Sign in to follow this  
Andy_the_Cupid_Stunt

Fletcher v Gearing - Help

21 comments in this topic

Players
258 posts
12,323 battles

I play the Fletcher reasonably well but suck in the Gearing and can't work it out. Two years I've been trying to make it work, I end up playing a few battles and then, after more dismal failure, walk away for a bit. I see mostly T10 MM in Fletcher so that's not the issue. Ok recently with 4-5 radar cruisers in most battles it's tougher but this has been going on too long.

It was the same in ranked, as soon as I dumped the Gearing for the YY my WR improved (Gearing 42.55%, YY 55.56%)

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

image.thumb.png.e9111272261a99f11c823d9088a256ed.png

Players
258 posts
12,323 battles

Captain skills are same on both, PM, LS, SE, CE, RL, AR, TAE.

Setup is: Main Arm mod 1, Prop Mod 1, Aiming Mod 1 (though will probably switch to AA when next free change is available), Prop Mod 2, Conceal, Torp Reload.

I've a feeling I play the Gearing a lot more aggressively than the Fletcher, engaging DDs more often and probably when I shouldn't. Also, I do a lot more torp damage with the Fletcher, probably due to the much quicker reload. I eat torps a lot more in the Gearing too. I set the YY up as a total gunboat for ranked and had success just spotting and killing DDs but that isn't really a great thing for randoms.

[UNICS]
Players
2,881 posts
12,093 battles

I kind of did the same as you - thinking I could translate Fletcher gameplay to the Gearing. It might work when you get the Fletcher torps for Gearing, but otherwise, if you're up for it, I'd recommend a pure gun build for the Gearing and focus on taking out enemy dds as quickly as possible when you spot them, while always having smoke ready to disengage. Means captain skills all goes to guns (not range though. I even have IFHE but that may be overkill), same for modules.

RPF is a double edged sword that is very subjective... I do without it since I'm able to surprise enemy dds to a greater degree. I tried RPF early but found it more boring. It's still obviously useful in many situations.

In the new radar heavy meta, I'm a bit more careful at start in entering caps. You eat more damage in Gearing compared to Fletcher and YY, so keep distance to the islands where cruisers are hiding. You're also fatter and need to be more careful about the random torp drops at start.

Main thing - always hold your fire until spotted if you see an enemy dd closing in on you. The closer you get them, the better. ...and don't overcommit if enemy dd has backup. Choose the engagements.

• Cool 2

Players
258 posts
12,323 battles

Thanks, I'm guessing it'll be something like my YY captain then with BFT and the gun reload mod rather than torp reload.

Yeah, I do things in the Gearing that I would never contemplate in the Fletcher, usually taking many more risks when contesting caps. I need to learn (well I know but need to act on) which fights are worth taking on. Just cause I can easily kill a DD doesn't mean it's worth exposing myself to half their fleet.

Once again, thanks for the help.

Players
1,509 posts
10,533 battles

Most important is to preserve hp and not overcommit for a kill.

I run the same gearing setup and success fine with it. Played exclusively Gearing for a while and used it for rank1 too recently. Gearing like short engagements and always thinking about incoming torps first. Use every trick in the book to dodge incoming fire and torps and don't stay in smoke until the torps arrive.

With lots of backup around I tend to turn around and to smoke up fast, sometimes at first volley. Bb AP and cruiser HE tends to come in hard and fast so better to have the other DD shot up than get shot up myself.

Players
3,593 posts
7,312 battles

I could be wrong, but I think most consider Fletcher to be the better all-round ship, Gearing gets the gun DPM buff but the torpedo package is probably worse overall and is much more fat a sluggish in terms of handling.

[UNICS]
Players
1,205 posts
15,017 battles

imageproxy.php?img=&key=f33eb831f1471fd4

Warship Tier Nation Battles Win rate PR Average Damage Avg. frags Avg. planes destroyed  
Fletcher   Fletcher 9 U.S.A. 600 59.67% 2 681 62 659 1.39 1.41 Details
2 Gearing   Gearing 10 U.S.A. 190 57.89% 2 298 76 112 1.43 1.26 Details

Mine performs fine, but i shelved the gearing until it gets the fletcher torps. Then will check her out again, i also have full gunboat build , and No RL

[SWTP]
Players
387 posts
6,465 battles

It took me a while to get Gearing somehow work for me. Now I have slightly better win rate with her than with Fletcher but for a first 50 battles I was struggling badly below 40%. It is not the best torpedo boat. It is a very good gun boat. Try to play exclusively her for a couple of weeks to get used to crappy handling and all the positives and shortcomings. Try to focus more on guns and be more selective with torpedo attacks due to slow reload. You can also score surprisingly often long range hits to camping BBs. 

[UNICS]
Players
2,881 posts
12,093 battles
8 hours ago, Ysterpyp said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=f33eb831f1471fd4

Warship Tier Nation Battles Win rate PR Average Damage Avg. frags Avg. planes destroyed  
Fletcher   Fletcher 9 U.S.A. 600 59.67% 2 681 62 659 1.39 1.41 Details
2 Gearing   Gearing 10 U.S.A. 190 57.89% 2 298 76 112 1.43 1.26 Details

Mine performs fine, but i shelved the gearing until it gets the fletcher torps. Then will check her out again, i also have full gunboat build , and No RL

You don't reach the Fletcher WR at over 2600 though. That's really amazing :cap_like:

• Cool 1

[UNICS]
Players
1,205 posts
15,017 battles
12 hours ago, loppantorkel said:

You don't reach the Fletcher WR at over 2600 though. That's really amazing :cap_like:

Yea, its just that gearing is alot easier to hit for huge ap salvoes , and eat torps in :)

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
531 posts
13,633 battles

Gearing is godly, I still love mine.  Gearing was the tier x ship that made me play this game and I never regret getting her even having read so many negative comments on her compared to Fletcher (which I also love and have kept).

Maybe don't rush too much guys?

Players
944 posts
5,320 battles

@Andy_the_Cupid_Stunt Your Fletcher average damage is also quite low, I think you have a problem with survivability? Can't check because wows-numbers doesn't have survivability percentage for ships apparently. 

Best advice is to not use Gearing as some kind of gunboat or knife fighter. I know this goes against popular belief that Gearing can 1v1 any other DD especially at close range, but the problem is, enemy DD's are not without support in the first 10-15 minutes. You want only real 1v1 or at least not get focused by other enemy ships while fighting a DD. Rather use your guns to stack fires after flooding, from range, island cover or from smoke.

Gearing trades maneuverability for gun DPM and torp reload for torp range. The extra range is very useful in high tier games. And if you have TAE and some bonus from AR the torp reload is fine. So the main difference comes down to using the gun DPM to your advantage and not getting wrecked because you eat pens and can't dodge. Do not be that guy that gets blasted in the first minutes and then limps around the map not doing useful stuff.

Also, spot for your team. You are are in a ship meant to do that.

[ICI]
[ICI]
Players
561 posts
3,238 battles
On 6/29/2018 at 8:13 PM, Linkaex said:

I have the same problem. I really find it hard to play her coming just over from the Fletcher. That being said I only have played 8 battles with her up to date. 

I run this setup for my captain 
http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/0100000000000011010010000000001119

Can Anyone comment if this is a decent captains build? Would be appreciated :) 

[UNICS]
Players
2,881 posts
12,093 battles
9 hours ago, Linkaex said:

Can Anyone comment if this is a decent captains build? Would be appreciated :) 

It's a standard gun build. Good imo, but I consider RPF tradeable for something else.

• Cool 1

[B4P]
Beta Tester
23 posts
4,162 battles

Gearing's 16.5km range torpedoes are great. Enemy doesnt mind your presence above ~12km's and you can just launch torpedoes and wait. Fletcher is a very sneaky beaky like DD, you can dodge shells easily, but Gearing can also but its slower.

[SWTP]
Players
387 posts
6,465 battles

Gearing with Fletcher's torps=best of both and 66% of dakka on the bow makes you a smaller target while still maintaining high DMP.  It takes a while to get used to poorer handling and you need to watch for BBs AP and torps but I like her more than Fletcher now. It can wreck enemysDDs much faster, taking less damage, provided I can keep a safe distance from enemy fleet.

[HOUSE]
Players
205 posts
4,418 battles
On 2018-07-29 at 12:58 PM, DariusJacek said:

Gearing with Fletcher's torps=best of both and 66% of dakka on the bow makes you a smaller target while still maintaining high DMP.  It takes a while to get used to poorer handling and you need to watch for BBs AP and torps but I like her more than Fletcher now. It can wreck enemysDDs much faster, taking less damage, provided I can keep a safe distance from enemy fleet.

This is what I am thinking, maybe the Gearing is worth getting now. I really like my hybrid-Fletcher and didn't care for Gearing with 16.5 km tops, but maybe now. Has never had any problems divisioning with mates at T10 using my Fletcher and often end up top 5 in the team. 

Is the Fletcher torps on Gearing the best of both and the new Jack-of-all-trades DD that could replace my Fletcher and allow me to play Fletcher style in clan battles? 

[SWTP]
Players
387 posts
6,465 battles
6 godzin temu, affie napisał:

This is what I am thinking, maybe the Gearing is worth getting now. I really like my hybrid-Fletcher and didn't care for Gearing with 16.5 km tops, but maybe now. Has never had any problems divisioning with mates at T10 using my Fletcher and often end up top 5 in the team. 

Is the Fletcher torps on Gearing the best of both and the new Jack-of-all-trades DD that could replace my Fletcher and allow me to play Fletcher style in clan battles? 

I don't play Fletcher any more. Gearing is better now IMO. Only sometimes in div with t9. In CB team play is rewarded so yes, you should be good to go now. Smoke clan mates and spot, hunt shimas and torp when safe and possible. 

[NWP]
Players
729 posts
6,291 battles

Following.

I loved Fletcher, just got Gearing and while I'm capable of posting big games with her I do find her more difficult to play.

Sign in to follow this