Sign in to follow this  
Redcap375

Chaps, I need some advice regarding the KIDD

9 comments in this topic

Players
1,537 posts
6,467 battles

Chaps, I never thought I would be in a DD thread :Smile_hiding: but needs must so going cap in hand.

I need some advice regarding the USS KIDD.  The only DD i have remotely wanted.

Why this DD then?

I like the look of it, it looks busy and up for a scrap.  It appears to be a "team player" kinda ship which i enjoying playing.  It's got heal and that AA is deadly for a CV ( I know, i hate them and love them when DIv with my Enterprise).  It's not a major torp ship which i cant get on with but it's good in a knife fight, well so I have heard.  I also need a US DD captain trainer.

I know some of you will be saying that going into tier 8 with a ship line i'm not great with, is a disaster waiting to happen.  But I'm a quick learner and really want to get into DD play after so long and as i didn't buying it last time, i had to have it this time.:cap_money:

DD's have always been "that" line for me.  I have dabbled in them but compared to the other lines, this one is still as foreign as they get.  

So.....Is there any advice you DD captains can give me before i sail this beauty out of the port to be put through it's baptism of fire? 

I am thinking of the following build:

Captain Skills:

PT, LS, BFT, SE,SI,DE and CE

Upgrades will be the norm but with AA range to bring those AA gun to a nice range without compromising concealment too much.

I think this is a great balance of Stealth, Tanky and AA.  Few questions i wanna pose:

1) Does SE make a massive difference, i.e enough to warrant 3 skill points?  I personally think it this to maximise that staying power within the game and help with that bad MM at tier 8. it's a good choice?

2) AFT? Would you bring those guns out further, is it worth it considering it's hard to hit at max range and get spotted earlier?Or that max AA range will help out more in the long run (the team)

3) Faster torp reload worth it at 3 points instead?  It's extremely slow to reload as it is, but will this make it slightly better?

Any more thoughts on captain skills?

Tips and tricks?  Is it a get into the Cap, smash and hold? Or play more passive in it until the time is right? Support the team more at the beginning?

Which DD's do you think i should be actively trying to kill and those to avoid?........

Think i will stop there :Smile_teethhappy:.  Plenty of questions but i don't want peoples fingers to burn down to nubs. 

Please feel free to look at my DD stats and give me any thoughts you might have.  Maybe i play too passive in them or too aggressive, don't spot or cap enough?

I really appreciate any help you chaps can give me.  DD's are so important in this game and don't wanna screw it up for the team.:Smile_teethhappy:

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,064 posts
6,701 battles

SE is the first 3 points skills you should take on any DD.

If anything I would probably remove DE for AR+PM in order to be even better at knifefighting. Or even give up SI+DE and add RPF and Adrenaline instead.

DE is good for farming damage on BBs. You don't need it to bully DDs. While AR gives a huge advantage the more you contest cap, and PM can prevents... unfortunates accidents.

SI will add more AA consumable and heal, which is good, but I think RPF and Adrenaline can be good options too.

• Cool 2

[MIRAI]
Players
1,122 posts
9,877 battles

I tried AFT on US DD once and I don't want to do it again but there are people who get these shell arcs working with AFT - personal choice. For Kidd (or other US DD with strong AA) it is of course an option to boost AA range, depends on how often you play in division with CV.

There are many (too many for 19 points...) good skills for Kidd so I think there are many good combinations. SE is a good pick on most DD because it can keep you alive longer and you can still smoke&spot while very low on HP. I think SI is no more a "must" pick as it was before the changes regarding visibility when firing from smoke but for Kidd is gives an additional heal which is quite useful. I would say improved torp reload is not worth it for ships with one launcher.

I didn't find my prefered combination yet, not sure if I want to use RPF on Kidd or have four three point skills instead.

• Cool 1

[MDF]
Beta Tester, Players
7 posts
7,721 battles

Hey, 

I think I just start with the build. I'd take PM, LS, SI, BFT,  AFT, CE and AR. Ofc. this depends on how much you queue with CV's, but from my experience this is a build in which you have enough survivability, AA-power and gunpower.

If you dont queue with a CV that often, I would replace BFT with SE and maybe AFT with RPF. Personally I have no issue with the arcs of AFT, but this depends on how much you play US-DD and how much you are used to them.

Torp-reload isn't worth it, because you just have one launcher.

