You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
DangerousDave2k

How is a Farragut supposed to do well in a T8 game?

55 comments in this topic

Players
176 posts
4,481 battles

My Farragut seems to be completely outclassed to the point of uselessness in most T8 games (which it seems to get into very often). Smoke is a waste of time because there is radar and hydro everywhere, and if you do happen to find a ship you can use smoke to fire on, the ship (e.g. the Bismarck that just laughed in my face) immediately disappears as soon as you smoke up, despite being the size of a small town, so can't be shot anyway. How on earth are you suppose to have any success in a boat with pie case armour and 6.4km torpedoes in this environment?

[SCRUB]
Players
617 posts
11,569 battles

Use islands? Make sure that others are spotting before smoking up? Keeping an eye on the minimap to see where potential radars are? 

Also, people tend to forget that you can stealth torps even with 6.4 km as long as the target is heading towards you. 

• Cool 7
  • Boring 1

Players
961 posts
4,865 battles
1 minute ago, DangerousDave2k said:

My Farragut seems to be completely outclassed to the point of uselessness in most T8 games (which it seems to get into very often). Smoke is a waste of time because there is radar and hydro everywhere, and if you do happen to find a ship you can use smoke to fire on, the ship (e.g. the Bismarck that just laughed in my face) immediately disappears as soon as you smoke up, despite being the size of a small town, so can't be shot anyway. How on earth are you suppose to have any success in a boat with pie case armour and 6.4km torpedoes in this environment?

If you think the Farra is bad, just wait for the ride the Mahan has in store for you. 

While tricky to make work, she is quite a fantastic ship. Judging by your complaints you are making some awareness mistakes. First determine where the radars are and that you have someone spotting the target for you. Only then smoke. The Farra is a beast of a gun boat and is only really endangered by other dds of higher tiers. Your torps work best against enemies pushing you, drop them and kite away. At their speed you can launch them at targets in excess of 8km and can still score hits.

The key issue is that T6 and 7 dds are WAY harder to play than dds from T8 up. I consider some of the mid tier ones to be extremely unforgiving. So either free xp past them or adapt to a VERY careful playstyle when uptiered.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
888 posts
8,163 battles

Stop the grind while new US Clevelands are 30% of each line up and play something else.

When you return, boost to Mahan.

It will be worse cause you are gonna face more tier 9s.

Then boost your way to Benson.

Kappa

• Cool 1

[HAERT]
Players
2,103 posts
2 minutes ago, DangerousDave2k said:

The reason that a Bismarck (or any ship come to that ) disappears if you smoke up is that you're the one spotting it, if someone else has a line of sight to the enemy (and your smoke isn't in their way) then it will remain visible.

Players
176 posts
4,481 battles
Just now, BeauNidl3 said:

The reason that a Bismarck (or any ship come to that ) disappears if you smoke up is that you're the one spotting it, if someone else has a line of sight to the enemy (and your smoke isn't in their way) then it will remain visible.

Is this the same mechanic at lower tiers? I hadn't really noticed it before.

[DSW]
Players
3,790 posts
7,737 battles

T6 DDs in a T8 match are in a rough spot indeed - no way to really compete with T8 DDs because not only do they outgun you hilariously, they usually also outstealth you because they get access to the concealment module. And yes, these days everyone and their mum plays Cleveland, so the abundance of Radar doesn't help...

7 minutes ago, DangerousDave2k said:

and if you do happen to find a ship you can use smoke to fire on, the ship (e.g. the Bismarck that just laughed in my face) immediately disappears as soon as you smoke up, despite being the size of a small town, so can't be shot anyway.

This can be alleviated by making the effort to learn something about smoke, concealment and vision mechanics...

Other than that, your best bet is to play the supporting role for one of your top tier DDs - follow him to a cap, help him in a gunfight (Farragut does have pretty decent firepower), maybe you'll get an ambush off against something large by using islands and the other usual tricks... You aren't really supposed to be able to take down a BB in a Farragut, wrong ship for that. Gets slightly better with the Mahan when you can stealthtorp, and Benson when your torps finally actually hurt a bit...

