Server Downtime 21/02 04:00 UTC Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Fediuld

Make Radar & Hydro not working behind islands

63 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
37 posts
1,702 battles

Is fricking impossible to play with any type of ship  these days where there are cruisers hiding behind every island and their only purpose is to radar the enemies. 
Radars and  Hydro acoustics rely on the signal bouncing off the metallic surfaces, and returning the emitted signal back to the receiver. 

They do not operate from a radar based in orbit, hence is impossible to pick signals to the other side of the island. And this is the reason radars are positioned on hills and mountains and mainly the top most points of the area they cover. Not at the vale or inside caves. 

The issue existed previously, but now every single battle is pested with 4-6 radars, many of which overlapping each other constantly killing the game. 

WG managed to kill WoWarplanes during beta, changing the flight mechanics, which made the Russian UFOs.

Now with the radars they just completely destroy WOWS. While WOT is already beyond repair until the removal of the 268 v4. 

I wonder who makes these retarded decisions, because is not the developers. 

• Cool 8
  • Boring 3

Players
961 posts
4,916 battles
2 minutes ago, Fediuld said:

Is fricking impossible to play with any type of ship  these days where there are cruisers hiding behind every island and their only purpose is to radar the enemies. 
Radars and  Hydro acoustics rely on the signal bouncing off the metallic surfaces, and returning the emitted signal back to the receiver. 

They do not operate from a radar based in orbit, hence is impossible to pick signals to the other side of the island. And this is the reason radars are positioned on hills and mountains and mainly the top most points of the area they cover. Not at the vale or inside caves. 

The issue existed previously, but now every single battle is pested with 4-6 radars, many of which overlapping each other constantly killing the game. 

WG managed to kill WoWarplanes during beta, changing the flight mechanics, which made the Russian UFOs. Now with the radars they just completely destroy WOWS. 

Right now there are quite a lot due to Cleveland, but it can both be countered and played around. Change your playstyle a bit and you'll be fine. 

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
37 posts
1,702 battles
2 minutes ago, dCK_Ad_Hominem said:

Right now there are quite a lot due to Cleveland, but it can both be countered and played around. Change your playstyle a bit and you'll be fine. 

Camping at the edge of the map with a cruiser, DD or BB is not an option. This is random battles. The avg IQ is pretty low. 

We cannot use the islands any more to peak around and catch our opponents in surprise and crossfire. DDs cannot cap even behind islands any more either. 

• Cool 1

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,834 posts
14,197 battles

Has already been discussed, the official answer is no.

Reason? It would make the game too complicated for the average player.

I'm not even joking, that is what the official statement said.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Beta Tester
5,068 posts
2,939 battles
1 minute ago, El2aZeR said:

It would make the game too complicated for the average player.

Or too complicated for WG to code.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

Players
2,417 posts
14,588 battles
19 minutes ago, Fediuld said:

I wonder who makes these retarded decisions...

Look at the answer above. They actually said that.   :Smile_amazed:

Just to addon, while I am not a fan of the through Island ability, any change in this would be fairly dramatic game play wise.

[ADRIA]
Players
4,569 posts
6,874 battles

Ok, you want realistic radar that can't see through islands? Add to that the realistic part where it runs all the time instead of just a minute with some random cooldown :cap_like:

• Cool 4

[POI--]
Players
4,157 posts
5,167 battles
2 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

It might sound absurd, but we all have seen the "average player". at least half of them I wouldn't trust with anything that has remotely sharp edges.

As to OP's concern: Radar is inconvenient, but not gamebreaking. Please don't use realism as an argument, because if you do, I want to know why my radar and hydro doesn't last the entire game and why I need to choose between it and consumables that obviously are accommodated in other parts of the ship. Realism is a piss-poor argument in this game.

• Boring 1

Players
961 posts
4,916 battles
12 minutes ago, Fediuld said:

Camping at the edge of the map with a cruiser, DD or BB is not an option. This is random battles. The avg IQ is pretty low. 

We cannot use the islands any more to peak around and catch our opponents in surprise and crossfire. DDs cannot cap even behind islands any more either. 

I'm not talking about camping. Just ignore the caps with your dd, flank around, take the fight to their dds, spot the radar cruisers and wait for your team to make their position very uncomfortable for them. Thankfully only chapa and mino have radar extending beyond their spotting range and us cruisers have trouble landing shots if you evade well. Moskva is scary, but you should know where it is beforehand and outspot it easily. Just adapt. Radar is far from the worst thing the game is suffering from. 

[BABBY]
Beta Tester
1,465 posts
25 minutes ago, LastButterfly said:

Or too complicated for WG to code.

I don't think even WG are so incompetent that they can't literally copy-paste the code for regular line of sight... yet equally bizzare is the reason that it would be too complicated for players, when WoT has much deeper spotting mechanics and is no less popular for it.

