Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Aotearas

Map: Fault Line

15 comments in this topic

[SCRUB]
Players
7,299 posts
9,543 battles

I hate this map.

And I don't mean I dislike it, I genuinely HATE this map. Nothing but bad games on it. Why you may ask?

The whole map is horribly segmented. To refer to Domination mode for easier orientation:

• The A cap offers at least good enough cover to actually properly fight without just trading HP in a slugging match, but the approaches of that cap make it impossible to support anything at B cap unless you're right in the A cap, exposing yourself to return fire from B, nevermind all the enemy ships that naturally have a line of fire into A,
  • The B cap is a giant deathtrap for anything that can't rely on stealth to stay hidden, due to the multiple flanking islands giving perfect cover for defending ships, whereas the only possible safe haven is the small island at the very center of B. But reaching that in anything that isn't a DD is paid for in lots of HP and once' you're actually there, tough look getting out of there again without getting shot to pieces trying to get away.
  • The C cap is just stupid. First of all the design is just a long, narrow corridor. No cover except for the corridor entrances and precious little space to manouver. Again, if faced with opposition this cap is just a meatgrinder for anything that isn't a DD which can get out of action by dropping a defensive smoke. Due to the little space and ranges involved in fighting over this cap, not even providing a smoke for allied cruisers works, because any DD contesting the cap will still spot them the moment they try to fire from smoke.

This map is basically just three different, isolated combat zones, two of which are a nightmare for anything except DDs (which also makes them unfavourable for DDs because it means precious little support to expect).

Naturally, and we can readily see this happening in nearly every game on this map, most of the ships make towards A at the start, the only cap on this map where people can actually fight with nearly every ship class. B is almost unilaterally ignored (seriously, the amount of times I see anyone go for B before the A fight has been won (and with that more often than not the entire game since most forces congregate there anyway) is precariously low) because it's just not worth risking your ship at the start of a match with precious little chances of success.

But then of course there's always those people who think going C is a great idea. Those guys either trade lots of HP trying to get the cap when the enemy contests, or they waste 5+ minutes getting there and out again and that's not even factoring in the time it takes for them to get into position to fight anything at A where almost always the rest of the action is to be found.

And THAT's not even talking about all the idiots that go up/down the 9/10 line on friggin' Standard Battle mode ... "Ima go flank them up that channel hurrdurr, they're never going to expect that, hurrdurr" ... only made better when the people flanking along that route are the usual slow as hell 21 knots battleships.

Fault Line is in my opinion easily the single worst map in this game. I can't even imagine how bad it must've been playing this with tier X ships back when it was still in the rotation for hightiers.

To improve the map, I'd have the following suggestions:

• Lower the height on the islands covering the A approaches so ships could fire over them towards B and vice cersa (islands should still be high enough that ships sailing close to it are protected, but ships sailing a bit further away can fire over them without getting blocked)
  • Secondly, the fortress ring around B has to be redesigned from scratch to make it a more survivable place for non-DDs so people can actually fight over that part of the map without just throwing themselves into a meatgrinder that is skewed absurdly in favour for the defenders. It doesn't help that the islands also limit the entry and exit paths to and from the B cap, which once again only helps to make any push into that cap more risky for attackers.
  • Thirdly, I'd lower the height of the islands isolating C from B (again so that ships can fire over them to B and vice versa, same deal as with the A approaches basically) and possibly add more gaps in between for ships to fit (say one such gap for the north and south line sen from the existing Lion's Head channel) to add more entry and exit points that can be used.

My question after this little rant would be, am I talking absolute bollocks or do some people agree if? If yes to the latter, please add how you think the map could be improved. If yes to the former ... well, you'd have to give some awfully convinced arguments but go ahead and try anyway.

@MrConway, @Tuccy and @Sub_Octavian get summoned for obvious reasons.

/rant

• Cool 2

[ONE2]
Players
2,396 posts
14,381 battles

Yeah, it could definitely be improved. Annoyingly I quite often spawn near C and invariably end up in a futile bloody slogging match there until we either win it or retreat without affecting the overall game much. Perhaps, if the huge blocking islands were re-positioned a bit to create fall back positions as well as reduced in size or something like that? :cap_hmm:

[DSW]
Players
3,792 posts
7,737 battles

while I dont disagree with your concrete points of criticism, and think your improvements would indeed make it a better map (if executed right ofc), I personally don't dislike the map as much as you. Sure, the huge blocks isolating B are not ideal, but for me, C cap has usually been a surprisingly good area to fight in. Decent for a holding action, interesting to push through...