To your other questions:

Try to cap, but be aware of the risks (radar, planes, other DD's outspotting you etc.). Disengage if needed and come back at a later point of the game. Stay alive and don't die in the first minutes! Also help your team (smoke up your mates, use your AA to protect them etc.). If you queue with a CV, communicate with him, let him spot the caps for you, so you get information etc.. With a bit of time, you'll get used to it.

At T8, you are able to figth almost every DD, except Aki and a smoke-hydro Lo Yang. Kiev is also a hard match, but you can figth him at close range. Just don't let him kite you. Thanks to your heal, you are capable of healing your HP back after a hard figth oder an unlucky torp hit. Other DD's at higher tiers are a different story. Look at their HP, think and then decide if the figth is worth it. Especially at T-10. But never rush a smoke-hydro Z-52 and shoot at a Khaba. Those will always beat you.

If you have any other questions regarding DD's feel free to ask :Smile_Default:

o7

• Cool 1

[-T-O-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,130 posts
5,893 battles

Players
258 posts
12,320 battles

I use my Clemson/Atlanta captain on the Kidd, specially when in div with a CV: PT, LS, BFT, SI, CE, AFT... last 2 points will go to AR.

For more of a cap contesting knife fighter I use my Fletcher or Gearing captains: PM, LS, SE, CE, RL, AR, TAE (if you want specifically for Kidd, I would drop TAE for SI or BFT)

[EUTF]
Players
76 posts

To answer your questions:

1) Yes, SE is worth it, but I would take SI first for extra heal and DFAA

2) Depends, AFT is not a must and it's down to personal preference. The problem is that you do not have skill points. 4 points are very valuable and AFT essentially is only good for extending your AA range from 6km to 7.2km. If you want to be very more AA focused, then take it. I personally didn't. I went for CE+RPF instead for hunting enemy DD.

3) No, Kidd only has one set of Benson torps, not worthy of 3 points.

My personal suggested captain build in the order of purchase would be : PM, LS, SI, CE,  RPF, SE and AR.

I know a lot people don't use RPF, but as a dedicated DD hunter, RPF is immensely valuable for such a task. You can swap it out for AFT or other skills such as BFT if you so wish. I definitely wouldn't, especially if you value team's success more than your personal success.

[AXIS]
Players
1,091 posts
2,419 battles
On 15-6-2018 at 12:00 PM, Redcap375 said:

:

1) Does SE make a massive difference, i.e enough to warrant 3 skill points?  I personally think it this to maximise that staying power within the game and help with that bad MM at tier 8. it's a good choice?

2) AFT? Would you bring those guns out further, is it worth it considering it's hard to hit at max range and get spotted earlier?Or that max AA range will help out more in the long run (the team)

3) Faster torp reload worth it at 3 points instead?  It's extremely slow to reload as it is, but will this make it slightly better?

Any more thoughts on captain skills?

Tips and tricks?  Is it a get into the Cap, smash and hold? Or play more passive in it until the time is right? Support the team more at the beginning?

Which DD's do you think i should be actively trying to kill and those to avoid?........

1 yes, massive difference. Especially with a dd that can heal as well. 

2 depending on what you want to do with your dd. If you want to kill planes, get aft. If you don't, get something better. In my opinion aft is a liability. It greatly increases your spotting range when shooting. The effective gun range of the usn dd's are just about 7-8km. The slow shells just arrive to late. And the range aft gets you means that even bb's can dodge most of your shells. 

3 I wouldn't. Torps aren't what it is known for. Using that skill is like teaching a fish how to climb a tree. 

Be careful when actively seeking a dd. It is really easy to over extend. And the high amount of radar and hydro on the higher tiers make it quite difficult to stay hidden when you get caught out of position. 

Players
1,537 posts
6,467 battles

Thanks for the advice chaps.

17 games in it so far and 11 wins. Most of them in higher tier too (tier 8 MM again :cap_tea:).

For a Player that doesn't do well in DD's i'm having a blast. it's durable, multi roles nicely, good spotter and supports friendly ships when required (smoking).

Love the knife fighting ability, busting other DD's up then heal most of the HE damage you received when sailing back out the cap.  I think its the most forgiving DD that I have played yet.

Left AFT out.  6 km AA range and DefAA has already netted me 22 planes max and hitting at distance like many have said is folly.

Don't know if we can say thing like this in this day and age, but it's a man man's ship :cap_viking:

Sign in to follow this