Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
_Teob_

Capping mechanic

25 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

[TTT]
[TTT]
Moderator
1,249 posts
12,924 battles

I am sure this has all been said before but I couldn't find it so please do let me know if what I am about to propose is yesterday's news.

 

I would quite like it if the team with more ships on a cap would cap even if there's an enemy ship also in the cap.

By this I mean that if the enemy team is blocking a cap with 1 DD and we have 2 DDs in the cap we should still slowly be able to take that point. 

Obviously having an enemy ship in a cap would still block or at the very least slow down points gain.

 

It just feels to me that the team that invests more resources (in this case players) in capping should get something out of it. 

 

Thoughts?

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
[NWP]
Players
8,241 posts
11,737 battles

Better the way it is, simply because of the player base. As one ship can hold whilst the rest of a potato team gets their act together.  

 

I'd imagine if it capped regardless then most wouldn't bother and teams would fold even faster than they already do...

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TTT]
[TTT]
Moderator
1,249 posts
12,924 battles
1 minute ago, Negativvv said:

Better the way it is, simply because of the player base. As one ship can hold whilst the rest of a potato team gets their act together.  

 

I'd imagine if it capped regardless then most wouldn't bother and teams would fold even faster than they already do...

 

Well I see it the other way around. In the sense that I think that what I am proposing would make more people go for caps. And it would mean large ships could cap as well instead of being blocked by one DD in a smoke.

There would still be incentive to block because of the points gain.

 

I don't think it could be worse than right now where DDs and only DDs cap anyway in the vast majority of cases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
Players
826 posts
14,589 battles

Perhaps introduce it as a separate game mode? I'd take that over standard battles :fish_aqua:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TTT]
[TTT]
Moderator
1,249 posts
12,924 battles
Just now, Freyr_90 said:

Perhaps introduce it as a separate game mode? I'd take that over standard battles :fish_aqua:

 

Maybe... or at least do it for epicenter for example. Because again, that mode is basically DDs being shot like fish in a barrel in the middle while everyone casually sails around the sides as there is no point in them being in the cap.

  • Cool 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
176 posts
14,148 battles

Capping? That's only for the super unicorn win rate%. It's way to dangerus!

 

Above that. WHY, would a potato/statspader contest. It's not like CONTESTING gives EXP! 

 

But seriously, OK idea, don't let it be a 1 to 1 ratio tough. Rather something like: contesting ship blocks 100% first capping. 50% of 2nd capping ship capping speed & 25% of 3 th capping ship.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TTT]
[TTT]
Moderator
1,249 posts
12,924 battles
8 minutes ago, TomBombardil said:

[...] don't let it be a 1 to 1 ratio tough. Rather something like: contesting ship blocks 100% first capping. 50% of 2nd capping ship capping speed & 25% of 30th capping ship.

 

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I don't want to devalue blocking too much. I mostly just want to make a higher investment of resources mean more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,421 posts

It makes sense and I like it. It also gives you information if you are up against multiple enemies inside the capzone. In Battlefield the "flagcontestmechanism" works this way and it works flawless. I think I'd only be fair to the team that allocates the most resources into a cap. It would change the flow of the game significantly though. If your team is down on ships it is going to be even harder to contest caps simply because you lack the numbers while right now only 1ship per cap is enough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
185 posts
3,446 battles
1 hour ago, Teob_VG said:

 

Maybe... or at least do it for epicenter for example. Because again, that mode is basically DDs being shot like fish in a barrel in the middle while everyone casually sails around the sides as there is no point in them being in the cap.

What do you mean. Of cause there's a point in being in the epicenter circles for others than DDs, e.g. to push the enemy team out. That it can be often seen that BB's (and even cruisers) play don't touch the lines in epicenter is an entirely different (potato) issue. In my experience, it's often the team that dares push in that win's - but hey, playing the objectives are not always the strong suite in all wows players...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TTT]
[TTT]
Moderator
1,249 posts
12,924 battles
Just now, Wildf1re said:

What do you mean. Of cause there's a point in being in the epicenter circles for others than DDs, e.g. to push the enemy team out. That it can be often seen that BB's (and even cruisers) play don't touch the lines in epicenter is an entirely different (potato) issue. In my experience, it's often the team that dares push in that win's - but hey, playing the objectives are not always the strong suite in all wows players...

 

Well that's the thing. If what I am proposing would be implemented there's a direct implication to BBs and cruisers pushing the central cap in epicentre. In the sense that look if we have more ships on the point, we will cap. 

And since most people don't go in the middle, there's obviously a need to try to do something about that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
1,001 posts
6,733 battles

I like the blocking mechanic as it is right now. Being able to delay the enemy flipping a cap takes skill and you risk getting overrun, so I feel it's a balanced investment in risk / reward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SCRUB]
Players
8,460 posts
11,914 battles

Don't think a contested cap should flip just because one side has more ships in it. If anything, the motivation to stick around and keep contesting would be nil since you literally gain little to nothing from it whilst taking a huge risk.

 

Contesting itself however should get rewarded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
2,565 posts
15,503 battles

Nah.

 

These days sinking enemy ships gives the team more point rewards than wasting time trying to contest caps (for random battles)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
260 posts
4,654 battles

If there is 1 dd blocking the cap and there are 2 enemy ships in the zone, they should just rush the dd while wasding.
It might be interesting to have your idea implemented on epicenter mode but i strongly disagree for standard and domination modes.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[TTT]
[TTT]
Moderator
1,249 posts
12,924 battles
6 minutes ago, Ouzo11 said:

If there is 1 dd blocking the cap and there are 2 enemy ships in the zone, they should just rush the dd while wasding.
It might be interesting to have your idea implemented on epicenter mode but i strongly disagree for standard and domination modes.
 

rushing a DD in smoke means 100% death for at least one of the rushing ships if not both because of either torpedoes from the defending DD or all his team shooting at the rushing ships.

