Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
zengaze

Dtectection Info UI

16 comments in this topic

[CRU_]
Players
144 posts
5,648 battles

I think a useful improvement in the UI, would be to list or light up an icon, for each and every way you are currently detected. So Sonar Radar Body plane etc. Not much more to add except what does everyone else think

• Cool 6

[BLITZ]
Players
2,077 posts
9,136 battles
1 hour ago, zengaze said:

It would also be helpful if i could spell

Or edit

• Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[CRU_]
Players
144 posts
5,648 battles
15 minutes ago, SeeteufeI said:

Or edit

Nah i prefer to leave my mistakes in view, a habit from an old forum group i belonged to where you couldn't edit your posts so that you were accountable for them.

[PMI]
Players
2,397 posts
5,608 battles
6 minutes ago, zengaze said:

Nah i prefer to leave my mistakes in view, a habit from an old forum group i belonged to where you couldn't edit your posts so that you were accountable for them.

Aaaand, this is not that, and double posting is spamming so, you may want to double check that "policy".

It already tells you if you are detected via equipment-planes-ships.

Players
773 posts
12,279 battles

You're already told the way you're detected by the changing situational awareness icon (ship LoS, no extra elements; radar or hydro, bubble-like PPI screen added; planes, a plane added). Putting every single one of them as they're active, within the current form of the UI, is unfortunately something that has been discussed and discarded several times. It shouldn't be that difficult to implement, though, just a bit of layering images with alpha channel.

Apart from that, proposals have been made for splitting radar and hydro detection icons, and for changing the icon displayed in accordance to the strongest spotting you're in: currently, if you're visually spotted it overrides every other mean, but you may be inside somebody's radar range and he's using it (a stronger spotting device), so you'd want to know that instead of expecting to go into stealth after your guns' bloom is over or by smoking yourself.

Salute.

Players
265 posts
6,979 battles
11 hours ago, Juanx said:

Aaaand, this is not that, and double posting is spamming so, you may want to double check that "policy".

It already tells you if you are detected via equipment-planes-ships.

10 hours ago, Estaca_de_Bares said:

You're already told the way you're detected by the changing situational awareness icon (ship LoS, no extra elements; radar or hydro, bubble-like PPI screen added; planes, a plane added). Putting every single one of them as they're active, within the current form of the UI, is unfortunately something that has been discussed and discarded several times. It shouldn't be that difficult to implement, though, just a bit of layering images with alpha channel.

Apart from that, proposals have been made for splitting radar and hydro detection icons, and for changing the icon displayed in accordance to the strongest spotting you're in: currently, if you're visually spotted it overrides every other mean, but you may be inside somebody's radar range and he's using it (a stronger spotting device), so you'd want to know that instead of expecting to go into stealth after your guns' bloom is over or by smoking yourself.

Salute.

OP means something else/ even more: 

Suppose i, a Yamato (easily detected so makes a nice example), am laying in the following situation:

- In front of a radar ship, within radar range, and the enemy has his radar deployed even though he can see me straight (ship 1)

- Next to an island. On the other side of this island is a cruiser with hydro that detects me and a spotter plane that detects me (ship 2)

- Seen by the carrier that is laying two maps away because that is how Yamatos work, and his planes that are flying at 10.9km away (ship 3)

Now OP would like the following to show up (really neatly organised): 

Detected by ship 1 by surface detection

Detected by ship 1 by radar

Detected by ship 2 by hydro

Detected by ship 2 by spotter plane

Detected by ship 3 by surface detection

Detected by ship 3 by aerial detection

But a priority style of detection indicator is more practical and all of the prementioned is not necessary either. 

Why? Because i am spotted anyway in my yamato. 

And thatll go in any case. 

I think its a horrible idea. 

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,784 posts
10,685 battles
13 minutes ago, Isoruku_Yamamoto said:

Suppose i, a Yamato (easily detected so makes a nice example), am laying in the following situation:

- In front of a radar ship, within radar range, and the enemy has his radar deployed even though he can see me straight (ship 1)

- Next to an island. On the other side of this island is a cruiser with hydro that detects me and a spotter plane that detects me (ship 2)

- Seen by the carrier that is laying two maps away because that is how Yamatos work, and his planes that are flying at 10.9km away (ship 3)

Now OP would like the following to show up (really neatly organised): 

Detected by ship 1 by surface detection

Detected by ship 1 by radar

Detected by ship 2 by hydro

Detected by ship 2 by spotter plane

Detected by ship 3 by surface detection

Detected by ship 3 by aerial detection

But a priority style of detection indicator is more practical and all of the prementioned is not necessary either. 

I'm preeetty sure what he meant was just an option (maybe in Alternate Interface when you press ALT or something?) that lists

- spotted/proximity spotted

- detected by hydro

- detected by radar

- detected by plane

Not necessarily listing ways everybody spots you, that would just be unwieldy. Imagine the list for a BB that opens fire in open water. Well, maaaaybe a number of ships spotting you in each way might have some use but that would potentialy conflict with PT display.

However, it's hardly uncommon to see situations where a DD players (that's who really cares about these things) curse the current interface because they have no idea whether they are Radar-spotted or not. DDs have a reliable way to instantly (if they are moving away or, better yet, moving very slowly) break the line of sight. Problem is: when in range of working Radar/Hydro, this does nothing (or, worse, only serves to conceal the enemy from you, not the other way around). It's really frustrating that you have to guess (or if you're a god of numbers - count the seconds hoping that the enemy using Radar doesn't run the special Upgrades that make it longer than you expected).

