Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Pametrada

Something I just noticed about the N.O.

14 comments in this topic

Players
171 posts
2,613 battles

With the US cruiser line change,  I'm now the proud owner of the USS New Orleans - and upon close inspection, I see that from 'B' turret forward, the hull is welded, while going back to the aft end, it is riveted.

Damn, WG - you guys are good !   :Smile_Default:

• Cool 2

[ADRIA]
Players
4,259 posts
6,795 battles
1 hour ago, Pametrada said:

from 'B' turret forward, the hull is welded, while going back to the aft end, it is riveted.

I'd take a safe guess that this is the reason for it :Smile_teethhappy:

56956676ee35a8c5d627f340245cf551.jpg

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,844 posts
2,580 battles
7 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:

I'd take a safe guess that this is the reason for it :Smile_teethhappy:

56956676ee35a8c5d627f340245cf551.jpg

Presumably. Also, @Pametrada not to doubt your word or anything, but just how closely do you have to be looking to see it because I don't :Smile_teethhappy:

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles

If this is the case (can't check now) it's a very cool touch, nice attention to detail.

However, if this is the replacement bow it doesn't make a lot of sense, since basically everything else about the 3D model we have for New Orleans is actually based on San Francisco in 1944, which did not have her bow replaced.

Players
171 posts
2,613 battles
2 hours ago, lafeel said:

Presumably. Also, @Pametrada not to doubt your word or anything, but just how closely do you have to be looking to see it because I don't :Smile_teethhappy:

If you zoom in as close as possible, you can see the rivetted vertical joints from the stern, going forward as far as B turret, then welded from there on forward. :Smile_Default:

22 minutes ago, VC381 said:

If this is the case (can't check now) it's a very interesting touch.

However, if this is the replacement bow it doesn't make a lot of sense, since basically everything else about the 3D model we have for New Orleans is actually based on San Francisco in 1944, which did not have her bow replaced?

See Wilkatis' photo above. The New Orleans was struck by a torpedo at the battle of Tassafaronga, which detonated her forward magazine and blew the bow off, along with 'A' turret. She received a new bow once back in the USA, and was refurbished throughout. Of course, they used methods that were more modern than from the time she was first constructed - i.e.welding instead of riveting.

Here's a photo of her with a small temporary bow, which was fitted for her journey back to the USA ( look up USS Shaw DD-373, damaged at Pearl Harbour - very much the same arrangements ).

3hAEiig.jpg

Very well done, WG. This is one of the reasons I enjoy this game - exploring the ship models, reading up their history, and getting a bit of an education on them. :Smile_great:

• Cool 1

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles

Yes I know that. All I was saying is it makes the in-game ship an odd mix of details. Welded bow from New Orleans but rest from San Francisco. And yes I know New Orleans also was refitted with the smaller bridge, but there is a catalogue of small details on the in-game model that are unique to San Francisco. So WG developers clearly used plans/drawings of CA-38 to make the 3D model then decided when doing textures to use the welded bow of CA-32.

Players
171 posts
2,613 battles
1 minute ago, VC381 said:

Yes I know that. All I was saying is it makes the in-game ship an odd mix of details. Welded bow from New Orleans but rest from San Francisco. And yes I know New Orleans also was refitted with the smaller bridge, but there is a catalogue of small details on the in-game model that are unique to San Francisco. So WG developers clearly used plans/drawings of CA-38 to make the 3D model then decided when doing textures to use the welded bow of CA-32.

Sorry, VC381, I obviously missed your point. I agree that WG may well have used drawings of CA-38, if they were more readily available than those for CA-32. But I do think that making the effort to recall the new forward hull is commendable. :Smile_Default:

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles
5 minutes ago, Pametrada said:

Sorry, VC381, I obviously missed your point. I agree that WG may well have used drawings of CA-38, if they were more readily available than those for CA-32. But I do think that making the effort to recall the new forward hull is commendable. :Smile_Default:

I agree, it is a nice touch :Smile_smile: and it's fine that they've done that because the hull represents the class and we have other ships with mixed (sometimes fictional) details. I was just adding to the discussion as this is one of my favourite ship classes both in game and historically.

• Cool 1

Players
2,772 posts
12,699 battles
2 hours ago, Pametrada said:

Very well done, WG. This is one of the reasons I enjoy this game - exploring the ship models, reading up their history, and getting a bit of an education on them. :Smile_great:

Yes - I love looking at the ships in port, and Wargaming have done a very nice job with the models.

In fact it is the main reason for playing the game, because it fits in well with my life long passion for ships.

The game itself is great - but TBH has just become a grind. (I hurry to point out that this is my problem)

• Cool 2

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,346 posts
14,977 battles
4 hours ago, Pametrada said:

3hAEiig.jpg

Tier 6 Premium Version of the ship anyone anyone????   :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

Players
894 posts
11,126 battles
15 minutes ago, T0byJug said:

"Please, welcome our new T6 premium ship, the Rleans!" :fish_haloween:

• Funny 1

Players
171 posts
2,613 battles
25 minutes ago, T0byJug said:

13 minutes ago, AkosJaccik said:

"Please, welcome our new T6 premium ship, the Rleans!" :fish_haloween:

Haha, yes - try bow-tanking in that one !  WG, if you're ever looking for a Very Light Cruiser tech tree, there's your start !  :Smile_Default:

Notice that the guns have been removed from the remaining forward turret. VC381 might be able to confirm this - I  read they were laid out on the aft deck to help weigh down the relative increase in buoyancy towards the rear of the ship.

Beta Tester
1,844 posts
2,580 battles
6 minutes ago, Pametrada said:

Haha, yes - try bow-tanking in that one !  WG, if you're ever looking for a Very Light Cruiser tech tree, there's your start !  :Smile_Default:

Notice that the guns have been removed from the remaining forward turret. VC381 might be able to confirm this - I  read they were laid out on the aft deck to help weigh down the relative increase in buoyancy towards the rear of the ship.

Doesn't look like it in that image, all I see back there is AA. The guns definetly have been removed from B turret though (would have made her even more nose heavy than otherwise if present no doubt)

Sign in to follow this