Teekesselchen

Deep Water Torpedo arming time bug

10 comments in this topic

[UNOVI]
Players
73 posts
9,059 battles

So I  just had this very weird interaction at the end of a game: https://streamable.com/yqt1p

A couple weird things happen:

1. My shells seem to appear to the right of where they were fired, and seem to miss Chung Mu entirely, yet four hits register. Might just be a graphical bug though.
  2. Chung Mu's torps hit the bow before their arming range, but they do not disappear - rather, they pass into the ship and detonate there. Looks like a serious gameplay bug.
  3. (also the score does some weird stuff there since both our kills are registered on the same score tick, but I suppose this is just a visual bug as well)

Torpedoes have a minimum arming distance, which means that torpedoes hitting a ship point blank simply disappear. It's a regular interaction that happens frequently with bad carrier drops, and occasionally when a torp cruiser or DD tries to torp from too close up during a brawl. However, in this case there appears to be something wrong. Look at this screenshot for reference:

TlALpZX.jpg

The torpedo marker shows that the arming distance clearly only begins inside the ship. The point where they collide with the bow is well before they can arm. Therefore they should disappear as soon as they touch the bow.

However, upon firing this happens instead:

wbCuWlI.jpg

All five torpedoes "ghosted" through the bow and detonated exactly at their arming range inside the ship.

In comparison, this is what normally happens:

8F4Y8Jl.jpg

When the torpedoes touch the ship before they reach the coloured marker, they simply disappear.

[ADRIA]
Players
4,179 posts
6,766 battles

Question: Did this happen on live and that's why you went to look at the replay, or did you just check through replays and then noticed this?

It looks a lot like a simple replay desync

[IRQ]
Players
2,719 posts
6,638 battles

The video shows desynch (your shells were off-target in the video, but registered as hits), so exact visuals are not to be expected.

However, I don't think the desynch is enough to explain the weird torpedo behaviour. Considering where the DD was when the torps were firing (which you can see from the splashes), they'd have to be fired quite a long time before that to be outside arming distance. So for all appearances, it looks like a bug to me.

It could still be a desych if the torpedoes were fired to the side, and didn't hit your ship until they armed, but that doesn't look likely.

[ADRIA]
Players
4,179 posts
6,766 battles

Never mind, 1 attempt to test it and it's instant success at reproducing it *clap clap*

[ADRIA]
Players
4,179 posts
6,766 battles

Current observations:

Tested DWTs (Chung Mu) vs BBs (t10)

• Bow on = stern on (so I'll mention just one but it refers to both)
  • Bow on torps explode inside the ship (A)
  • Angled bow torping towards the ship pass through harmlessly, can hit ships behind (B)
  • Side torping on bow acts as it should (C)
  • Angled bow torping away from the ship acts as intended (D)
  • Midships side torping acting as intended (E)

X - explosion, O - dud

u3u4fnU.png

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
1,284 posts
7,514 battles

Lol good to know.

Maybe come in handy in that 1 in a 1000 games where BBs want to ram me and he manages to get below arming distance before i reload.

stronk programming right there wg. :cap_haloween:

[UNOVI]
Players
73 posts
9,059 battles
2 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Question: Did this happen on live and that's why you went to look at the replay, or did you just check through replays and then noticed this?

It looks a lot like a simple replay desync

Yes it's a replay, but I looked at it specifically because the things happened live exactly this. Especially for the torps you can see it from the fact that I actually rammed him.

[ADRIA]
Players
4,179 posts
6,766 battles

Long story short:

What can do it? Any surface launched torps - DWT, normal torps, from BB, CA, CL, DD. Couldn't reproduce it with a CV

Who are the victims? Any ships with large enough bow / stern. Most BBs (not all), lots of CVs (not all), a few bigger cruisers (like Moskva / Kronstadt)

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
Players
4,179 posts
6,766 battles

The description part:

How it works (as far as I myself understand it)

• Use this image for a general idea, I'll refer to the directions as they are marked in it:
u3u4fnU.png
Also X means an explosion, O means a dud hit

• Bow and Stern are affected identically. For the sake of simplicity I'll be mentioning only (mostly?) "bow", but you can replace that with "stern" and all (most?) points will still hold true

• Midships is pretty much unaffected (apart from being hit by torps that magically passed through other parts before it). Actually - didn't pay attention if those torps hit as if they hit the bow or midships? Anyone want to figure that out? :D

What / who can do it?
Any surface torpedo capable ship (BB, CA, CL, DD) regardless of it carrying DW or Normal torpedoes
I did not manage to reproduce this with CV dropped torpedoes - I could not get them accurate enough. I will probably ask some higher-skill CV players if they maybe want to try reproducing this

What / who can be hit?
Ships with big bow (like most BBs) are the obvious easy targets, but I'm rather confident that if you are accurate enough this can strike against any target, even the smallest DDs

By "accurate enough" I mean that the torpedo (path A) has to hit the bow before it arms, but then arm before it hits anything else (a.k.a. before it reaches the 1st turret as a general guideline). As you can imagine on a DD this leaves very little room for error, while a BB has plenty of space for you to get that "good enough" launch. Torp arming points being inaccurate & generally messed up doesn't help for hitting a small target (check both recommended videos at the end of this vid to see what I'm talking about)

What I find rather interesting are the "passing through" torpedoes (path B). They have to be launched in a slight angle outwards from perpendicular (if you go far enough outwards instead of passing through they will hit the ship). This seems to suggest that the game sees the bow differently depending on you being on its side or ahead of it, and that this "ahead of it" cone is where the bug lies in.
Paths C & D (perpendicular, and launching from inwards angle) always produce duds (as they should) due to the short range

• Cool 1