You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
LBTaylor1984

Mod advice

15 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
18 posts
892 battles

Greetings peeps.

I've seen some videos recently that show people playing with extra visual cues to the targeted ships positioning.  Some seem to show you the angle between your hull and the enemies.  I'm only interested as I'm having a bit of trouble working out the angles and if other are using these mods I feel at a disadvantage.  If there illegal of course then i'll have to continue to try and learn the angling better.

If there are any useful mods does anyone have a list or a link to pages showing what they do? 

Thanks.

Players
944 posts
5,479 battles

Aslain's mod pack has the mod you are looking for (called Navigator), and let's you preview everything before you install it too. These mods are allowed.

Only problem is that you have to update all mods after each patch.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,361 posts
5,279 battles

I think this is the one you mean: https://world-warships.com/battle-angle-for-world-of-warships/

This one is legal according to WG, but honestly you can work out the angle yourself with a bit of learning so for me the practical use is of little value. But again it is legal and could be a good learning tool.

[W-C]
Players
470 posts
2,000 battles
11 minutes ago, ollonborre said:

can work out the angle yourself with a bit of learning

Any tips on this? I try to gauge based on minimap but is there a better/other way to do it in binocular view?

14 minutes ago, LBTaylor1984 said:

show you the angle between your hull and the enemies

I did use that Navigator mod, along with a few other graphical mods and the 'X on the map' - it felt like they made it easier whilst using them, but it did feel a bit like cheating (but legal by WG so don't let that put you off) so I run vanilla now. In practice, I didn't experience a massive impact either way  [edit: although to warn you, you may well feel a bit lost when 'weaning' back off it if using it for a short-term training crutch!] - probably because I am a total potato:Smile_teethhappy:. It's nicer playing with less UI clutter!

Beta Tester
1,361 posts
5,279 battles
3 minutes ago, Rusty_9 said:

Any tips on this? I try to gauge based on minimap but is there a better/other way to do it in binocular view?

With the addition of that little line it has become easier with both the minimap and using the binos. But I primarily use the binos, and the way I do it is simply looking at  how the ships move (sounds obvious, but that is seriously the way I do it). I find it hard to explain why since it comes pretty natural, but try to use both the compass in the bottom left and the heading of the enemy ship. That way you can work out your own angle to the enemy ship and thus you can see the angle of the enemy ship.

That is how it works for me atleast.

• Cool 1

Players
272 posts
7,136 battles

Vanilla WOWS adds more and more functionality. As said, the line indicator makes this obsolete IMO, especially in combo with proper reticle (which is IMO definitely not the default one). 

So i'd say just dont use mods, i prefer using vanilla to its full extent

[JR-IT]
Alpha Tester
744 posts
7,151 battles

Imho the navigator is the most powerfull mod you can install. Why?

- it tells you if the enemy ship is manouvering and give you an advantage of 1-2 secs over the ones running vanillas ( trust me, with ypur eyeball mk1 ypu can't see a course correction of 5°)

-it tells you if the enemy ship is coming slightly  towards you and away from you ( that sometimes, especially in the maps with the sun, is difficult to see), and usually that gives you the idea of where the enemy is going to angle towards when avoiding your hit and in the hand of a good player is the difference between a 5-10k shot and a dev strike

- it tells you in those close quarters combat when to fire: the difference between firing at an enemy at 59 and 61° is again, the difference between a 15k salvo and a 50k one. 

- it tells you when you can angle enough to fire all your guns and still be in autobounce territory ( extremely useful in mid-tier cruiser with torps when yoloing a bb).

Another great mod is the "X" marker, on the minimap. This, in the hand of a good player allows you:

-To be deadly accurate when firing at enemies in smoke ( even though with spotter plane and just traking the enemy shells gives you the same results, again when used by a good player)

- to fires blindshots at enemies  during storms/hurricanes ( that poor neptune who got double citadelled by my iowa 18 kms away in a storm...)