• Cool 1

[HAERT]
Players
2,103 posts
4 minutes ago, DangerousDave2k said:

Is this the same mechanic at lower tiers? I hadn't really noticed it before.

Same at every tier. Basic game mechanic.

Maps are smaller at low tiers so chances of you being the only one spotting a target are lower.

• Cool 2

Players
176 posts
4,481 battles
Just now, Tyrendian89 said:

T6 DDs in a T8 match are in a rough spot indeed - no way to really compete with T8 DDs because not only do they outgun you hilariously, they usually also outstealth you because they get access to the concealment module. And yes, these days everyone and their mum plays Cleveland, so the abundance of Radar doesn't help...

This can be alleviated by making the effort to learn something about smoke, concealment and vision mechanics...

Other than that, your best bet is to play the supporting role for one of your top tier DDs - follow him to a cap, help him in a gunfight (Farragut does have pretty decent firepower), maybe you'll get an ambush off against something large by using islands and the other usual tricks... You aren't really supposed to be able to take down a BB in a Farragut, wrong ship for that. Gets slightly better with the Mahan when you can stealthtorp, and Benson when your torps finally actually hurt a bit...

There's no need for the snarkyness. Guess what I'm on this forum asking questions for... that's right, to learn things about smoke, concealment and vision mechanics (amongst other things).

• Cool 1

[DSW]
Players
3,790 posts
7,737 battles
7 minutes ago, DangerousDave2k said:

There's no need for the snarkyness. Guess what I'm on this forum asking questions for... that's right, to learn things about smoke, concealment and vision mechanics (amongst other things).

snarky? that was simple advice...

For a start, we should probably figure out what you already know about the vision mechanics (both so we don't repeat things unnecessarily and in case there's anything in there that needs correcting)...

or, you can look for a tutorial somewhere (maybe a video) that gives you the basics... probably better than getting three different walls of text in here^^

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
2,727 posts
7,383 battles

Farra is best T6 DD in my book.

Great knife fighter, great smoke, good torps. The only T6  DD i kept.

• Cool 4

[HOME]
Players
749 posts
7,581 battles
11 minutes ago, DangerousDave2k said:

Tyrendian is correct... Besides most of us expected youd know such things after 1k games.

• Cool 1

[BAD-A]
[BAD-A]
Beta Tester
968 posts
10,888 battles

It's a little old (it predates the inclusion of smoke screen timers, stealth firing nerf and smoke firing changes) but the basic ideas are still sound.

Hope there is something there you can find useful.

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
2,980 posts
8,603 battles

Hi all,

20 minutes ago, Freyr_90 said:

Also, people tend to forget that you can stealth torps even with 6.4 km as long as the target is heading towards you. 

Why did you disclose that - it was a TOP SECRET info! :Smile_hiding:

Leo "Apollo11"

• Funny 1

[DSW]
Players
3,790 posts
7,737 battles
6 minutes ago, nambr9 said:

dunno, Shinonome does give it quite the run for its money with the sheer torp power... but Farra definitely is a good ship for its tier. Just not all that happy when bottom tier, but that's true for most :Smile_Default:

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
2,727 posts
7,383 battles
Just now, Tyrendian89 said:

Just not all that happy when bottom tier, but that's true for most :Smile_Default:

True that.

As for Shinonome ... you probably wont believe this, but I still dont have her. I simply feel no need to own her.

[HOME]
Players
749 posts
7,581 battles
1 minute ago, Tyrendian89 said:

dunno, Shinonome does give it quite the run for its money with the sheer torp power... but Farra definitely is a good ship for its tier. Just not all that happy when bottom tier, but that's true for most :Smile_Default:

Torps work well enough against noobs but a decent gunboat player expects that...Once your torps are out of the game youre in trouble. :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 1

Players
944 posts
5,325 battles

Farragut is one of my most played ships, it's really good. You just have to understand that you never smoke up without performing a checklist:

- where are the enemy radar ships

- what direction are enemy torpedoes most likely coming from, don't sit broadside to that

- what is the movement of the enemy ships (will your smoked up position be useless in 1 minute or not? You rather want them to come to you instead of moving away).

