Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
zengaze

Cruiser Mains

17 comments in this topic

[CRU_]
Players
144 posts
5,626 battles

I have become a mutant, i am mutating into a cruiser main.

I always found cruisers the hardest class to play,  i only ever ground one line (the US one), and i ground it along with 2 others when i first started playing WOWs, so i was bad, really bad. But also because I believe cruisers are the hardest class to play well, you can't engage your cloaking device like a DD, and you sure as hell can't move like one, Lol trolling BBs with salvo beats. I love DDs, the ability to vanish, and move around the battle is fun on a stick, and i actually found the class to be the easiest to use (if not master). BBs, well sure the Alpha strike is awesome, and i tried really really hard to enjoy them, but the playstyle doesn't come naturally to me.

Revisiting cruisers with the introduction of the new US lines, is making me a cruiser main fast, i'm not sure what happened but something clicked, i still think they are the hardest class to play well, but damn if you get your positioning right the versatility you have is amazing.

• Cool 1

Players
961 posts
4,865 battles

And the discusion point is? 

I would agree with you on your class assessment though, at least on a personal level. There have been very few cruisers I actually enjoyed playing in this game. 

[CRU_]
Players
144 posts
5,626 battles
10 minutes ago, dCK_Ad_Hominem said:

And the discusion point is? 

I would agree with you on your class assessment though, at least on a personal level. There have been very few cruisers I actually enjoyed playing in this game. 

Not sure if i had a point other than a consciousness splurge lol, i suppose the over arching theme is class differences, and how and why different players gravitate to each class

[ONE2]
Players
2,396 posts
14,381 battles

Weel, I did the exact same thing... Got reasonably good in DD's and moved on to Cruisers. Yeah they are a challenge, but also loads of fun once you begin to "Git good" at them. Still get blapped rather a lot, but those occasions are decreasing in number while the results are improving so I will keep at it for the time being. Still enjoy the occasional DD game tho, just to keep in touch. Perhaps I will give BB's or even CV's another try later on but no hurry.:Smile_Default:

Players
961 posts
4,865 battles
6 minutes ago, zengaze said:

Not sure if i had a point other than a consciousness splurge lol, i suppose the over arching theme is class differences, and how and why different players gravitate to each class

Okay. We can work with that. 

I love dds simply because they are very influential and profit from good awareness and decision making. Also you can pick your fights in them and disengage when needed. I tend to over extend too much in bbs an d cruisers. 

• Cool 1

[JRM]
Players
943 posts
13,480 battles

When a player gets better its easyer to be decent in cruisers u have to pass a certain point in the learning curve of the game to be decent in one class of ships, and cruisers are probably the hardest and definetly least forgiving class hence their point is further up the curve then others

[FATAL]
Beta Tester
571 posts
2,586 battles

I consider myself a 50/50 split between DD and CA player.

I actually find BBs hardest to play.  I really struggle to understand when to push, best angle to use and exactly how to get the best out my consumables.  Then there's the lower top speed and agility which means good positioning is more important because mistakes are harder to correct.

But mostly, all BB guns that I have played just seem so RNG dependent.  Last 2 games I played in my Mutsu are a good example.  In the first one I got 4 citadels, in the second one I got none.  It just feels like the game decides if it's going to be a good battle for me or not.

[UNICS]
Players
1,208 posts
15,028 battles
44 minutes ago, zengaze said:

I love DDs, the ability to vanish, and move around the battle is fun on a stick, and i actually found the class to be the easiest to use (if not master).

DD's are for the average joe the most inconsistent in performance, Rank showed us just how unreliable they can be in high tier meta

Im currently playing cruisers mostly to catch up to my other classes

33% played in bb (Yes i started as a BB main :Smile_hiding:)  

31%  in DD's,

im catching up in cruisers at 27%.

And CV is way below at 9% and it will certainly stay around there.

For me its easiest to get Unicum scores in DD & CA/CL , but not so much for BB's.

Cruisers are the most fun for me now, because of more carry potential than dd , and less brain dead gameplay like BB's.

