Sign in to follow this  
Ouzo11

Atago / Takao Questions

5 comments in this topic

Players
152 posts
4,302 battles

So, i got the ARP Takao from some Marathon-Something-Thingie more than a year ago.
Played it 15 times, got an avg dmg of 15k and stop playing it.
I m mostly a dd captain and all my cruisers are at t5.

After returning to the game  recently and seeing those radar-walls i decided to give it another go.
For some reason it worked!
40 to 100k dmg per match, depending on how fast the rest of my team in my flank dies and how bad or good is my positioning.
So far, i have been playing it between 11 and 14km distance.
I will flank when i get the chance ofc but usually i stay at the aforementioned distances behind the dds, in the open.

Will push when needed, will support low pop caps and cap when i can.
Always using torps, mostly to scare away the enemy fleet or to deny passage from narrow areas.
I am not actively hunting enemy dds, but i will always shoot them when i have the chance, even if i have a broadside bb that i can light up with fires at the same time.
Also, trying to focus the radar cruisers so my dds can cap.

Not very confident to play island games with other ships yet, since i still havent masted cqc maneuverability.
Obviously using AP on broadside target.

Yet, i still feel irrelevant.
Like i am not contributing enough for a win.
Yesterdays example: 8 takao matches, 1 win, 70-something avg dmg, 1,1k avg xp.Always coming top 3.

So, what could i do to improve?Tips?Ideas?
Any other cruisers that play similar to Takao at Tier 10?
Would love to start playing cruisers again now that i got a feel for them and i can perform without giving away games because i suck at them.

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,079 posts
6,718 battles
46 minutes ago, Ouzo11 said:

Any other cruisers that play similar to Takao at Tier 10?

Zao and Henri IV.

• Cool 1

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles

Sounds like you're basically on the right track. Practice is the short answer. And (presumably, since you don't have other high tier cruisers) a higher point captain.

8 matches is not a big sample so it's partly bad luck, but it sounds like you're focusing on damage a bit too much and/or keeping yourself safe at the expense of game impact. Think about who's the best target at any given time, it might not be the radar cruiser. Usually it's whoever you can finish quickest to get enemy guns out of the game, so join in on focusing enemies down. Also, push yourself to be as aggressive as you can. Not brawling, but skirting edge of concealment (and max that out ASAP if you haven't already, although Takao can't mount camo so it's at a slight disadvantage). Definitely hunt DDs more, your arcs and accuracy are great and even if reload isn't, nothing panicks a DD like suddenly eating 6k damage from an angle he didn't expect.

A good bread and butter IJN cruiser tactic is "kick the hornet nest and run". Approach stealthed, turn away and slap a few different enemies with some nice HE salvos and fires. If you're brave, flash broadside to really get them seeing red, drop torps and kite. Wiggle to keep firing/dodging, tank and heal as required, fade to stealth if it gets too hot. Done right, you'll draw enemies off your team and out of position and probably score a couple yourself. :cap_like: you're doing much more work for your team this way than just farming damage. And Takao can take it if you practice the handling.

As I said just push her a bit and see what she can take. I've been in some epicly stupid situations in my Atago and came out on top in ways I don't think any other cruiser could have. Stuff like broken rudder sailing in circles 8km in front of a Yamato. Really great ship!

All IJN cruisers basically play like that. If you like Takao that's the line for you.

• Cool 2

Players
152 posts
4,302 battles

As for the kiting, hell i love that!
I could go all day troll-harrashing the enemy fleet while kiting them away :D

The rest will be put into immediate practice rn!
Thank you!

Players
773 posts
12,271 battles

As others have mentioned, Takao is best played in delaying actions/kiting in relatively open waters, right outside the border of her concealment range. Her torpedo angles are not as good as other IJN CAs for using all the launchers while wiggling away, but broadsiding still in stealth, launching them then baiting by firing as you turn for the kite makes the trick (the "kick the nest and run" VC381 spoke about).

I've had some good games with mine, including a Kraken by torpedoes or getting rid of an Iowa I approached in the open in singular battle. As for cruisers with similar gameplay, I went up the RN CL line and radar Minotaur also works at fast, gun-blazing runs scaring DDs out from caps, then kiting the hell out of there if the map doesn't have much cover, but you need to have some loosen screws for doing it consistently.

Salute.

Sign in to follow this