Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Slagathor_

Wierd and Odd Play Stats

21 comments in this topic

Players
6 posts
7,608 battles

About a month ago after playing relatively well I turned, overnight, into a numpty.

Out of the last 60 games I have lasted more than 5 minutes in 8 of them. The other times I am the 1st 2nd or 3rd person sunk, no matter what ship I choose from New Mexico to Z-39. The bigger the ship the more almost instant targets I get.

Often within 30 seconds, up to 10 ships are targeting and shooting at me, their aim is uncanny and very accurate, its weird and to be honest I am getting a complex. One ship I pumped 36 x 150mm shells on target and got him down to 60% they fired one salvo and reduced my health down to 2%.

I appreciate they may be bots, but they should be identified as bots or tone down their accuracy, smoke doesn't deter the hit rate and random weaving just seems to make things easier.

This evening I had 7 of my ships in battle at one time I died that quickly.

I appreciate some people will just call it sour grapes or being a noob or blah de blah, but I just wondered if anyone had seen the same and, other than getting better at the game if anything can be done about it.

• Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
6,009 battles

Stop trying to buy your way up.

Learn to play before moving up the tiers.

The bots tend to play better than many players, you may want to head back into coop, will help you a lot.

[CRU_]
Players
173 posts
6,506 battles

Are you referring to PvE? as i don't fully understand your bot comment.

As for your losing streak, it happens to everyone, the best advice, though it is harder to do than understand, is to close the game when you're on a bad run. It may be due to a number of factors, but one thing is true, if you're letting your losses affect your play, then you will lose more. The effect can be very subtle.

Something else worth trying is going back to basics. What are your ships strengths, what are it's weaknesses, and play to maximize it's strengths. Alongside that is playing the objective, it's insane how many players are playing a deathmatch, and only realize the game is lost too late, when the enemy hold 3 caps. then they rant about not getting support against the cv they were chasing.

Lastly there is a fundamental misunderstanding about how stats actually work. Getting a ten game losing streak is not evidence that WG are rigging against you, it's known as variance, just like that ten game wining streak you had, which you thought was because you were so awesome, is actually more than likely variance. The actual percentage where you have a large enough impact to determine the outcome of the game could be only 5% of your games played. Very very good players "carry" more often than 5% (random percentage i made up), because they make better decisions through experience/knowledge more consistently, and make less crap decisions. That is what git gud is.

Go back to basics, learn the strengths of your boat, and the weaknesses of the boats it faces, then minimize the impact of your weaknesses. Or you could do what i do get smashed drunk and crash into crap for fun.

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
20,391 posts
12,536 battles

No human is that bad.

A cat sitting on a keyboard and "commanding" a ship would keep her ship longer alive.

• Cool 2

[TOXIC]
Players
4,529 posts
11,480 battles
4 hours ago, Slagathor_ said:

after playing relatively well

Very relatively, I'm afraid...

But really, you seem to be well on your way to identifying your problem yourself - you throw your ships away and that makes you lose a lot. Work on your positioning, don't expose broadsides so much, don't go on glorious charges against multiple enemies and, well, just work on NOT dying in the first 5 minutes all the time. It seems like you focus on dealing damage so much that you completely expose your ships' weaknesses in the process and end up punished for it. So you die early and you end up not even dealing these significant numbers of damage you wanted (your guns don't shoot once you're on the bottom, after all).

• Cool 2

[PAPAT]
Players
338 posts
12,135 battles

Every time there is a bigger patch deployed, my recent winrate drops from 60-70% to this latest one like 14,78%. Such fun. If you want to complete some missions and daily bonuses, closing the game is not an option.

[ONE2]
Players
2,939 posts
17,656 battles

Hiyah took a look at your stats and it indeed seems like you are just trying to progress through the tiers a tad too hastily. Take your time lad, there's no hurry and still plenty to learn. The game gets progressively harder, as you go up the tiers, so it is to be expected that your winrate would go down, as you go up. That's nothing to worry about, it will improve again, as you get more practice.:cap_old:

You also seem to have a bit of this and that in your ship selection.It is always easier to get good results, if you do not begin with wildly varying ships in your roster. For example. Concentrating first on the German Cruiser line and learning to do well in them. Do not necessarily swerve to Japanese or French ones for the time being, just concentrate on this one line first. Then, once you feel you are doing really well in them. Go up the tiers in that same line (as the ships play somewhat the same and the shell velocity and so forth - Aiming is easier) is also very much the same too. This will improve your results. :Smile_Default:

Also, getting killed right in the beginning would indicate that you play quite aggressively and possibly too much so. You see, if you are the very first  and the only ship the enemy sees, they will all naturally shoot at you and no matter what ship you are in, if you get 154 shells coming at you all at once the game IS going to be a short one, so exercise patience lad. Also a simple rule-of thumb, know your concealment and always assume that everyone will be shooting at you immediately, when you get spotted and/or fire your first salvo. So make your evasion plan in advance before firing that fateful first shot or whenever approaching the front line - Anticipate getting spotted and when you are start evasive maneuvers immediately, do not just wait until you start getting hit because by that time it is already too late.:cap_yes:

For example, position yourself some 5 - 6 km behind a friendly DD. So that your concealment range and his are roughly at the same distance. This way, he will be able to spot the enemy a little before you are spotted. Enabling you to fire a salvo at the enemy DD before you are spotted (first strike) and at the same time, perhaps make sure that before that before you do that, you are already making a turn to evade incoming shells, which will surely have been fired immediately you came into view. This way you will stand a good chance of evading hit or at the least minimizing their number and impact. So keep dodging, even in a Battleship. And of course, DO NOT YOLO, but move in sync with the rest of your team. If no-one else is going the same way you are, then just change course and follow them rather that trying to continue on your own. That is a sure way to and early grave in any boat (yeah, do that even if you don't like where they are going).:Smile_amazed:

Sadly, in this game your success depends entirely on the team's success as a whole. So therefore, while I do not support sk. Lemming tactic in any way, shape or form, you will have to take the other team members actions and positioning into account, when considering your own. Basically just ry to avoid situations, where you are the only target for several enemy ships. That never works out well for some strange reason.:Smile_ohmy:

ship.jpg.9cb082c71a9e082c75870d74cbfc4cf5.jpgplosion.jpg.0a912ff382775daf9b1135bb744d992c.jpg

@Slagathor_

• Cool 2

[-T-O-]
Alpha Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,185 posts
6,367 battles

@Slagathor_ hate to make any spoilers for you but it is you who's the problem. Not the team.

[ANV]
Players
409 posts
7,561 battles
2 hours ago, Slagathor_ said:

Appreciate all the advice chaps, happy hunting

Cruiser Rule #1: Never be the first ship spotted in a game.

Sadly PvE teaches you that to get * a good score* you need to rush in like a madman before all the juicy enemy ships are killed and there is no XP left for you... because you didn't rush middle like a lunatic.

When one takes that approach into Random games you simply become the juicy XP for other people... you will die fast and die often.

Took me about 1200 games before I bothered to work out why I was so utterly crap at this game...so, don't feel burdened by a poor start... lots of us have been there or still are there.

I also fell foul of the Free XP trap "If I can only get a higher tier ship, I will do better!".   erm... turns out: NOT: - it gets worse.

"If I buy a premium ship I will do better!" (Atago, Scharny) - turns out - NOT - you get worse.

So after "thoroughly ruining any chance of me getting decent stats", at around 1700 games, I started to actually do some research and watch a lot of youtube, then go back to low tiers and start again, no premiums, no free-xp purchases.

It works.

My stats are better and whilst I am still not massively bothered by them, they are a good guide as to how well I am doing *for my own purposes*.  As a guide to improving, they are useful... don't be too bothered by them beyond that...

Use somewhere like WoWs-numbers *progress* chart to keep an eye if you are improving or not.

Try not to be a burden to your team... very poor players, with no effort at improving, can rather spoil the game for others (like tier 10 CV players with 18% win rate, suicidal DDs, people who don't realise they can stop shooting and still win, lots of reasons)

If you don't know what you should be doing in a game - ask... most people won't help, a few will, but either way its hard to blame you for frakking up if nobody bothered to offer any help. 

Try not to rant in chat at crap teams - if you succeed in that, pls tell me how you did it.

Use Sunscreen. 

(Only the oldies might get that reference)

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Players
6 posts
7,608 battles

Just read this Antenociti, made me chuckle, and yes I do remember the reference, and you are right about trying to progress as fast as possible, although my stats actually never really bothered me.

I am trying a more Zen approach, at the moment I am learning who to avoid, any BB T9+, any DD T9+ and any T10 cruiser!

It still irritates me when people shoot, and hit, through smoke, but again go in circles and that helps, what drives me spare though are three things,

1 - being hit by an unseen ship from way across the map and them doing 80%+ damage in one salvo, love to learn how they do that.

2 - People in chat banging on about "how crap the team is" and how much better they are. One guy started trolling me about camping when I was doing 40 knots in a dd, and then when the match finished carried on in person to person chat, still when you have the whole world playing you going to get the odd nutter.

3 - The feeling that everyone is picking on you, often in the rush to capture I am surrounded by teammates, I zoom in & fire off a few rounds, then zoom out, look at the map and everyone has buggered off, and half the enemy fleet has me targeted. I just need to get over myself and realise that I would do the same in their shoes, and have done.

Anyway, a belated thanks for the note.

Slagathor

• Cool 1

Players
2,844 posts
14,993 battles
On 6/6/2018 at 1:20 AM, Slagathor_ said:

I appreciate some people will just call it sour grapes or being a noob or blah de blah, but I just wondered if anyone had seen the same and, other than getting better at the game if anything can be done about it.

No disrespect. 

Your survival rate in your DDs is very bad.  It seem like you are over playing these ships

although my stats actually never really bothered me.

Your stats are a tool to help you.

Players
1,719 posts
17,113 battles
4 hours ago, Slagathor_ said:

1 - being hit by an unseen ship from way across the map and them doing 80%+ damage in one salvo, love to learn how they do that.

