Sign in to follow this  
Mr_Burke

BB HE, HE everywhere

22 comments in this topic

Players
261 posts
3,662 battles

What is going on with this trend here?

In my last 6 mid tier matches, all enemy BB's shooting nothing but HE......

Last match: I'm in fuso. Kongo shooting HE against me, New Mexico shooting HE against me. I was full broadside to'em.

The match before that, scharnhorst shooting HE on enemy targets, regardless of distance and angle.

Is it the cancerous royal BB line, that have created this trend?

Maybe I should jump on the train. And forget about my tasty citidal hits, and do HE only. But then I'll be no better.

If you believe the royal BB is to blame for this HE party, do you believe WG all is good?

Also question: About AA firing and secondary firing. Does your ship angle depends how much AA / secondary that can fire at once?

• Cool 1

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,417 posts
13,838 battles
4 minutes ago, Mr_Burke said:

Average player is becoming more and more braindead.

4 minutes ago, Mr_Burke said:

Does your ship angle depends how much AA / secondary that can fire at once?

No / Yes.

AA is a bubble that always fires with full force.

Secondaries have gun angles just like your main guns.

• Cool 2

[CATS]
Players
14,708 posts
10,879 battles
6 minutes ago, Mr_Burke said:

Last match: I'm in fuso. Kongo shooting HE against me, New Mexico shooting HE against me. I was full broadside to'em.

The match before that, scharnhorst shooting HE on enemy targets, regardless of distance and angle.

Maybe I should jump on the train. And forget about my tasty citidal hits, and do HE only. But then I'll be no better.

If you believe the royal BB is to blame for this HE party, do you believe WG all is good?

Also question: About AA firing and secondary firing. Does your ship angle depends how much AA / secondary that can fire at once?

Feel lucky that they are shooting HE and not citadelling your broadside with AP.

• Cool 2

[MERCS]
Players
39 posts
5,199 battles

Funny all the time, BB's shooting HE, last time was in my own BB brawling 2 higher tier BB's, almost full HP both, they were shooting HE only and because of that I had the chance to sink em both, lol.

And yeah, they can't shoot through the ship, lol.

Edit: Oh, thought AA too, always turn broadside to planes when can't get citalled, lol, always thought more guns were firing.

[SCRUB]
Supertester
3,200 posts
3,240 battles
54 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Feel lucky that they are shooting HE and not citadelling your broadside with AP.

I'd rather they'd use AP. You can angle against AP.

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
14,708 posts
10,879 battles

That is the point, he was not angling.

And when the target angles, it is usually the best choice shoot HE, unless you know that you can overmatch the bow (which needs pefect hits).

[SCRUB]
Supertester
3,200 posts
3,240 battles
8 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

That is the point, he was not angling.

And when the target angles, it is usually the best choice shoot HE, unless you know that you can overmatch the bow (which needs pefect hits).

No, it's not the point, that just accentuates his point. His point being that everyoneand their mother nowadays fires HE from BB's which is really really annoying. Stating that he was broadside only accentuates the stupidity of people mindlessly spamming HE when they could potentially have much better results with AP.

But no. Since the introduction of the RNBB's everyone fires HE from BB's because that's how people work. It's quite annoying frankly, as it completely negates all kinds of considerate play. KGV is probably the worst offender of all, I mean taking 12k damage salvoes regardless of angle and being double fired is quite frequent. 

It's disgusting really.

[CATS]
Players
14,708 posts
10,879 battles

If you angle, smart players shoot HE. Or do you shoot AP at every angled target?

You are complaining that some people are stupid and do not take advantage to shoot AP when you show broadside?

You should remember that this allows you to use more guns with less risk of getting citadeled and HE in itself does less damage than AP.

Take advantage of their weakness.

[ADRIA]
Players
4,231 posts
6,782 battles

Technically the trend seems to be slowly dissipating over the last half-a-year, as the amount of potatoes spamming HE seems to be going down.

Single HE salvo against your broadside may just mean that they had it loaded for the previous salvo, or it was intended for some other ship that is no longer spotted / is in cover. If they keep shooting it, even if you give them your side - as annoying as it is, be happy about it, bcuz they are noobs. AP would have done more dmg to you

As for Scharn - he has pretty low caliber guns (283mm), so HE is a bit more understandable in that case. AP would still be better against broadside tho

1 hour ago, Mr_Burke said:

AA - angle is irrelevant, they always fire at the plane in their range (but each "aura" can shoot no more than 1 plane at any time). Angle your ship to take the minimal damage, it won't impact your AAs performance

Secondaries - same as your main battery turrets they need to be able to traverse towards the target to shoot. Too shallow angle and fewer (or even none) of your secondaries will fire.

Players
2,348 posts
6,672 battles
3 hours ago, Mr_Burke said:

3 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

This is how I see things. Instead of complaining about bad players who have either poor ammo choices or happened to have HE loaded at the time, why not just farm their hapless xp pinatas so you progress faster? :Smile_medal:

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,417 posts
13,838 battles
1 hour ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Technically the trend seems to be slowly dissipating over the last half-a-year, as the amount of potatoes spamming HE seems to be going down.

Really? In my experience it is actually getting worse.

Had a game today in which literally all 10 BBs were shooting HE.

[W-C]
Players
425 posts
1,779 battles
16 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:

AA - angle is irrelevant, they always fire at the plane in their range (but each "aura" can shoot no more than 1 plane at any time). Angle your ship to take the minimal damage, it won't impact your AAs performance

Not really on topic here... but if no fear of incoming fire, turn broadside to DB's, bow on (turn into, and keep turning) to TB's - evasion so you minimise damage from the planes too :Smile_teethhappy:!

• Cool 1

Players
261 posts
3,662 battles

You cant do anything against HE. I just got out of an battle in my fuso. 14km away, a clan of 2 people in their BB's appeared. They shot HE only. A october revolution and a kongo. They cooked me alive. I had constantly 3 fires on me the whole time. While I dealt between 2k up to 8k AP salvo.

[CATS]
Players
14,708 posts
10,879 battles

If you get hit, you get damage.

You either try to get hit less often or not at all by using cover.

[ADRIA]
Players
4,231 posts
6,782 battles
39 minutes ago, Mr_Burke said:

You cant do anything against HE. I just got out of an battle in my fuso. 14km away, a clan of 2 people in their BB's appeared. They shot HE only. A october revolution and a kongo. They cooked me alive. I had constantly 3 fires on me the whole time. While I dealt between 2k up to 8k AP salvo.

OR has absolutely terrible AP until it gets point blank from you, it struggles even against tier 5s. It's one of those ships where you just expect them to fire HE.

Kongo - If you angled even a bit against him there's nothing else he can do. Alternatively he was firing HE to supplement his div-mates fires. But again - in that case if you were giving them broadside Kongo would have done far more with AP

And as for you not killing them - that's more up to you and your aim.

14km (and presumably closing in?) is not too bad of a range for Fuso to fight at. Unlike what happens when they are firing at you - they can't angle against you. Your AP overmatches their 19mm bow, so you wreck them while they are angled, and if they turn their side - you are more than capable of citadelling and deleting them.

Also don't repair the 1st fire they get on you, wait until you have at least 2 before you trigger that R

19 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

If you get hit, you get damage.

You either try to get hit less often or not at all by using cover.

BB isn't a Cruiser, you know

Not getting hit is what potatoes do at the map border behind everyone, if you are closer than they - it's not going to work.

Using cover? Can't use smoke as cover (I mean - it covers enemies, but that's not the direction I'd like that to go in), and pretty much all BBs are far too high to hide behind any island that they can fire over, especially if it comes to something like a Fuso with a skyscraper mounted on the deck.

• Bad 1

Players
1,542 posts
6,477 battles

Horses for courses.  AP doesn't solve it all and nor does HE.  You have to weigh up all the factors in any engagement.  HE is simple constant damage.  AP is a gamble, but pays out dividends when right .

Team play is completely different as they are using teamwork to beat the enemy in question, so your Fuso.  "Fire on,  fire off, fire on" tactic is nasty , especially when you have two conqs doing it.  If your angling against 2 ships then off course they are going to HE spam you to death (depending on the shells they fire) as they will strip the HP off you quicker than an angled BB with AP.  Unless he is in a NC or Alabama ect that doesn't need to HE spam you because he can cause massive AP damage to you (fuso) even bow on, straight through your deck.

Plus they know that they are going to do constant damage between them against one ship.  Using AP can be a gamble against good captains that know their stuff.  And your talking about a Kongo and October, both of which wont do that much if you angle against their AP.

They are actually being smart and using the correct Ammo for the situation.  They could have been crap and shown their broadside at any point for your AP....But it sounds like they didn't so made your AP redundant  Sometimes you load AP waiting that that torp Turn or mistake...But sometimes that never comes and HE would have been better in the long run.

Saying all this they both could be noobs and did it because... :Smile_teethhappy: but "double team HE spam" is a tactic.  We use the tools given to us.

What they should be doing is smacking other broadside targets with AP using the Mini map  But if your their only target then....Get the marshmallows out.

1 hour ago, Mr_Burke said:

While I dealt between 2k up to 8k AP salvo.

That's Fuso guns for you.  GREAT cruiser killing guns but pants against angling BB's.  Disengage and become invisible or kite with HE spam if they chase.   Fuso AP is still great against tier 6 BB's broadsides. 

[CATS]
Players
14,708 posts
10,879 battles

When you sail away, you increase distance. When the enemies follow, they sail into the fire of your team. If there is no fire, you are out of position.

Islands give you time. Time to regain cooldowns, time to heal, time to angle differently. The enemy ships might even select a new target and ignore you when you pop up again.

But these are basics. Why do I even have to explain that?

Players
261 posts
3,662 battles
26 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

When you sail away, you increase distance. When the enemies follow, they sail into the fire of your team. If there is no fire, you are out of position.

Islands give you time. Time to regain cooldowns, time to heal, time to angle differently. The enemy ships might even select a new target and ignore you when you pop up again.

But these are basics. Why do I even have to explain that?

No islands to cover from. Team hidding behind me and not pushing in.

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles

Firing HE only is a sub-optimal tactic for basically any non-RN BBs. There are some BBs that benefit from firing HE some of the time, and some situations where enemy BBs firing HE at you can be really frustrating, but overall if someone is doing this you can usually breathe a sigh of relief that you are dealing with a noob and carry on. If you get messed up in a situation because you expected the enemy BB to only fire AP, then you can't complain if the enemy made a valid tactical choice. If you're genuinely complaining about BB HE spam because you think everyone doing it is too strong... I'm not sure what to say.

Beta Tester
1,341 posts
5,207 battles

This might sound stupid, but since the Moskva buff and the soon to be Stalingrad, surely the German BB's in particular should be "sanctioned" to spam HE at them? An angled Stalingrad or Moskva is extremely resistant to AP, but that 50 mm plating means jack vs the German 1/4 HE pen.

Might test this when I can in a training room. 

Sign in to follow this