Players
2,772 posts
12,699 battles

I started to keep a database of my games and recorded almost 1000 battles in it.

Guess which was my most played map? Guess which map I had the lowest win rate on? (by an order of magnitude)

Yep - Fault Line in both cases.

My win rate in all maps other than Fault Line is 14.5 percentage points greater!

And I wonder why I get frustrated with the game. :Smile_sad:

[POI--]
Players
3,892 posts
5,016 battles

The only ship where I'm fine with this map is Atlanta. Maybe because islands are nice and the range is too short to support other caps anyway.

But if you really want to suffer... any of those dreadnought BBs. Choose a cap. Crawl there with your 21-24 knots. Get frustrated by mountains blocking any potential shots at enemies while you are on the way. Watch as other flanks collapse any you can't do anything. And damn if you play something like Iron Duke, with atrocious turret traverse, where you can't even take pot shots through some gaps, because you need to turn the turrets the other way for later (going to A cap from the South via the narrow channel between the islands, you have a hard time shooting into B or approaching enemy BBs on port side, before you need the guns turned to starboard side to engage foes at A).

But indeed, this is my most disliked mid-tier map.

• Cool 3

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,835 posts
4,190 battles

Agree, by far my most hated mid tier map. Too easy to be completely useless no matter which way you choose to go, just by chance of the enemy team going the other way but you not being able to know about it due to separation. There's no tactics in that.

[IRQ]
Players
2,731 posts
6,638 battles

The A cap is mostly fine. It's more spacious than C, and I think lowering the islands east of A would mostly make it a pain for cruisers trying to support capping DDs than anything else.

The B cap is sort of like B on Trap or New Dawn, in that it's an area easy to shoot into with only a small island in the middle to hide behind (well, on Trap). However, both those maps have tighter cover around the cap which provides a little more cover.

I find the C cap to be somewhat similar to the old D cap on North, which is the worst map in the game. However, Fault Line isn't quite as large, so you're not so completely out of position for so long time. It's still a zone BBs shouldn't enter, excluding Kongo, although supporting from above or below is still mostly fine if you intend to turn inwards after the battle there is done.

The main problem I find is that there's usually one battle for the side caps, and that's it. After that there's very rarely any relevance to those parts of the map. They're too isolated and too easily protected to re-cap unless you're in a DD with most of the enemy team gone.

I'm not sure I agree with east side flanking in Standard Battles. For me that tends to work out well when I'm in a cruiser, and I've had many spectacular games like that (Leander kill record, to pick one). What I find more often is that the slow BBs go to the west side, slug it out over there, and are usually too late to do anything else if one side should get to the cap.

On the whole, the map is very awkward for slow battleships. The sides are isolated, and the middle can be very difficult to approach other than sailing outside the edges and shooting in.

[POI--]
Players
3,892 posts
5,016 battles
11 minutes ago, AnotherDuck said:

I find the C cap to be somewhat similar to the old D cap on North, which is the worst map in the game. However, Fault Line isn't quite as large, so you're not so completely out of position for so long time. It's still a zone BBs shouldn't enter, excluding Kongo, although supporting from above or below is still mostly fine if you intend to turn inwards after the battle there is done.

Or any other BB that can break 30 knots. Scharnhorst, Gneisenau, KGV, DoY and Hood are also not too terrible at C, though you really need to make sure you don't get stuck there, as you likely are a top tier BB and you either push through or you relocate, if your influence cannot be leveraged there.

[IRQ]
Players
2,731 posts
6,638 battles
2 hours ago, Riselotte said:

Or any other BB that can break 30 knots. Scharnhorst, Gneisenau, KGV, DoY and Hood are also not too terrible at C, though you really need to make sure you don't get stuck there, as you likely are a top tier BB and you either push through or you relocate, if your influence cannot be leveraged there.

Yeah, I was counting the low/mid tier ships that get to that map.

[POI--]
Players
3,892 posts
5,016 battles
15 minutes ago, AnotherDuck said:

Yeah, I was counting the low/mid tier ships that get to that map.

