New Operation "Cherry Blossom"

50 comments in this topic

[WG-EU]
[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
2,741 posts
2,790 battles

Captains,

please leave any feedback about our new Operation Cherry Blossom in this thread.

[AEGIS]
Players
51 posts

The operation is fine, except for the night stuff. I thought this game was about outplaying one's opponents through strategic gameplay. Maybe some teamplay occasionaly. Not trying to distinguish what the [edited]is going on in the screen through the blackness.

Weekend Tester
1,040 posts
25,686 battles

Too much of EVERYTHING. Enemy ships, enemy planes, enemy torpedos. Who is the target audience for this ? 7 player unicum top clan divisions with team speak ? Or the average potato that has 27'000 average damage in 450 Conqueror games (and hell yeah, you better believe these players do exist) ? The average tomato will NEVER get 5 stars in this. I wonder how you want to top this in a future "hard mode". And I have a feeling Cleveland will be the only viable option thanks to def aa, sonar and radar all on one ship.

P.S.: Allied planes are bugged, they do not help against enemy planes, they just stay above the carriers. Which makes them pretty human-like in a sad way.

Edit: added attachement. No problem with our ptr clan (which happpens to have a lot of members from our live clan). Just in case someone thinks this is "endless potato whining exactly bcuz of that".

shot-18.06.07_21.26.24-0515.jpg

• Funny 2

[ANV]
Players
383 posts
7,310 battles

Trying to prevent one of the two regiments from being destroyed early on is very difficult - even racing flat-out in a CL you cant get close enough to dispatch enough of the DD/CLs to stop one of the regiments being wiped out... in the process of trying to race there the DD torp-spam tends to wipe out half of your team mates... which may not be a bad thing in and of itself.. but the longevity of the regiments is an issue.

Might want to make it more obvious that the two aerodromes need destroying... in 2 games so far team-mates have had no idea that those 2 aerodromes are killing requirements.

• Cool 2

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,455 battles

Love the operation, the night is by far the best part.

Look nice, forces some teamwork as far as radars & hydro are concerned (I already can see the endless potato whining exactly bcuz of that - but please, let them learn instead of making this easier)

Flares - learned it the hard way that you really don't want to get caught by them, bots are pretty good at focusing you down in situations like that. Do they have to have the same exact positions every time? Some bit of randomness would make the gameplay more interactive in that part

The "regiments" thing was confusing, I had no idea you mean those 2 buildings on the shore by that

Bombarding the airfields - do I correctly guess that you use HE on the runway itself and AP on the buildings next to it to cause damage? Definitely seemed that way. Also the Eastern-most airfield seems to have some issues with aiming at it - I had to aim well past the airfield itself for my shells to start falling on it instead of in front of it

My biggest issue with it is how few ships are allowed. There's what -> 5 silver + 1 premium? And again (2nd in a row) it's locked to "allied nations only". Fits the theme, of course, but then why isn't Narai limited to Japanese (or Japanese + German) only? Ships list should be expanded in some way (remove the nation limitations / allow multiple tiers / something like that)

[FMW]
Players
112 posts

- 70575 resupply cost

If this is going to happen when live, I can see it not being popular

shot-18_06.07_22_11.05-0762.thumb.jpg.90dba61f685abcc0474bb32c509afedc.jpg

• Cool 2

[BOBS2]
[BOBS2]
Players
516 posts
13,021 battles

Played twice, random teams. First time loss, second time was four stars. So okay for me as an average potato, which I am even if my stats in the Conqueror are a little better than those Caljostro cited.

Regiments seem rather hard to save, but I expect as people learn where things spawn and what to focus first that will become easier. Unless wilkatis_LV's sensible suggestion of some randomisation in the spawn points is implemented (if it isn't already, only played twice so I can't be sure). 

Radar seems better on my Edinburgh than smoke as need to keep moving and engaging.

Not sure where to shoot the airfields, had better luck when I was lobbing shells over the hills at one of them than when I could see it. Was glad to be doing what seemed like reasonable damage though as AP in Killer Whale is so underwhelming in its effects.

Transports are Liberty ships rather than Cimarron class, while text for condition says to save the Cimarrons. Not sure is worth pointing this out though with how the Rouan still has a different floaty-name after that was mentioned.

EDIT: Cynicism unjustified in this case. Text for condition, after the hour downtime, has been changed to say Liberty ships.

Agree that having 0XP and 0 credits does seem a rather drastic measure to prevent people farming operations. :cap_fainting:

(I know, is a bug... I hope)

Fun enough that I'm going to give it another few goes on the PTS and glad to have rebought the Eddy on the live server, even if it might be only for this (Co-Op and Operations seem to be where I play my cruisers these days).

[NUNC]
Players
33 posts
18,791 battles

Really fun scenario, but also quite hard.

Especially keeping those regiments alive.  Unless you completely learn all the spawn times by heart, it's almost impossible to save both of them with the sheer number of ships firing at it.  Without 2 or 3 radars in each game, I dont see this being completed.  

