You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Leo_Apollo11

From Reddit: "PSA: Buying premium ships on sale for cheap doubloons... it might be over"

158 comments in this topic

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
2,982 posts
8,609 battles

Hi all,

From Reddit: "PSA: Buying premium ships on sale for cheap doubloons... it might be over"

For those unaware, for a long time it was a popular way to get cheaper doubloons: Buy a premium ship on sale on the webshop, receive the full amount of the doubloons ingame.

Recent mentions, such as here by /u/SteveThePurpleCat, made me curious tho. Has something changed with 0.7.5?

Yes i think it has.

I just bought the Atlanta D-Day package on the EU webshop:

• Atlanta (ingame price is 9.000 doubloons)

• 2.000 doublons

• flags, 6pt captain, missions, credits, etc.

So that should give me 11.000 doubloons.

Of course i own Atlanta already (screenshot). I also made sure that Atlanta is not on sale right now ingame with a seperate account (screenshot).

What did i receive instead tho?

7.200 doubloons for the duplicate ship (screen), and the additional 2.000 doubloons (screen). For a total of 9.200, instead of 11.000 doubloons (screen).

Thats 1.800 doubloons less than expected.

People have also mentioned that buying Warspite as a dupe gave them 4.550 instead of 6.500 (missing 1.950). Since this amount is off by 150 from my value, which is the exact price of a port slot, i could imagine that those Warspite reports have included the value of the slot. Or its just a coincidence.

• Expected: 11.000 doubloons for 40.86€, thats ~269 doubloons per Euro

• Received: 9.200 doubloons for 40.86€, thats ~225 doubloons per Euro

I have opened a ticket to WG support now, lets see what they say about it.

So my conclusion is, in 0.7.5 WG has put a damper on buying dupe ships for cheap doubloons. You now receive the ingame doubloon value of the ship, reduced by the same % that the webshop offer is.

Also please do note that so far, my own experience and the reports i have seen have all been on the EU webshop/client. If this new system applies to NA/SEA/RU aswell is yet unknown. I am hoping for reports here from players on other regions. (Update: One player from SEA got the same reduced amount when buying a Warspite bundle).

This only applies to discounted ships on the webshop! Buying a ship for standard price makes sense to give the full amount of doubloons, you are not saving anything. We are only talking about the special offers on the webshop, ships that are on sale, either by themself or in a bundle. Those used to be good opportunities to get cheaper doubloons.

And before some people here reply "oh god, you wanted to abuse a loophole and now it got fixed, stop crying!", shut up. This is a PSA, i didnt need the doubloons. This is to make others aware of this change on WG's side before they spend their money.

**This is not about "omg, this is only fair, shut up". If you think so, please just leave, you dont get it. It used to be different, for some people (especially here) this was a big deal to get doubloons in the game. Now WG has changed it (fine with me). The point is, WG has not announced this change at all. And to avoid people buying packages on the shop and then being surprised by getting less doubloons than expected... thats what this PSA is for. It is not to cry about "omg i want it back, WG evil!". Sure, i would like the previous system more. But from a business perspective this change makes sense. And i will have to accept it. But customers should be told about big changes to the shop system.

BTW, we already found about this week+ ago one when I asked (i.e. possibly this was not tied to v0.7.5 per se):

Leo "Apollo11"

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
2,223 posts
8,911 battles

The Terms of Service remain unchanged:

f) If a recipient of a gift already owns a vehicle included in the gift, that vehicle's full cost in gold as at the time of purchase in the Premium Shop will be automatically compensated to the recipient.

That should be applicable to buying something for yourself as well. Haven't seen any specific clause for that at first look.

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
Players
7,309 posts
9,577 battles

Yeah, that is fishy as hell.

I distinctly remember that during last year's WoWs anniversary, we had big discounts on select premium ships (larger discounts than were usual for ships of that tier) and I bought the Belfast on 50% discount and got the full value of the ship in doubloons as I already had the Belfast, so I got doubloons at a 50% discount rate.

Iirc the only reason why a duplicate ship would be exchanged for less doubloons than its value would be that it's also available at discount via the techtree, in which case people got the doubloons equal to the discounted value from the techtree. If the ship isn't available via techtree at a discount, you always got 100% of the ship's worth in doubloons.

Not that it really amounts to anything considering that WG has significantly devaluated doubloons by pulling most of the premium ships available via ingame techtree. I'm currently sitting on a good bunch of doubloons with nothing of value to spend them on ...

• Cool 4

Beta Tester
2,223 posts
8,911 battles

The compensated doubloon value has always been

the ingame doubloon price

at the time of the purchase from the shop.

(Terms of Service 8.7:

full cost in gold

as at the time of purchase in the Premium Shop)

That is why it was not possible to make a good doubloon deal from ship bundles, when the ships themselves were discounted as well. 

