, despite WG saying there would be no predreds ingame apart from Mikasa, i do wish they would reconcider theyr decision and add one predred for each nation, that way Mika wont be the sole representative of it's class. 

:Smile_honoring:

(and it would work out verry nicely) 

• Cool 2

[SPQR_]
Players
2 posts
5,425 battles

I want to clarify that I am not asking to overpower a premium ship because we pay for it. I like that all premium ships have disadvantages and trade offs, making them unique and comfortable to play according to player style.
Mikasa is the sole battleship of Tier II and so it often (90% of time) plays at Tier III or higher making it simply unplayable vs other battleships.

This ship needs some more love, and it can be enjoying to play without overpowering it.

• Cool 3

Beta Tester
1,843 posts
2,580 battles
1 hour ago, MrWastee said:

kinda curious how @Boris_MNE feels on the matter :Smile_trollface::Smile_hiding:

To be entirely fair he's not wrong in the first part of that.

Then again some of her contemporaries were lucky to manage one shell every two-three minutes on a good day.:Smile-_tongue:

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
1,113 posts
18,126 battles
8 minutes ago, UANick said:

I want to clarify that I am not asking to overpower a premium ship because we pay for it. I like that all premium ships have disadvantages and trade offs, making them unique and comfortable to play according to player style.
Mikasa is the sole battleship of Tier II and so it often (90% of time) plays at Tier III or higher making it simply unplayable vs other battleships.

This ship needs some more love, and it can be enjoying to play without overpowering it.

good and reasonable post, for sure i do like more than the op. i don't own mikasa (sold it  :Smile_hiding:), but afaik it's kind of a true gimmick ship. can't really say more, as i think i like took her out once lol, but at least in this way ur request doesn't sounds like halfarsed nonsense :Smile_honoring:(--> money part; look beneath :Smile_veryhappy:...).

3 minutes ago, lafeel said:

To be entirely fair he's not wrong in the first part of that.

Then again some of her contemporaries were lucky to manage one shell every two-three minutes on a good day.:Smile-_tongue:

^ ;)... (as said, he lost me on the money equals quality part before :Smile_bajan2:)

• Funny 1

Beta Tester
1,843 posts
2,580 battles
3 minutes ago, MrWastee said:

good and reasonable post, for sure i do like more than the op. i don't own mikasa (sold it  :Smile_hiding:), but afaik it's kind of a true gimmick ship. can't really say more, as i think i like took her out once lol, but at least in this way ur request doesn't sounds like halfarsed nonsense :Smile_honoring:.

^ ;)... (as said, he lost me on the money equals quality part before :Smile_bajan2:)

Lol, yea. Also can you imagine trying to play ships like that? Lobbing two or four high caliber shells every other minute or so at the enemy? It'd be sheer torture.

Also, one could point out that her inherent inability to hit the broadside of a barn from the inside may have something to do with the fact that fire control was basically non existent back then. 

Sure you might have a centrally located range finder, if you were lucky, but the turret crews were still expected to do their laying, aiming, firing, and CORRECTING manually.

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,757 posts
10,656 battles
44 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

It's the best BB at its tier already!

She's the worst BB on her tier. She should be continuously buffed until that's no longer the case.

• Funny 1

[POI--]
Players
3,863 posts
5,006 battles
1 minute ago, eliastion said:

She's the worst BB on her tier. She should be continuously buffed until that's no longer the case.

But before you know it, you enter a slippery slope and end up buffing all the T2 BBs and suddenly you end up with some serious powercreep and proliferation of BB meta even at this tier!

• Funny 4

[WGP2W]
Players
1,418 posts
9,931 battles
3 hours ago, MrWastee said:

Mikasa OP mikasa Broken Mikasa life Mikasa forever.

OP is just poitato

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Modder
101 posts
5,528 battles

wows-numbers.com thinks that I'm doing well in Mikasa, so maybe you can find some value in how I play her:

Your secondary guns are the important weapons. You need to get into secondary range to deal any kind of meaningful damage. At the same time, you're very vulnerable, so to make sure that you're not sunk before ever getting into range, use islands as cover. Ideally, you'll play her almost like a destroyer, ambushing the enemy. Your ship is incredibly slow, so plan your route well. Your main battery can do some damage as well, just make sure to always shoot HE. Your AP shells at that tier usually either overpenetrate (that's "why do I only do 750 damage?" for you) or do not penetrate at all (on battleships).

