Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
NicramDuel

Intentional afk is officially legit on WG's behalf. Is this how it should be?

Should intentional afk'ing be more severely punished?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Should intentional afk'ing be more severely punished - with temporary and permanent account bans happening much sooner / or empowering a team more directly to instantly delete such a player from that battle?

• Yes, extensive afk'ers need to be more severely punished.
    • No, no change is needed.

21 comments in this topic

[HNFC]
Players
171 posts
13,922 battles

First game of the day. I knew very well that today's weekend, so I had no high hopes. But to instantly be subject to...this? 

He joined with a DD - the second most critical class to a game after CV's. INSTANTLY, without a second thought, he did a 180° turn, went up north, and afk'd there for nearly the whole duration of the game. I very quickly realized the guy, since I met him earlier this week, in a similar fashion, that time on the map "Trap". That time, he did the same thing, except went south. Anyways, about today's game: At LEAST 7 minutes have passed, we initially got withered down (as you can see, it was a close, and reversable game for the most part, so he could have made ALL the difference...), make it 9 minutes rather. Until chat was so full with him, along with the threat of an actual account ban, that he finally zoomed out of his safespot, did SOMETHING to award him that 100-something points, only to retreat for the last few seconds again, and be the sole surviver. 

The game (check the time-stamps): 

Spoiler

shot-18_06.16_11_03.18-0964.thumb.jpg.a983c8b80225345a6e98cb75de871bcf.jpg

shot-18_06.16_11_04.10-0055.thumb.jpg.7afcb68c5e72a54e2c2068b359893802.jpg

shot-18_06.16_11_06.39-0097.thumb.jpg.6812975f44bc52a3cb9ff629d3bdcf00.jpg

shot-18_06.16_11_09.27-0251.thumb.jpg.e9eb0fbd0ffb2829b82835cffd8468ff.jpg

turrican77.thumb.jpg.92dad71735b64c5163e5b7ebe1d88988.jpg

Now, this alone was a bit discouraging. After another recent event I've documented here on the forum: 

Spoiler

... I decided that on one of the next occasions I witness such a thing, I will try to relay the events on to those that could really bring these "players" what they are begging for: A VIP place, away from this game, a well-deserved rest somewhere. Elsewhere from proper players, who come here to play and have fun. 

What really boiled me up, though, was the reply I recieved from WG: 

Spoiler

[EDIT: As per EULA 2.20.: "Discussion of decisions or sanctions made by Moderators or Administration in all game chats and channels is prohibited." - I have removed the screenshot of the entire messaging between Support and myself. 
or the viability and discussion of this topic, 2 sentences still have to be here: 

[...] this player is technically not breaking the game rules. This can rather be seen as a game strategy (keeping out of the fight and striking later) than being unsportsmanlike.[...]

The reason I dare to leave this here is because anyone else sending such a complaint would recieve the same information - and furthermore, no actual sanctions have been handed out. The actual topic I'm trying to address is beyond a particular sanction that has or hasn't been made - it is about something much more general and common. A function that has left many desirable changes among some of us. Hence, this, the (afk) reporting system is definitely worth talking about.

So, apparently, this is against no rules. In fact, this is an awesome, furthermore ENCOURAGED, tactic, and has nothing to do with "unsportsmanlike" behaviour. Definitely no direct punishment on WG's behalf. Perhaps the same was true for that CV guy a few weeks ago: He may have an 18% winrate, but he is a super-tactical CV genious, who knows, unlike many Unicum CV players, how to keep his planes perfectly safe and ready for any engagement. And being extremely successful in denying all enemies any achievements that have anything to do with plane killing. Same must apply to this DD-player. He has survived the game, thus denying the enemy recieval of any points for his kill.  He even has somehow managed to remain completely unspotted throughout the game, even while he was on the move. For all 60 seconds or so if it, but still. Apparently, this is the perfect, and top secret technique to being successful in a DD: since hey, bringing her home safe to fight another day is the definition of success, right? 