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
2,982 posts
8,609 battles

Hi all,

10 minutes ago, _Helmut_Kohl_ said:

The compensated doubloon value has always been

the ingame doubloon price

at the time of the purchase from the shop.

(Terms of Service 8.7:

full cost in gold

as at the time of purchase in the Premium Shop)

That is why it was not possible to make a good doubloon deal from ship bundles, when the ships themselves were discounted all well. 

You are correct... but that was ONLY valid when ships were discounted in both "Premium Shop" and "Tech Tree"!

What we are taking about are special cases (like last year "Summer Sale" and this year "Steam DLC") where there were "Special Personal Offers" with limited time (i.e. the "Tech Tree" in-game price was NOT on discount - there was only "Special Personal Offer"). If you re-bought your "Premium" ships via such special "Personal Offer" you got FULL Doubloon reimbursement back (i.e. effectively getting 30% / 40% / 50% OFF the Doubloon price)!

Leo "Apollo11"

Beta Tester
2,223 posts
8,911 battles
5 minutes ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Hi all,

You are correct... but that was ONLY valid when ships were discounted in both "Premium Shop" and "Tech Tree"!

What we are taking about are special cases (like last year "Summer Sale" and this year "Steam DLC") where there were "Special Personal Offers" with limited time (i.e. the "Tech Tree" in-game price was NOT on discount - there was only "Special Personal Offer"). If you re-bought your "Premium" ships via such special "Personal Offer" you got FULL Doubloon reimbursement back (i.e. effectively getting 30% / 40% / 50% OFF the Doubloon price)!

Leo "Apollo11"

I know, I made good use of these deals.

There was even another trick before that:

Weekend Specials used to run from Saturday till Tuesday.

But the ship offers in the shop came up at Friday already.

So you were able to get the full doubloon price at a discount when you bought the ship from the shop at a discount at Friday already.

• Cool 1

[BONUS]
Beta Tester
1,046 posts

So @Tuccy, @MrConway, @Crysantos, what's going on? Why is the shop doing something different than what it's supposed to do according to the terms of service?

Is this some kind of bug/mistake or is it intentional?

[WG-EU]
WG Staff
2,159 posts
2,248 battles
4 minutes ago, Bellegar said:

So @Tuccy, @MrConway, @Crysantos, what's going on? Why is the shop doing something different than what it's supposed to do according to the terms of service?

Is this some kind of bug/mistake or is it intentional?

I'm looking into it as we speak and will let you know!

• Cool 9
  • Boring 1

[HAERT]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,001 posts
25 minutes ago, _Helmut_Kohl_ said:

That is why it was not possible to make a good doubloon deal from ship bundles, when the ships themselves were discounted all well.

You are right, but you aren't. Since the ships are not available in the techtree at all (anymore), and thus are not discounted in the first place. You should get your full doubloon value for them according to the terms & conditions, except you now don't. Which is... "questionable" (to put it mildly). 

And also in the same situation as Aotearas. Luckily I "own" the ships I desire already, so it's just some doubloons in the bank waiting on better times.

Beta Tester
2,223 posts
8,911 battles
7 minutes ago, MrFingers said:

You are right, but you aren't. Since the ships are not available in the techtree at all (anymore), and thus are not discounted in the first place. You should get your full doubloon value for them according to the terms & conditions, except you now don't. Which is... "questionable" (to put it mildly). 

And also in the same situation as Aotearas. Luckily I "own" the ships I desire already, so it's just some doubloons in the bank waiting on better times.

I think we are actually at the same side here:

My point is, that you should get the full doubloon price, unless there is a doubloon price change ingame.

So either the Atlanta ingame doubloon price dropped, or he should get his 9.000.

(Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. I just pointed out that there hasn't been a change in ToS as well)

Players
2,371 posts
6,689 battles

This seemed like a good reward for people who had already purchased a lot of premiums. I only already had Texas and most of those doubloons went into perma camos when those were on sale (which I hope will happen again at some time).

[BONUS]
Beta Tester
1,046 posts
9 minutes ago, MrConway said:

That was quick.

Well, we are eagerly awaiting any clarification :Smile_honoring:

[TEACH]
Alpha Tester
2,324 posts
9,090 battles

I think they would do rather well by lowering their overall prices because I believe they seriously overestimate the value of their ingame goods. If they lowered their prices you'd probably find a shift toward more premium accounts, etc. who knows, but they treat everything with a slash and burn mentality rather than a nurturing one. Perhaps this will help stop players trying to exploit a vulnerability when they see one. But we do have to be careful we don't accuse them of things we ourselves do as often as we can.