[IRQ]
Players
2,731 posts
6,638 battles

I think cruisers are harder to play, but that's mostly because of the abundance of BBs. They're also mostly hard in a not fun way, rather than challenging. With a reasonable amount of BBs, cruisers are really fun.

32 minutes ago, krazypenguin said:

I actually find BBs hardest to play.  I really struggle to understand when to push, best angle to use and exactly how to get the best out my consumables.  Then there's the lower top speed and agility which means good positioning is more important because mistakes are harder to correct.

I find it the other way around. BBs are easy mode when you've gotten used to the idea that you just cannot tank that much in other ships.

When to push is harder in other ships. DDs are fast, so you'll very quickly get out of position. And since you're undetected for most of the time, you can go quite some ways before noticing it. For CLs and CAs it's more obvious, but they're so squishy that you most of the time just can't push, and have to wait for others to push with you.

Consumables are more important for other ships. When do you smoke up, when do you use sonar, etc., since that means you're going to be out of them for some time when you might really need them. Using heal on a BB is mostly self-evident. Damage control is a little trickier, but it's still little more than watching the current situation without needing to plan ahead very much.

Sure, slow speed means it's harder to correct mistakes, but it also takes a lot longer to get into troublesome positions. And all that health and armour means you can more easily get away, even if it takes longer. Mistakes are more forgiving. In a BB, you'll lose maybe half your health for a bad mistake on average, if you get punished for it. In other ships, you're dead if you make the same kind of mistakes.

• Cool 1

Players
1,542 posts
6,477 battles

CV main as I enjoy the RTS style and eye in the sky view.  Passing on information to the rest of the team who might not see (if they listen is a different matter).  It's also more of a 1 vs 1 skill wise against your opposite and that's the biggest factor for me.

50/50 split regarding CA and BB's.  Started the game as cruisers but have been slowly been switching to BB's.   Getting whacked by more and more cruiser killers (Sharn, Lyon, Hood ect) was doing my head in. I can see this getting worse when they bring out Battlecruisers/ Pocket BB lines.  

However, some of my fav ships are in the Cruiser line and love the team play aspect of them.  

DD are and has always been my worst line.  I simply can not get into them and truly feel lost in one when the game starts.

Without a shadow of a doubt the easiest class to play are BB's.  Especially when you have some that turn quicker and tighter, faster,  better AA, and have better concealment as actual Cruisers. 

• Cool 1

[POI--]
Players
3,892 posts
5,016 battles

I started out mostly with IJN and German BBs, but gravitated towards IJN DDs more when the British BBs came out. On cruisers...

2 hours ago, dCK_Ad_Hominem said:

Recently I played most lines except American and personally, I find the British very fun. At the Leander, it likely is one of the most interesting and fun experiences I had so far. Definitely the opposite of RN BBs, which range amongst the most boring BBs I ever played. 

Players
2,772 posts
12,699 battles
1 hour ago, AnotherDuck said:

I think cruisers are harder to play, but that's mostly because of the abundance of BBs. They're also mostly hard in a not fun way, rather than challenging. With a reasonable amount of BBs, cruisers are really fun.

I find it the other way around. BBs are easy mode when you've gotten used to the idea that you just cannot tank that much in other ships.

When to push is harder in other ships. DDs are fast, so you'll very quickly get out of position. And since you're undetected for most of the time, you can go quite some ways before noticing it. For CLs and CAs it's more obvious, but they're so squishy that you most of the time just can't push, and have to wait for others to push with you.

Consumables are more important for other ships. When do you smoke up, when do you use sonar, etc., since that means you're going to be out of them for some time when you might really need them. Using heal on a BB is mostly self-evident. Damage control is a little trickier, but it's still little more than watching the current situation without needing to plan ahead very much.

Sure, slow speed means it's harder to correct mistakes, but it also takes a lot longer to get into troublesome positions. And all that health and armour means you can more easily get away, even if it takes longer. Mistakes are more forgiving. In a BB, you'll lose maybe half your health for a bad mistake on average, if you get punished for it. In other ships, you're dead if you make the same kind of mistakes.