Seriously though... is this how much WG truly cares about distinguishingly deviant players showing up now and again, completely ruining matches and player morale? Why... we don't even know what the report system does! How it works! Does it even work? All that's known is that if you're afk so many times that the system "detects you", then all that happens is you have to do a few rounds of co-op. With only needing to press the "w" four times before the game starts (and let secondaries do some damage before you die, only to see how they've performed once you return 5-10 minutes later from a YouTube video lol), and repeat this 2-3 times before returning to the main activities of the game, only to do the very same thing again. 

The reporting system doesn't seem to protect the proper players enough - it would be nice to recieve some form of empowerment in this field: 
- Much quicker termination of player's accounts who are excessively violationg this expectation of not being afk (I won't even say rule, as it seems there is no such thing, after all, lol)

- Or the chance to have an active, in-battle report system, which, after recieving a certain limit of afk reports in that battle(4-5 for instance), would instantly detonate the afk'ers ship, and award nothing for the game exp and creditwise...if not straightforward penalizing him for negative credits/exp.

- Or anything, really, that has an effect. 

• Funny 1

[SCRUB]
Players
3,631 posts
12,388 battles

There are probably multiple players that do this, but I think I met this one in a couple of battles as well.

Also there should be some way to ban bot accounts .. last night had a Tirpirtz player with highest silver ship T4 and a few dozen premium ships. He (or the bot program) sat in spawn during the first half of the battle, and sailed to the A in the second half, while the 3 remaining enemy ships were in the C cap (other side of the map).

Dude had ~3k battles, ~37% wr and ~10k avg dmg ..

One thing I wonder is, if it is indeed a bot, why spend so much money on this game? (Tirpitz + Alabama + Kii alone cost well over €100) :cap_hmm:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
11,625 posts
16,740 battles

Naming and shaming is not allowed.

Posting private messages from support is not allowed.

Just sayin'.

The report system actually doesn't do anything except for the chat ban function as per official statement afaik.

And while I agree that afk'ing is not punished hard enough, making the playerbase govern itself is just asking for trouble as the current chat ban system already demonstrates.

• Cool 2

Players
1,558 posts
5,924 battles

Seen this in Co-Op a lot since the update to the Pink/Orange Punishment system happened.

Players who are Pink start a match, press "W" a few times them Alt-Tab to do something else for 10 minutes until the match is over then do the same again. Saw the same guy do it twice, once in a DD and once in a BB a few days apart (very unique latin-style name so I remembered).

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[CATS]
Players
19,959 posts
12,415 battles

You are doing something wrong. When I report those players, I get positive feedback from WG.

• Cool 1

[HNFC]
Players
171 posts
13,922 battles
25 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Just sayin'.

The report system actually doesn't do anything except for the chat ban function as per official statement afaik.

And while I agree that afk'ing is not punished hard enough, making the playerbase govern itself is just asking for trouble as the current chat ban system already demonstrates.

Thanks! I didn't take enough care to remove the name in all images - I've done it now. I wasn't sure about the support messages though, so had to go through the EULA to find anything stating this. Apparently, WoWS EULA 2.20 comes close. The screenshot of the support ticket&reply has been removed, and the issue addressed (as) appropriately (as I could). 

As for self-governance... Although I'm not totally convinced, I understand that it can - and most definitely, would - backfire in some more or less isolated cases (as is with the occasional rampage of one nerdraging team member, however right or wrong he may be). One of the best solutions imho would be to have a Community Warden, and/or perhaps a smaller network of similarly tasked individuals who would review the more drastic cases that make it as far as a quasi-support-ticket, and would deal with it specifically, beyond the mechanics of the existing report system. 

The second option would be simply to intensify current punishments (if any serious ones truly exist?). One main concern of automation, in this case, would be to distinguish the intentional afk'ers from players having loading issues. But I feel that today, where a somewhat already sophisticated penalty-system is already active, this wouldn't be too difficult to implement. 

[HNFC]
Players
171 posts
13,922 battles
3 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

You are doing something wrong. When I report those players, I get positive feedback from WG.