• Cool 4

[PMI]
Players
2,407 posts
5,634 battles

Since there has been no response, this one is probably low priority too.

Too bad, was the only way WG was going to get any more of my money...

• Cool 2

[BYOB]
Players
3,084 posts
11,119 battles
43 minutes ago, Juanx said:

Since there has been no response, this one is probably low priority too.

Too bad, was the only way WG was going to get any more of my money...

While I have a bit more patience I must say that if true, then WG will be seeing less of my money, as I already have most of the premiums I want (Emden goes on sale tomorrow).

Getting those cheaper doubloons was nice, especially to get premium camos on ships that I like.

• Cool 1

[B0TS]
Players
107 posts
11,718 battles

Good morning everyone!

I have a question about this new practice with giving players who already own the ship a reduced amount of doubloons.

• The Webshop offer is directed at a certain player, you must be logged in to see these specials, so they cannot be considered a "general offer" that later gets limited by some terms
  • The Webshop claims a "-15%" discount, for example the Duca D'Aosta package that came out today
  • This of course suggests a saving of 15%, compared to a standard price

Now a player that doesnt own this ship:

• He receives the entire ship (obviously), plus whatever else is in the bundle. So 100% of the advertised content
  • He pays 15% less than the claimed standard price
  • He actually did save 15%, because 100% of content for 85% of the price
  • Great!

But a player who already owns this ship:

• Keep in mind, a player who already owns the ship still is made this offer, the shop does not say in advance "wait a minute, you already have this..."
  • There also doesnt seem to be anywhere in the ToS or EULA any mention of this situation, the customer has no idea what to expect when he buys it. Other than of course, a saving of 15%
  • He cannot receive another ship (of course) so Wargaming credits the player with doubloons instead
  • But he doesnt receive the entire amount of doubloons. He receives only 85% of the value of the ship
  • He also receives whatever else is in the bundle
  • He pays 15% less than the claimed standard price
  • But he received also 15% less value
  • So 15% less content for 15% less paid, that is not a discount at all. Not in any form.
  • This customer was very mislead

So a discounted offer is advertised, but in reality, never given. Anyone see a problem here?

Thoughts? @Crysantos or @MrConway ?

• Cool 11

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
2,982 posts
8,609 battles

Hi all,

22 hours ago, MrConway said:

Thanks - much appreciated! :Smile_honoring:

BTW, any news regarding this and your investigation? :Smile_hiding:

Leo "Apollo11"

[B0TS]
Players
107 posts
11,718 battles
10 minutes ago, AmiralPotato said:

Sorry to highjack the thread, a small question:

I bought the graf spee at 50% discount some time ago. If I buy it again now, am I supposed to get doubloons at an interesting rate ?

It seems it would mean 4700d for 19E, compared to 5500d for 20E in the shop.

Thanks,

If you buy it again now, you will receive whatever the sale is, as reduced doubloons.

If the ship is at standard price on the shop for you, then you get full doubloons for the duplicate. But that doesnt make sense most of the time, you could just buy doubloons directly, unless you want the extra stuff that comes with some bundles.

If the ship is offered to you at, for example, -20% discount. Then you will receive only 80% of the usual doubloon value of the ship. Plus the other stuff from the bundle. Again, not worth it. You would be better off buying doubloons directly.

[V-I-P]
Players
10 posts
5,472 battles

If we could expect any consistency in the new "you only get back in doubloons what you've paid for an item"-politics...

That would actually mean getting a duplicate Tirpitz from a medium Santa's Box (assuming you have all premiums in port) would give you the equivalent of 2,69€ in doubloons? :cap_like:

We'll see some juicy threads if there is a Santa's event again! :cap_popcorn:

[B0TS]
Players
107 posts
11,718 battles
1 hour ago, Freyheidt said:

If we could expect any consistency in the new "you only get back in doubloons what you've paid for an item"-politics...

That would actually mean getting a duplicate Tirpitz from a medium Santa's Box (assuming you have all premiums in port) would give you the equivalent of 2,69€ in doubloons? :cap_like:

Oh god... dont give them ideas!

Beta Tester, In AlfaTesters
370 posts
7,318 battles
2 hours ago, Freyheidt said:

In that scenario don't you recieve the full value in credits instead though?

• Bad 1

[V-I-P]
Players
10 posts
5,472 battles
2 minutes ago, Benser said:

In that scenario don't you recieve the full value in credits instead though?

At least not 2017/18

"3) If you "roll" a ship that is already in your Port and you have already received all ships available in the Legion containers, a Santa Claus Legion container will be displayed on the container ship. After opening this container, you will see the “rolled” ship, but it will not be added to your Port. Instead, you will get the amount of Doubloons that is equal to the cost of the ship, a slot, and a Commander with 10 skill points."

• Cool 1