LBTaylor1984

US BB tips please

21 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
18 posts
892 battles

Hi peeps,

can anyone give me some tips on playing US BB.

I've got the NC and the IOWA and they seem like complete junk.  They take a stupid amount of damage so i'm always angled or bow tanking, but the shell dispersion is god awful, the armour is weak. i've tried hanging back the shell dispersion is making it impossible, I get in close and i get wrekt.

Seriously

I played all the proceeding ships no real issues, I can play RN BB and again all is well I just don't get it.

Did the patch ruin US BB or something?

If i do play these ships and survive I lose tens of thousands of credits, so clearly something is wrong.  Prior to the NC I was making 50-125k a match?

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
14,653 posts
10,873 battles

From NC on US BB have very precise guns. Since the shells are slower than earlier shells, you have to aim a bit differently.

In high Tier, positioning is very important and not easily learned. It takes time.

Btw the game is designed that way that it is harder to earn credits on higher Tiers. Get premium, get better or play some mid Tier games.

• Boring 1

Beta Tester
18 posts
892 battles

Ahh ok

that was my biggest concern.

I'm losing money hand over fist at this point so i was a bit curious about how to change that.  Sure I get it's free to play but it went from playing a win some, lose some.  But now it's like i'm losing 30-40k a match.

More premium ships I guess lol.

[POI--]
Players
3,878 posts
5,011 battles
3 hours ago, LBTaylor1984 said:

Ahh ok

that was my biggest concern.

I'm losing money hand over fist at this point so i was a bit curious about how to change that.  Sure I get it's free to play but it went from playing a win some, lose some.  But now it's like i'm losing 30-40k a match.

More premium ships I guess lol.

I'd recommend just trying to improve. Move onwards to the next tier when you make comfortable credit gains on your current tier. Just watch some of those youtubers or read about stuff on the boards and you'll see, you'll make credit gains.

• Cool 1

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles

You can make a small profit at T8 and break even at T9, but you need to be playing "above average" to do that. In particular, you need more damage and especially more damage as % of targets HP. BBs are also generally more expensive to run. And if you're talking about co-op then all bets are off regarding making money at high tiers.

Anyway, I would counter your observations by saying NC and Iowa are amongst the most accurate BBs in game. Are you using the dispersion mod in the last upgrade slot on Iowa? You're also comparing experience at T6/7 to T8/9. It's a different game. You say you play RN BB but seems your experience is mostly Warspite and Hood, both of which are quite unique and very different from the main line RN BBs. The T8 and 9 RN equivalents to NC and Iowa are more fragile and less accurate.

You probably just need to position better and spend more time getting used to how the guns handle. There is an art to using the speed of the ships to stay in that mid-range sweet spot (about 12km to 16km) where you're close enough to be deadly accurate but far enough to not "get wrecked" as you say. It's a balance that only comes with practice. The ships don't hold your hand anymore, training wheels are off.

As for bow tanking, NC is good at it, Iowa only sort of. She can do it but it's risky because once committed it's basically impossible to get out and it's fairly easy to flank an Iowa for massive damage. Plus, why would you want to limit your options like that when you've got THE fastest BB in game.

Both these ships are stealthy and mobile. Sneak, reposition, practice your aim and nail unsuspecting targets. NC can do the more traditional "push and tank" style of the earlier ships, especially if top tier. Iowa is much more a flanker, you can basically play her like an enormous cruiser. Or like Hood actually...

• Cool 1

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,064 posts
6,701 battles

Play Iowa like a mid-range hunter. NC too actually works like that but is also a great tank when top tier.

With Iowa, move constantly at around 12-13km of the enemy fleet. Use the concealment to disappear between shot, and tank by kiting and staying angled. This ship is very accurate with the Dispersion mod in the last slot. Use the concealment to never shoot the same target. This way, even with Priority Target they won't know that an Iowa is focusing them, and each of your salvoes will do big damages.

Iowa is a ship to be played by moving constantly, using its mobility, concealment and firepower.

If needed, of course, angle and tank for your team. You're still a BB with very good armor and you need to use it.

• Cool 1

[W-C]
Players
421 posts
1,775 battles
24 minutes ago, VC381 said:

NC can do the more traditional "push and tank" style of the earlier ships, especially if top tier. Iowa is much more a flanker, you can basically play her like an enormous cruiser.

This is timely, as I'm hoping to begin playing the USN BB line soonTM. I ground through Wyoming just to get to the CV's, but never really 'clicked' with her (understatement!) - probably largely due to poor positioning. For the USN lower-mid tiers, is the 'push and tank' style as aggressive as the KM BB's (I assume not)? Should I expect to use secondaries, or am I mostly a mid-range potential-damage shell-magnet? I'm wanting to play a BB line that is semi-aggressive and is good 'close' support for cruisers but doesn't rely too heavily on AI to score damage (a.k.a. KM secondaries). Was considering IJN for their accuracy, but having seen videos of the uber-static playstyle of the Yamato, I'm not convinced :cap_book:.

11 minutes ago, ShinGetsu said:

Iowa is a ship to be played by moving constantly, using its mobility, concealment and firepower.

That sounds like it could be fun!

[UTW]
8,064 posts
6,701 battles

Colorado and the like are far too slow and too squishy to be played very agressive. They are small, compact ships, very agile, with a lot of firepower, but very slow.

Honestly they aren't very interesting.

2 minutes ago, Rusty_9 said:

That sounds like it could be fun!

