Cluid

so how does that work then??

25 comments in this topic

[AX2OM]
Players
34 posts
257 battles

Im in the middle of a battle, I get a clear shot at a ship, so fire off torps, another player then sails into the path of my torps and I get the warning for it and turn pink, what a load of horse crap

• Funny 1
  • Angry 1

[ADRIA]
Players
4,211 posts
6,775 battles
2 minutes ago, Cluid said:

Im in the middle of a battle, I get a clear shot at a ship, so fire off torps, another player then sails into the path of my torps and I get the warning for it and turn pink, what a load of horse crap

Did you know you can move your mouse to look around? You hit your ally meaning you could see he's pretty much in your torp path

No ship can outrun torps that are launched in its MM spread, torps are always faster. So your torps catched up to and hit the ship, not the other way around

• Cool 4

[PUPSI]
Players
6,237 posts
Vor 21 Minuten, Cluid sagte:

what a load of horse crap

aye, always those guys that don't watch where and when they launch the their torps...

[OM]
Beta Tester, WoWs Wiki Team
3,435 posts
11,419 battles
Vor 23 Minuten, Cluid sagte:

Im in the middle of a battle, I get a clear shot at a ship, so fire off torps, another player then sails into the path of my torps and I get the warning for it and turn pink

this is

Vor 23 Minuten, Cluid sagte:

a load of horse crap

Players
1,429 posts
14,793 battles

Don't fire torpedoes from second line. The guys in first line have enough to worry about, they don't need your metal fishes from behind. You might try going to the first line yourself, it makes hitting much easier if you get as close to the enemy as you can.

• Cool 3

Players
260 posts
6,061 battles

They're your torps so it's your responsibility to make sure they don't endanger your team before you launch them.  Check your surroundings before you torp, in this case you would have noted your team mate crossing your path and waited till he was passed.

• Cool 2

[AX2OM]
Players
34 posts
257 battles

I'm not getting into a bun fight over this, the guy was behind an island, I had no idea he was there, I had a clear shot with no ships in sight what so ever, so unless they bring x-ray binos into the game, I'm pretty much not going to see these guys

• Bad 1

[PUPSI]
Players
6,237 posts
Vor 2 Minuten, Cluid sagte:

I had no idea he was there,

then don't ignore the minimap...

Vor 2 Minuten, Cluid sagte:

so unless they bring x-ray binos into the game, I'm pretty much not going to see these guys

again: MINIMAP!

• Cool 3

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
532 posts

I bet the guy who torped me from second line while I was caping in my smoke said the same.....he kemped in da smoke, me no see....why noob DD sit in my torp aim.....way I turn pink....unfair plane.....rapport.

[SPAM-]
Players
119 posts
9,414 battles

In this game, you're always responsible of your armaments.

It's YOUR job to make sure the path is clear. It's YOUR decision to fire or not.

Use your minimap carefully. It's here for this purpose.

Remember that when an ally is closer from the ennemy than you are, he also have way less information about them than you do.

It's YOUR job to anticipate what he's going to do, and if it's safe to fire or not. It's your torpedo and if you hit an ally... Well, it's your fault.

• Cool 1

Players
344 posts
1,465 battles

Hi OP.

Yes, it does feel bad to accidentally teamkill and get the penalty for it.

Thing is, though, as others have said, it's up to you to make sure your torps don't hit your allies. It's one of the skills everyone has to learn in this game. Basically, it just means integrating a check before launching your torps: are there allies between me and my target, or could an ally run into the path of my torpedoes before they run out of fuel? If the answer to either of those questions is 'yes', or if you're unsure, it's better not to launch until you can be sure it's safe.

Of course, mistakes will still happen, whether through miscalculation or, as in this case, not noticing the ally in question. Both of these become less likely as you improve your situational awareness – which is, again, something all players still need to work on after less than 200 games, and is always a work in progress anyway. In this case, you should have been able to see the ally's icon behind the island, and get some idea of their heading from the minimap. I know know how easy it is to tunnel-vision on the enemy, but these are the things to check before launching. The pink status has no effect if you don't do team damage again for a few battles, so I guess the best option is to take the situational awareness lessons of this incident and try to apply them.

