You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Sybeck

Karma time for Karma

73 comments in this topic

[BNBS]
Players
371 posts

Can we just get rid of the karma system?  What purpose or reward does it serve?

It's nice when one of your team occasionally gives you a point for a Kraken or a carry.  However when a division of DDs all spawn at the same point and all head for the same cap and fail to cap and all get destroyed.  Then somebody (your division mate) mildly and politely points out why a full DD division is a fail because they will all be placed at one cap.  Then he goes on to kill 7 ships in a loss and ends up with -2 karma and it's not hard to work out who got butthurt by his perfectly reasonable comment.

So what's the point of having karma?  There is no reward for it, there is no in match notification of who is the good guy/girl and as far as I know the only person who knows your karma score is you yourself so what is the actual use in having it?

If it's intended for good and to receive a compliment then leave the battle chat open for 1 minute after the end so people can express their thanks personally.

• Cool 3

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,481 posts
7,954 battles

It's misdirection to make people feel like they "punished" someone for doing something stupid.

If it takes even a small load off of chat, I'd say it has done its job.

It's also there to fill out the menu so it's not just "Misbehavior in chat" and "AFK". Which are the only two that actually does something besides adding or subtracting from a number tied to your profile.

At some point I think they used the Karma system for something on the RU server.

So it might be there just in case they ever come up with a use for it.

• Cool 2

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,404 posts
13,815 battles
1 hour ago, Sybeck said:

So what's the point of having karma?

Extra reports so you can abuse the chatban system better.

Yup, that's it.

• Cool 8
  • Funny 2

[BNBS]
Players
371 posts
21 minutes ago, Nechrom said:

It's misdirection to make people feel like they "punished" someone for doing something stupid.

If it takes even a small load off of chat, I'd say it has done its job.

It's also there to fill out the menu so it's not just "Misbehavior in chat" and "AFK". Which are the only two that actually does something besides adding or subtracting from a number tied to your profile.

At some point I think they used the Karma system for something on the RU server.

So it might be there just in case they ever come up with a use for it.

But the point is in this instance they "punished" somebody for telling them something which was correct and instructive and he lost karma even when he killed 7 ships.  IDK, it all seemed petty to me.  Anyway I raised the point  and I'm not going to pursue it.  It just seemed pointless if the good isn't shown off publicly and the trolling is known personally.

[UNICS]
Beta Tester
4,481 posts
7,954 battles
7 minutes ago, Sybeck said:

But the point is in this instance they "punished" somebody for telling them something which was correct and instructive and he lost karma even when he killed 7 ships.  IDK, it all seemed petty to me.  Anyway I raised the point  and I'm not going to pursue it.  It just seemed pointless if the good isn't shown off publicly and the trolling is known personally.

The alternative is that you only have the option to report for chat abuse or AFK. Would you rather have people troll with that?

And as soon as you give Karma an intrinsic value, even if it's just for bragging, the unjustified reports will become an actual problem.

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,404 posts
13,815 battles
1 hour ago, Benaulim said:

Get rid of the negative and keep the positive Karma. Problem solved.

And give every 3 ship div the ability to chatban anyone they please with 33 reports total? Genius.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,844 posts
6,141 battles

The only purpose karma serves is seeing how many times you get either reported or complimented, if you choose to look at it, im at 64 now, so i guess im doing something right :Smile_Default:

Players
3,593 posts
7,312 battles

Removing the ability to report enemies would be a good first step.

• Cool 2

[UNICS]
Players
2,880 posts
12,093 battles
36 minutes ago, GarrusBrutus said:

Nobody gives a damn about karma. 

OP does.

I don't mind the system and I use compliments and reports frequently. Better than nothing imo.

[DDOS]
Players
50 posts
1,417 battles

well i  will stop reporting people when they stop using gatlink mod

[FDUSH]
Players
1,117 posts
6,589 battles
6 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

And give every 3 ship div the ability to chatban anyone they please with 33 reports total? Genius.

You can report or compliment someone only once. Doing it more than once per player it's a waste of reports/compliments. I checked it.

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
532 posts

Killing someone -1 carma

Telling someone politely they doing something wrong -1 carma

Asking why someone did this or that -1 carma

Flaming like a blippety blip in the chat on all the mongols and windowlickers.....nothing happened.

On a personal note. I don't understand the point of those points at all, and why they put it in.

It gives nothing to the game.

[HAERT]
Players
2,102 posts
34 minutes ago, kenalb said:

You've mentioned this before, what the hell is gatlink mod? How do you know what mods are being used by another player for that matter?