Not sure what I did or didn't do here... I provided all of the above, uncensored screenshots, the replay, and an extensive description of the events that unfolded (including this not being my first encounter with said player - and this, apparently...uh..."habit" of his. Not to much avail, apparently. :D 

[_OPC_]
Players
442 posts
12,967 battles
38 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Just sayin'.

xaxaxa

because auto support replies do better...xaxaxaxa

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,433 battles

Technically he's not AFK as he keeps moving and as you yourself mentioned - quite a bit later he turned around and moved to do "something", hence the point that it could be some sort of "be safe & hidden early on, strike later" tactic, just at a rather low quality of execution which would be expected from the typical potato

So yes, as annoying as that is - technically he "isn't" breaking any rules

Without the part where he comes back and does "something" he most likely could have been punished, I've reported guys like that quite successfully

Players
4,498 posts
9,449 battles
48 minutes ago, NicramDuel said:

First game of the day. I knew very well that today's weekend, so I had no high hopes. But to instantly be subject to...this? 

He joined with a DD - the second most critical class to a game after CV's. INSTANTLY, without a second thought, he did a 180° turn, went up north, and afk'd there for nearly the whole duration of the game. I very quickly realized the guy, since I met him earlier this week, in a similar fashion, that time on the map "Trap". That time, he did the same thing, except went south. Anyways, about today's game: At LEAST 7 minutes have passed, we initially got withered down (as you can see, it was a close, and reversable game for the most part, so he could have made ALL the difference...), make it 9 minutes rather. Until chat was so full with him, along with the threat of an actual account ban, that he finally zoomed out of his safespot, did SOMETHING to award him that 100-something points, only to retreat for the last few seconds again, and be the sole surviver. 

The game (check the time-stamps): 

Hide contents

shot-18_06.16_11_03.18-0964.thumb.jpg.a983c8b80225345a6e98cb75de871bcf.jpg

shot-18_06.16_11_04.10-0055.thumb.jpg.7afcb68c5e72a54e2c2068b359893802.jpg

shot-18_06.16_11_06.39-0097.thumb.jpg.6812975f44bc52a3cb9ff629d3bdcf00.jpg

shot-18_06.16_11_09.27-0251.thumb.jpg.e9eb0fbd0ffb2829b82835cffd8468ff.jpg

turrican77.thumb.jpg.92dad71735b64c5163e5b7ebe1d88988.jpg

Now, this alone was a bit discouraging. After another recent event I've documented here on the forum: 

Hide contents

... I decided that on one of the next occasions I witness such a thing, I will try to relay the events on to those that could really bring these "players" what they are begging for: A VIP place, away from this game, a well-deserved rest somewhere. Elsewhere from proper players, who come here to play and have fun. 

Hide contents

[EDIT: As per EULA 2.20.: "Discussion of decisions or sanctions made by Moderators or Administration in all game chats and channels is prohibited." - I have removed the screenshot of the entire messaging between Support and myself. 
or the viability and discussion of this topic, 2 sentences still have to be here: 

[...] this player is technically not breaking the game rules. This can rather be seen as a game strategy (keeping out of the fight and striking later) than being unsportsmanlike.[...]

The reason I dare to leave this here is because anyone else sending such a complaint would recieve the same information - and furthermore, no actual sanctions have been handed out. The actual topic I'm trying to address is beyond a particular sanction that has or hasn't been made - it is about something much more general and common. A function that has left many desirable changes among some of us. Hence, this, the (afk) reporting system is definitely worth talking about.

So, apparently, this is against no rules. In fact, this is an awesome, furthermore ENCOURAGED, tactic, and has nothing to do with "unsportsmanlike" behaviour. Definitely no direct punishment on WG's behalf. Perhaps the same was true for that CV guy a few weeks ago: He may have an 18% winrate, but he is a super-tactical CV genious, who knows, unlike many Unicum CV players, how to keep his planes perfectly safe and ready for any engagement. And being extremely successful in denying all enemies any achievements that have anything to do with plane killing. Same must apply to this DD-player. He has survived the game, thus denying the enemy recieval of any points for his kill.  He even has somehow managed to remain completely unspotted throughout the game, even while he was on the move. For all 60 seconds or so if it, but still. Apparently, this is the perfect, and top secret technique to being successful in a DD: since hey, bringing her home safe to fight another day is the definition of success, right? 

