You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Excavatus

French BB line pointers

46 comments in this topic

[DAVY]
Players
1,139 posts
5,166 battles

Hello gents,

I've just researched a little (and cant find much - didn't actually researched the forum that much though),

I am seing that Lyon with 16 guns.. and that thing sparkles in my eyes.

But as a not so eager BB captain, I am thinking about the french line.

I've watched some of the videos about the line, but I believe the most valuable piece of information for me and people like me,

who are thinking about the line is the experience from the people who actually plays them regularly.

The thing is, after tier 8, gun number and gun placement looks not so good In my totally subjective opinion.. (tier 8 only 2 bow turrets, tier 10 only 2 turrets in total!)

Can the captains who has the line, give some pointers? what to expect? what are the general chars of the line?

the play style? strong and weak points?

Thanks!

[CATS]
Players
14,680 posts
10,879 battles

The playstile changes a lot over the Tiers.

Tier III to V slow BB with good gun range and average toughness

Tier VI to VIII are very mobile and feel like Battlecruisers.

The Lyon is indeed very strong.

The guns are generally not that accurate.

[BYOB]
Players
3,073 posts
11,044 battles

Just to add what @ColonelPetesaid:

-Up to and including T5 the ships are rather average and play like other super-dreadnaughts.

-At T6 you have a fast 4x3 BB with good secondaries but bad AA. The dispersion is bad but you fire 12 barrels at the enemy. A dedicated secondary build is quite trollish.

-T7 has great AA, if you want to keep it a dedicated AA/stealth captain is a must. You also have weak sides and need to watch out for fires and HE damage.

-Starting from T8 you have speed boost, so you can get into a good crossfire position. Also, the secondary range is really good on them, but you need IFHE to make it more than just a side show.

[-T-O-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,138 posts
5,909 battles

Richelieu is shite, eats a lot of dmg by HE like any french BB, guns omg the guns are so bad that you can't hit a BB 8 km away. However Alsace is amazing. 

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
Players
2,727 posts
7,383 battles

I just bought T8.

Since I dont own Dunquack im kinda lost (tho played only 1 game yesterday).

Any pointers? 

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,684 posts
9,234 battles

The amount of guns and turret configuration may change, but the playstyle past the T3-5 slowpokes remaines similar: hit and run.

You find a small group of enemies, engage them while getting closer, then disengage if things start getting too hairy or if you win.
You have the speed for it, so you can often choose your own battles and retreat to always have a good supply of hp. Additionally, the armor works great for it since when well angled at ranges above 10km, you can manage to mitigate most if not all citpens, and a lot of regular pens.

The T8 is an oddity since you're tempted to bow tank with it, but the hit and run gameplay culminates with the T9 Alsace, which is absolutely crushingly powerful when allowed to play that way.

As a point of note, you should see good secondaries, and some people like to make them work.
I think that it's a mistake.
Secondaries work because you give them time to work. You don't want to give them time to work, because during that time, you're getting hammered with HE, and it quickly becomes a net lose for you.
The captain skill requirement for a working secondary build is also incredibly hefty, needing 14 points just to get them firing quickly and at long range, leaving you with only 5 points for survival, something which you desperatly need on a ship prone to HE damage.

6 minutes ago, nambr9 said:

I just bought T8.

Any pointers? 

Angle just enough to get people to stop using HE and start being tempted to use AP.
Get in close enough that your mediocre DPM and awful accuracy is mitigated, but always with a retreat plan such as an island you can reverse behind. 

Never be the main tanky BB of a skirmish, aka always play with the team. Act like an oversized CA when fighting groups of enemy, and switch back to BB mode when you know you can completely bully the enemy.

That playstyle is exactly the same as the Dunkek, with the added bonus of nothing short of the Yammie/Musashi being able to lolpen you though the bow.

• Cool 1

[BYOB]
Players
3,073 posts
11,044 battles
1 minute ago, nambr9 said:

I just bought T8.

Any pointers? 

Get the better hull first. Changes the ship a lot.

You don't want to sit still in this ship. Always try to go for a  flank, you have the speed and the ability to angle, so that once in place you will become a potent threat.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
2,727 posts
7,383 battles
3 minutes ago, Aragathor said:

Get the better hull first. Changes the ship a lot.

You don't want to sit still in this ship. Always try to go for a  flank, you have the speed and the ability to angle, so that once in place you will become a potent threat.