• Cool 1

[GURKA]
[GURKA]
Players
1,756 posts
6,230 battles
1 hour ago, Cluid said:

I'm not getting into a bun fight over this, the guy was behind an island, I had no idea he was there, I had a clear shot with no ships in sight what so ever, so unless they bring x-ray binos into the game, I'm pretty much not going to see these guys

Well, are you watching all the time behind you, if a mate is torping towards your direction? Nobody does that, people watch forward to the enemy in general.

1. Don't torp, when an ally is somehow in front of you

- Use the minimap

- Look around

2. If you torp into the direction of a mate, use pings and chat to warn him

[UNICS]
Players
1,205 posts
15,010 battles
23 hours ago, Cluid said:

Im in the middle of a battle, realizing i only got to t4 and bought a warspite  even though i have no idea how to play,I get a little angry at my own incompetence and shot  torps at a ship 10km away in my Danae, then another competent player then sails into the path of my torps that had no chance of hitting the enemy anyway and I get the warning for it and turn pink, what a load of my back telling the truth

FTFY

Oh btw , hope you said sry to the player

• Funny 3

[ADRIA]
Players
4,211 posts
6,775 battles
4 hours ago, Cluid said:

the guy was behind an island

1) you see ship markers through islands, so you could see him there

2) minimap

2 hours ago, Pikkozoikum said:

are you watching all the time behind you, if a mate is torping towards your direction?

I tend to look for those more than for enemy torpedoes :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

[AX2OM]
Players
34 posts
257 battles

OK OK I made a mistake and f**ked up, and I apologise, guys, it won't happen again....lol

• Cool 2

[BABBY]
Beta Tester
1,403 posts

I do wish they'd make the proximity indicator for incoming torps trigger from much further away for allied ones, since they are marked and you can be aware of them as soon as your ally launches them if you happen to see them, but the game makes no effort to heighten your awareness when you're looking away. Thus, WG could resolve a lot of the TK problem without making the punishment system as punitive as they have.

• Cool 1

Players
1,329 posts
3,583 battles
13 hours ago, StringWitch said:

I do wish they'd make the proximity indicator for incoming torps trigger from much further away for allied ones, since they are marked and you can be aware of them as soon as your ally launches them if you happen to see them, but the game makes no effort to heighten your awareness when you're looking away. Thus, WG could resolve a lot of the TK problem without making the punishment system as punitive as they have.

I tend to find that my proximity indicator for ally torps activates 4-5km away from my ship, which is plenty of time to check that they aren't being aimed in my direction. Maybe it's just a feature of mostly playing destroyers that the same indicator range gives me plenty of time to dodge compared to other ship classes?:cap_hmm:

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,296 posts
7,544 battles
8 hours ago, HerrWilhelm said:

Play arty in world of tanks, there it is legit to fire from the 2nd line :Smile_teethhappy:

Back in the day I played arty you still had to watch your shots as you could just as well hit and kill allies just like the torpedos.

1 hour ago, Captain_LOZFFVII said:

I tend to find that my proximity indicator for ally torps activates 4-5km away from my ship, which is plenty of time to check that they aren't being aimed in my direction. Maybe it's just a feature of mostly playing destroyers that the same indicator range gives me plenty of time to dodge compared to other ship classes?:cap_hmm:

Usualy a DD captain is very experienced and trained in responding to the incoming torpedoalert and dodging them (becuase thats what we do very often) so it usualy isn't THAT bad.

But if there are by coincidence also enemytorps that trip the torpedo warning shortly before the "friendly" torps come in range or while in a heated gunfight with an enemy DD it can happen that I as a DD main notice the Torps from the other direction too late.

Sometimes when the game is lost anyways I also refuse to dodge even the most obvious of friendly torps.

In some special cases it is even impossible to dodge. I just renembered a special player that droped torps in my way from under 4 km distance which i barely evaded by killing my speed (not engaged in that moment) only to eat the whole second torpsalvo lanched at me as a sitting duck AFTER I dodged the first wave (he literally fired them after his other torps passed me and then had the balls to complain that I didn't dodge and have to look where i am sailing). You can image the "friendly" "consturctive" and "helpful" critisism of his playstyle I had for him afterwards...... :Smile_sceptic:

• Cool 1

[BABBY]
Beta Tester
1,403 posts
3 hours ago, Captain_LOZFFVII said:

5km is something on the order of 6-10 seconds of reaction time. No ship can react that quickly when you include not just rudder shift but speed, (de)acceleration, and turning circle, for a 'total reponse time' of 15+ seconds. The only time I've ever been able to avoid torpedoes purely on reaction without any prior positioning and prediction, or getting lucky with the enemy's spread essentially missing me anyway so I only have to move a few metres, is with RN cruisers' super acceleration.