The airstrikes might also be a bit too much.  Unless you can get everyone together, they can strike pretty much through the AA-bubble of a full AA-specced Cleveland.  The fighter planes of the 2 carriers dont seem to actively target the torpedo squads.

Beta Tester
659 posts
12,465 battles

Where to aim when shooting the aerodromes is a little confusing and also aiming seems a little off

[TRRC]
Players
623 posts
2 hours ago, CptOddyB said:

- 70575 resupply cost

If this is going to happen when live, I can see it not being popular

You right!

And 4 out of 7 alive is hard. Played 2 times, first 4 out of 5 secondary task, but only 2 ships alive. Second one 3 tasks 1 ship alive.

The problem I think is really the cost, because you need to play some battles before you understand the tactic needed.

And on the PT even if I wrote in chat to the last 4 to stay alive, 2 of them didn't bother and went...:Smile_izmena: and died

But I agree with Oddy: you need your live Clan team to win that scenario

[ANV]
Players
383 posts
7,310 battles

Played this a few more times now...

The start, and keeping both regiments alive, is considerably harder than the rest of the mission:  After the "Regiments bit" the scenario is simple and straightforward to complete so long as you have 4 or 5 ships left.

The ability to heal via Bunker Hill helps, but its almost as if the AI becomes entirely passive after the 2 CVs enter the field of battle.... there are very few air attacks on the players with the AI concentrating almost exclusively on the two CVs... the only deaths I've seen to air attacks at this stage have been incidental ones where players have inadvertently sailed into the path of air-drop torpedoes that were launched at the AI - usually the Fletcher DDs or the carriers.

ATM my overall impression of the scenario is: If you survive the first section, and keep the regiments alive, the rest is simple... it could really do with some of the later cruisers and DDs being a tad more aggressive.

• Cool 1

[T-SW]
Players
2 posts
9,077 battles

Whith average potatoes pretty much undoable, and had some pretty nasty fps drops every 2 minutes.

• Cool 1

[SICK]
Weekend Tester
4,873 posts
10,143 battles

One thing to keep in mind, especially with the amount of people with Clevelands....

Anyone playing a Cleveland should have a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE red message on his screen telling him not to sit on repair point and snipe DDs from max range.
Anyone caught doing that should be banned from the operation.

By the way, in case it wasn't clear from previous scenarios...
Spamming IJN CAs with their nuke HE at cruisers with no heal is absolute madness.
When you add to that a flurry of long range torpedoes that pretty much force you to save the DCP for that inevitable torpedo hit....
When you add onto that IJN DDs firing their rather potent 127mm HE in mass...

THe only times we won was when our team yolo rushed the regiments at the start, taking rather bad damage from ignoring all the other ships, waiting a minute or two at the repair point, then half the remaining people sniping the airfield while the other half committed suicide on the defending AI.

Having an operation relying on random players voluntarily all the attention in cruisers getting slammed with 203mm IJN HE WITH NO REPAIR KIT is bonkers.
"How the hell did this even get approved for public test" bonkers.

It's not challenging, it's just stupid.

• Cool 1

[PKTZS]
Weekend Tester
2,448 posts
15,767 battles

I've counted 10 different cruisers (7 Myokos, 2 Aobas and 1 Atago) and 21 destroyers (16 Shiratsuyus, 3 Kageros and 2 Akizukis, some more to identify yet in the last waves) in the Japanese side. Far too much for the average player (at Ultimate Frontier level or worse).

Remove repair zone, leave carriers further in the back just as a support asset, and reduce the number of Japanese ships.

Japanese bombardment ships keep firing at the troops even when engaged by players team. No naval commander would keep shooting at land targets when a naval force is shooting at him. STUPID behaviour.

Also, the possibility to play as DDs for the Allied side should be added.

Illumination shells are stupid mechanic. Players can't use them. They appear randomly,  or in fixed positions (not sure because you are too focused in shooting the million Japanese ships around). Not needed at all.

Still, as Ultimate Frontier, it can be 5-stared with a good team.

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,455 battles
31 minutes ago, JapLance said:

Illumination shells are stupid mechanic. Players can't use them. They appear randomly,  or in fixed positions (not sure because you are too focused in shooting the million Japanese ships around). Not needed at all.

That's because those are Japanese illumination shells. In that battle US relied on their radar to aim (and found out that there's this slight problem that radar doesn't show - it's friendly ship or not :Smile_trollface:), while Japs tried to light up the US ships with their flares.

Read about "Battle of Empress Augusta Bay" to get some more info on the real battle behind this scenario :cap_like:

Players
4,529 posts
9,449 battles

Tried it 3 or 4 times, all were losses though.

It seems like a fun scenario and I did enjoy playing it, but there seemed to be too many ships defending and the eastern enemy airfield was kinda unreachable due to our team being unable to dispatch of the defenders so we could break through.

The western airfield was attackable, but Edinburgh (having only AP shells) was basically unable to do any significant amounts of damage.