[UNICS]
Players
2,880 posts
12,093 battles
44 minutes ago, kenalb said:

Yes, the gatlink mod.. but don't everyone use it? :cap_cool:

[HOME]
Players
749 posts
7,554 battles
11 minutes ago, BeauNidl3 said:

You've mentioned this before, what the hell is gatlink mod? How do you know what mods are being used by another player for that matter?

2 minutes ago, loppantorkel said:

Yes, the gatlink mod.. but don't everyone use it? :cap_cool:

My guess would be he means GATLING as in ships shooting to fast.... Im just not sure whether he means ships with fast ROF or a "cheat" that allows you to shoot faster which is dumb because thats done serverside...

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,230 posts
7,319 battles

The moment I stop getting reported for simply killing or outplaying someone is the moment I will stop hating the karma and (most importantly) the report system.

Too many people use it to report the guy that just killed them.

And you can get 3k base xp on a game, carry to the point of your back literally breaking and it will never result in a single +1 from your team. Most likely a report from either the enemy, cause you are clearly cheating or from your own team out of spite.

Maybe I just meet the bleeps in this game all the time.

yes, I do have positive karma (141), but that is 99% from getting +1 from people I know that I run into.

• Cool 4

Players
770 posts
12,225 battles
52 minutes ago, Capra76 said:

Removing the ability to report enemies would be a good first step.

True. In my own experience the main reasons for diminishing karma are sinking somebody (enemy saltiness) and not helping/supporting when and where the other guy thinks I should have (friendly saltiness, mainly towards CVs). I've probably received very few reports related to chat due to using it sparsely (although I've witnessed how easily triggered some people are about anything written in chat), and fortunately the same with AFK issues.

58 minutes ago, Sargento_YO said:

You can report or compliment someone only once. Doing it more than once per player it's a waste of reports/compliments. I checked it.

Better phrased, you can report/compliment someone many times for/in a battle but only the first one counts. I've had port chats opened a few times, from people that fall under the first of the aforementioned categories, bragging about dumping all their reports on me, yet the counter going down just by one. I even explained politely about this fact, wether they accepted it or not is up to them.

26 minutes ago, DJ_Die said:

My guess would be he means GATLING as in ships shooting to fast.... Im just not sure whether he means ships with fast ROF or a "cheat" that allows you to shoot faster which is dumb because thats done serverside...

So an in-game feature like AR captain skill is now considered a cheat by some people. Or maybe the "Gatling" refers to the continuous, sequential fire when keeping LMB pressed (also an in-game mechanic, no mods needed) if the ship has a fast enough RoF, who knows...

Salute.

[MJK]
Players
208 posts
7,267 battles
1 hour ago, loppantorkel said:

OP does.

I don't mind the system and I use compliments and reports frequently. Better than nothing imo.

I do to. Its just that sometimes when Im giving someone all my 11 reports I realize that they are probably at zero already, so its just a waste.

:cap_yes:

Players
3,593 posts
7,312 battles
3 minutes ago, Systergummi said:

I do to. Its just that sometimes when Im giving someone all my 11 reports I realize that they are probably at zero already, so its just a waste.

:cap_yes:

Only one report per player counts, so if you dump all of them on one player that's 10 CV players that escape being reported.

I tested this with my alt account in a T1 co-op battle.

• Funny 1

[FDUSH]
Players
1,117 posts
6,589 battles
13 minutes ago, Estaca_de_Bares said:

Better phrased, you can report/compliment someone many times for/in a battle but only the first one counts. I've had port chats opened a few times, from people that fall under the first of the aforementioned categories, bragging about dumping all their reports on me, yet the counter going down just by one. I even explained politely about this fact, wether they accepted it or not is up to them.

I remember once I was sealclubbing a Saipan while using my Kaga. However the sealclub was way too strong, even for my standards. Seemed that the guy didn't knew the difference between fighters and torpedo bombers. Then someone from the enemy team mentioned that and we started to in the middle of the battle. I said a joke, he laught and mentioned that he complimented me twice, one for making him laught and another one for me saying I felt bad to sealclub THAT hard. However I received only one compliment.
There were a couple of other times I checked that as well.

[HAERT]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
1,993 posts

Make it so that karma-score isn’t reduced when you’re reported, but were top3 of BXP earned in that team. “Plays poorly” doesn’t combine with a high XP score in the first place.

• Cool 6

[MJK]
Players
208 posts
7,267 battles
15 minutes ago, Capra76 said:

Only one report per player counts, so if you dump all of them on one player that's 10 CV players that escape being reported.

I tested this with my alt account in a T1 co-op battle.

Damm it. Will portion it out to CV players from now on.:fish_viking: