• Make her nimble and quick
  3. 4. Suffren speed

• Non-issue
    • 15% speed boost
    • 20% speed boost
  4. 5. Suffren armament

• Torps + weakish AA
    • No torps + stronger AA

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/24/2018 at 10:00 PM

6 comments in this topic

[SCRUB]
Supertester
3,200 posts
3,228 battles

Hi guys,

Today, as the title says, we're gonna talk about premium cruiser options. There are two tiers I want to talk about, one T4 and one T7. Now note that this isn't a writeup (yet), as I have limited time today, but rather a little probing for opinion thread, where I will outline the main issue with both ships and ask for your opinions. Note that I'm also going to centre my ideas around gameplay.

Tier IV:

Jeanne d'Arc

This ship was a training crusier fitted out to make her able to carry out combat duties. Largely similar to the Duguay-Trouin class but slower and armed with fewer TT's.

Spoiler

%D0%9A%D1%80%D0%B5%D0%B9%D1%81%D0%B5%D1%

Her main issue:

Slow speed of 25 kts standard and 27,8 trials. That's slow for a cruiser. Not unheard of (see Katori), but not exactly advantageous. With a Sierra Mike that is 26,25 and 29,19 respectively.

Possible solutions:

• Leave it be
  • Prop up speed to 29 base - I don't really like this one to be honest.
  • Give her trials speed and +20% speedboost consumable - this is the idea I'm thinking of, comes out with a max straight line speed of 33,36kts and 35,03 with Sierra Mike
  • Give her standard speed and +20% speedboost consumable - this comes up to a maximum speed of 30 kts or 31,5 with flag.

Secondary issue:

Her torpedo armament was dismounted when she was being refitted by the allies in favour of more AA. 

Which one do you prefer:

• Torpedoes (2x3 - 1x3/side) and weakish AA
  • No torpedoes and Western Allies strong AA

As @JapLance pointed out that was 2x1 torp tube, so it's pointless to keep them, really...

Tier VII:

Suffren

Suffren was a pre-Algerie treaty heavy cruiser armed with 4x2x 8"/50 and 2x3x 550mm torpedo tubes. She was the only one of her class not to be scuttled at Toulon, she's been modernised by the Allies during the war.

Spoiler

French_heavy_cruiser_Suffren_in_Hampton_

Issue n°1:

She isn't very well armoured. 60mm main belt...

Possible solutions:

• Low,  small or possibly split citadel - She had unit machinery, which was supposed to make her more survivable
  • Repair - *cringe* I don't even like to think about this, but maybe
  • Let the protection be what it'll be and just make her nimble and quick, which is an issue because...

Issue n°2:

She isn't the fastest ship either, 31 kts or 32,55 with flag.

Possible solutions:

• That's not an issue
  • Algerie's +15% speedboost for a total of 35,65kts or 37,43 with flag - my personal favourite
  • The tier 8-X's +20% speedboost for a total 37,2kts or 39,09 with flag

Issue n°3

Same as with Jeanne d'Arc: During refit her torps were landed and she recieved a metric arseton of light and medium AA

Question:

• Torps + weakish AA
  • No torps + stronger AA

If you have any ideas that I didn't think of, feel free to comment them.

• Cool 2

Players
404 posts
3,247 battles

I like the look of both of these. The better AA and no torpedoes sets these ships apart from the tech tree cruisers. If Joanne d'Arc had torpedoes, she would be quite similar to Duguay Trouin, so the better AA and speed boost would make her a little different. I think the trial speed can be used - There are other ships that take advantage of this (I think Tashkent is one of them). However, a slower top speed may balance out the fact it has some of the strongest AA at its tier. It all depends how agile she is.

Suffren looks cool too. Once again, post-refit is the best, so it doesn't play too much like Algerie. Maybe the base speed should be quite slow, but then the speed boost could be quiet potent. This would allow it to kite and hunt DD's effectively as long as the player knows how to use their consumables. Does Suffren get the spaced armour around the citadel? that 60mm makes me worry a little bit. If even a bit of broadside is shown to any DD (even Japanese ones) and you will start eating citadels. Hopefully the spaced armour will prevent this. I'm not keen on split citadels, as I think that was the main cause of rage for many folks when they faced the Cleveland in the Beta tests. The last thing we need is the forums turning toxic over some "OP" premium that just gets overpenned. 

Anyway, another great proposal @piritskenyer, keep it up! :Smile_honoring:

Beta Tester
5,054 posts
2,939 battles
4 hours ago, piritskenyer said:

Western Allies strong AA

"Western" yeah, Sweden and Switzerland are so far west of France xD

[SCRUB]
Supertester
3,200 posts
3,228 battles
12 minutes ago, LastButterfly said:

"Western" yeah, Sweden and Switzerland are so far west of France xD

Yeah, well, the US and UK built and used most of the guns, so... 

[PKTZS]
Weekend Tester
2,408 posts
14,615 battles

Since Jeanne d'Arc torpedo armament was 2x1 550mm (not 2x3), I'd say they can be removed without hurting the ship too much. But 10 Bofors and 18 Oerlikons (+ the original 4x 75mm) seems a bit overkill AA at tier 4.

[SCRUB]
Supertester
3,200 posts
3,228 battles
1 hour ago, JapLance said:

Since Jeanne d'Arc torpedo armament was 2x1 550mm (not 2x3), I'd say they can be removed without hurting the ship too much. But 10 Bofors and 18 Oerlikons (+ the original 4x 75mm) seems a bit overkill AA at tier 4.

I have no clue how I missed that. In any case, it's a very good point, basically nullifying the armament question...