To boost your secondary guns, use the signals that give a bonus to secondary dispersion and range (Mike Yankee Soxisix). I also use a manual secondary specced captain who's going to be a full secondary build one day. A survivability build is also a valid choice, but not as much fun.

The thing is, if your enemy knows what they're doing, they can outplay you and you can simply do nothing against it. But if you have a good game, it's glorious and you get 100 secondary hits and farm so many Close Quarter Experts that you'll never have to worry about supply running out for the signal. I just love this ship, it's a nice slow-paced relaxing playstyle that works well for beginning or ending a game session.

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
1,113 posts
18,126 battles
40 minutes ago, Boris_MNE said:

Mikasa OP mikasa Broken Mikasa life Mikasa forever.

OP is just poitato

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqCX56pbmoICdr6Tdtg_C

poi

ngh of the off, i'm off :Smile_hiding:

[SCRUB]
Players
7,294 posts
9,510 battles
4 hours ago, Aragathor said:

ASM.0 on Mikasa :Smile_trollface:

[SCRUB]
Beta Tester, In AlfaTesters
922 posts
11,250 battles

Mikasa always was the worst ship in the entire game, and still is. No love from WG :( What Mikasa needs is a secondary buff like Arkansas

Beta Tester
3,895 posts
13,808 battles
2 hours ago, TheKingOfUm said:

wows-numbers.com thinks that I'm doing well in Mikasa, so maybe you can find some value in how I play her:

Your secondary guns are the important weapons. You need to get into secondary range to deal any kind of meaningful damage. At the same time, you're very vulnerable, so to make sure that you're not sunk before ever getting into range, use islands as cover. Ideally, you'll play her almost like a destroyer, ambushing the enemy. Your ship is incredibly slow, so plan your route well. Your main battery can do some damage as well, just make sure to always shoot HE. Your AP shells at that tier usually either overpenetrate (that's "why do I only do 750 damage?" for you) or do not penetrate at all (on battleships).

To boost your secondary guns, use the signals that give a bonus to secondary dispersion and range (Mike Yankee Soxisix). I also use a manual secondary specced captain who's going to be a full secondary build one day. A survivability build is also a valid choice, but not as much fun.

The thing is, if your enemy knows what they're doing, they can outplay you and you can simply do nothing against it. But if you have a good game, it's glorious and you get 100 secondary hits and farm so many Close Quarter Experts that you'll never have to worry about supply running out for the signal. I just love this ship, it's a nice slow-paced relaxing playstyle that works well for beginning or ending a game session.

@UANick Listen to this man, OP... he does nearly as much damage in Mikasa as me and even has a better winrate!

And I don't really see any need to buff Mikasa... alas, any buff would of course be greatly appreaciated.

There's another ship that, compared to Mikasa, is really in dire need of a buff: please give the Crispy Creme a spotting plane!

Beta Tester
1,843 posts
2,580 battles
2 hours ago, Deckeru_Maiku said:

@UANick Listen to this man, OP... he does nearly as much damage in Mikasa as me and even has a better winrate!

And I don't really see any need to buff Mikasa... alas, any buff would of course be greatly appreaciated.

There's another ship that, compared to Mikasa, is really in dire need of a buff: please give the Crispy Creme a spotting plane!

Yea, good luck hitting stuff at that range with those guns mate..

[FDUSH]
Players
1,115 posts
6,571 battles

What I really hate of Mikasa it's it's so awful precision even at close range.

I wish to be able to use it's secondary cannons reliably.

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,343 posts
14,933 battles
9 hours ago, Aragathor said:

Will never happen.. I truly believe this is Russian bias at its best..

Mikasa the flag ship of the fleet that gave the Russian navy the biggest beating it ever had. In fact probably just about the most one sided drumming of any fleet action in history.

Trafalgar the RN had about 1/10 the casualties of the French/Spanish. the French/Spanish lost 11 ships only 1 sunk (it took a lot to sink a wooden ship of the line)

Battle of Tsushima 117 dead Japanese to 4380 russian.. under 500 tons of ships lost to over 125 thousand tons of Russian ships.

They make Mikasa below par as a dig to the IJN and the battle of Tsushima. I really don't think they will ever buff her  

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this