VC381

Something has gone wrong (Ibuki)

16 comments in this topic

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles

I consider myself a competent cruiser player at all tiers. So... spot the "red blip". I'm not entirely sure what's going wrong though. The ship feels fine to play, plays like Mogami with heal. It should be better but I can't put my finger on any specific thing about it that makes me ineffective. But game after game I feel it's all going OK then I look up and it's a loss. It's getting frustrating. More surprisingly, I have far better stats in the T8 cruisers despite the infamously bad T8 matchmaking that means e.g. Mogami and Ibuki should be ending up in the same games most of the time.

Please try to keep criticism constructive, I don't want an Ibuki-bashing thread or rants about buff requests. This is about how to squeeze the most out of the ship.

Any ideas? :Smile_amazed:

Capture.JPG

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
14,659 posts
10,873 battles

Sniping from a distance is good for damage, but bad for match influence.

Apart from the fact that the number of games are not really statistical relevant.

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles
2 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Sniping from a distance is good for damage, but bad for match influence.

Apart from the fact that the number of games are not really statistical relevant.

I don't even have the range fully unlocked, I'm mostly playing it at as I would the shorter ranged Atago/Mogami i.e. between 10 and 15 km.

What's a statistically relevant sample in your opinion? Atago is my most played ship, I only have 3 ships with over 100 games each. I usually make my mind up about a ship within a dozen games and my stats tend to be fairly "locked in" by ~50.

[CATS]
Players
14,659 posts
10,873 battles

Hard to say.

Subjectivly I would say 100 games.

Mathematicly it is probably around 500 games.

When you combine the stats of your other cruisers, the Ibuki clearly looks like an outlier. It is probably just bad luck with the teams or your division :Smile_teethhappy:

[TPB]
Players
26 posts
3,935 battles

You should always exclusively focus on things you can work on and improve, i.e. your gameplay

End result of the battle as such, is derived from multi factors mostly beyond your control so , being frustrated about them makes no sense

I would be more satisfied if I played well and my team losing, then winning and being last on the list. Actually these are the worst games for me, since I know I could have multiplied my exp points if I played well...

[CATS]
Players
14,659 posts
10,873 battles

Sometimes you play well and do not get much XP.

Had a game recently on north in Yugumo. Capped C despite radar cruisers on enemy team. Stayed in C and spotted half the enemy team on the north side and allowed my team to shoot enemy from behind cover.

I could not do much damage because of bad torp angles. And when our team got rid of radar, the enemy just fled and torping from behind does not work that well.

We won easily, but I ended up on the lower half of the scoreboard.

Could I have done more? Sure, but the win would have gotten harder or the match could have even ended in a loss without my spotting.

• Cool 1

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles
47 minutes ago, Muki321 said:

You should always exclusively focus on things you can work on and improve, i.e. your gameplay

End result of the battle as such, is derived from multi factors mostly beyond your control so , being frustrated about them makes no sense

I would be more satisfied if I played well and my team losing, then winning and being last on the list. Actually these are the worst games for me, since I know I could have multiplied my exp points if I played well...

This is true to an extent, but I do believe WR reflects overall gameplay. So I can be happy if I play well and lose sometimes when I couldn't do anything, but if overall I'm losing more then it means that feeling is false: I'm happy when I'm not actually doing as well as I think, and I can't tell where I need to improve.

[SCRUB]
Supertester
3,200 posts
3,228 battles

I told you. Ibuki's good for damage farming but for match influence she's extremely weak. Your armour doesn't hold out against anything but T7's, and even then you take monstrous amounts of HE damage. The armour is so bad in fact that you literally get randomly citadelled by any gun that is larger than 14". People used to complain that Pepsi was weakly armoured, well, this ship gets overmatched everywhere except for the main belt (which in turn is just thick enough to detonate fuses). 

Funny story actually: a Lion triple citadelled me with 16,5" HE one day. I don'T have the screenshot anymore (had a HDD failure in the meantime), but he knocked out my engine, rudder, two turrets, portside torp launchers, set 2 fires and caused ~25k alpha damage. Fun. I DCP'd and RP'd immediately, but I couldn'T get away in time and he stuck me with another 2 fires in 2 hits that killed me in short order.

Tried the ship in multiple configurations (stealth+rof, stealth+range, evasion+range), but just doesn'T work.

I tried playing Ibuki like an 8" Mogami with heal and better range or a better Atago, but it just doesn't work. Both those ships have thngs going for them that Ibuki just doesn't. I cn'T figur out what exactly because on paper they are pretty similar, but Ibuki just doesn't have that one good thing that makes it enjoyable or even good. 