Montana is my favourite tier 10 for a reason.

[W-C]
Players
421 posts
1,775 battles
26 minutes ago, ShinGetsu said:

Honestly they aren't very interesting.

26 minutes ago, ShinGetsu said:

Montana is my favourite tier 10 for a reason.

So basically, USN BB's you grind to get to T9 and 10 where they become fun :)?

What are mid-tier (7/8) IJN like?

[UTW]
8,064 posts
6,701 battles

Colorado is slooooooooooooooooooooow but packs an impressive firepower and is very agile.

NC is very much like Iowa. Slower, with very slow shells and high gun arcs, but accurate and can get as low as 11.8km concealment which mitigates the horrible gun arcs. Very resistant as long as you don't give broadside. It can be played like Iowa, but when top tier it's even better at being a big, very annoying tank bow-on with 6 accurate 406.

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles
1 hour ago, Rusty_9 said:

So basically, USN BB's you grind to get to T9 and 10 where they become fun :)?

What are mid-tier (7/8) IJN like?

I enjoyed Colorado aside from the gamble of where you go at the start of the game that basically dictates the outcome, because you're too slow to undo that decision if it turns out the entire enemy team is on the other side of the map. If you're in the right place though it's prettt fun and satisfying. New Mex was pretty fun too actually, with the same caveat.

It definitely gets fun at NC though! :cap_like:

Edit: did you mean to say IJN?

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,843 posts
2,580 battles
3 minutes ago, VC381 said:

I enjoyed Colorado aside from the gamble of where you go at the start of the game that basically dictates the outcome, because you're too slow to undo that decision if it turns out the entire enemy team is on the other side of the map. If you're in the right place though it's prettt fun and satisfying. New Mex was pretty fun too actually, with the same caveat.

It definitely gets fun at NC though! :cap_like:

One good thing about that, it teaches you proper positioning. If you fail to learn that then the slow USN bb's will be very painful indeed..

• Cool 1

[W-C]
Players
421 posts
1,775 battles
15 minutes ago, VC381 said:

lol, yeah, I did :Smile_teethhappy:

11 minutes ago, lafeel said:

it teaches you proper positioning

Good, because whilst I feel I have a better grasp of the mechanics etc, this is one area I need a lot of improvement in (and predicting battle flow).

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles
24 minutes ago, Rusty_9 said:

lol, yeah, I did :Smile_teethhappy:

In that case, Nagato and Amagi are both great ships. Amagi in particular is also very fast and meant to be played on the move and wiggling, and has the most firepower at T8. Do you enjoy Kongo? Imagine Kongo on steroids... you're probably halfway there.

But this thread is about NC and Iowa :Smile_sceptic:

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
18 posts
892 battles

Thank you to everyone whos got involved on this.

I'm actually really into the game but since using the NC and Iowa i've been lost.  I'll try your suggestions and post back. Thanks again.

[POI--]
Players
3,878 posts
5,011 battles
4 hours ago, ShinGetsu said:

Colorado is slooooooooooooooooooooow but packs an impressive firepower and is very agile.

NC is very much like Iowa. Slower, with very slow shells and high gun arcs, but accurate and can get as low as 11.8km concealment which mitigates the horrible gun arcs. Very resistant as long as you don't give broadside. It can be played like Iowa, but when top tier it's even better at being a big, very annoying tank bow-on with 6 accurate 406.

Is Colorado any better in firepower than the Nagato? I know it has better turning radius and has a tankier armour scheme and heal compared to Nagato's speed and highest silver hp. But gun-wise?

Beta Tester
1,843 posts
2,580 battles
8 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

Is Colorado any better in firepower than the Nagato? I know it has better turning radius and has a tankier armour scheme and heal compared to Nagato's speed and highest silver hp. But gun-wise?

Haven't played either, but sure feels like they both hit like a *edited* truck when you're on the receiving end.

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles
15 minutes ago, Riselotte said:

Basically the same on paper, actually Nagato has a really tiny advantage in muzzle velocity and damage per shell but 2 seconds slower reload. I think Nagato has better dispersion at range while Colorado has better dispersion up close. I think sigma is the same but not 100% sure. So technically advantage Nagato but in practice the difference isn't big enough to matter.

Players
103 posts
3,874 battles
15 hours ago, VC381 said:

Basically the same on paper, actually Nagato has a really tiny advantage in muzzle velocity and damage per shell but 2 seconds slower reload. I think Nagato has better dispersion at range while Colorado has better dispersion up close. I think sigma is the same but not 100% sure. So technically advantage Nagato but in practice the difference isn't big enough to matter.

Plus Colorado turns (much) better and the turrets themselves turn slightly better as well.

Perhaps it also has more favourable turret arcs as well, but can't be sure since I did not play the Nagato (perhaps someone who played both can confirm/deny?).

In the end I'd rate theoretical firepower slightly better on Nagato, but effective firepower fairly equal.

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles
13 minutes ago, fgibert said:

Perhaps it also has more favourable turret arcs as well, but can't be sure since I did not play the Nagato (perhaps someone who played both can confirm/deny?).

No noticeable difference here either.

Nagato also has slightly better armour penetration at all ranges.

Beta Tester
1,843 posts
2,580 battles
9 hours ago, VC381 said:

No noticeable difference here either.

Nagato also has slightly better armour penetration at all ranges.

Presumably due to firing higher caliber (and therefore heavier) shells (possibly) at a higher mv.