You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
worldwartwo1941

Target acquisition modification + hydro: do they stack?

4 comments in this topic

Question

Players
6 posts
3,693 battles

I'm thinking of getting the target aquisition modification for my Bismarck IF it gives a bonus to hydro ship/torpedo spotting range.  Would be a shame to waste 2 mill on something useless.

3 answers to this question

[POI--]
Players
3,879 posts
5,016 battles

Does it give such bonuses? Yes.

Is it worth it? No.

TAM is just not good enough to not validate slotting Concealment mod there, for about every ship that has access to this module. For stealthy ships, the added concealment allows for better using the stealth advantage, for ships like Bismarck, which are seen from quite a bit away, Concealment mod makes it easier to actually disengage and fade from view if you are about to go down and need to retreat to heal up before rejoining the fight. Especially Bismarck, which often gets specced for secondaries with no Concealment Expert skill, the module patches that up a bit. Meanwhile, Bismarck also is the one BB at T8 that has the best options for spotting ships and torpedoes, as it gets the hydro-acoustic search consumable. TAM would improve your hydro range, but frankly, concealment you can benefit from in pretty much all your games. Extented hydro range meanwhile is rare to be decisive. I personally use the hydro often offensively to go up against smokes and even then, the default range works out. Meanwhile, if you have Bismarck secondary specced and got no concealment mod, in a T9-10 game, you'd not just be bottom tier, you'd also be outspotted by pretty much everyone.

I'd argue that the steering gears mod is worth more than TAM in this slot, given it makes Bismarck actually somewhat agile, but neither is worth not getting concealment mod instead.

[ADRIA]
Players
4,214 posts
6,775 battles

Afaik it stacks somewhat, not by the full amount

Still, it's complete garbage compared to Concealment, you should pretty much never take TASM1 over CSM1