Seriously though... is this how much WG truly cares about distinguishingly deviant players showing up now and again, completely ruining matches and player morale? Why... we don't even know what the report system does! How it works! Does it even work? All that's known is that if you're afk so many times that the system "detects you", then all that happens is you have to do a few rounds of co-op. With only needing to press the "w" four times before the game starts (and let secondaries do some damage before you die, only to see how they've performed once you return 5-10 minutes later from a YouTube video lol), and repeat this 2-3 times before returning to the main activities of the game, only to do the very same thing again. 

The reporting system doesn't seem to protect the proper players enough - it would be nice to recieve some form of empowerment in this field: 
- Much quicker termination of player's accounts who are excessively violationg this expectation of not being afk (I won't even say rule, as it seems there is no such thing, after all, lol)

- Or the chance to have an active, in-battle report system, which, after recieving a certain limit of afk reports in that battle(4-5 for instance), would instantly detonate the afk'ers ship, and award nothing for the game exp and creditwise...if not straightforward penalizing him for negative credits/exp.

- Or anything, really, that has an effect. 

It may also be a way for WG to shield themselves from wrongly banning or otherwise interdicting innocent players who were wrongly accused by toxic players who send angry mails to WG in what these players believe is wrongdoing to them, but in reality is sheer ignorance on the part of the players who wrongly report innocent players.

These people may be so totally incapable of admitting they were wrong, they might even go so far as creating lie upon lie, denial upon denial, accusation upon accusation, it would become a mess if WG would have to deal with people who behave in such a way. It's incredably frustrating and eats more time then playing WoWS :Smile-_tongue:

If they are afk then I suppose it is against the rules but there are ingame punishments for that. More severe cases I'd agree it should be dealt with in more personal means by WG, esepcially if it is damaging to the game.

There will always be people who get on someones nerves, I learned to either tolerate them (kinda), ignore them or just find another game to play.

21 minutes ago, IanH755 said:

Seen this in Co-Op a lot since the update to the Pink/Orange Punishment system happened.

Players who are Pink start a match, press "W" a few times them Alt-Tab to do something else for 10 minutes until the match is over then do the same again. Saw the same guy do it twice, once in a DD and once in a BB a few days apart (very unique latin-style name so I remembered).

Can still report these for afk (though not sure it matters anything).

[CATS]
Players
19,959 posts
12,415 battles
4 minutes ago, NicramDuel said:

Not sure what I did or didn't do here... I provided all of the above, uncensored screenshots, the replay, and an extensive description of the events that unfolded (including this not being my first encounter with said player - and this, apparently...uh..."habit" of his. Not to much avail, apparently. :D 

You do not tell them he is moving around.

You tell them he is afk in the corner, what he did.

And I would not spend time argueing with such players. Costs you time and might motivate them to save their hide by doing something.

• Cool 1

[HNFC]
Players
171 posts
13,922 battles
2 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Technically he's not AFK as he keeps moving and as you yourself mentioned - quite a bit later he turned around and moved to do "something", hence the point that it could be some sort of "be safe & hidden early on, strike later" tactic, just at a rather low quality of execution which would be expected from the typical potato

So yes, as annoying as that is - technically he "isn't" breaking any rules

Without the part where he comes back and does "something" he most likely could have been punished, I've reported guys like that quite successfully

Thing is, according to screenshots #3 and #4, 3 minutes have passed while he did not move, and screenshot #2 suggests that nearly another 2 minutes can safely be applied to said timeframe. To retrieve the exact period of complete AFK, I'd have to watch the replay and take two precise screenshots - but the end result should be near 7-8 minutes of stationary afk on his behalf. As for the "Without the part where he comes back" - that's one of the most irritating parts: He seems well-accustomed to how NOT get caught by the system. 

6 minutes ago, NothingButTheRain said:

It may also be a way for WG to shield themselves from wrongly banning or otherwise interdicting innocent players who were wrongly accused by toxic players who send angry mails to WG in what these players believe is wrongdoing to them, but in reality is sheer ignorance on the part of the players who wrongly report innocent players.