Players
265 posts
6,979 battles
2 minutes ago, eliastion said:

I'm preeetty sure what he meant was just an option (maybe in Alternate Interface when you press ALT or something?) that lists

- spotted/proximity spotted

- detected by hydro

- detected by radar

- detected by plane

Not necessarily listing ways everybody spots you, that would just be unwieldy. Imagine the list for a BB that opens fire in open water. Well, maaaaybe a number of ships spotting you in each way might have some use but that would potentialy conflict with PT display.

However, it's hardly uncommon to see situations where a DD players (that's who really cares about these things) curse the current interface because they have no idea whether they are Radar-spotted or not. DDs have a reliable way to instantly (if they are moving away or, better yet, moving very slowly) break the line of sight. Problem is: when in range of working Radar/Hydro, this does nothing (or, worse, only serves to conceal the enemy from you, not the other way around). It's really frustrating that you have to guess (or if you're a god of numbers - count the seconds hoping that the enemy using Radar doesn't run the special Upgrades that make it longer than you expected).

Well even that specific problem is easily countered in destroyers, although it hurts a little. 

You stop shooting, you concentrate on dodging shells, after 20s (or even 0 if youre willing to use a smoke) you know if youre hydrod or radarred. 
If you are hydrod: sail away from the hydro

If you are radarred: sail away if possible, or find cover/ dodge and hold your breath till the radar wears off. 

As a regular DD player (too little lately, but still a solid 27% or something) i find these situations to be annoying, but you have to see them coming, anticipate them & i nearly always survive them... 

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,784 posts
10,685 battles
53 minutes ago, Isoruku_Yamamoto said:

You stop shooting, you concentrate on dodging shells, after 20s (or even 0 if youre willing to use a smoke) you know if youre hydrod or radarred. 
If you are hydrod: sail away from the hydro

Oh, yes

Problem: I don't know if I should use smoke to hide because I don't know if Radar is still in effect.

Solution: use it anyway and find out if you managed to hide or f*cked yourself over by only hiding your opponent instead

Brilliant! :Smile-_tongue:

Players
265 posts
6,979 battles
2 hours ago, eliastion said:

Oh, yes

Problem: I don't know if I should use smoke to hide because I don't know if Radar is still in effect.

Solution: use it anyway and find out if you managed to hide or f*cked yourself over by only hiding your opponent instead

Brilliant! :Smile-_tongue:

Come on, are you really saying that you never do this? You just lay back & take those shells?

Also, you can generally SEE which other ships are present, so you could know if you can be detected by radar, hydro etc. 

Stop whining & take my advise, or whine on but dont blame it on me. 

Players
773 posts
12,279 battles
4 hours ago, Isoruku_Yamamoto said:

[...]

True, OP meant what you wrote, and I agree it's too cumbersome, too much information for the player to sort out in the middle of the battle.

The current system of showing only one mark is better in that regard but needs the tweaking I mentioned, favouring detections by other means over the LoS one. As eliastion has discussed with you, the ships most affected by that due to their general role, concealment and disengaging measures are DDs, and due to the visual contact overriding everything else you don't know if/when a radar is active while you're within its range. As an example, I play radar Minotaur a lot and can get to a position in Sea of Fortune where I cover both B and C caps with quite some margin (around 100 to 400m further than the furthest cap border) while still undetected. Which means that any red DD that thinks he's safe after going unspotted inside of them will have a nasty surprise the moment I go active.

Salute.

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,784 posts
10,685 battles
2 hours ago, Isoruku_Yamamoto said:

Come on, are you really saying that you never do this? You just lay back & take those shells?

Also, you can generally SEE which other ships are present, so you could know if you can be detected by radar, hydro etc. 

Stop whining & take my advise, or whine on but dont blame it on me. 

But when I SEE that DM 8km behind me and I more or less know that she has used Radar, it's not all that simple to realize if it had already expired if I'm also shooting my guns - after all, I don't have a perfect timer in my head and even if I did have one, I wouldn't know what Upgrades the DM had mounted - and there's quite a lot of difference depending on presence on absence of one.

It's one thing to guess and take my chances - and another to have a UI that could actually provide me with the required information, that seems like something that should be provided (since we're getting the "spotted" notification along with an additional information if it's a Radar/Hydro, a plane or a ship) but isn't (since the types of detection overlay each other). I don't thing it would be big enough of a buff for DDs to make it problematic while the QOL improvement would be tremendous...

PS:

One more thing. Please, refrain from patronizing remarks based on your DD experience. Can I deal with these problems? I think I'm doing pretty ok, considering both my experience and results in DDs of Radar-facing tiers 8-10. But being able to deal with it doesn't mean that it isn't frustrating to find yourself lacking information that doesn't seem as much explicitly denied as... blocked by other information (information on being spotted by Radar being lost when the game informs you of being surface spotted). It's just irritating and yes, it probably did cost me a couple times when either I could've survived/saved some more hp but didn't or wasted a consumable (if not outright made the situation worse) by misjudging the Radar as already expired. Still, I don't think it would be a substantial buff to DDs - while being a very significant QOL improvement.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
3,207 posts
10,386 battles

I'd like a different icon for hydro & radar; and a priority for the used icons:

Radar > Hydro > Visual > Plane

• Cool 3

[CU]
Players
298 posts