 

I can't remember ever seeing what you're describing which is why I am proposing this solution in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Tester
417 posts
6,029 battles

Better idea: "Capital Domination" game mode, where only Battleships and Carriers can cap. Pushes the BBs together and gives the DDs freedom not to run into the radar saturated hotspots. Preferably combined with some shallow water areas that can only be crossed by DDs and CLs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
986 posts
5,129 battles
8 minutes ago, th3freakie said:

Better idea: "Capital Domination" game mode, where only Battleships and Carriers can cap. Pushes the BBs together and gives the DDs freedom not to run into the radar saturated hotspots. Preferably combined with some shallow water areas that can only be crossed by DDs and CLs.

Creative idea, but the overall player base is too baloney to make it work. Don't want to rely on some random bb to cap for my team. 

 

On topic: I quite like the idea, but what I don't favour about it is the extra information this system would provide. Knowing from the get go that you're up against two dds instead of one is a huge advantage. 

 

I also wouldn't want to see it in clan wars since it further limits what a single dd can do, if say his support got killed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
185 posts
3,446 battles
11 minutes ago, th3freakie said:

Better idea: "Capital Domination" game mode, where only Battleships and Carriers can cap. Pushes the BBs together and gives the DDs freedom not to run into the radar saturated hotspots. Preferably combined with some shallow water areas that can only be crossed by DDs and CLs.

He, then we can just drop caps because nothing will get capped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
915 posts
11,130 battles

I'd rather like see the following two things:

- Get points for partial capping, say, for every 10-25%. This way, if - let's say - the entire supporting force sees a lone radar cruiser coming and says "Oh no, better run!",  and the destroyer is forced to disengage, his efforts, previous HP loss etc. are not all in vain. If the player gets out and returns to the same cap without the enemy contesting the cap in the meantime, he should only be able to get points until 100%' cap points summarized, so it can't be exploited (sailing in and out of caps for more and more points) - maybe even less, so the big money still comes from actually winning the cap sector over.

- Up to a certain point (so it shouldn't be exploitable) get some rewards for simply staying in a cap while contested by the enemy as well. Sure, the player might have been overextended in this case, but then he will be slaughtered quick enough. If not, and proceeds to fight for the cap in smoke for example, but eventually gets pushed out, that should still grant some rewards.

The current system is too much "all or nothing".

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
90 posts
5,450 battles

I have a better idea.

Once two ship are contesting the point a timer is launched then after the countdown the point become a brawling arena who will only open after one contender die.

 

Special rule : 

If you are outside you can't shoot inside and the contrary too

an other player is authorized to get in only if it take too long.

 

I m out :Smile_hiding:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,715 posts
12,392 battles

This would just further disadvantage teams that start with a low-stealth RU DD versus teams that don't.

 

Anyone who thinks this change would encourage BBs to get into the cap too just hasn't been paying attention for the last few years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Players
185 posts
3,446 battles
2 hours ago, AkosJaccik said:

I'd rather like see the following two things:

- Get points for partial capping, say, for every 10-25%. This way, if - let's say - the entire supporting force sees a lone radar cruiser coming and says "Oh no, better run!",  and the destroyer is forced to disengage, his efforts, previous HP loss etc. are not all in vain. If the player gets out and returns to the same cap without the enemy contesting the cap in the meantime, he should only be able to get points until 100%' cap points summarized, so it can't be exploited (sailing in and out of caps for more and more points) - maybe even less, so the big money still comes from actually winning the cap sector over.

- Up to a certain point (so it shouldn't be exploitable) get some rewards for simply staying in a cap while contested by the enemy as well. Sure, the player might have been overextended in this case, but then he will be slaughtered quick enough. If not, and proceeds to fight for the cap in smoke for example, but eventually gets pushed out, that should still grant some rewards.

The current system is too much "all or nothing".

Yea, something like that would have more impact on how people play I think. Getting exp for contesting/defending (being in the cap). In other words exp for contributing to the objective in domination matches, which is.. dominating caps. Same could be done for base/flag matches, I dunno e.g. exp for challenging enemy teams cap. However, it's harder to find comparative supporting "rewards" for those playing BBs - but there's many good suggestions in other threads already regarding how the whole exp rewarding could be reworked, going beyond favoring damage dealing. From the latest Dev Q&A , however, is does not seem to be high on WG to-do list....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[ONE2]
Players
2,939 posts
17,656 battles
5 hours ago, Negativvv said:

Better the way it is, simply because of the player base. As one ship can hold whilst the rest of a potato team gets their act together.  

 

I'd imagine if it capped regardless then most wouldn't bother and teams would fold even faster than they already do...

Yeah, also it might actually promote even more passive gameplay with the opposing team (the one with bigger numbers) just happy passively sitting in their smokes, capping instead of trying to actively chase the other side out of the cap circle. :cap_old:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[UNICS]
Players
3,727 posts
14,587 battles

I like it tried at least. Since they're already testing new modes....

 

...but I want CV to count as 5 ships, BB as 3 ships, CL/CA as 2 and DD as 1, because why not?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
11,878 posts
16,981 battles
6 hours ago, th3freakie said:

Better idea: "Capital Domination" game mode, where only Battleships and Carriers can cap.

 

Meh, I'd love it. More caps I can take as a CV without pesky DDs and cruisers stealing it before I get there.

Because we all know BBs will never take a cap in 9/10 cases.

 

On a more serious note, I wouldn't be surprised at all if WG made planes capable of taking and denying caps in the rework.

No, I'm not joking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×