Sign in to follow this  
Seiranko

Yorck vs Algerie

10 comments in this topic

[POI--]
Players
3,890 posts
5,016 battles

So, yesterday, I got from Nürnberg to Yorck. I played a few battles in it, before going to sleep and it didn't go too bad. I knew it has terrible AP performance and works around spamming HE and that kind of works out. Having not much experience with Yorck yet, but having gone through Algerie, may I ask people, do they play alike? Are there any reasons to consider Yorck any better than Algerie, except better hydro (if you don't just go for defAA)  instead of the speed boost and getting more torpedoes but garbage AP?

I'm mostly asking because I found Algerie... kind of underwhelming. It's ok at setting fires, it has nice handling. It's got range. But the damage is not too great and if you just try farm fire damage all game you have low impact, resulting in frustrating games and terrible winrate. Something like IFHE Shchors has a damage output that really melts BBs, it deletes DDs if it has to and it can go against cruisers with AP, if pressed in the role, thus, I feel like it has much more impact (not going into how much impact premium T7 cruisers with radar have). Algerie... eh. If you do get citadel pens, you can kill cruisers, I guess, but against DDs, don't think there's a less scary T7 cruiser and for BBs, it's mainly the fires that annoy people, but it's healable DoT. and the torp armament is kind of there to annoy people too, but nothing you can use to delete enemies with, like with Shchors quad launcher or the German torpedoes (I'd even give Atlanta better grades in close range torp potential).

Is Yorck any better in this regard, or am I to strap in for damage farming and low impact? Or am I just doing it all wrong and there is something I missed that makes these ships actually able to carry their weight more?

Both ships look quite nice though.

[KOKOS]
Players
14 posts
6,658 battles

Both Yorck and Algérie work as an intermediate ship between the light and heavy cruisers of their respective lines. As such, both of them are generally played at range with HE as it can be quite difficult to get in close to utilise their AP effectively (due to their armour). As such, one can play at mid range to find out what the friendly and enemy team do. With this, one can move in closer around islands on a weaker flank to: ambush lone enemy destroyers, fire some AP salvos on the broadside of enemy cruisers, perhaps a surprise torpedo attack on an enemy battleship or get a free capture zone. Of course, sometimes it is better to be opportunistic and at other times, it is better to be safe. This means that one can be cautious as these ships do not boast neither the greatest rate of fire nor armour and should disengage when there are already a large number of enemies at one's flank. If this is the case, then play at range and utilise the HE.

In ideal circumstances, these will help improve one's ability to do more than just ranged HE attacks and hopefully should give a better outlook on how to use these ships.

To summarise, these ships are best played at range (especially when a flank is heavy in battleships and HE cruisers) and can play in close quarter combat to use their AP or torpedoes (but be sure not to expose one's broadside or overextend so one can go back to long ranged combat until another opportunity arises). :fish_boom:

[SCRUB]
Supertester
3,200 posts
3,240 battles

I haven'T played the Yorck, but from the comments I've read and heard, Algerie has better AP at range (I can vouch for Algerie's AP being able to citadel cruisers at edge-of-range), also Algerie has better turret traverse and identical ballistics on both shell types.

[POI--]
Players
3,890 posts
5,016 battles
1 hour ago, piritskenyer said:

I haven'T played the Yorck, but from the comments I've read and heard, Algerie has better AP at range (I can vouch for Algerie's AP being able to citadel cruisers at edge-of-range), also Algerie has better turret traverse and identical ballistics on both shell types.

Yes, Yorck AP becomes crap fast past 10 km. I made a training room to test the AP performance against same tier cruisers and the only thing that too citadels up to pretty much 12 km was broadside Shchors. Yorck is around 8 km, Myoko is around 7, NO and Algerie hold up best, with NO having only taken citadels at very close range and Algerie having never taken a citadel at all (it eventually died to normal AP pens). Up to 10 km, you can also hurt BBs with standard penetrations.

Algerie also has better fire chance, I think.

In battle, I so far prefer the Yorck. Main reason for that being that with German hydro, I feel more able to provide utility and with 4x3 torpedoes (6 per side), going for a brawl is actually viable, whereas an Algerie has a harder time at that. I bet there are those who'll think Algerie is better overall (and they might not be wrong), but while in Algerie I managed to get a ton of losses, so far, Yorck seems to work out and I'm only about to get the B hull and thus have a fully fitted out ship.

[TPB]
Players
26 posts
3,941 battles

Didn't play Algerie, but kind of enjoyed the Yorck against all odds.  As long as you keep long range HE spamming BBS and close range brawl everything else, the combo of good maneuverability, good armor, torps and devastating AP guns at short range will make up for ridiculous archs and long reload. Just avoid mid range fights :)

[NWP]
Players
731 posts
6,300 battles

I struggled with Yorck for the first half of the grind, but once I "got" her, enjoyed it much more.

Algerie is a fantastic ship, but nothing brawls like a Yorck. She's a good introduction to high tier German play; by all means spam HE from range, but when it's man-pants time, get close and reap cuts while popping off torps. It's an exciting playstyle and viable from Yorck to Hindenburg (with Room being slightly different).

[POI--]
Players
3,890 posts
5,016 battles

Indeed, I like the Yorck so far. I liked the Nürnberg too, but the York is a slightly different playstyle, yet with some similarities. The torpedoes are pretty much what makes the Yorck to me more enjoyable than Algerie. With this many torpedoes, you really can go for the kill. Unlike something like Shchors, the ship also isn't massive and is actually maneuverable. Can't wait for Hipper with the 27 mm bow armour.

[TPB]
Players
26 posts
3,941 battles
1 minute ago, Riselotte said:

Indeed, I like the Yorck so far. I liked the Nürnberg too, but the York is a slightly different playstyle, yet with some similarities. The torpedoes are pretty much what makes the Yorck to me more enjoyable than Algerie. With this many torpedoes, you really can go for the kill. Unlike something like Shchors, the ship also isn't massive and is actually maneuverable. Can't wait for Hipper with the 27 mm bow armour.

based on what I have heard I ll skip the Hipper and go directly to Roon...

[POI--]
Players
3,890 posts
5,016 battles
35 minutes ago, Muki321 said:

based on what I have heard I ll skip the Hipper and go directly to Roon...

Well, what I heard was that it had bad dpm, which got slightly buffed a short while ago. I'm actually grinding the line to get to Hipper, though moving further to Roon and Hindenburg I do consider. Given I'm also grinding a few other lines, one has to set priorities.

Players
140 posts
6,511 battles
20 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

Well, what I heard was that it had bad dpm

True, when compared to other T8 cruisers Hipper has bad theoretical dpm.

But Hipper/Eugen (and Baltimore) have 27mm bow/deck that allows them to bounce 381mm and smaller AP shells, and unlike Baltimore; Hipper/Eugen come with 4x3 torpedoes, so in those 1v1 situations vs Bismarck's/Alsace's/etc. they have that that close-range alpha potential that Baltimore lacks, not to mention that German turtle-back can cause some really troll moments.

Furthermore, as you might know, German Cruisers from T4 onward have 1/4 HE pen rule, giving them free, improved IFHE, and ability to penetrate 50mm plates found on Moska, Khabarovsk, Bismark, Currywurst etc, something that US/French/IJN CA's can't do even with IFHE skill.

All in all, I'm Currently at York, grinding towards Hipper and really anticipating to get access to ship with more reliable armor and AP shells

Sign in to follow this