Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Starchy_Tuber

Is Blacklisting supposed to work?

30 comments in this topic

[ANV]
Players
409 posts
7,528 battles

I've blacklisted a few players, in particular, a CV player who consistently does nothing for his team - and yet this is the fourth time he's been present on my team over the last couple of months.

Is blacklisting supposed to actually do anything or is it just a cosmetic "feel better button"? 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 7

Players
986 posts
5,120 battles
2 minutes ago, antenociti said:

I've blacklisted a few players, in particular, a CV player who consistently does nothing for his team - and yet this is the fourth time he's been present on my team over the last couple of months.

Is blacklisting supposed to actually do anything or is it just a cosmetic "feel better button"? 

It means they can't message you. That is all. You can't manipulate match making with it duh........

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

[TTT]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles
1 hour ago, antenociti said:

wait... you actually thought blacklisting blocked someone from ever being on your team again? seriously?

insert laughing.gif of choice here, season with facepalm.gif to taste

• Funny 5
  • Bad 2

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,638 battles

It works, you can't see any chat stuff from them (ok, not sure about pings, but you won't see anything they write themselves)

• Cool 1

Players
4,664 posts
9,543 battles

It only works for text messages. I recently even had a battle where I gave someone a +1 and later found out I had actually blacklisted him previously :Smile_teethhappy:

He could still send the F4 etc commands, which most more seasoned players are aware of.

I'm glad blacklisting doesn't exclude you from ever seeing this person again in a game, if only because it would result in matchmaking manipulation.

I suppose it would also be too taxing for the servers, making matchmaking vastly more complex.

• Cool 2

[IRQ]
Players
2,753 posts
6,638 battles
21 minutes ago, NothingButTheRain said:

He could still send the F4 etc commands, which most more seasoned players are aware of.

Which is bad design. If you blacklist or block someone, that should extend to their chat commands as well, since some of them just spam those instead, which is even more annoying.

21 minutes ago, NothingButTheRain said:

I'm glad blacklisting doesn't exclude you from ever seeing this person again in a game, if only because it would result in matchmaking manipulation.

Yeah, excluding players from your matchmaking is so easily broken.

• Cool 1

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
2,917 posts
3,640 battles

Unfortunately it only means they can't message you in game. It does nothing to stop them from being in game, or indeed on your team, with you ever again.

Same goes for WoT and WoWP while we're at it.

• Cool 2

Players
4,664 posts
9,543 battles
46 minutes ago, AnotherDuck said:

Which is bad design. If you blacklist or block someone, that should extend to their chat commands as well, since some of them just spam those instead, which is even more annoying.

Yeah, excluding players from your matchmaking is so easily broken.

I agree. Just wanted to mention most more seasoned players were aware of this 'feature' :Smile_great:

[ANV]
Players
409 posts
7,528 battles
1 hour ago, Tyrendian89 said:

wait... you actually thought blacklisting blocked someone from ever being on your team again? seriously?

insert laughing.gif of choice here, season with facepalm.gif to taste

For Co-op, yes I did actually... I couldn't see how it could be abused.

...for Random I wasn't sure. ( I know it didn't for Ranked and Clan.)

Hence me asking the question... that is a process where one finds things out by asking others.... not sure how that is amusing, I've done so throughout my life and find it very useful to ask, and not just assume things.

(thanks to those who answered without the need to be juveniles about it)

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[ANV]
Players
409 posts
7,528 battles
1 hour ago, wilkatis_LV said:

It works, you can't see any chat stuff from them (ok, not sure about pings, but you won't see anything they write themselves)

Does that apply instantly or only after that game for subsequent games?

( We recently had a player constantly hitting "Negative" throughout the enter game and there seems no way to silence them at all)

[TOXIC]
Players
4,529 posts
11,480 battles
24 minutes ago, antenociti said:

( We recently had a player constantly hitting "Negative" throughout the enter game and there seems no way to silence them at all)

It applies instantly but the system is f*cked up and quick commands (as well as map pinging) are not affected, be it by blacklisting or chatban. Basically, the most annoying kind of chat spam is impossible to stop (unless you teamkill the offender, that is).

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,638 battles

It's instant (someone's being an a** and annoying you? This is the exact way to go about it). For the longest time my blacklist had just 1 guy in it, recently he got a buddy <3 :Smile_teethhappy:

Sadly enough ping spam still is a thing, you can't stop that no matter what :fish_palm:

• Cool 1

[TOXIC]
Players
4,529 posts
11,480 battles
1 hour ago, wilkatis_LV said:

It's instant (someone's being an a** and annoying you? This is the exact way to go about it). For the longest time my blacklist had just 1 guy in it, recently he got a buddy <3 :Smile_teethhappy:

Sadly enough ping spam still is a thing, you can't stop that no matter what :fish_palm:

Well, not no matter what, dead people can't ping the map or use the F-commands and your weapons can damage and kill teammates.

WG has clearly given us the tools needed to shut ping-spammers up, it's our choice that we don't use them. Our choice -> our fault -> our problem. Nothing to blame WG for :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 1

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,638 battles
15 minutes ago, eliastion said:

your weapons can damage and kill teammates.

System's a tad bit too sensitive for that right now :Smile_teethhappy: Or at least was in the last patch. Had one moron CA spamming everything nonstop, he was almost dead (like 5k hp) - thought "I'm well over half HP at this point, I can just take him out,  we've won anyway!"

