gamer927

Z-39 captain buils and recommended playstyles

7 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
1,979 posts
2,159 battles

Commander Cornflakes recommended build in post #2 above is a good and solid one. And it brings up a question that has been nagging me for quite a while.

Even though I seldom see it being advocated on the forum, I have a lingering affection for the 'Expert Marksman' skill for any destroyer whose turrets have a 180 degree turning time in the vicinity of 20 seconds. It may be more of a "feeling" than an actual, solid difference to the gameplay, but even a few seconds better turning time makes a huge difference to me when I drive around dodging incoming fire in a small, manoeuvrable vessel. I've got the 'Expert Marksman' skill on my Blyskawica, my Gadjah Mada and my Gremyaschy/Leningrad, and I have most definitely seen myself invest in it for my Ernst Gaede/Z-39(T-61) commander as well. I am as of yet undecided when it comes to my Haida, since her "Creeping Predator" tactic within the moving smoke might make it less imperative to be able to dodge and weave around as much, but she certainly has slow enough turrets that they could use all the help they can get.

But maybe I've got it all wrong? Has the 'Expert Marksman' skill been so thoroughly eclipsed by other skills in the current game meta, or is it just the 152 mm guns on the Z-39 (and the Ernst Gaede) that benefit too little?

:fish_book:

[OM]
Beta Tester, WoWs Wiki Team
3,436 posts
11,419 battles
Vor 51 Minuten, Procrastes sagte:

Commander Cornflakes recommended build in post #2 above is a good and solid one. And it brings up a question that has been nagging me for quite a while.

Even though I seldom see it being advocated on the forum, I have a lingering affection for the 'Expert Marksman' skill for any destroyer whose turrets have a 180 degree turning time in the vicinity of 20 seconds. It may be more of a "feeling" than an actual, solid difference to the gameplay, but even a few seconds better turning time makes a huge difference to me when I drive around dodging incoming fire in a small, manoeuvrable vessel. I've got the 'Expert Marksman' skill on my Blyskawica, my Gadjah Mada and my Gremyaschy/Leningrad, and I have most definitely seen myself invest in it for my Ernst Gaede/Z-39(T-61) commander as well. I am as of yet undecided when it comes to my Haida, since her "Creeping Predator" tactic within the moving smoke might make it less imperative to be able to dodge and weave around as much, but she certainly has slow enough turrets that they could use all the help they can get.

But maybe I've got it all wrong? Has the 'Expert Marksman' skill been so thoroughly eclipsed by other skills in the current game meta, or is it just the 152 mm guns on the Z-39 (and the Ernst Gaede) that benefit too little?

:fish_book:

EM is a valid skill, even on some DDs. I would never choose it before Last Stand, but it's an acceptable replacement for Adrenaline Rush if you feel more comfortable with it and use the guns often enough to make it worth. I'd take it as one of the last skills though.

• Cool 1

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles

@Procrastes I completely agree many DDs are more comfortable with EM but the problem with the Z-39 (don't have but do have Z-23) is that the guns are 150mm and don't benefit from the bigger EM bonus for small guns. So EM on Z-39 only nets you 1.8s turn time (20.7 vs 22.5) while for example on GM you get 3.6 seconds (14.4 vs 18). It may be the make or break between keeping guns on target or not, and I do use EM on cruisers with 20-25s turn time, but on a DD where spare points are so hard to come by it's harder to justify for a small gain.

[HOUSE]
Players
205 posts
4,418 battles

The problem with EM on the 150 mm equipped Zerstörers are that they don't benefit greately from it and they are not intended to play as knifefighters but more ambushers with their hydro.

I avoided the big guns on my Ernst Geade and pnly reason I use them on Z23 is +1 barrel. They are quite good at starting fires as well and can do good damage against broadside cruisers. 

The build i recommend would be (in following order): PM, LS, SE, CE, AR or TAE, the last 4 points up to 19 is your choice depending on how you play it, hybrid, torpedo, gunboat.