Other than that just do the usual, don't yolo into cap in the first minute and get wrecked

• Cool 2

Players
404 posts
4,777 battles

Farragut suffers from not being able to fire torps from stealth until you upgrade them, but it has very competitive concealment.

Like others have said, Mahan is where the pain is at, because it too can't stealth torp from stock and it also has the worst concealment in the MM it gets. Considerably worse than the Farragut.

To be honest, if you did not learn the strengths of its predecessor and the basic knife fight mechanics, then the Farragut cannot be played to its full potential.

As with any ships, consider what your main opponents fear the most from you. US DDs are feared for their gun power. Torps are a bonus, but your primary objective is to contest caps, kill enemy DDs, and provide smoke cover for your key support ships thanks to the powerful US smoke. If you are focusing on smoking up to gun down Bismarcks then you are not doing your main job.

DDs are stealth ships designed to spot enemy ships and be the first to reach objectives. US ships are the best at quickly taking down enemy DDs, and spamming HE at large capital ships is something only done as a last resort or if the main objectives have already been achieved (i.e. if you have not capped, there are still enemy DDs alive and you are gunning down BBs from smoke something has gone horribly wrong in your tactical approach).

Players
2,233 posts
14,314 battles
5 hours ago, DangerousDave2k said:

Well there is good news and bad news.

Good News!  You are correct, Tier 6 DDs are completely outclassed by their tier 8 DD counterparts' as tier 6 MM is the absolutely worst for destroyers.

The Bad News!  Tier 6 DDs are not completely useless vs tier 8s, you just haven't found found that success yet.  It isn't easy and failure will happen often.

Good News!  If you are low tier then others on your team are high tier and the should step up and carry the team to victory... you know that isn't likely.  Some of the people on your team could be in tier 10 ships in a tier 1 game and still do nothing, but that also applies to the opposing team.  

It is the player that makes the ship... the ship doesn't make the player.  If you learn how to play this ship, being up tiered won't be ideal, but you can make it work.

[NWP]
Players
731 posts
6,300 battles
5 hours ago, nambr9 said:

I kept mine after my recent grind to tier 8 of US DDs, but just got Monaghan as a quest :cap_haloween:

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
3,770 posts
10,685 battles
6 hours ago, DangerousDave2k said:

You're wrestling with three problems simultaneously:

1. T6 DDs are the first ones that really face Radar. Unless you have some experience with higher tier DDs of other lines, this is a big thing to get used to, to get the feel for situational awareness in relation to Radars - how to keep track of them, how to avoid them, how to keep escape options open when you are in range...

2. T8 gives DDs access to a new upgrade slot that offers them concealment module. This is a big change that basically means that any DD that has somewhat decent concealment at t8 WILL outspot almost everything at t6 or t7. And Farragut isn't super stealthy by any means. Anyway: there's a big gap between t7 and t8 with DDs - and as t6 you are, obviously, on the wrong side of this chasm.

3. We have LOTS of t8 Clevelands in the queue right now. Basically, this is the worst possible moment.

The third problem is going to pass. You can wait it out. The first two are here to stay. The reality of this is that you need to grind your teeth and try to play it safe. When you're in a t8 match, you need to make sure where the enemy t8 DDs are. You are unlikely to be able to deal with these - they will outspot you, many of them will also outgun you. It's not even funny what happens if Farragut finds herself facing a Kidd or an Akizuki. If they're on your flank, you have little choice but play it pretty defensively, keeping in front but still pretty close to the main fleet of bigger ships. You can still lob some shells over islands, sometimes get some shots off from your smoke, but your main job might end up being smoking allied cruisers, capping in later phase of the game (since you won't win caps against t8 DDs without close support) and spotting enemy torps. It can be tough. Still, Farragut isn't a bad ship, so don't lose faith. And, well, not every match is a t8 match and even in a t8 match there might be no t8 DDs and even if there ARE t8 DDs in your match, it might just so happen that they are on the other flank. And then you only need to deal with Radars :Smile-_tongue: