You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
MegaDommagam

[0.7.5.0][EN] 'Gun calibers in inches'

11 comments in this topic

Modder
3 posts
101 battles

Hi,

Starting with client version [0.7.5.0], a new version of the 'Gun calibers in inches' mod is included in Aslain's mod pack (v.7.5.0 #04 and later).

Installation - if you are not using Aslain's installer:

1. Download the mod from here: WoWS 'Gun calibers in inches' mod
  2. Make sure that the version of the mod and the version of the WoWS game client you are running are the same: 'WoWS Gun calibers in inches N.N.N.N.zip' works only with game client version N.N.N.N
  3. Unzip the mod
  4. Copy the 'global.mo' file from the mod to the '...\World_of_Warships\res_mods\N.N.N.N\texts\en\LC_MESSAGES' folder.

Notes:

• The original standard 'global.mo' file is in the '...\World_of_Warships\res\texts\en\LC_MESSAGES' folder, do not move it or change it in any way.
  • The mod is available in English only. [EN] If you install it, the language used by the game client for all displayed texts will be in English.
  • The mod does not remove or replace the original metric gun or torpedo calibers shown in millimeters or centimeters (you need the metric values for penetration and over-match calculations), just puts them in parentheses, and inserts the caliber sizes in inches in front of them - please see the screenshot snippets attached.
  • The mod is not code, it will not slow your game down, it is an enhanced compiled translation file.
  • The mod is completely legal, and it will not help you win more battles or sink more enemy ships.
  • The mod has to be updated for every new patch or release, actually every time Wargaming adds or changes any texts displayed in the game, even when the changes got nothing to do with gun calibers, e.g. new campaigns, collectibles, ships, etc. you name it. (This was a big reason why the previous developers of this mod faced so many difficulties trying to keep the mod up-to-date. I wrote a script to do it, time will tell how it will hold up to all the curve-balls Wargaming will throw at it.).

Cheers!

p.s. I am Canadian and I hail from Europe. All my life I always used metric. I like metric because it makes sense, and not because certain anatomical measurements sound bigger in it. But, I'm ancient and I know how hard it is to change, that's why I developed my version of this mod, mainly for the convenience of my fellow players in the UK and in the US.

p.s.s. By the way, the US is one of the original 17 countries who signed the 'Treaty of the Meter' in 1875. So, who is to blame for the obvious failure of the US to adopt the metric system? Probably the Russians, right? No! It happened because of British PIRATES! (<- Not kidding. Click on the link to read up on it.) Technically they were 'privateers' supported by His Majesty's government, therefore us Canadians undeniably share some responsibility. We are truly sorry.

Gun_calibers_in_inches.jpg

• Cool 5

Players
1,334 posts
5,325 battles

This is one of those simple GUI "fixes" that I can't believe isn't already in the game and I'm glad someone has decided to mod this themselves.

Players
913 posts
7,145 battles

Gun calibre in inches = gun calibre in mm/25, rounded down. 

153/25 = 6in

203/25 = 8in

305/25 = 12in

Etc

I'll have to think about armour pen though, as the 1/6 rule won't apply... 

[-NFG-]
[-NFG-]
Players
96 posts
4,879 battles
3 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

It will, if armour is also converted to inches :Smile_smile:  But neither value can afford to be rounded off too much or there will be errors.

e.g 100mm HE shell hits 16mm armour plate.  100/6 = 16.67.

16.67 > 16 so pen possible

100mm/25.4 = 3.937 inches       3.937/6 = 0.6516

16mm/25.4 = 0.6299 inches

0.6516> 0.6299 so pen possible

Note: dividing by 25.4 because we're working in mm not cm.  Also the .4 is important and should not be rounded off.  ~2% error if it is.

[ADRIA]
Players
4,173 posts
6,747 battles
23 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

But *4.167 does :Smile_trollface: Then again, wouldn't be as accurate

19 hours ago, Xanta99 said:

16.67 > 16 so pen possible

16.49 > 16, but it can not pen it. Normal rounding applies

[-NFG-]
[-NFG-]
Players
96 posts
4,879 battles

Hmm well if the exact rounding in mm is the critical factor for the game (which of course it is, oops) then it would be often wrong in inches no matter what we do.  It'll just have to stay in mm then.  Mod shows both at least so it works for everyone.

Modder
3 posts
101 battles
2 hours ago, Xanta99 said:

Hmm well if the exact rounding in mm is the critical factor for the game (which of course it is, oops) then it would be often wrong in inches no matter what we do.  It'll just have to stay in mm then.  Mod shows both at least so it works for everyone.

Thank you for pointing this out, I edited the original post to be clear

[BABBY]
Beta Tester
1,402 posts

Is it possible to make a mod following the actual the designations used by each country for each gun?

Like afaik while the USN mostly used inches, they used 20/40mm for Oerlikon and Bofors cannons.

[BONUS]
[BONUS]
Beta Tester
2,678 posts
7,211 battles

I consistently get crashes unless I run without mods

Modder
3 posts
101 battles
12 hours ago, Hedgehog1963 said:

I consistently get crashes unless I run without mods

Not from this mod, for sure. It's just a translation file. Your game client always uses one, either this one or another.

Mods break, (and a broken mod may cause a crash) because Wargaming has to do their own thing. When they launch new releases or patches, they are following their development plan or are responding to user feedback. They cannot maintain a stable environment or API for mods - and they never promised it. However, they are allowing mods, they are developing a new tool to distribute them more efficiently and they have published the API. To address this issue, AFAIK they are working on compiling a collection of 'WoWS approved' mods, or similar. At the moment all mods (like this one) need to be updated for every new release or patch - because they are not part of the official release. In fact Wargaming knows almost nothing about them, so they cannot accommodate or test them either.

14 hours ago, StringWitch said:

Is it possible to make a mod following the actual the designations used by each country for each gun?

Like afaik while the USN mostly used inches, they used 20/40mm for Oerlikon and Bofors cannons.

The mod shows the calibers both in inches and in the original millimeters (in a few cases centimeters), so you can just choose which value to read and use.

Using Bofors as an example:

Bofors , being Swedish made, uses millimeters. If by 'each country' you mean the country of manufacture, it would be straightforward, although it would complicate the logic the algorithm uses, to leave Bofors calibers in millimeters and not show them in inches.

But, if by 'each country' you mean the many different countries that bought Bofors AA guns, if they described the caliber of the guns in their own unit of measure (in the case of the US inches and in the case of the UK shot weight) it may or may not be possible. It would depend on whether WoWS created different message IDs for the same gun descriptions used by different nations. (I suspect in many cases they did.) However, I don't know where to get that historical info and I also don't know the level of interest in the player community for this to judge if this is something widely missed or not.

[BABBY]
Beta Tester
1,402 posts

@MegaDommagam I mean the latter case. navweaps.com would have the info on the names, though not all of them. The same wepaons used by different countries do seem to have different IDs, like the quad Vickers AA is called 'Mk III' on British ships, 'Vickers' on Russian ships, and '"HI" Type' on Japanese ones (though I don't think any current iterations of Japanese ships in the game actually still have this weapon at all). I'm not asking you to change your(?) mod, mind; it might just be something I do for my own satisfaction.

10 hours ago, Xanta99 said:

Regardless of what name a weapon is given, the calibre is still shown in mm on the right in white text, so the exact calibre the game uses for calculations will never be in doubt even if one were to round to inches imprecisely in the names. A good example is the Japanese 8cm/40 used on a few low tier ships, with white text showing the actual calibre to be 76.2mm (this discrepancy between designation and actual calibre historically correct).

Edited by StringWitch