These people may be so totally incapable of admitting they were wrong, they might even go so far as creating lie upon lie, denial upon denial, accusation upon accusation, it would become a mess if WG would have to deal with people who behave in such a way. It's incredably frustrating and eats more time then playing WoWS :Smile-_tongue:

If they are afk then I suppose it is against the rules but there are ingame punishments for that. More severe cases I'd agree it should be dealt with in more personal means by WG, esepcially if it is damaging to the game.

There will always be people who get on someones nerves, I learned to either tolerate them (kinda), ignore them or just find another game to play.

Can still report these for afk (though not sure it matters anything).

That's where replays and screenshots come in. "Picture/video, or it didn't happen!" These are the exact filters that are needed to see clearly in any case - nothing else, such as a description is actually needed.:) That's why I sent all of them. 

I've recently learned the hard way (for a few months I've had at least one chatban a week lol) to avoid toxic's, and try to be more supportive: verbally or through in-game actions. So far, it's paying off.:)

Spoiler

shot-18_06.15_01_26.03-0272.thumb.jpg.adb6d9aef624c904ed89dc8d5883ceca.jpg

The only two things that still trigger me are: 

1. When I'm falsely accused of not doing my part in battle - and getting reported for it,

2. Cases of game-bending afk's such as with today's DD-player and a few weeks ago with that CV player.   

• Cool 1

[ALONE]
Players
1,417 posts
10,924 battles
1 hour ago, NicramDuel said:

Hide contents

So, apparently, this is against no rules. In fact, this is an awesome, furthermore ENCOURAGED, tactic, and has nothing to do with "unsportsmanlike" behaviour. 

What bothers me, is whether this was some automated support bot responding, or it was really homo sapiens? 

If it was human and he got the same screenshots (and/or replay), how is it possible that he didn't notice the obvious game disrupting behavior (which is explicitly forbidden by the regulations)?

How? Why? I don't get it. I am whining that WG should employ more human moderators - but what was THIS? Moderating? :Smile_bajan2:

Or maybe you are right and WG simply loves bots because they buy premium boats? :cap_wander:

• Cool 2

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,433 battles
22 minutes ago, NicramDuel said:

Thing is, according to screenshots #3 and #4, 3 minutes have passed while he did not move, and screenshot #2 suggests that nearly another 2 minutes can safely be applied to said timeframe. To retrieve the exact period of complete AFK, I'd have to watch the replay and take two precise screenshots - but the end result should be near 7-8 minutes of stationary afk on his behalf. As for the "Without the part where he comes back" - that's one of the most irritating parts: He seems well-accustomed to how NOT get caught by the system. 

In the replay (probably by using freecam) you could also see what he was doing in those 3...5min.

My best 3 guesses:

• Perpendicular in the border, engines running, but not sliding sideways
  • sliding to one side, then back to the other
  • Sitting still, but looking around (turning turrets)

All of those would still mark him as "present and playing"

And yeah, that last minute "coming back in" seems to be the "genius" part of it, whether that's coming by luck or judgement, as that's exactly what gives him the free pass

2 minutes ago, EdiJo said:

how is it possible that he didn't notice the obvious game disrupting behavior

Bcuz that behavior shown by this guy can easily be "explained", as I did above.

Play the potato card on him, and say that it's just a really really bad strategy that a really really bad player has. Being bad at the game isn't against the rules, and it basically nullifies his "misconduct"

[ALONE]
Players
1,417 posts
10,924 battles
24 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

In the replay (probably by using freecam) you could also see what he was doing in those 3...5min.

My best 3 guesses:

• Perpendicular in the border, engines running, but not sliding sideways
  • sliding to one side, then back to the other
  • Sitting still, but looking around (turning turrets)

All of those would still mark him as "present and playing"

And yeah, that last minute "coming back in" seems to be the "genius" part of it, whether that's coming by luck or judgement, as that's exactly what gives him the free pass

Bcuz that behavior shown by this guy can easily be "explained", as I did above.

Play the potato card on him, and say that it's just a really really bad strategy that a really really bad player has. Being bad at the game isn't against the rules, and it basically nullifies his "misconduct"

Potato card could explain things if he had done this for a minute max. But not for half of the game ffs. Even a potato is not so stupid, and even if some plays like this "non-intentionally", it should be eliminated exactly the same as intentional avoiding the fight. 