At this time I don't want to cast my vote on this scenario yet till I've been able to complete it. But it seemed pretty fun so far.

20 minutes ago, Capra76 said:

There seems to be a bug with the rewards.

image.thumb.jpeg.a01398aa62ec9dc9aff62d0eb36af4c6.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.88b33788ae5ef2f654a406f5abf4f2d5.jpeg

Noticed the same thing.

Players
3,288 posts
15,196 battles

It's ageist!

:Smile_izmena:

There is a lot of research which shows that people's night vision gets worse as you get older.

(DYOR - google is your friend)

I am an old git older player, I could hardly see anything going on in the first part of the battle. The daylight part is OK though.

• Funny 1

Players
4,006 posts
7,573 battles

Top tip: use a cleveland with a spotter aircraft, with the range and arcs you can easily take out the aerodromes quickly and win the game for your team.

[BOBS2]
[BOBS2]
Players
516 posts
13,021 battles
1 hour ago, Capra76 said:

Top tip: use a cleveland with a spotter aircraft, with the range and arcs you can easily take out the aerodromes quickly and win the game for your team.

Not sure; one problem I've encountered, and which Jingles mentioned, is the goal to kill the enemy aircraft becoming impossible because there are none left to shoot down. So it would depend on whether things are going well enough you want to give the airfields a chance to launch more planes for the secondary goal or badly enough you want to win before anything else goes wrong.

Played it a bit more. Still think radar is better than smoke for my Edinburgh as with the reduced detection ranges at night if you're detected then they're within radar range, but radar can be carried by other ships so smoke might be better for teamplay, or for concealing the carriers once they stop moving. Not sure it matters either way though as people seem to do okay without any smoke being laid and dawn seems to come soon enough to not need to use radar much.

Good that scenario now gives some XP and credits, even if that means I got to see that I hadn't done as well as it felt in one game. :Smile_sad:

Still not sure where to shoot the airfields, still feels like my best results were when I was aiming over a hill at the floaty name and health bar. Wondering whether it would be better to split the airfield health between hangars and fuel tanks and bomb dumps and other buildings rather than having it in one big lump.

Players
4,006 posts
7,573 battles
15 minutes ago, Johmie said:

Not sure; one problem I've encountered, and which Jingles mentioned, is the goal to kill the enemy aircraft becoming impossible because there are none left to shoot down. So it would depend on whether things are going well enough you want to give the airfields a chance to launch more planes for the secondary goal or badly enough you want to win before anything else goes wrong.

Perhaps, I played a fair few games and the ones that were'nt lost early on tended to end up with everyone camping by the carrier then the clock runs down.  With the spotter you can sit far enough back to survive and end the game at any time of your chosing (I managed to take both bases out with one spotter plane).

Quality Poster
1,688 posts
9,170 battles

Yesterday, after about 5 tries in a row, finally got a win, but by no means a five star one, we got maybe three.

-Getting to the two regiments is too hard, they are too far away and under heavy fire, no matter what you do.

-Night time is a good idea, somewhat poorly executed. I think it looks fine, but the flares are not under the control of the player. Just something to avoid, or else you get shot at a bit more, but that didn't even really seem to matter. What is missing is a tactical ability, for YOU to use, to launch flares so YOU can see the enemy, instead of random areas. Also, night time is too short. Much more could be done with this, I'd hate to see one of the few really novel ideas in this game get shut down because it is poorly implemented and therefore not really popular/not working as intended.

-It is not clear where to aim on the aerodromes AND they are somewhat hidden behind a hill, so you need to run the gauntlet of tons of enemy ships before you can get to them.

-You need to haul [edited]to the regiments, then haul [edited]back to the fleet, then need to spend time to repair, then haul [edited]to the aerodromes, while getting attacked incessantly. That makes this one pretty tough. It is not undoable, as we got a three star win after a few tries, with just some random peeps, so a clan might be able to ace this, depending on what the conditions are. But maybe allow a single BB as well, which can stay behind, meet up with the incoming carriers, provide fire support from the rear and AA support to the CVs.

[BOBS2]
[BOBS2]
Players
516 posts
13,021 battles

Looks like I had been lucky before with my own performance and that of the team, or something other than the text saying "Liberty" ship now got tweaked. Still seems fine for difficulty though as I can potato my way through to an okay result without that result being because I've been carried and am bottom of the team.

Annoying to lose via running out of time, though on reflection I think the bots in Ultimate Frontier would feel the same way when they barely miss out on killing that airfield in time.

Decided to ignore the buildings of the airfields and just aim at the floaty-name and health-bar as that had worked when firing over the hill. And this did work much better than aiming at the visible buildings, and proved that Edinburgh AP does work (3 to 12k a salvo) on the airfields. But it is bloody counterintuitive to be aim at what looks like nothing and do reasonable damage and aim at hangars and other structures and do no damage.

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,455 battles
1 hour ago, TheCinC said:

but the flares are not under the control of the player.

Probably bcuz they are JAPANESE FLARES.

US ships used their radar for spotting