T7 can get the map too. And it still sucks for something like Colorado/Nagato.

[SCRUB]
Players
2,728 posts
7,387 battles

I like the map (from DD CL perspective).

Its limited for battleships ... specially the ones lemming to C.

Beta Tester
3,907 posts
13,842 battles
9 hours ago, Aotearas said:

My question after this little rant would be, am I talking absolute bollocks or do some people agree if? If yes to the latter, please add how you think the map could be improved. If yes to the former ... well, you'd have to give some awfully convinced arguments but go ahead and try anyway.

Only argument to say the map is okay as it is:

Today: Krasny Krim in T5 battle, Domination on Fault Line. Result: Three sinkers, 71k damage, won game...

First came an assist as I shelled an enemy DD at C so he managed to overlook the torps my allied DD sent at him. When a New York tried to sneak into C through the tight passage (near that "Lionhead Island") I managed to first stick three torps in it, then - as he of course repaired the flooding instantly - lit the barbeque... the shelling by an allied BB helped to get it's HP down, so in the end he burned out like Elton John's "Candle In The Wind".

"My" team was capping A then and a lone BB went for B, with two BBs and a cruiser of the enemy's team going in and through C. I harassed them, while running away in the general direction of A 'til the cavalry arrived. Managed to sink two more enemies - low HP ones - and capped B before looking for the last surviving enemies...

It was a fun game. Like many others I had on that map, playing a DD or the Leander or most of my other ships.... If you get a lousy team it might turn out a nightmare, but that's the same on any other map too.

So I can't say I agree with you, but what you write isn't totally bollocks... just a bit too much frustration and probably too much eagerness to win against horrible odds due to a potato team.

I on the other hand do like to win, but when I see the team being potatoes right from the start, I don't care much about winning or losing, but just want to sink as many enemies as possible in the most glorious way! And you can always do that on Fault Line :Smile_glasses:

[CATS]
Players
14,710 posts
10,879 battles

I agree that C is bad, but overall I REALLY like that map!

It gives a lot of cover and multiple approaches to cap A and B.

The mountains blocking C could be lower, that you can shoot over it in and out of C.

Beta Tester
3,907 posts
13,842 battles

Two battles on Fault Line: Domination today. One in Minekaze (win) and one in Crispy Creme (another win).

First battle with Minekaze - at a total of four DDs per team - saw me going straight for B, capping it, spotting an enemy DD and then continuing to spot... 54k damage, a sinker and a win...

In Crispy Creme I headed in the general direction of C with four other ships of "my" team, getting blasted in chat because I continued to fire in the general direction of the enemy team which "would give away our postition" to which I answered "exactly what I want". Stopped reading chat then, as a Nelson caught my interest, when it tried to cap B. The puny "ding-ding-ding" damage of the Crispy Creme is not enough to sink a Nelson, but throwing enough metal in it's direction keeps it from capping and a fire once or twice needs to be repaired which gives other allies the chance to sink it - which was what happened in the end. Terrible damage - only 12k - but again a win...

So... yeah, Fault Line is probably not to everyone's taste... but I like it.

Players
2,348 posts
6,672 battles

Fault Line is one of my most favorite maps! :Smile_great:

The more isolated caps are not some sort of design fault, they are tactical desicions or at least that's how I see them.

I like playing this map in any ship, yes also Colorado and Nagato (both which I finished grinding) and this map (due to it not being like most other maps) plays a bit differently. I'd very much not want to for instance remove the more isolated areas on the sides and the open cap in the center as these make this map more unique compared to most other maps which all kinda play all the same which make these maps more boring.

C cap, the corridor is in fact not very long and there's more cover from an island and the hole between the two larger islands. Yes this area is dangerous but I like dangerous and it's always fun! It's fast and you can get out fast as well.

B cap is a risk, but I've even managed to cap it with a BB in the beginning, the lolz! :Smile_trollface:

I also like that A and C are different in how they play, this map is one of the best ones in the game I think. I'm always happy whenever I get it and it makes me THINK what to do and how to react, taking into account distances and where the enemy might be hiding.

This map is so much better then most of the other maps (especially the higher tier ones) and this is one of the few maps with kinda more land area.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this