Naturally I fxpd everything but the gun range upgrade (thats what I normally do).

If I get you ... I should not bow-tank in this. Also I did not take AA module, instead I took dispersion mod. Thoughts?

[SCRUB]
Players
7,299 posts
9,535 battles

The french line of baguette botes is wonky.

Many people ogle the Lyon and think to themselves "yay 16 guns, woohoo" but I found the Lyon to be woefully overrated. That thing's whole shtick is just throw enough shells at the enemy and some of them will hit. Emphasis on the some because I can't remember that I ever hit more than ~8 shells on a target, that includes up close brawling where RNG still somehow managed to have half my volley dump into the water or fly God knows where off target.

Richelieu at tier VIII is imho a solid improvement over the Lyon, simply because the guns are actually a good deal more consistent (not great, but at least consistent). But the line really, REALLY shines with the Alsace.

12 guns and a hell of a lot more accurate than what you've been playing with up until that point on this BB line. The Alsace is a pure joy to play and I quite frankly would be totally satisfied if it were the actual tier X, the ship is that good (yes, even with only 380mm caliber!).

The Republique is an odd progression from the Alsace (but well, the french BB line does whatever it wants anyway) with only 2x4 turrets and the front and aft turret configuration, but I can say it's a pretty damn strong ship even after singing the Alsace's praises. The main battery configuration is actually no big concern. The firing angles are very good and the turret traverse is good aswell. As for the guns themselves, the reload is extremely good at ~21 seconds with the reload upgrade, the guns are VERY accurate (almost Yamato level) and the AP penetration is nothing that has to hide behind any of the other tier Xs. The 431mm caliber also means it can overmatch 30mm plating which gives it an added punch with being able to overmatch several cruiser decks that could otherwise autobounce other BB AP.

So yeah, the line definately takes a steep rise at tier IX (where imho the sheer funfactor peaks at the Alsace) and once again shifts gameplay a bit at tier X. Before that it's literally hit and miss.

• Cool 1

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,076 posts
6,718 battles

République is an amazing ship.

I know very good player that uses a secondary build on it, but I don't like it. It requires perfect positioning and you need AFT-Manual secondaries-CE to makes it works, which means a 18 points captain.

However, a more classical survivability build does wonder. The guns aren't very accurate, but they hurts a lot and reload very quickly. They also turns quite fast, the ship is very agile and fast, and the secondaries, even without being specced into them, does the job well at closer range.

However, as much as I like République, I don't think it's a good choice for a first tier 10 BB. Montana plays somewhat similar and is much easier to learn and handle.

[JRM]
Players
943 posts
13,454 battles

Up to t6 they are average at best, t6 and espetially t7 are fast multi barelled cruiser killers ie battlecruisers and small in size for a bb so u will be missed alot by distant snipers, t8 is similar to dunk in looks only since its a good and workable bow tank with that 32mm plate that isn’t overmatched as easy as dunqs it has decent secs 2 if i Like that sort of thing (bowtanking doesn’t mean sitting in the back and snipespamming tho or u re usless for the team) alzace i didn’t play but its basically another fast multibarreled cruiser killer, republique is well - odd plays sort of Like the mix of Iowa and  kurfurst, fast and maneouverable for a t10bb u get in do damage both with primaries and secondaries and get out u shoulndn Go for Full sec specs tho its not worth it its secs have great fire chance its enough to extend the range to 12+ km for them to be usefoul

Players
2,743 posts
15,593 battles
49 minutes ago, Excavatus said:

Hello gents,

I

the play style? strong and weak points?

Thanks!

they are all* meh to crap  but the Republique which is awesome!

dont be fooled by the 16-12 gun fanboys....

(*rich is more fun than expected but woud need eitehr a acc buff or a reload buff)

if you dont plan on grinding the T10 dont

but if you do the T10 is worth it.

not the most competetive(CW) T10 BB but the most fun one 

a verry good beginners line for BB's is the IJN
2nd best beginners line is the USN (only frustrating cause up to T8 they are snails) 

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,684 posts
9,234 battles
3 minutes ago, Aotearas said:

12 guns and a hell of a lot more accurate than what you've been playing with up until that point on this BB line. The Alsace is a pure joy to play and I quite frankly would be totally satisfied if it were the actual tier X, the ship is that good (yes, even with only 380mm caliber!).