In my experience friendly torps often come when busy shooting and being shot at, lowering reaction ability. Sometimes while trying to avoid enemy torps I turn into friendly ones, hear the beeping, and rudder is already over in the opposite direction I now need and there's nothing I can do. Usually second line torps come in from directions where you'd have to manoeuvre a lot to get into their path, hence people come to the forums complaining about the guy who suddenly turned or accelerated into them like a moron, solely because they weren't warned about them early enough. This tends to make them especially difficult to avoid for the victim, who has just committed to a defensively unfavourable manoeuvre.

With a DD it's generally easier to avoid friendly torps, but you're also more likely to get them shot at you.

With a CR you have just the right mix of manoeuvrability and lack of torpedo protection to get really messed over.

With a BB you can generally ignore it and take the hit anyway; I've never been too fussed about friendly torps while playing them.

Players
1,329 posts
3,583 battles
5 minutes ago, StringWitch said:

5km is something on the order of 6-8 seconds of reaction time. No ship can react that quickly when you include not just rudder shift but speed, (de)acceleration, and turning circle, for a 'total reponse time' of 15+ seconds.

I think your calculations are a tad off, as pretty much all cruisers from T4 up have Hydro with minimum 4km range and seem to do well enough at dodging torps with it.

Actually, the 6-8seconds is entirely dependant on the actual speed of the torpedoes. Shimakaze's 20km slooooooooow fishies can be detected from around 2.7km and when you see them you have looooooaaaaads of time to dodge (in a DD, at least).

Players
2 posts

Can someone Direct me to a topic on whether you can play on 2 servers. I had an eu account but un installed to play with friends on NA server... Is it possible to play both? Please answer or re direct me... Never used forums before, Many thanks 

[OM]
Beta Tester, WoWs Wiki Team
3,435 posts
11,419 battles
Vor 31 Minuten, Haggis_destroyer sagte:

Can someone Direct me to a topic on whether you can play on 2 servers. I had an eu account but un installed to play with friends on NA server... Is it possible to play both? Please answer or re direct me... Never used forums before, Many thanks 

Yes, you can. You need a different account for each server but you can even use the same mail address.

To change servers, you have to either download each client or take the easier solution with the Realms Tool.

DL: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1qhwInKrvwaIrf1FCZZYMHPTF2nziS_o1

src: https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/160706-how-does-a-fella-get-on-another-server/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-3805720

real src: https://forum.worldofwarships.ru/topic/103154-all-wows-realms-tool-переключение-на-серверы-ru-eu-na-или-asia/

Just put it in the folder where you installed WoWs and execute it to change server. (close game first of course, then start it after the change)

I'm using it myself and can confirm it works.

Players
1,149 posts
9,034 battles
Am 13.6.2018 um 19:50, Cluid sagte:

another player then sails into the path of my torps and I get the warning for it and turn pink, what a load of horse crap

Working as intended.

YOU are responsible for your torps. You need to understand the implications of the fact that nothing short of an island will stop them once they leave your launcher, until they run out.

Therefore generally best never torp "from the second row".

Players
2 posts
On 6/22/2018 at 4:05 PM, Commander_Cornflakes said:

Yes, you can. You need a different account for each server but you can even use the same mail address.

To change servers, you have to either download each client or take the easier solution with the Realms Tool.

DL: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1qhwInKrvwaIrf1FCZZYMHPTF2nziS_o1

src: https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/160706-how-does-a-fella-get-on-another-server/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-3805720

real src: https://forum.worldofwarships.ru/topic/103154-all-wows-realms-tool-переключение-на-серверы-ru-eu-na-или-asia/

Just put it in the folder where you installed WoWs and execute it to change server. (close game first of course, then start it after the change)

I'm using it myself and can confirm it works.

I can log into both servers with the same details.... Don't need a new user name on either but the dam test server won't let me join it with same credentials... Thanks for answering me :)