Sure, for automated algorithm it can be hard to distinguish, but human mod should really be better in this job. 

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,433 battles
26 minutes ago, EdiJo said:

Even a potato is not so stupid

Graph of player skill distribution:

MitBnW3.png

That's the thing, it's a "reasonable" argument and you can't prove the opposite

Don't get me wrong, I think he should be punished, but the potato card lets him loop around those rules

• Funny 1

Players
4,498 posts
9,449 battles
3 hours ago, NicramDuel said:

That's where replays and screenshots come in. "Picture/video, or it didn't happen!" These are the exact filters that are needed to see clearly in any case - nothing else, such as a description is actually needed.:) That's why I sent all of them. 

I've recently learned the hard way (for a few months I've had at least one chatban a week lol) to avoid toxic's, and try to be more supportive: verbally or through in-game actions. So far, it's paying off.:)

Hide contents

shot-18_06.15_01_26.03-0272.thumb.jpg.adb6d9aef624c904ed89dc8d5883ceca.jpg

The only two things that still trigger me are: 

1. When I'm falsely accused of not doing my part in battle - and getting reported for it,

2. Cases of game-bending afk's such as with today's DD-player and a few weeks ago with that CV player.   

I can very much relate to #1 on your list. Only an hour ago there was this player who accused our DDs of doing the wrong thing (going to the wrong caps). But when I asked him what our DDs should be doing, he replied with nothing but "lul" and let our DDs die as they had already comitted to the caps suggested by our team (which was the wrong choice and this purple unicorn knew this from the start but decided to omit this information just so he could get toxic about us being such terrible potatoes). This guy ended up reporting me, even though I was 1st position in our list. He tried to provoce me by commenting that I should pay more attention to playing better instead of being active on this forum (yes he aparently went as far as checking this while the battle was still going! :Smile_sceptic:) while our battle ended in a rare draw and him reporting me. Obviously his report was called for, me being only 1st place and all, even though I usually dont play that good (go check my sorry stats and see it's not purple magic colors there).

If only this smartypants had mentioned this information right away, it could've been a win as it was soooo close! We lost both our DDs for no good reason whatsoever. He's on my blacklist now, bye! :Smile_honoring:

But yes, I know what you mean and I'm pretty sure a lot of people know what you mean. I didn't let him provoke me but it did happen in the past. This toxicity ruins the game and makes people leave (either for a temporary while, or for good). I think WG should take this toxicity seriously, even if its toxicity made possible by 82% recent winrate purple unicorns (and especially if they themselves end up in the middle of the list, he forgot Im in this for the game and not for msn-clone).

• Cool 1

[DC_DK]
Players
2,725 posts
27,909 battles

Had one yesterday, sailing for A10 on north, he/she made the mistake of spamming the F keys and pinging the map constantly.

Best guess is that customer support actually did something.  since this is a part of the ticket reply. " Also, I would like to say thank you for you help to deal with this kind of players!"

• Cool 1

[HNFC]
Players
171 posts
13,922 battles
18 hours ago, NothingButTheRain said:

I can very much relate to #1 on your list. Only an hour ago there was this player who accused our DDs of doing the wrong thing (going to the wrong caps). But when I asked him what our DDs should be doing, he replied with nothing but "lul" and let our DDs die as they had already comitted to the caps suggested by our team (which was the wrong choice and this purple unicorn knew this from the start but decided to omit this information just so he could get toxic about us being such terrible potatoes). This guy ended up reporting me, even though I was 1st position in our list. He tried to provoce me by commenting that I should pay more attention to playing better instead of being active on this forum (yes he aparently went as far as checking this while the battle was still going! :Smile_sceptic:) while our battle ended in a rare draw and him reporting me. Obviously his report was called for, me being only 1st place and all, even though I usually dont play that good (go check my sorry stats and see it's not purple magic colors there).