Same.
If it were given a 28s base reload speed and a bit more hp, it would totally be a great T10.

The République has points of interest, but the Alsace is just overall a much more solid ship.
It's faster, more agile, better acceleration, has better burst damage (142k per salvo over 116k for the République), no worse DPM (285k for Alsace vs 290k for République) , better concealment, and can have 8 guns on target while at autobounce angles, better chances to actually hit because of 12 guns, and to top it all off, because of the lower caliber and lower shell weight, you tend to have less overpens on less armored targets.

[SCRUB]
Players
7,299 posts
9,535 battles
4 minutes ago, Exocet6951 said:

Same.
If it were given a 28s base reload speed and a bit more hp, it would totally be a great T10.

The République has points of interest, but the Alsace is just overall a much more solid ship.
It's faster, more agile, better acceleration, has better burst damage (142k per salvo over 116k for the République), no worse DPM (285k for Alsace vs 290k for République) , better concealment, and can have 8 guns on target while at autobounce angles, better chances to actually hit because of 12 guns, and to top it all off, because of the lower caliber and lower shell weight, you tend to have less overpens on less armored targets.

Aye.

On the other hand, I keep devastating battleships with the Republique and it's fun! We should just have both at tier X.

[BYOB]
Players
3,073 posts
11,044 battles
13 minutes ago, nambr9 said:

Naturally I fxpd everything but the gun range upgrade (thats what I normally do).

If I get you ... I should not bow-tank in this. Also I did not take AA module, instead I took dispersion mod. Thoughts?

There's nothing more free than the HP of a Richelulz sitting still while you are driving an HE spammer. You also invite a lot of torps. When moving you can do really crazy things if you combine the Sierra Mike signal with speed boost.

The dispersion mod changes the max dispersion by 20m. You can take it, but the AA module is better as it offers 700m extra on your medium aura, and that's what will save you if you see TBs.

• Cool 1

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,076 posts
6,718 battles

I found Alsace quite frustrating sometimes. The 380mm really lacks penetration on angled targets, while République just laugh at Bismarck angled to 20-30° and give them free 20k damage.

And République is an amazing brawler too. Also those poor DM trying to bow-tank. x')

Players
2,743 posts
15,593 battles
6 minutes ago, Exocet6951 said:

you got that one backwards m8t

alsace is frustrating and medicore  while the france is hilariously fun and deadly

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,684 posts
9,234 battles
2 minutes ago, Gojuadorai said:

you got that one backwards m8t

alsace is frustrating and medicore  while the france is hilariously fun and deadly

Well not really.
The République loses too much salvo density to have bigger guns, which is a problem when you have bad accuracy.

It's also bigger, slower, less agile and has worse acceleration and concealment. Pretty bad things for a ship with 32mm plating all over.

The only reason the République has more average damage is that it also has more HP, which leads to longer battles, and longer battles is specifically what it needs.

But as far as tier per tier is concerned, the Alsace is doing simply better, and that's because it's probably the best rounded BB in the game.

Players
1,422 posts
13,041 battles

Lyon can be fun if RNG agrees with you, but the Allsauce is amazing. By far best BB at T8-T10 ive tested so far. 

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
2,727 posts
7,383 battles
1 minute ago, MortenTardo said:

Lyon can be fun if RNG agrees with you, but the Allsauce is amazing. By far best BB at T8-T10 ive tested so far. 

Thats why ill suffer the T8 and the WR drop with it. Unless some scrubs carry me. BBs are really not my thing, but I do want All mighty sauce.

• Cool 1

Players
1,422 posts
13,041 battles
16 minutes ago, nambr9 said:

Thats why ill suffer the T8 and the WR drop with it. Unless some scrubs carry me. BBs are really not my thing, but I do want All mighty sauce.

Ricky at T8 was bad for me too, until i demounted the accuracy module and put on the secondary module instead. For some reason that improved my accuracy.

SetWidth940-tinfoil-hat.thumb.jpg.f257d2848ca043de9378c5268653c274.jpg

• Funny 1

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
5,393 posts
8,735 battles
1 hour ago, nambr9 said:

I just bought T8.

Any pointers? 

Play the t8 operation, a lot :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 2

[CATS]
Players
14,680 posts
10,879 battles
Just now, aboomination said:

Play the t8 operation, a lot :Smile_trollface:

Especially good for the stock grind.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]