- to fire shots at ships behinds islands so  yours shots land exacly when they come out of islands cover  ( usually broadisiding).

Imho those are great mods, but you needs experience to gain fully the advantages that they give you. 

( i would also recommends the inproved teams panels that shows you the hp of all the enemies/ allies, because a lot of time it gives you an idea of why you can still win/lose even when you have a great numerical advantage)

[OGHF]
Players
634 posts
11,484 battles
17 minutes ago, Flavio1997 said:

Another great mod is the "X" marker, on the minimap. This, in the hand of a good player allows you:

-To be deadly accurate when firing at enemies in smoke ( even though with spotter plane and just traking the enemy shells gives you the same results, again when used by a good player)

- to fires blindshots at enemies  during storms/hurricanes ( that poor neptune who got double citadelled by my iowa 18 kms away in a storm...)

- to fire shots at ships behinds islands so  yours shots land exacly when they come out of islands cover  ( usually broadisiding).

This is the reason X marks the spot should be banned!

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[JR-IT]
Alpha Tester
744 posts
7,151 battles
1 hour ago, Cyclops_ said:

This is the reason X marks the spot should be banned!

I have to agree especially for the advantage ot gives you during the hurricanes and a bit less for the islands things, you can still do it without it ( even though  now they have sped up the "go to minimap" transition)

[ADRIA]
Players
4,585 posts
6,874 battles
3 hours ago, LBTaylor1984 said:

Some seem to show you the angle between your hull and the enemies.

That's introduced in-game on your minimap this patch (direction lines)

Also Aslains has pretty much all of those, go through them on your own pace and check what you want / don't want to have

http://aslain.com/

Players
1,519 posts
13,290 battles
10 minutes ago, Cyclops_ said:

@Bics93, you put a thumbs down on my post, can you give a reason why please?

Guess he really needs the mod to shoot. lol

• Funny 1

Weekend Tester
769 posts
3,524 battles

The Vanilla client has been improved to the point that I don't use mods anymore and haven't for a couple of years, none are really necessary imo with the information you get as standard. There are mods which give you additional information, such as the angles one you're talking about, but for me many of these cross the line into giving an unfair advantage. They're officially legal though, so using them is fine.

Players
796 posts
8,317 battles

Remember when all of these things actually required skill? Like shooting the invisifiring dds back in the day trained you for shooting into smoke. *sigh*

Now you have a mod for this and for that while if you practice you can do the same things without all the mods. 

Either everyone should get the option to use them in the vanilla client to have an equal playing field or they should be banned. 

Players
152 posts
4,302 battles

also, try out the direction mod.Not sure if thats the correct name.
When enemy ship goes forward it has a green dot above the ship, if backwards its purle, if stopped its red.
You can always judge this from the way the smoke of the enemy ship sails, but its still usefull for behind island campers.

About the crosshair i used a couple from the mod but in the end i ended up using vanilla static 7 or 8 when on dds and vanilla dynamic on bbs.
I have currently switched to the dynamic everywhere.You can try them out for fun and training if you want, nothing bad with that.
To see if an enemy ship is turning in or out, assuming he is broadside:
-lock target on him (press x if it didnt happen manually)
-align the horizontal line of your crosshair to the water line
-unlock
-observe if the ship moves below or above your horizontal line

Another extremely useful mod i use is the side panels that show ship health.
Imagine you are in a gunboat dd vs a cruiser and you are trying to cap.You are the last 2 ppl left.
His last known position shows him pushing you.
Normally i would run away and try to whore some torp damage.
But with this mod you know his health.So if for example he is down to 3-4-5k hp and you are full hp, you could set up a trap behind an island, to catch him broadside and AP the frak-outta-his-sorry-[edited]being the hero of the match.

I am only using useful mods and not reskins,graphics etc so after each patch i only have to download 100mb and not a couple of gigas as some of my friends.
And as many people said before, you can either learn to do all the above by yourself or use the mod to teach yourself or just be lazy like me and depend on the mod since its legal.