2 - People in chat banging on about "how crap the team is" and how much better they are. One guy started trolling me about camping when I was doing 40 knots in a dd, and then when the match finished carried on in person to person chat, still when you have the whole world playing you going to get the odd nutter.

3 - The feeling that everyone is picking on you, often in the rush to capture I am surrounded by teammates, I zoom in & fire off a few rounds, then zoom out, look at the map and everyone has buggered off, and half the enemy fleet has me targeted. I just need to get over myself and realise that I would do the same in their shoes, and have done.

1 - They don't do much besides taking the correct lead. You a.k.a. the target allows them to do 80%+ damage in one salvo. When the shells are in the air for 10+ seconds you have a lot of time to react if you see them coming. This if is called situational awareness, it keeps a cruiser alive. The higher the tier the more of it you need. Plus there are two captain skills which can help with that: Priority Target (love it) and Incoming Fire Alert (hate it, others love it).

2 - There is a useful tool for that: Hold Tab to show all players, right click the player in question, select 'hide chat messages' (don't know the exact phrase), enjoy the silence.

3 - No one can bugger off in seconds unless they get devastated. Pay more attention to the map and there will be less surprises.

Players
743 posts
8,755 battles
On 6/6/2018 at 9:20 AM, Slagathor_ said:

About a month ago after playing relatively well I turned, overnight, into a numpty.

Out of the last 60 games I have lasted more than 5 minutes in 8 of them. The other times I am the 1st 2nd or 3rd person sunk, no matter what ship I choose from New Mexico to Z-39. The bigger the ship the more almost instant targets I get.

Often within 30 seconds, up to 10 ships are targeting and shooting at me, their aim is uncanny and very accurate, its weird and to be honest I am getting a complex. One ship I pumped 36 x 150mm shells on target and got him down to 60% they fired one salvo and reduced my health down to 2%.

I appreciate they may be bots, but they should be identified as bots or tone down their accuracy, smoke doesn't deter the hit rate and random weaving just seems to make things easier.

This evening I had 7 of my ships in battle at one time I died that quickly.

I will have days where I die quickly a few games in a row. It basically means I'm too tired or lazy to be playing. You need map awareness and a degree of circumspection to survive the first few minutes if you aren't one of those people who runs for the map edge as soon as the game starts. Much of the game is about knowing where the enemy might be concentrating from the few you can see. React as soon as you are detected and I tend to sail at an angle so I can turn away more quickly.

And the most important rule is do not sail in front of islands. It makes you much too predictable for torpedoes and guns. 

Players
56 posts
4,413 battles
On 6/6/2018 at 4:38 AM, ColonelPete said:

No human is that bad.

A cat sitting on a keyboard and "commanding" a ship would keep her ship longer alive.

When my cat sits on the keyboard, I shift him off quick.

[JRM]
Players
3,307 posts
18,738 battles

What about when the cat is sleeping on the keyboard? My tomcat used to do that all the time :cat_paw:

[H_FAN]
Players
2,262 posts
31,869 battles
2 hours ago, cometcruiser said:

When my cat sits on the keyboard, I shift him off quick.

Yesterday I played my Dreadnought for the first time, my cat put out the internetcable, when I returned I was down to 500 hp but an enemy Kaiser with 40000  hp or so had the excellent idea to ram me , which sank me and left him at 1000 or so and sank later, made me nr 3 in the list. Ended with 65000 dmg made, and we won!

So cats can be good players!!:cat_cool:

Players
56 posts
4,413 battles
On 11/18/2018 at 8:22 AM, Gnirf said:

Yesterday I played my Dreadnought for the first time, my cat put out the internetcable, when I returned I was down to 500 hp but an enemy Kaiser with 40000  hp or so had the excellent idea to ram me , which sank me and left him at 1000 or so and sank later, made me nr 3 in the list. Ended with 65000 dmg made, and we won!

So cats can be good players!!:cat_cool:

Just last night, he jumped on at the start of a game and unloaded a full broadside into the water from my Nelson, right near a team mate.  Waiting for the day I turn pink because of the Cat.

Players
4,707 posts
8,425 battles
26 minutes ago, cometcruiser said:

Just last night, he jumped on at the start of a game and unloaded a full broadside into the water from my Nelson, right near a team mate.  Waiting for the day I turn pink because of the Cat. 

My cat always activates my consumables.

Beta Tester
4,213 posts
17,250 battles

Easy solution:

Stop playing CoOp - no more bots to shoot at you... ^^

Players
182 posts
2,959 battles
On 11/17/2018 at 11:53 PM, Slagathor_ said:

You should make a habit (especially on BBs because you have the time anyway while reloading) to zoom out after every shot, this way you have much better picture about what is going on around you, also making minimap bigger (and enabling last known positions) helps lot. Oh and zoom in and out with shift-key don't use mousewheel.

And for your original question I would suggest something that I thought I would never say to anyone playing BB -> actually try to camp a little further away :) I mean if you are first to die even in BB you are rushing in too fast.

And enemies are dealing lots of damage to you when you show your side to them (aka broadsiding) they can then hit your citadel and deal massive damage. You can learn about armor angling from some content creator in youtube.

Sign in to follow this