• Cool 2

[TOXIC]
[TOXIC]
Players
4,140 posts
10,930 battles
38 minutes ago, Fediuld said:

WG managed to kill WoWarplanes during beta, changing the flight mechanics, which made the Russian UFOs.

Now with the radars they just completely destroy WOWS. While WOT is already beyond repair until the removal of the 268 v4. 

I wonder who makes these retarded decisions, because is not the developers. 

I don't like Radar working through islands (never did, never will) but you're overreacting - and I say this as a DD main who doesn't exactly camp at map border, I can assure you.

Radar certainly can be played around and the currently inflated Radar population is simply the result of changes to USN cruiser tree. But these are not some forgivable, easy to play ships - the wavve of popularity will come and go, leaving us with the same USN cruiser players that were playing USN cruisers up till now. It won't take long for the number of Radars in games to go back to normal.

It would be nice to see Radar bound to line-of-sight mechanics (ignoring only concealment values and smokes, not hard cover) but it's not something worth crying how "it's impossible to play with any type of ship", especially considering that cruisers and BBs tend to be beyond Radar range, with the latter hardly ever caring about being Radared in the first place. British cruisers are certainly suffering a bit and DD gameplay became more passive than usual, but all these Radars are not nearly as much of a problem as you imply.

Players
3,976 posts
7,529 battles
24 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Ok, you want realistic radar that can't see through islands? Add to that the realistic part where it runs all the time instead of just a minute with some random cooldown :cap_like:

Also give USN ships an aimbot to represent their advanced gun fire controls. Oh and they should ignore weather/time of day conditions as well

[HAERT]
[HAERT]
Players
1,204 posts
2,462 battles
35 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

I couldn't believe it when WG said that, given that normal spotting mechanics relies on lIne of sight.

Why would the average player that can grasp that concept, not understand that Radar and Hydro work on the same principle

[YARRR]
Beta Tester
7,834 posts
14,197 battles
3 minutes ago, Fat_Maniac said:

Why would the average player that can grasp that concept, not understand that Radar and Hydro work on the same principle

I mean, why can't the average player understand that to dodge torps you need to use WASD?

While it is a bad reason to not change radar/hydro to rely on line of sight, the statement by itself is actually true.

[OGHF]
Players
633 posts
11,478 battles

We can not change the mechanics of radar in game, but and a big one, there are maps that where you spawn can win you the game with radar ships as you can cap and use radar behind island( the map If I remember is North) that completely stops opposing side being able to get into the spawn with out getting obliterated.

so, my two penneth worth is to change the maps so as to stop one side being able to dominate with radar depending on  where they spawn.

[POP]
Players
330 posts
7,873 battles

It would change radar utility. Nothing makes me smile as much as radaring in my Yueyang or hydroing in my Z-52 the poor cap contesting enemy DD behind the island for my teammates to shoot at.

[SCRUB]
Players
2,814 posts
7,553 battles

Im not sure how radar and hydro could be bound to spotting line of sight.

Currently they work as a detection bubble ... thats entirely different implementation. Maybe some day, but surely not soon.

[RL7S]
Players
139 posts
2,033 battles
1 hour ago, nambr9 said:

Im not sure how radar and hydro could be bound to spotting line of sight.

Currently they work as a detection bubble ... thats entirely different implementation. Maybe some day, but surely not soon.

Via the existing line of sight mechanics?

Childs play to make radar work like vision except it dispels camo inside it's radius.

• Cool 1

[BFS]
Beta Tester
955 posts
5,385 battles

Well, if they won't prevent radar or hydro from going through islands let us fire our torpedoes through islands as well.   Yes, I know it's never going to happen....

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[WGP2W]
1,442 posts
10,011 battles

After so many radar ships incoming, even some existing ones getting radars.. I am afraid high tier games are going to be crap :(

Players
495 posts
9,431 battles

TBH the real way to 'fix' radar is to give each he shell that hits a transmitting ship a small chance of disableing the radar before the usual time

ir if you are in a destroyer and can see the sod illuminating you then if you and your mates spam him with HE you have a chance of turning his radar off and then dissapearing back into your own smoke 

• Cool 2

[IRQ]
Players
2,753 posts
6,638 battles

A ship using radar or hydro should be automatically detected by any ship it spots with radar or hydro, much like if you smoke up you can no longer spot enemies.

Radar and hydro going through islands is dumber than WG thinks the playerbase is. Having them be line of sight based would not be particularly complicated. Considering the amount of complaints about how it doesn't make sense for them to go through mountains, I would think the natural assumption that they're not wallhacks would be easier to understand, not harder. I mostly think WG just doesn't care about it and wave it off with some nonesense excuse.

[BFS]
Beta Tester
955 posts
5,385 battles
57 minutes ago, zengaze said:

It's only a matter of time until a jamming consumable appears.

Only available for gold no doubt.