• Cool 1

[TPB]
Players
26 posts
3,935 battles

sometimes you play well but end up in a losing streak. sometimes you play bad/above average and you end up winning game after game.

if you are saying you are happy with your performance but end up losing most of the times, maybe you should focus more on contribution to the team, rather then just farming damage. Not sure how good Ibuki is in this role (others say it is not) but you can at least give it a try. Flanking and distracting capital ships with HE fire, wall torpedoing caps, enemy advancing areas, etc. are all things I believe you could do with Ibuki to help your team win.

On 6/15/2018 at 12:10 PM, ColonelPete said:

Sometimes you play well and do not get much XP.

Had a game recently on north in Yugumo. Capped C despite radar cruisers on enemy team. Stayed in C and spotted half the enemy team on the north side and allowed my team to shoot enemy from behind cover.

I could not do much damage because of bad torp angles. And when our team got rid of radar, the enemy just fled and torping from behind does not work that well.

We won easily, but I ended up on the lower half of the scoreboard.

Could I have done more? Sure, but the win would have gotten harder or the match could have even ended in a loss without my spotting.

I think WG should somehow reward this kind of gameplay more. As it is currently, it is more beneficial to be selfish and just go for the kills/damage farming regardless of other actions that could make even  more influence on the total outcome of the battle. Currently individualism prevails over teamplay

[WGP2D]
Players
179 posts
10,472 battles

Ibuki is the worst T9 cruiser i've played so far. BB shells overmatch your armour everywhere except the small main belt and the guns/shells feel too weak for T9.

My best games were the ones with massive torp dmg when sneaking around islands :Smile_teethhappy:

Players
1,674 posts
9,118 battles
4 hours ago, Rick_Hunter said:

Ibuki is the worst T9 cruiser i've played so far. BB shells overmatch your armour everywhere except the small main belt and the guns/shells feel too weak for T9.

My best games were the ones with massive torp dmg when sneaking around islands :Smile_teethhappy:

This.

The most enjoyment I had of the boat was when hitting some sneaky torps. Preferably when they just extinguished some fires of course.

Otherwise it is a bad bad boat. Sure it has range, but the shell drag at +-15km and beyond is horrible. Armour is a joke, which is a problem in the 5BB meta. I prefer taking 155IFHE mogami in the exact same matchmaking over ibuki.

If you are able to, I'd say freexp it.

• Cool 2

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles
7 hours ago, piritskenyer said:

I told you. Ibuki's good for damage farming but for match influence she's extremely weak. Your armour doesn't hold out against anything but T7's, and even then you take monstrous amounts of HE damage. The armour is so bad in fact that you literally get randomly citadelled by any gun that is larger than 14".

So, I knew this going in and I spent some time in the armour viewer. That's also why I bring up the Atago/Mogami comparison. Ibuki is objectively better armoured than those. Having said that, I too notice taking surprising chunks of damage at weird angles. My conclusion is not citadels, but that the plating on the hull is thick enough to arm shells while the T8 ships just get overpens. This is a somewhat dumb consequence of the armour penetration model, where the better ship is really worse in practice. The heal doesn't seem to fully mitigate this tendancy to take damage, whereas on Atago it feels like you get more for your consumable, probably because you can heal a greater proportion of overpen damage than regular pen. I've done stupid things in Atago like had my rudder taken out 8km from a Yamato and sailed 2 full circles without getting splatted, I don't feel any confidence Ibuki could do that.

But as I said the discussion isn't about the ship.

It's possible I'm not being quite as aggressive. The thing is, despite the memetically bad MM of T8 I have to conclude T9 is worse, perhaps not in how frequently it sees T10, but just in having more T10s in the game more of the time. You end up on those really horrible top tier maps more often, and the games just feel much campier. It is making me work harder for the positioning. Well, I need to get through it anyway, will probably have ~80 games played total by the time I get Zao and then I'll see if the stats get redeemed.

1 hour ago, Saiyko said:

If you are able to, I'd say freexp it.

I wasn't even planning to buy it and play it in the first place... then I decided I need to save for Kronshtadt :Smile_coin:

Players
1,674 posts
9,118 battles
2 hours ago, VC381 said:

It's possible I'm not being quite as aggressive.

lol. If you go aggressive in it, let us know how that went :Smile_trollface:

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles
1 hour ago, Saiyko said:

lol. If you go aggressive in it, let us know how that went :Smile_trollface:

Probably jinxing myself here but...:Smile_great:

shot-18_06.15_21_45.02-0706.jpg.4b1930608b507bf2928a7f5c0f247757.jpg 

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,339 posts
5,189 battles

The Ibuki is the only ship in a long time that I actively did not want to play. After the fabulous Myoko and the squishy but fun 155 Mogami, you end up with something that don't get the proper firepower jump like the former and for some reason feels even squishier than the latter.

I don't really have any tips like the other posters already pointed out, the way I did it was to slap on the range mod and just bulldoze my way to the Zao and never look back.