This post is pure gold dust IMHO. I agree with every word - and could not have expressed it so well! :Smile_honoring:

I'm a cruiser main, but I don't know why. Especially with the over-population of the cruisers main predator(Battleships)

I must be a masochist.:Smile_sad:   The circumstantial evidence seems to fit: Supports Tottenham, Eats British food, has relationships with women ...........

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

Players
674 posts
7,927 battles
1 hour ago, Redcap375 said:

50/50 split regarding CA and BB's.  Started the game as cruisers but have been slowly been switching to BB's.   Getting whacked by more and more cruiser killers (Sharn, Lyon, Hood ect) was doing my head in. I can see this getting worse when they bring out Battlecruisers/ Pocket BB lines.  

However, some of my fav ships are in the Cruiser line and love the team play aspect of them.  

DD are and has always been my worst line.  I simply can not get into them and truly feel lost in one when the game starts.

Without a shadow of a doubt the easiest class to play are BB's.  Especially when you have some that turn quicker and tighter, faster,  better AA, and have better concealment as actual Cruisers. 

I have done exactly the opposite. After WG have effectively removed Citadels from most of the BBs. BB gameplay have turned into horrid RNG fest. CAs are reliable atleast.

[WCWVE]
Players
772 posts
12,003 battles

I think I am a BB main but it is close 

2496 random games in battleships, 2226 random games in cruisers, the destroyers and aircraft carrier games are also fairly close - 1083 random games in destroyers and 1130 random games in aircraft carriers 

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles

Great to see a positive post and someone getting tempted by the "dark side". :Smile_great: I think one reason that a transition from DD to cruisers works is because you know what is expected of you to support the DDs. Also US cruisers are the ideal DD support and have a combination of stealth and agility that can make a small ship player feel at home. @zengaze I think you'll find trolling BBs by dodging is something US cruisers can be very, very good at.

I acknowledge cruisers are hard to play, but only in the sense that I know a lot of other people think this. I don't personally think that but I know I hold a minority opinion. I've always been a cruiser main and I find their playstyle comes naturally to me regardless of opponents or circumstances.

DDs can be really fun but I find they don't have the same freedom as cruisers. You're expected to be in cap or scouting and you are constrained; despite being invisible everyone knows more or less where you are anyway (or at least should be). You can't just roam and make interesting flanking plays that you can do all the time in a cruiser. It's that "wild card" aspect I really like about cruiser play. Everyone is underestimating you as well, so without that weight of expectation you can be really flexible and show them how wrong they are.

And if something goes wrong in a DD you're naturally in a very dangerous place so the stealth/size/agility don't always save you. I think those traits are dependent on range, and a lot of cruisers can engage effectively at arms length where they are, relatively speaking, just as capable of dodging as a DD, even more so in some cases as you can actually tank shots and a few overpens matter less to your HP pool. Of course there are some cruisers that can really brawl too (US line again) and it can be really fun taking an active and aggressive role as long as you understand you're treading a fine line.

BBs, yeah they can be cool too. I play them mostly for the "awesome" or historical factor but I do get frustrated sometimes with sluggishness or RNG. Some BBs are just easy/chill mode and I have time to admire the ship in battle and just enjoy the fireworks. Especially when it's a famous ship but that's just boring in game (in my opinion). Unsurprisingly, my favourite BBs are the ones that play like cruisers! When I don't feel like I'm fighting the ship to do what I want then I play more intense and it's really satisfying.

• Cool 1

[ONE2]
Players
2,396 posts
14,381 battles

Hmmmh... I don't really consider anything, as my "main" as such. I just play whatever is fun for the time being. But it tends to be mostly Cruisers and DD's for now. Though I admit to sometimes also taking Kongo out for a leisure cruise (could be because it plays a bit like an over-sized Cruiser). Guess it might be the same with most people. :cap_old:

[4_0_4]
Players
4,343 posts
10,732 battles

Just realized that I`m ~44% cruiser player.

Surprised that it isn`t more. I love playing cruisers. BB usually are to much of an RNG fest for me and DDs, while I´m better at them statswise, I don`t really enjoy them that much these days.

Always nice to see some more players trying the cruiser side tho, reminds me of the beginning of my career in this game as the majority were cruisers back then

Sign in to follow this