If only this smartypants had mentioned this information right away, it could've been a win as it was soooo close! We lost both our DDs for no good reason whatsoever. He's on my blacklist now, bye! :Smile_honoring:

But yes, I know what you mean and I'm pretty sure a lot of people know what you mean. I didn't let him provoke me but it did happen in the past. This toxicity ruins the game and makes people leave (either for a temporary while, or for good). I think WG should take this toxicity seriously, even if its toxicity made possible by 82% recent winrate purple unicorns (and especially if they themselves end up in the middle of the list, he forgot Im in this for the game and not for msn-clone).

Unicums are a special breed in top tiers, but generally in a good sense. I only play high-tier, so somehow in the past months I've acquired an imaginary list of many exceptional players, and know who to watch out for...be it as an enemy...or...as an ally. As far as I've seen, uniqum's are less prone to report allies...but when they do, they lose their temper the most. This, paired with the fact that they know what they're doing better than the majority makes me try to find them among the initial lineup, and I'll steer close to them. That way, I know that I'm providing support for a worthy ally - and will recieve, if nothing else, well-aimed fire support in my vicinity. And...if I live longer than him in his vicinity, I still won't be accusedly reported for being afk on the far side of the map, in a situation he has not percieved so far. 

As for the initial push with DD's - the one you described is clearly his error, and in such arguements I send a complement to the one defending his actions in chat (to counter the report of the raging offender). I really love it when Mr. Knowitall is sharing his views on how everyone is a noob around him, but he himself is too pre-occupied, uncommunicative...or simply clueless on how to sort out the given situation. Or, if all fails, just let the whole situation (and game) go. There's always a next time. :) 

• Cool 1

Players
4,498 posts
9,449 battles
58 minutes ago, NicramDuel said:

Unicums are a special breed in top tiers, but generally in a good sense. I only play high-tier, so somehow in the past months I've acquired an imaginary list of many exceptional players, and know who to watch out for...be it as an enemy...or...as an ally. As far as I've seen, uniqum's are less prone to report allies...but when they do, they lose their temper the most. This, paired with the fact that they know what they're doing better than the majority makes me try to find them among the initial lineup, and I'll steer close to them. That way, I know that I'm providing support for a worthy ally - and will recieve, if nothing else, well-aimed fire support in my vicinity. And...if I live longer than him in his vicinity, I still won't be accusedly reported for being afk on the far side of the map, in a situation he has not percieved so far. 

As for the initial push with DD's - the one you described is clearly his error, and in such arguements I send a complement to the one defending his actions in chat (to counter the report of the raging offender). I really love it when Mr. Knowitall is sharing his views on how everyone is a noob around him, but he himself is too pre-occupied, uncommunicative...or simply clueless on how to sort out the given situation. Or, if all fails, just let the whole situation (and game) go. There's always a next time. :) 

In WoT I did exactly that! Stay close to the better players. The major difference was that, as most unicums there tended to play only for their stats, they would willingly bait me into becomming their pawn for distracting the enemy, getting shot at so he could farm even more damage :Smile_sceptic:

In WoWS it seems not to be the case and most people who stay in the back are on the lower end of the skillz spectrum (them being a majority probably being the main reason) but it's harder to check the good players in WoWS.

And you know what? When I got reported by the purples or when a purple had been wrong and perhaps had been toxic half the battle, not once did one chat to me post battle and say they were wrong or made a mistake, not even once... 

I guess being purple means one doesn't have to apologise to ordinary 52% winrate plebs like me :Smile_child:

To me admitting to be wrong is not due to being purple, but to being good character and I'd rather team with the latter :Smile_great:

I don't think that making a (mental) list of good players is a thing for me. I only know a couple streamers but it's rare to come across one (so far only Flambass and Jingles both once I think).

• Cool 1

Players
2,149 posts
13,026 battles

We deal with 2 types of situations

1. unforeseen real life things occasionally happens that require you to leave the keyboard (phone rings)

2. intentional repeated griefing which may or may not be what your DD did (maybe you were unlucky enough he had irl situations to deal with in both cases, although him not being really afk and makes that unlikely)

regarding 1: irl > game. It shouldn't happen often anyway and certainly should not be punished.

regarding 2: this should be punished.

Anyway it is just random battles, not a competitive mode (CW or ranked) so I personally have a pretty big tolerance for crap (just look at the missions WG throws our way)

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this