Long story short he survived the salvo and kept spamming, I didn't :Smile_sceptic: At least I could quit to port and didn't have to deal with him anymore :Smile_teethhappy:

[SQRL]
Players
311 posts
12,658 battles

Why on earth doesn't the Block/Mute also mute the F* & map clicking - Just played a game with an absolute a. hole that spammed the F* commands all game, every 2 or 3 seconds. The stupid thing is, he played quite well and came 2nd on the result list. Ok I've blocked them now - but it was immensely annoying. If the tw*t had been closer I would have torped him just to get some peace.

[HOO]
Players
2,190 posts
21 minutes ago, Beaker71 said:

Why on earth doesn't the Block/Mute also mute the F* & map clicking - Just played a game with an absolute a. hole that spammed the F* commands all game, every 2 or 3 seconds. The stupid thing is, he played quite well and came 2nd on the result list. Ok I've blocked them now - but it was immensely annoying. If the tw*t had been closer I would have torped him just to get some peace.

This has been asked for repeatedly @MrConway has looked into it and apparently it's not as simple as it would logically be, I guess they coded the F keys and map pings into a different part of the interface.

It is really annoying when some clown that's serving a chat ban decides that to take "revenge" on every team he's in that spamming F keys and pings just to be irritating is a good idea. There have been posters that admit this is exactly what they do and why.

• Cool 2

[IRQ]
Players
2,753 posts
6,638 battles
3 hours ago, BeauNidl3 said:

It is really annoying when some clown that's serving a chat ban decides that to take "revenge" on every team he's in that spamming F keys and pings just to be irritating is a good idea. There have been posters that admit this is exactly what they do and why.

Since it's known the in-game system doesn't support stopping that kind of behaviour, I'd probably file a ticket to support with a replay about it. Maybe with enough of those they get a better incentive to do something about it.

[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
2,779 posts
2,811 battles
On 6/22/2018 at 10:10 PM, BeauNidl3 said:

This has been asked for repeatedly @MrConway has looked into it and apparently it's not as simple as it would logically be, I guess they coded the F keys and map pings into a different part of the interface.

This is correct and yes - very annoying. Its on the long list of things we would like to improve when we have the time to do so.

[HOO]
Players
2,190 posts
3 hours ago, MrConway said:

This is correct and yes - very annoying. Its on the long list of things we would like to improve when we have the time to do so.

Considering the irritation factor to many players, it might be worth seeing if it could be bumped up the priority list a bit. True it doesn't improve the game, but it could certainly improve the user experience.

The fact is putting someone on ignore or blacklist should also block the deliberate map ping and Fkey spamming which some do just to annoy your customers. I do hope it can be resolved as it would be a useful change unlike the perfectly usable Division window that got tied to the chat function and frankly is plain bad now. 

[IRQ]
Players
2,753 posts
6,638 battles
23 minutes ago, BeauNidl3 said:

Considering the irritation factor to many players, it might be worth seeing if it could be bumped up the priority list a bit. True it doesn't improve the game, but it could certainly improve the user experience.

Improving user experience is improving the game. It's not less important because it doesn't have anything to do with the game balance mechanics.

• Cool 2

[HOO]
Players
2,190 posts
12 minutes ago, AnotherDuck said:

Improving user experience is improving the game. It's not less important because it doesn't have anything to do with the game balance mechanics.

That's a matter of perspective, some people would define improving the game to be limited to changes in the actual gameplay, rather than the game environment as a whole.

Since this is a Russian company I decided to use the wording I did to make sure it's not easily misunderstood.

I happen to agree that user experience IS part of improving the game, but having spent a considerable time working with people who speak English as a second, third or fifth language I wanted to avoid doubt.

• Cool 1

Weekend Tester
965 posts
9,800 battles

Dont forget you can silence the F auto texts. Which I highly recommend. Saves you from suffering through at least 20 'good luck and fair seas' per game, 240 'thank you' and '46,665' I need intelligence data pings within the first 90 seconds at least! :cap_wander_2:

You will still see them in chat but you wont hear them, and imo that is MUCH more important since they don't actually serve the function they were intended to do. If i could smoke a BB up to save him, I would. I can see what will help and what wont, But no amount of spamming set a smokescreen will save him from shima torps when they are already on the way!

[IRQ]
Players
2,753 posts
6,638 battles
12 hours ago, RobS80 said:

Dont forget you can silence the F auto texts. Which I highly recommend. Saves you from suffering through at least 20 'good luck and fair seas' per game, 240 'thank you' and '46,665' I need intelligence data pings within the first 90 seconds at least! :cap_wander_2:

First off, that's a rather stupid exaggeration. Second, I recommend against it. Pretty much all of them are either easily ignorable or, imagine this, actually relevant. I don't play the game to be anti-social.

[WTFNO]
Players
439 posts
7,658 battles
On 6/10/2018 at 8:25 PM, antenociti said:

Hence me asking the question... that is a process where one finds things out by asking others.... not sure how that is amusing, I've done so throughout my life and find it very useful to ask, and not just assume things.

(thanks to those who answered without the need to be juveniles about it)

Sorry, for me it was just actually funny in the sense 'Gods I really wished it worked that way. But no way in heavens' :D

Sign in to follow this